Backstage stories, fights, road stories, etc

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Re: Backstage stories, fights, road stories, etc 

Post#21 » by Dunthreevy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:12 am

Polk377 wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:Wasn't entirely sure where to put these links, so here we are.

If you've ever wondered about how the The Brawl For All was planned, orchestrated, and politicized check out these links. Some of this information may already be widely known but this is the first I've ever read anything about it.

Part I
http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2016/0404/609425/brawl-for-naught-the-backstage-story-on-wwe-infamous-brawl-for/

Part II
http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2016/0412/609673/brawl-for-naught-part-ii-the-backstage-story-on-wwe-infamous/

I've heard Vince Russo talk about this on his podcast. He said it all started because JBL was running his mouth backstage about how he can shoot beat anyone up in the locker room. God I hate JBL.....Looking back this was one of the worst angles the WWF has ever done. I think most of the guys in the tournament were fired and quit after this. I think Savio Vega was forced to retire after injuring his arm after this.

And to think it was all just for JR to try and put over a 40 year old dude, who no one really cared about, for one last run. Pure brilliance!
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,899

Post#22 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:02 am

Dunthreevy wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:Wasn't entirely sure where to put these links, so here we are.

If you've ever wondered about how the The Brawl For All was planned, orchestrated, and politicized check out these links. Some of this information may already be widely known but this is the first I've ever read anything about it.

Part I
http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2016/0404/609425/brawl-for-naught-the-backstage-story-on-wwe-infamous-brawl-for/

Part II
http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2016/0412/609673/brawl-for-naught-part-ii-the-backstage-story-on-wwe-infamous/

I've heard Vince Russo talk about this on his podcast. He said it all started because JBL was running his mouth backstage about how he can shoot beat anyone up in the locker room. God I hate JBL.....Looking back this was one of the worst angles the WWF has ever done. I think most of the guys in the tournament were fired and quit after this. I think Savio Vega was forced to retire after injuring his arm after this.

And to think it was all just for JR to try and put over a 40 year old dude, who no one really cared about, for one last run. Pure brilliance!

I'd say the only thing about the Brawl For All that made sense was using it as a vehicle to push Dr. Death, assuming he won. He was a HUGE star in Japan and while he was no spring chicken he was the same age AJ Styles is now. So I definitely understand why they tried to get one last big run out of him.
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,364

Post#23 » by Polk377 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:02 pm

safi wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:
Polk377 wrote:

I'd say the only thing about the Brawl For All that made sense was using it as a vehicle to push Dr. Death, assuming he won. He was a HUGE star in Japan and while he was no spring chicken he was the same age AJ Styles is now. So I definitely understand why they tried to get one last big run out of him.

Why did they assume he would win though? Bart Gunn was destroying everyone and it wasn't even close. Should have been a good push for him as a real tough guy but they stupidly put him in the ring with Butterbean.
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#24 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:24 pm

Polk377 wrote:
safi wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:

Why did they assume he would win though? Bart Gunn was destroying everyone and it wasn't even close. Should have been a good push for him as a real tough guy but they stupidly put him in the ring with Butterbean.

He was a 4 time All-American wrestler at the University of Oklahoma. You put that guy in a shoot fighting competition with a bunch of bar tough guys, you gotta think he's the heavy favorite.
Polk377
General Manager

Post#25 » by Polk377 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:32 pm

safi wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
safi wrote:

He was a 4 time All-American wrestler at the University of Oklahoma. You put that guy in a shoot fighting competition with a bunch of bar tough guys, you gotta think he's the heavy favorite.

When fists start flying it doesn't matter how good of a wrestler you are. If you look at the bracket the heavy favorite should have been Dan Severn who was a real MMA fighter.
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#26 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:04 pm

Polk377 wrote:
safi wrote:
Polk377 wrote:

When fists start flying it doesn't matter how good of a wrestler you are. If you look at the bracket the heavy favorite should have been Dan Severn who was a real MMA fighter.

It actually matters a lot. If you look at early MMA before guys became much more well-rounded fighters and it was largely one specialty vs another specialty, the wrestlers usually dominated the strikers. You're right about Severn but he was probably not going to be able to stay in the competition and didn't because if you have a professional MMA fighter going up against a bunch of, not even, amateurs but guys with no fighting experience you're looking at the potential of some major issues
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#27 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:05 pm

Polk377 wrote:
safi wrote:
Polk377 wrote:

It actually matters a lot. If you look at early MMA before guys became much more well-rounded fighters and it was largely one specialty vs another specialty, the wrestlers usually dominated the strikers. You're right about Severn but he was probably not going to be able to stay in the competition and didn't because if you have a professional MMA fighter going up against a bunch of, not even, amateurs but guys with no fighting experience you're looking at the potential of some major issues
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,270

Post#28 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:55 pm

Re: the JBL/Styles story.

I was talking about it with a friend back and forth via Twitter a while back. Never tagged JBL or Styles in the tweets, yet he still found them and blocked both of us. Clearly a guy that googles himself multiple times daily.
Do it for Chuck
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by Dunthreevy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:00 pm

Apparently Del Rio is still starting **** with people backstage. When you are constantly finding yourself in the middle of issues, you have to start looking at the common denominator.

http://www.f4wonline.com/mexico/alberto-del-rio-gets-backstage-brawl-sunday-night-mexico-226371
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#30 » by WRau1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:10 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:Apparently Del Rio is still starting **** with people backstage. When you are constantly finding yourself in the middle of issues, you have to start looking at the common denominator.

http://www.f4wonline.com/mexico/alberto-del-rio-gets-backstage-brawl-sunday-night-mexico-226371

I saw some recent pictures of the two the other day and maybe it was because Paige was standing near Del Rio and another pretty big guy, but she is looking insanely skinny.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#31 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:19 pm

safi wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
safi wrote:

The problem with the WWE assuming Williams would win it and then actually be a draw was... he was over-the-hill after the brutal way he wrestled in Japan for so many years, and I believe his knees were shot. And he wasn't a particularly charismatic or talkative guy for US pro rassling. His personality and ring style were perfect for Japan - not for the US. He was no SCSA - who had the same given name.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#32 » by skbucks1985 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:27 am

Ruzious wrote:
safi wrote:
Polk377 wrote:

The problem with the WWE assuming Williams would win it and then actually be a draw was... he was over-the-hill after the brutal way he wrestled in Japan for so many years, and I believe his knees were shot. And he wasn't a particularly charismatic or talkative guy for US pro rassling. His personality and ring style were perfect for Japan - not for the US. He was no SCSA - who had the same given name.

He definitely couldn't have handled a full-time schedule but I think he had enough left for one or two big matches. I think this was still during the corporation so they had a pretty easy way to mask his deficiencies in that department
Polk377
General Manager

Post#33 » by Polk377 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:34 am

safi wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
safi wrote:

He definitely couldn't have handled a full-time schedule but I think he had enough left for one or two big matches. I think this was still during the corporation so they had a pretty easy way to mask his deficiencies in that department

The only thing Dr. Death had going for him was his friend JR was in charge of talent relations. He was in no way marketable in that time and would have flopped anyway.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Dunthreevy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:02 pm

Polk377 wrote:
safi wrote:
Ruzious wrote:The problem with the WWE assuming Williams would win it and then actually be a draw was... he was over-the-hill after the brutal way he wrestled in Japan for so many years, and I believe his knees were shot. And he wasn't a particularly charismatic or talkative guy for US pro rassling. His personality and ring style were perfect for Japan - not for the US. He was no SCSA - who had the same given name.

The only thing Dr. Death had going for him was his friend JR was in charge of talent relations. He was in no way marketable in that time and would have flopped anyway.

He was never going to be a star in the states. Say he wins the tournament, then what?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#35 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:48 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
safi wrote:

He was never going to be a star in the states. Say he wins the tournament, then what?

Starts a bar fights division - better known as the BFD... after they ruled out calling it BarF.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Dunthreevy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:10 pm

So that whole shouting/shoving match between Brock and Jericho...

Jericho was pissed because of Brock busting open Orton, and he was supposedly told by Vince and others that it was all a work. Well this interview with Orton says otherwise.

http://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/18270143/randy-orton-thriving-creatively-new-member-wyatt-family-wwe

"Even now, four months later, I don't even know what happened," Orton said. "If it was supposed to happen, I wasn't aware of it. Basically s--- happens in that ring and he's a big old dude and he has some bony-ass elbows and that's all I can say. But there's an art to what we do. We're not trying to kill each other. We got 200 shows a year so taking a blow like that to the head definitely pisses me off because I'm on the shelf for three weeks with a concussion and I had just gotten my boots back on a month before SummerSlam after being out 9-10 months with a shoulder injury. So all those facts pissed me off but when you do this for a living s--- happens."
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#37 » by WRau1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:54 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:So that whole shouting/shoving match between Brock and Jericho...

Jericho was pissed because of Brock busting open Orton, and he was supposedly told by Vince and others that it was all a work. Well this interview with Orton says otherwise.

http://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/18270143/randy-orton-thriving-creatively-new-member-wyatt-family-wwe

"Even now, four months later, I don't even know what happened," Orton said. "If it was supposed to happen, I wasn't aware of it. Basically s--- happens in that ring and he's a big old dude and he has some bony-ass elbows and that's all I can say. But there's an art to what we do. We're not trying to kill each other. We got 200 shows a year so taking a blow like that to the head definitely pisses me off because I'm on the shelf for three weeks with a concussion and I had just gotten my boots back on a month before SummerSlam after being out 9-10 months with a shoulder injury. So all those facts pissed me off but when you do this for a living s--- happens."

That was a pretty good article.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by Dunthreevy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:47 pm

WRau1 wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:So that whole shouting/shoving match between Brock and Jericho...

That was a pretty good article.

Yeah, ESPN's coverage of WWE has gotten to be pretty good. Brian Campbell is a legit fan and I'm pretty sure he's one of the main guys pushing it at ESPN. He covers WWE/MMA/Boxing over there.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by Dunthreevy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:18 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:Apparently Del Rio is still starting **** with people backstage. When you are constantly finding yourself in the middle of issues, you have to start looking at the common denominator.

Adding to this bs...

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2016/12/14/13952950/alberto-del-rio-paige-ninja-turtle-rafy

So the guy never even touched Paige, but simply paid her a compliment in passing and referred to her as "beautiful" and Del Rio flew off the handle. Not only that, he unmasked the guy? What a POS.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by Dunthreevy » Tue Sep 5, 2017 6:17 pm

Not sure where else to post this thought so this thread will have to do...

Rick Martel was one tough son of a bitch. I had completely forgotten that he ended up having a run with WCW during their prime run in 97-98 and was even the TV Champ. He lost the title at SuperBrawl 98 to Booker T and suffered what turned out to be a career-ending injury during the match. About halfway through the match, Booker T hip-tossed Martel across the ring and Martel's leg hit one of the ropes in an awkward way. Martel ended up tearing an inside ligament of his right knee, fractured his leg and suffered cartilage damage. Even after that, he still managed to wrestle and put on a good showing for the remaining 6 minutes of the match. As Bruce Prichard would say "that's one double tough son of a bitch".

Return to Pro Wrestling