NJPW Thread (New Japan Pro Wrestling)

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: NJPW Thread (New Japan Pro Wrestling) 

Post#21 » by Marcus » Mon May 19, 2014 8:09 pm

jr lucosa wrote:Cole attacked AJ Styles.

I'd love a Adam v AJ Styles encounter. Makes for damn fine television.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,899

Post#22 » by skbucks1985 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:13 pm

Just got around to watching War of the Worlds, it was a better show than Border Wars so if you're going to watch one of the two this would probably be the one. This was the PPV with all the interpromotional matches while there was only one on Border Wars.

The opening with the Bullet Club coming out was really entertaining and when AJ started cutting his promo a 'f*** TNA' chant started and at that moment you knew you were at the Hammerstein Ballroom.

The first 2 matches were fine but nothing special. Jay Lethal and Kushida was really when it really felt like the show started to get going. Bullet Club vs the Briscoes was also a really good match. Nakamura vs Kevin Steen was probably the match I was looking more forward to than any other match on the card and it didn't disappoint. Unlike jr, I wasn't particularly happy with the Tanahashi-Bennet match. When the card was announced this was the match that a lot of people were critical of. Although it should be noted pretty much everything Michael Bennet does ROH fans are critical of. But, if say Chris Hero had been in this match instead it would've been a much better match.

The Young Bucks can be a pretty polarizing team. When you hear people make the, IMO pretty laughable, comments about Indy guys being spot monkeys and wrestling is about story telling as if there's one way to tell a story. But when they make those comments its people like The Young Bucks that they're talking about. But, I enjoy it and there match with reDragon was fantastic.

The last two matches had kind of an interesting crowd dynamic. I think everyone is very appreciative of what Liger has done in his career and he's a legend and in front of a hardcore crowd like this, he's an icon. There isn't a huge emotional investment in him right now, there isn't an emotional investment in seeing him win the ROH Title. And so what I may have come across as a dead crowd was a crowd whose emotional investment was seeing Liger, for many it was perhaps the first time they'd done so, rather than seeing him actually win. To illustrate this, when Adam Cole won the match he didn't get a ton of heat but when he refused to shake Liger's hand after the match that's when he got all the heat. And the last match, AJ's been a face in ROH and so people aren't booing him and it was mostly people sitting back and cheering the action moreso than cheering one guy or the other.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#23 » by jr lucosa » Sun May 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Back to the Yokohama Arena PPV was last night/early this morning. Overall the card was so-so, but there were some good matches.

The 8 man tag that involved the Bullet Club (Gallows, Anderson, Tonga, Yujiro), low card match, the match itself wasn't anything amazing but it wasn't bad either and most importantly it showed Yujiro Takahashi really fits in well with other BC members.

Bad Luck Fale vs Naito, again, not amazing but it's worth noting that Fale had another good singles match on a PPV card. A couple months back I wondered if he could do much of anything other than be big and look intimidating, but he's shown me something since then.

Nakamura vs Daniel Gracie - NJPW has been booking Daniel & Rolles Gracie for these MMA vs wrestling type of matches. In theory I get it, but it makes for terrible wrestling matches. I'm only mentioning this match because afterwards Bad Luck Fale came back out, stared down Nakamura and challenged him for the IWGP IC title.

Okada vs Styles was great yet again. 3 BC members entered with Styles but were sent back early. They came back out, distracted the ref and it looked like Yujiro was going to lay out Okada again but Tomohiro Ishii came out and attacked Yujiro, who interfered during Ishii's match earier in the night and the rest of the BC members were sent to the back again. I thought the storytelling was excellent all match long, Styles did retain and the Bullet Club members came out yet again to celebrate similar to the way they did at the Dontaku PPV.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by jr lucosa » Thu May 29, 2014 5:13 pm

Best of the Super Juniors starts tomorrow, I like the choice of wrestlers

This here does a pretty good job breaking it all down

http://puroresuspirit.wordpress.com/201 ... o-matches/
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by jr lucosa » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:11 pm

I really enjoyed the BOSJ finals match between Ricochet and KUSHIDA

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ywoc ... hida_sport

A little surprised with the outcome, but not disappointed, I would've been happy to see either guy win. The crowd was very into the match and behind both guys which always helps.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by jr lucosa » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:33 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/OneHourTees/status/481241295835238401[/tweet]

How cool!
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by jr lucosa » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:07 pm

Card just kept getting better last night which ended with yet another great match between AJ Styles and Okada ---> http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21ui8 ... kada_sport

Also, this suplex by Yujiro Takahashi was **** impressive

He uses the deadlift german with regularity but I've never seen that before.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#28 » by Marcus » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:12 pm

jr lucosa wrote:Card just kept getting better last night which ended with yet another great match between AJ Styles and Okada ---> http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21ui8 ... kada_sport

Also, this suplex by Yujiro Takahashi was **** impressive

He uses the deadlift german with regularity but I've never seen that before.

I need Cesaro to break this out during a match
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by jr lucosa » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:14 pm

Marcus wrote:I need Cesaro to break this out during a match

One of the few wrestlers I can think of that could potentially pull that off.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#30 » by Marcus » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:15 pm

jr lucosa wrote:
Marcus wrote:I need Cesaro to break this out during a match

One of the few wrestlers I can think of that could potentially pull that off.

immediately came to mind when I saw that suplex.
Watch More Basketball

jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by jr lucosa » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:28 pm

Cewsh with a very good explanation of G1 Climax and the wrestlers involved, for those of you who may be interested but wouldn't know where to start.

http://rajah.com/node/42224
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#32 » by SDM » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:19 pm

Gonna sit this one out. The last time I watched a program called "Climax" with a bunch of Japanese guys, I was grounded from using the computer for a month.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,791

Post#33 » by Stanford » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:26 pm

jr lucosa wrote:Cewsh with a very good explanation of G1 Climax and the wrestlers involved, for those of you who may be interested but wouldn't know where to start.

http://rajah.com/node/42224

Yeah! Read it yesterday. Works well as a primer.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by jr lucosa » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:11 pm

My favorite match of day 2 was once again the main event, this time it was Tanahashi vs Doc Gallows. Thats right, Doc Gallows just wrestled in the main event of a card and had a really entertaining match.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21zem ... lows_sport
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#35 » by Dunthreevy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:23 pm

Word is that Prince Devitt had officially signed with WWE and an announcement is soon to follow.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by Marcus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:29 pm

jr lucosa wrote:My favorite match of day 2 was once again the main event, this time it was Tanahashi vs Doc Gallows. Thats right, Doc Gallows just wrestled in the main event of a card and had a really entertaining match.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21zem ... lows_sport

always liked Gallows once WWE stopped giving him bs gimmicks. Even in TNA i liked him and was surprised they let him go and couldn't find something for him to do once the Aces & Eights thing fell apart. Gald to see his run in NJPW is going so well.
Watch More Basketball

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#37 » by Marcus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:30 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:Word is that Prince Devitt had officially signed with WWE and an announcement is soon to follow.

my giddyness is unreal right now. just so you know.
Watch More Basketball

Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#38 » by Dunthreevy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:30 am

Marcus wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:Word is that Prince Devitt had officially signed with WWE and an announcement is soon to follow.

my giddyness is unreal right now. just so you know.

WWE needs to make sure he continues to do the face/body paint gimmick. I know they won't be able to get away with doing the Spawn, Venom, Punisher, etc. themed paint because of trademarks owned by DC/Marvel/whoever, but they could still do some really cool menacing looking paint schemes and really turn him into a marketable guy right away.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#39 » by WRau1 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:53 am

^^^That'd be awesome.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by jr lucosa » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:43 pm

From day 4 - AJ Styles vs Tetsuya Naito http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2266o ... aito_sport

Naito had a bandage over a forehead and AJ was working it the entire match. He busted him back open and ripped off the bandage which led to some cool visuals. At one point AJ started to set him up for a top rope styles clash and I (and the live crowd) started to lose it, Naito did reverse though. Great match. I'm so glad he got the hell out of TNA, his work has been crazy good in New Japan.

Return to Pro Wrestling