NXT Thread II

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,903

Re: NXT Thread 2 (The Day I've Been Waiting For) 

Post#161 » by skbucks1985 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:38 pm

I wonder if they'll incorporate Kendrick into a story line with Bryan on the main roster. For those who don't know, Kendrick is literally Bryan's oldest friend in wrestling. They were roommates when they were training at Shawn Michael's wrestling school. A lot of different directions they could go with that.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#162 » by jr lucosa » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:14 pm

Stanford wrote:Loved the Riley-Owens stuff. Both played their roles perfectly.

I did too, good stuff.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#163 » by Dunthreevy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:21 pm

Kevin Owens might legitimately be the most complete pro wrestler in the world right now, or at least the best that I've seen. His ring work, mic work, psychology, character, everything is so damn good.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#164 » by Dunthreevy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:15 pm

http://www.wrestlingrumors.net/adrian-n ... hon/34151/

There's an interesting part of that interview, and it seems shocking and pretty stupid to me.

“I haven’t sat down and spoke with Vince in any depth. It’s just been hellos and goodbyes. The first time he caught me off guard backstage at Monday Night Raw. He was just walking down one of the corridors backstage. It was a bit surreal. But it was just a quick, ‘hello, sir, I’m Adrian Neville, one of your developmental talents. Pleasure to meet you.’ It lasted about 20 seconds. It wasn’t very notable or noteworthy.”

So the guy who was the longest reigning NXT champ in it's history, a 2-time NXT tag champ, and potentially a core part of the WWE's future, has barely ever spoken to Vince McMahon? That strikes me as incredibly odd. Like Vince must REALLY give Hunter full reign of NXT, to the point where he hasn't even had a conversation with Adrian Neville in over 2 years of being with the company.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,859

Post#165 » by Stanford » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:33 pm

I thought it was odd too, because it's the reporting of a non-story rather than a story. That's not news to me.

Wrestling Journalism.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#166 » by Stanford » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:34 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:Kevin Owens might legitimately be the most complete pro wrestler in the world right now, or at least the best that I've seen. His ring work, mic work, psychology, character, everything is so damn good.

I think Ring of Honor fans would have told you the same thing a couple years ago. I'm waiting for him to do it on the main roster.

He good though.
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#167 » by skbucks1985 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:47 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:http://www.wrestlingrumors.net/adrian-n ... hon/34151/

There's an interesting part of that interview, and it seems shocking and pretty stupid to me.

“I haven’t sat down and spoke with Vince in any depth. It’s just been hellos and goodbyes. The first time he caught me off guard backstage at Monday Night Raw. He was just walking down one of the corridors backstage. It was a bit surreal. But it was just a quick, ‘hello, sir, I’m Adrian Neville, one of your developmental talents. Pleasure to meet you.’ It lasted about 20 seconds. It wasn’t very notable or noteworthy.”

So the guy who was the longest reigning NXT champ in it's history, a 2-time NXT tag champ, and potentially a core part of the WWE's future, has barely ever spoken to Vince McMahon? That strikes me as incredibly odd. Like Vince must REALLY give Hunter full reign of NXT, to the point where he hasn't even had a conversation with Adrian Neville in over 2 years of being with the company.

Doesn't surprise me. Former employees have told stories about how he's never been that interested in developmental. 4 years ago he probably didn't know much about Rollins, Reigns and Ambrose. He may have known a little more about Reigns because of his lineage but its still probably minimal.

I don't think that's an issue in and of itself as long as he gets the character by the time he/she is ready to be brought up and I don't think this is that hard to with a "scouting report" from a trainer(s) and a 5 minute video package. The problem is if you look at who has gotten brought up only Bray Wyatt has really gotten over playing his NXT character so that is perhaps not happening.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#168 » by Marcus » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:52 pm

Stanford wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:Kevin Owens might legitimately be the most complete pro wrestler in the world right now, or at least the best that I've seen. His ring work, mic work, psychology, character, everything is so damn good.

I think Ring of Honor fans would have told you the same thing a couple years ago. I'm waiting for him to do it on the main roster.

He good though.

which is why we keep yelling about Adam Cole
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#169 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 2, 2015 1:39 pm

Marcus wrote:
Stanford wrote:

He good though.

This isn't going to be a popular answer, but if either of them were over 6', they'd be in the WWE. Yes, I know there are some exceptions, but the few exceptions there have been - prove the rule. Size and shape (Owens) matter. <That's what she said.>
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#170 » by Marcus » Mon Mar 2, 2015 1:43 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Stanford wrote:

He good though.

This isn't going to be a popular answer, but if either of them were over 6', they'd be in the WWE. Yes, I know there are some exceptions, but the few exceptions there have been - prove the rule. Size and shape (Owens) matter. <That's what she said.>

Owens is in though and Cole more than likely will be too once his RoH contract is up.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#171 » by skbucks1985 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 3:45 pm

Size is also the reason why HHH's predecessors made a lot of stupid decisions with regards to talent acquisition and why Vince made a lot of dumb creative decisions over that time. Size is the reason Nathan Jones and Samoa Joe are at a WWE camp and Jones is the one they sign. Size is the reason they took Bobby Lashley who wasn't even wrestling on OVW TV and put him on WWE TV. Size is the reason Paul Heyman quit because Vince was insistent on giving Paul Heyman the title instead of CM Punk.

Size only matters because the guy in charge says it matters. Reigns is where he is now because of size and look. And the way they're compensating for Reigns' many weaknesses is in a way great. That's the way every talent should be booked, to accentuate there positives and mask there negatives. The problem is they only do that for a very select few.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#172 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 2, 2015 3:50 pm

Marcus wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Owens is in though and Cole more than likely will be too once his RoH contract is up.

Meh, that's like saying a guy playing for the Norfolk Tides is on the Orioles.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#173 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 2, 2015 4:03 pm

safi wrote:Size is also the reason why HHH's predecessors made a lot of stupid decisions with regards to talent acquisition and why Vince made a lot of dumb creative decisions over that time. Size is the reason Nathan Jones and Samoa Joe are at a WWE camp and Jones is the they sign. Size is the reason they took Bobby Lashley who wasn't even wrestling on OVW TV and put him on WWE TV. Size is the reason Paul Heyman quit because Vince was insistent on giving Paul Heyman the title instead of CM Punk.

Size only matters because the guy in charge says it matters. Reigns is where he is now because of size and look. And the way they're compensating for Reigns' many weaknesses is in a way great. That's the way every talent should be booked, to accentuate there positives and mask there negatives. The problem is they only do that for a very select few.

And who could forget Tiny Lister as Zeus wreaking havic in WWF rings - actually just reeking.

I don't disagree - and that's gradually changed to an extent - but size will always matter - as it does in "real sports".

Btw, WCW was every bit as bad as the WWE. They basically made a mockery of their light heavyweights.
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#174 » by skbucks1985 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 4:14 pm

Ruzious wrote:
safi wrote:Size is also the reason why HHH's predecessors made a lot of stupid decisions with regards to talent acquisition and why Vince made a lot of dumb creative decisions over that time. Size is the reason Nathan Jones and Samoa Joe are at a WWE camp and Jones is the they sign. Size is the reason they took Bobby Lashley who wasn't even wrestling on OVW TV and put him on WWE TV. Size is the reason Paul Heyman quit because Vince was insistent on giving Paul Heyman the title instead of CM Punk.

And who could forget Tiny Lister as Zeus wreaking havic in WWF rings - actually just reeking.

I don't disagree - and that's gradually changed to an extent - but size will always matter - as it does in "real sports".

Btw, WCW was every bit as bad as the WWE. They basically made a mockery of their light heavyweights.

WCW gave the Cruiserweights a platform they weren't going to otherwise get. And there absolutely was a ceiling for them but they had a platform that they were definitely not going to get in WWE in the mid-90's.

But that's beside the point. I'm not saying size shouldn't matter. I'm saying, as it does in "real sports" talent and ability should be much, much, more important than size. And that's not the case in WWE right now, at least not on the main roster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#175 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 2, 2015 4:52 pm

safi wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

WCW gave the Cruiserweights a platform they weren't going to otherwise get. And there absolutely was a ceiling for them but they had a platform that they were definitely not going to get in WWE in the mid-90's.

But that's beside the point. I'm not saying size shouldn't matter. I'm saying, as it does in "real sports" talent and ability should be much, much, more important than size. And that's not the case in WWE right now, at least not on the main roster.

At one point that was true about the WCW, but then they had them getting routinely destroyed going 3 on 1 against guys like Scott Steiner. And they made 3 of them into nothing but a boy band for Tank Abbott. Rey Misterio was a lawn dart who got thrown head-first into the side of an SUV by Kevin Nash. That's some platform.
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#176 » by skbucks1985 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 5:02 pm

Ruzious wrote:
safi wrote:
Ruzious wrote:And who could forget Tiny Lister as Zeus wreaking havic in WWF rings - actually just reeking.

At one point that was true about the WCW, but then they had them getting routinely destroyed going 3 on 1 against guys like Scott Steiner. And they made 3 of them into nothing but a boy band for Tank Abbott. Rey Misterio was a lawn dart who got thrown head-first into the side of an SUV by Kevin Nash. That's some platform.

Yes, when everything in WCW was bad they were not an exception. I disagree about the Rey moment, that was a great moment that got the NWO more over at the very early stages of that group. And you can pick out certain examples but at the peak of the company they were workhorses being given 10-15 minutes, every show and every PPV to go out there and be a very important part of the show. And WWE has never given that same opportunity for a sustained period of time to the number of guys WCW did.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#177 » by TheKingofSting » Thu Mar 5, 2015 3:49 am

jr lucosa wrote:
Stanford wrote:Loved the Riley-Owens stuff. Both played their roles perfectly.

I did too, good stuff.

Doesn't nobody really like Riley though?
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#178 » by Stanford » Thu Mar 5, 2015 4:18 am

I still like NXT-Adam Rose.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#179 » by Stanford » Thu Mar 5, 2015 4:30 am

Alexa Bliss is a solid promo!
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#180 » by Stanford » Thu Mar 5, 2015 4:43 am

Owens-Riley was amazing again. Riley is so good at this one particular thing.

And Regal is great too. I'm swooning over this series of episodes.

OK, Crowe's finisher is silly.

Return to Pro Wrestling