WWE TV Thread 20

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,485

Re: WWE TV Thread 20 

Post#1761 » by Butch718 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 6:05 pm

Nerlens No Ls wrote:Ambrose vs Brock at WM is best for business

Ambrose is really doing a great job of selling himself for the triple threat at Fast Lane. He really isn't a credible threat to Brock, yet he's making his presence known. I love when Brock slowly turned around just to give him another beating. He almost seemed annoyed by the whole thing. It was telegraphed in a way in which Brock seemed aggravated that Ambrose wasn't scared to take the punishment he dished out. While some might not like how the end of that segment played out, I actually did. I like the fact that Ambrose used a heel tactic in order to temporarily knock Brock down, because that's the only way he has a shot of winning. My only critique is that he didn't follow up on it with chair shots. That would have put that whole segment over the top. Although, come to think of it, something like that could have been seen as a heel turn.

I also like how Reigns is playing second fiddle here for the time being. It might not mean anything in the end, but at least they're letting Ambrose do his thing on the mic.

They're pretty much setting up a split between Reigns and Ambrose after Fast Lane. They're telegraphing an Ambrose heel turn, which gives me hope that it's going to be Reigns turning heel instead. Wishful thinking on my part. Vince is too stubborn to let the chosen one grow as a character.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#1762 » by WRau1 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 8:40 pm

Not specific to this forum but since DB's announcement, I have seen A TON of CM Punk backlash. I think a lot of fans feel jilted that they couldn't give him the sendoff that DB got last night. It's a weird situation. Punk is a pretty big **** so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it but it's almost as if DB is solely getting credit for breaking the "indie" & size barriers when it was Punk who was the first to kick the door open. I don't know, like I said it's a weird situation and I don't really know how I feel about it yet.

How different would wrestling (and DB's legacy) be today though if Punk didn't quit? Would it have been Punk at Mania 30 beating HHH then winning the title in the triple threat while DB went on to face heel Sheamus in their rumored WM30 feud? Would DB have still made it to the top if Punk was there? Was DB's WM push done in spite of Punk? It's weird to think about how different wrestling would be today if Punk stayed. Or even if he announced his retirement rather than just walking out.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1763 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 9, 2016 9:00 pm

WRau1 wrote:Not specific to this forum but since DB's announcement, I have seen A TON of CM Punk backlash. I think a lot of fans feel jilted that they couldn't give him the sendoff that DB got last night. It's a weird situation. Punk is a pretty big **** so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it but it's almost as if DB is solely getting credit for breaking the "indie" & size barriers when it was Punk who was the first to kick the door open. I don't know, like I said it's a weird situation and I don't really know how I feel about it yet.

How different would wrestling (and DB's legacy) be today though if Punk didn't quit? Would it have been Punk at Mania 30 beating HHH then winning the title in the triple threat while DB went on to face heel Sheamus in their rumored WM30 feud? Would DB have still made it to the top if Punk was there? Was DB's WM push done in spite of Punk? It's weird to think about how different wrestling would be today if Punk stayed. Or even if he announced his retirement rather than just walking out.

WWE started out Punk very differently than they did with Bryan. Punk became skinnier as he got more popular in the WWE, but when he started there, he was listed at 6'2, 218. He was basically the same size as Kofi Kingston - who he teamed with often early in his WWE career. And Punk won titles early on at WWE. Bryan was 5'8 190 and started out by going on a long losing streak on the NXT tryout show. Punk was never going to be the Daniel Bryan of the WWE.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,896

Post#1764 » by skbucks1985 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 9:08 pm

I was working during the show and finally got around to watching it. There was some decent stuff during the first 2:50 but this show will only be remembered for the final segment.

That final segment was both great and so hard to watch. The fact that he was able to keep such a heavy moment relatively light-hearted is a real testament to him. Speaking personally, Daniel Bryan's exit might be the end of a certain aspect of my fan-dom. Maybe its became of my age, maybe its because of my increasing cynicism, but whatever it is I don't know if I'll ever invest emotionally in a guy the way I did in Bryan. So if WM 30 was the unofficial end of that, it was a helluva way to go out.
WRau1
RealGM

Post#1765 » by WRau1 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 9:28 pm

Ruzious wrote:
WRau1 wrote:Not specific to this forum but since DB's announcement, I have seen A TON of CM Punk backlash. I think a lot of fans feel jilted that they couldn't give him the sendoff that DB got last night. It's a weird situation. Punk is a pretty big **** so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it but it's almost as if DB is solely getting credit for breaking the "indie" & size barriers when it was Punk who was the first to kick the door open. I don't know, like I said it's a weird situation and I don't really know how I feel about it yet.

WWE started out Punk very differently than they did with Bryan. Punk became skinnier as he got more popular in the WWE, but when he started there, he was listed at 6'2, 218. He was basically the same size as Kofi Kingston - who he teamed with often early in his WWE career. And Punk won titles early on at WWE. Bryan was 5'8 190 and started out by going on a long losing streak on the NXT tryout show. Punk was never going to be the Daniel Bryan of the WWE.

Punk was significantly smaller than that when he signed, he gained the bulk of his "wwe weight" while in OVW and the few months prior to his arrival. DB alao gained a good deal of weight during the first year of his wwe career.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#1766 » by skbucks1985 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 9:39 pm

Certain ways that Punk has carried himself in the last 15, or so, months have irked me. Maybe its just a personality thing, but I don't understand why nameless, faceless people insulting him on social media would ever irk him or anyone above a certain age to such a degree. And the same thing with usually stupid, but relatively innocuous media questions.

Having said that, I also really don't understand the people who are upset with him leaving. If you wish that you could have had a moment like last night with Punk, I get that. I do too, especially since I probably would've been in the building when it happened. But those generally aren't the people who are saying this. The people saying this are those who feel they are owed a moment like last night from Punk and I just don't understand that.

And, I think the WM 30 Triple Threat would've been the same even if Punk had stayed. Batista-Orton was an untenable situation and Bryan, not Punk, was the fix to that and I'm not sure how they would've gotten there but I think they would'e eventually gotten there.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,941

Post#1767 » by iMoreland » Tue Feb 9, 2016 9:47 pm

Can't wait for the Kevin Owens Era to start
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1768 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 9, 2016 9:59 pm

WRau1 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Punk was significantly smaller than that when he signed, he gained the bulk of his "wwe weight" while in OVW and the few months prior to his arrival. DB alao gained a good deal of weight during the first year of his wwe career.

Not sure that matters, since we're talking 5'8 vs 6'2.

Punk even said he thought Edge paved the way for guys his size. I thought it was odd when he said it, but just the fact that he could see that... and yes, I know he and Christian were very thin when they started.

Now, if you want to compare Austin Aries' size issues with Bryan's, then YES! :)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Vandal Savage
Suspended
And1: 1,123

Post#1769 » by Vandal Savage » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:14 am

Do they put the belt on Brie for that feel good moment. Dont think it is worth it breaking their current plans.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#1770 » by Dunthreevy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:56 am

Vandal Savage wrote:Do they put the belt on Brie for that feel good moment. Dont think it is worth it breaking their current plans.

No. Nobody cares about Brie as a performer. Putting the divas title on her does nothing for the product and would look extremely corny under the circumstances, especially with no build to it.

I really hope fans don't start giving her the AJ Lee treatment though. It's so disrespectful.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
Mike Hunt
Lead Assistant
And1: 37

Post#1771 » by Mike Hunt » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:23 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Brie gets a little boost from that. I think Bryan could have really given her the rub if he wanted to (can you imagine 5 minutes where he told you how she's not what she seems like on Total Divas and how she's helped him deal with the frustration of the past year and the injuries and she did this while dealing with some of her own, etc...) , but that obviously wasn't and shouldn't have been the focus of his speech.
WRau1
RealGM

Post#1772 » by WRau1 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:26 am

#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#1773 » by skbucks1985 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:59 am

Dunthreevy wrote:
Vandal Savage wrote:Do they put the belt on Brie for that feel good moment. Dont think it is worth it breaking their current plans.

No. Nobody cares about Brie as a performer. Putting the divas title on her does nothing for the product and would look extremely corny under the circumstances, especially with no build to it.

I really hope fans don't start giving her the AJ Lee treatment though. It's so disrespectful.

Yeah, they've tried using Bryan to get Brie over and it worked on some level as the most over she ever was when she was Bryan's physical surrogate. But when Brie had to wrestle or cut promos she was terrible at it, all of it. And now that there is no future story to tell with Bryan, she's got nothing to get her over.

I think Brie would welcome fans chanting that at her, she'd actually get a reaction. And at first AJ may have been put off by it, but she was pretty quickly playing into the chants in usually not so subtle ways.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#1774 » by Dunthreevy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:40 am

Mike Hunt wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Brie gets a little boost from that. I think Bryan could have really given her the rub if he wanted to (can you imagine 5 minutes where he told you how she's not what she seems like on Total Divas and how she's helped him deal with the frustration of the past year and the injuries and she did this while dealing with some of her own, etc...) , but that obviously wasn't and shouldn't have been the focus of his speech.

How she is on Total Divas is way more endearing and interesting as a person than she is on Raw. Saying she's not actually like that would probably lose her some fans.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#1775 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:01 am

I'm as big a fan of Punk as you'll find, but it wouldn't surprise me if he saw where the whole Yes movement was going, and it didn't play a small part (maybe even subconsciously) in his exit from the company. He's always like to play the disrespect card, and in his last interview before he left the company he made some subtle jabs at DB, semi implying that he was over because of his catchphrase more so than because of his persona.
Do it for Chuck
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#1776 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:19 am

Here is said interview. The whole thing is interesting as he was just days away from walking out, but the Bryan stuff starts at about 22:50 and goes for about 2 minutes. Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but I sense a bit of resentment there.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5zBkBWXhPw[/youtube]
Do it for Chuck
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#1777 » by Dunthreevy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:39 pm

So Titus O'Neil, one of the WWE's best PEOPLE and biggest do-gooders outside of the business of wrestling, has been suspended for 90 days for playfully grabbing Vince by the arm at the end of RAW the other night. 90 day suspension would mean he can't compete at Fastlane and all the way through Mania, meaning no Mania pay day (which a lot of lower level performers depend on). Vince is a true piece of ****.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2016/2/10/10958398/titus-oneil-suspended-vince-mcmahon-shove-gif-daniel-bryan-retirement
iMoreland
Lead Assistant

Post#1778 » by iMoreland » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:53 pm

Happy black history month, Titus
iMoreland
Lead Assistant

Post#1779 » by iMoreland » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:58 pm

This is the incident