Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Re: WWE Battleground 2014 

Post#101 » by Dunthreevy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:01 pm

heatwillbeback wrote:
studcrackers wrote:
heatwillbeback wrote:The two Wyatt matches delivered. Paige and aj was good for a woman's title match

Otherwise weak Ppv.

What did ya like about Wyatt/Jericho? I thought it was probably the worst match of the night

I thought it was well done. One of the few matches I was genuinely surprised with the outcome of, and Wyatt's facial expressions are priceless. We got some vintage Jericho moves also.

The main event was actually probably a decent match, but knowing Cena was going over because of the leaked posters made that match not as fun.

I thought the main event was possibly the lamest match of the night, and that's not even taking the Cena victory into consideration.

The finisher/near fall/3rd guy breaks up the pin crap was beyond stupid. The last half of the match was someone hitting a finisher, going for the pin, then someone else breaking up the pin at 2.5. There was no suspense around it, it was just a constant cycle of the same thing over and over for like 10 minutes. There was nothing interesting about that match at all, in my opinion.

The battle royal was decent, that is until the end because it was more predictable that Cena retaining. The IC title is back to being worthless again. It had gained a little bit of steam when Cody reintroduced the old IC belt, but has been on a steady decline since he lost it. Wade Barrett was beginning to pick up steam and then had his injury, which is no one's fault. Putting that belt on The Miz, or any belt for that matter, is a sure fire way to make a belt absolutely worthless. He's literally the least interesting guy in the company.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#102 » by SDM » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:30 pm

I wanted heel Sheamus to unify the belts as the "Irish Championship" or something.

That's more interesting than a Miz/unification SummerSlam angle.
TaiLs21
Analyst
And1: 147

Post#103 » by TaiLs21 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:40 pm

Starkiller wrote:
Over all 1* PPV. It was really bad, throw in how awful the stream was on the network and I"m regretting actually staying up to watch it. Especially with the app sending me push updates spoiling the title matches to my phone. If they were having trouble getting network subscriptions before, this sent them in the wrong direction.

I had to turn off app notifications after Extreme Rules. It ruined everything about the PPV when I got off work when it ended but it was giving me match updates while I was on my break trying to avoid every spoiler.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#104 » by WRau1 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:57 pm

Yeah, I also turned off all WWE notifications. So stupid that they send you alerts of spoilers while the ppv is still going on.

ETA - Whatever happened to the super, pro-Batista poster? These threads are no fun without someone yelling at us about not liking everything WWE puts out.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Starkiller
Assistant Coach
And1: 269

Post#105 » by Starkiller » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:17 pm

WRau1 wrote:Yeah, I also turned off all WWE notifications. So stupid that they send you alerts of spoilers while the ppv is still going on.

ETA - Whatever happened to the super, pro-Batista poster? These threads are no fun without someone yelling at us about not liking everything WWE puts out.

I believe he left when Batista tapped to Bryan at WMXXX.
This ^
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#106 » by Flames24Rulz » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:59 pm

I'm typically as negative as they come about the product, but I actually thought it was an average PPV. I thought it was a lot better than what many people thought of it, which kind of surprises me. I guess the reason why I thought it was okay was because I had very low expectations for it.

The tag match was awesome, but I was pretty upset that the Wyatt's didn't win that. Total fail by not having Ambrose-Rollins take place last night. That match, along with Jericho-Wyatt, was the one that I was really looking forward to. I did find a couple of the scenes pretty entertaining, however, especially the last one where Ambrose came out of the trunk to start another fight. Pretty reminiscent of the Attitude era/WCW days with parking lot brawls. I guess the payoff, once they actually do fight, will be worth it. Or at least I sure hope it is.

Jericho-Wyatt was disappointing in the fact that it seemed like Wyatt wasn't really into it. Jericho looked great but Wyatt had a couple of botches. I thought for sure Wyatt would've kicked out of the Codebreaker too, so I was little surprised by that. Jericho can't job to everybody, otherwise he doesn't really have any value. The announcers acting stunned that Jericho actually beat Wyatt was a bit perplexing too. Nothing like making Wyatt look weak by acting stunned that Jericho won.

The main event was totally predictable, which is why I'm not too upset about it. Cena really needs to stop with the STF -- I'm glad Austin tweeted about it because someone needs to get it through his head that the move looks atrocious when he does it.

For a mid-level PPV, I thought it was exactly that.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#107 » by jr lucosa » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:07 pm

Napped through this so that I could watch the first night of the G1 Climax tourney, and am watching now.

The tag match was good, probably my favorite match on the card. They did a good job spacing out the falls and the teams have good chemistry. We've seen these guys wrestle each other quite a bit already but I'm not tired of it, they put on good matches. The superkick no sell turned into a spinning clothesline was an awesome exchange.

Good idea kicking Ambrose out. Makes what happens later on predictable but who cares? Thought it played out well.

The divas title match I enjoyed. I thought some of the segments between AJ and Paige leading up to this with them being "friends" now were sort of... bad, but during the match here it worked at times. Like when Paige through AJ into the corner, put her foot on her and said "AJ you're my friend okay?" right before she started stomping on her. For a divas match the crowd was really into it too. Last couple minutes reversing/kicking out of finishers until the shining wizard was great. The commentators weren't very good during this match.

Swagger is another guy, like Big E, that Rusev seems to work well with. Zeb as a face, lol I just can't get over it. He and (from being associated with him) Swagger are so over right now though. With his dominant style we don't see it a whole lot, but when Rusev is selling something he can do a hell of a job doing it. The way he was selling the patriot locks and his injured foot afterwards here was great.

Great brawl between Ambrose and Rollins. I feel like we'll eventually see Ambrose and HHH have a match or three once he's done with Seth.

I felt like Y2J and Wyatt dragged out too much, I was having a tough time getting into it. Crowd seemed pretty forgiving on the botches here, even without them the match wasn't the best. The finish even seemed a little strange. JBL lost his mind talking about that "almost 3 count" that was hardly even a 2, King, not paying any attention, just went along with it. Next camera shot of the announcers you can see Cole throwing his arms up in the air laughing.

Ambrose hopping out the trunk was great, the interactions between the two all night has me already excited for Summerslam.

I'm going to stop watching there as I've read enough about the IC and WWE title matches to know I likely won't enjoy them.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#108 » by studcrackers » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:50 pm

the ic match is worth a watch imo, it's just the result that pissed everyone off
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#109 » by jr lucosa » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:50 pm

I watched it, like many of you guys mentioned the match was ruined when they showed Miz on the outside.

Considering how most of you hate the Miz though the outcome should be considered fine since mid card titles have done nothing but end guys momentum for the last, 2 years maybe?
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#110 » by SDM » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:55 pm

My stream crapped out at parts of that match... audio was going, but I didn't *see* Miz on the outside... I guess I enjoyed it more as a result.

Still getting a little sick of these retreads, but heel Miz is far from the worst of the lot. That would be face Sheamus, so I'm pleased that didn't happen.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,572

Post#111 » by Rich Rane » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:27 pm

studcrackers wrote:the ic match is worth a watch imo, it's just the result that pissed everyone off

The whole Miz thing was just so poorly done. Not only did they not capture the moment on camera correctly, they announced he went through the second rope, and showed him lying outside a couple times.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#112 » by studcrackers » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:30 pm

i dont think at any point they were attempting to hide the fact that he was outside though
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,748

Post#113 » by Stanford » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:33 pm

studcrackers wrote:i dont think at any point they were attempting to hide the fact that he was outside though

Nah, they didn't. He was in and out of the ring the entire time.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#114 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:36 pm

studcrackers wrote:i dont think at any point they were attempting to hide the fact that he was outside though

Except for the fact when they got down to Ziggler and Sheamus and they're like OMG one of these two will win, they're the last two. And less than 5 minutes earlier they had done a whole long commentary about miz going through the second rope and had showed him outside 3 or 4 times.

Stupid and contrived.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,748

Post#115 » by Stanford » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:43 pm

NeedsMoreCheese wrote:

Except for the fact when they got down to Ziggler and Sheamus and they're like OMG one of these two will win, they're the last two. And less than 5 minutes earlier they had done a whole long commentary about miz going through the second rope and had showed him outside 3 or 4 times.

Stupid and contrived.

Oh yeah, they did do that. Right.

WWE wrote:"Last night's segment during WWE's Battleground event was in no way referring to the Malaysia Airlines tragedy. The storyline with characters Rusev and Lana has been a part of WWE programming for more than 3 months. WWE apologizes to anyone who misunderstood last night's segment and was offended."

lol, OK, WWE.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#116 » by studcrackers » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:04 pm

Stanford wrote:
NeedsMoreCheese wrote:

Stupid and contrived.

WWE wrote:"Last night's segment during WWE's Battleground event was in no way referring to the Malaysia Airlines tragedy. The storyline with characters Rusev and Lana has been a part of WWE programming for more than 3 months. WWE apologizes to anyone who misunderstood last night's segment and was offended."

lol, OK, WWE.

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#117 » by Marcus » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:23 pm

studcrackers wrote:
Stanford wrote:
NeedsMoreCheese wrote:Except for the fact when they got down to Ziggler and Sheamus and they're like OMG one of these two will win, they're the last two. And less than 5 minutes earlier they had done a whole long commentary about miz going through the second rope and had showed him outside 3 or 4 times.

Stupid and contrived.

lol, OK, WWE.

who dat?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#118 » by studcrackers » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:36 pm

We not up to date on current events?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#119 » by Marcus » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:43 pm

studcrackers wrote:We not up to date on current events?

just realized that head doesn't go with that body and that indeed was not someone mocking Vinnie Mac on RAW. I'll leave for a while now.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#120 » by TheKingofSting » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:40 am

NeedsMoreCheese wrote:

Stupid and contrived.

JBL saw him the whole time.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential

Return to Pro Wrestling