Lucha Underground Thread

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Re: Lucha Underground Thread 

Post#41 » by Waylon Mercy » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:50 am

First time watching it after I heard Vince Russo hype it up on his podcast...

Didn't know what to expect but I really like it. Love the venue where they film it as I always loved those ECW/ROH
type of small grungy type places with hot crowds and good workers. Didn't recognize Vampiro at all as a color commentator.
TaxiDriver
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#42 » by TaxiDriver » Mon Apr 6, 2015 3:53 pm

It's a great promotion, better than NXT, IMO.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#43 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:44 pm

I've been watching Lucha Underground on OnDemand, and it's entertaining. I've seen 3 episodes, and the best performance was by Jack Evans - going against Argenis. The wrestlers in general are so short that Evans looked like a big guy. He was the heel, and he did a great job of playing to the crowd - but his moves were so impressive that it's hard for the crowd not to like him. And it wasn't just a spot-fest - his moves told the story of the match. He's a helluva wrestler. Hopefully they make him a more prominent member of the roster.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#44 » by Marcus » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:23 pm

Ruzious wrote:I've been watching Lucha Underground on OnDemand, and it's entertaining. I've seen 3 episodes, and the best performance was by Jack Evans - going against Argenis. The wrestlers in general are so short that Evans looked like a big guy. He was the heel, and he did a great job of playing to the crowd - but his moves were so impressive that it's hard for the crowd not to like him. And it wasn't just a spot-fest - his moves told the story of the match. He's a helluva wrestler. Hopefully they make him a more prominent member of the roster.

that's pretty interesting. He was never known for being that great in the ring so its good to hear he's made those improvements in-ring.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#45 » by TheKingofSting » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:40 am

The Iron Man match between Prince Puma and Johnny Mundo last week was insane! It had everything four stacked tables, ladders, a guitar and a crowbar. Lucha Underground is the best. The in ring action will take your breath away and the storytelling is second to none. Also being able to look at Melissa Santos and Catrina every week isn't a bad deal at all either.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:53 pm

TheKingofSting wrote:The Iron Man match between Prince Puma and Johnny Mundo last week was insane! It had everything four stacked tables, ladders, a guitar and a crowbar. Lucha Underground is the best. The in ring action will take your breath away and the storytelling is second to none. Also being able to look at Melissa Santos and Catrina every week isn't a bad deal at all either.

That was ECW style crazy. A couple of times I though Johnny hurt Puma bad. Alberto El Patron's interference gave them the excuse to give the victory to
Spoiler:
Puma
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
TaxiDriver
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#47 » by TaxiDriver » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:08 pm

Just seen the match. That table bump was awesome.
Fattz
Junior
And1: 12

Post#48 » by Fattz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:35 am

Mack's face bump was the best thing I have ever seen in wrestling to date.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#49 » by Spens1 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:31 am

second season starts tonight, if its anything like the first it should be epic
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#50 » by Marcus » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:53 pm

Fattz wrote:Mack's face bump was the best thing I have ever seen in wrestling to date.

Mack is legit. too bad he didn't workout with the E
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:28 pm

They were on a couple segments of ESPN Sports Center this AM. Johnny Mundo was featured, and Rey Mysterio helped out.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#52 » by Dunthreevy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:20 pm

Now that I have a mod' Amazon Fire Stick I can find these episodes of LU the day after they air. Probably gonna take a week or so and catch up on season 1 first. Seems incredibly fun.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,862

Post#53 » by Stanford » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:22 pm

Jim Cornette once again proving that the business has passed him by.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#54 » by Marcus » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:31 pm

Stanford wrote:Image

Jim Cornette once again proving that the business has passed him by.

what font did he type that in "tourettes"?
Watch More Basketball

Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#55 » by Dunthreevy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:55 am

**** Jim Cornette and anything he has to say about anything.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,903

Post#56 » by skbucks1985 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:33 am

This might be too fine a distinction but I don't think this is evidence that Jim Cornette is out of touch as much as it is him having a very narrow-minded view of what is and is not a good wrestling product
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Ruzious » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:39 pm

Yeah, just because it's different from "real wrestling" (as Corny put it - which made me laugh) doesn't make it bad. Btw, I'm surprised his choice words came through without an edit. It's not billed as a traditional pro wrestling product, so he really shouldn't have a problem as far as that's concerned. But even when he's completely wrong, Corny is entertaining, so I can't get mad at him for his comments.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#58 » by SDM » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:50 pm

He doesn't realize that Joey Ryan or LU pissing on kayfabe is basically the only way to make money outside of WWE, who shot kayfabe, lit it on fire, buried it, and currently digs it up every Monday night to piss all over it. Jim should voice his concerns towards the industry leader who made it impossible to earn a living with a straight, traditional wrestling product and not the people who saw their dreams thwarted and found a creative work-around. You have to seek out LU, it's a minuscule part of a billion dollar industry that's had to diversify to stay alive.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,862

Post#59 » by Stanford » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:15 pm

safi wrote:This might be too fine a distinction but I don't think this is evidence that Jim Cornette is out of touch as much as it is him having a very narrow-minded view of what is and is not a good wrestling product

I disagree. He doesn't understand that people perceive wrestling differently than they did in the 70s. His brain is stuck on kayfabe-at-all-cost and he can't make the switch.
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,903

Post#60 » by skbucks1985 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:00 pm

Stanford wrote:
safi wrote:This might be too fine a distinction but I don't think this is evidence that Jim Cornette is out of touch as much as it is him having a very narrow-minded view of what is and is not a good wrestling product

I disagree. He doesn't understand that people perceive wrestling differently than they did in the 70s. His brain is stuck on kayfabe-at-all-cost and he can't make the switch.

But that viewpoint of keeping kayfabe, or I think would more accurately be described as being tethered to reality as I think an argument could be made that lucha underground does a better job of keeping kayfabe than pretty much any other wrestling show and/or promotion, is because he believes that is the path to being a successful wrestling show and/or promotion. Maybe that is evidence of him being out of touch since he can't accept that there is more than one way of accomplishing that objective, but I'd say its more accurate to say he's narrow-minded.

Return to Pro Wrestling