skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,899

Re: Survivor Series (Nov 20th, 2016) 

Post#121 » by skbucks1985 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:41 pm

Rhettmatic wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
Hogan did during a 4 way between himself, Goldberg, DDP and Flair. DDP also kicked out of it during the last days of WCW. That's all I can remember.

Speaking of Hogan and Goldberg matches. I just recently heard Goldberg tell the story of Hogan putting Icy Hot in his armpits before their big match at the Georgia Dome where Goldberg won the title. Goldberg apparently wrestled almost the whole match blind because the Icy Hot got in his eyes when Hogan put him in a headlock. Says he learned a lot from Hogan back then, and I don't think he meant that in a good way.

Neither here nor there, but I was listening to Bruce Prichard's podcast the other day and they talked about Survivor Series 91, when the Undertaker won the title for the first time from Hogan. They told a story that might be common knowledge but I hadn't heard it.

Apparently after the match, Hogan complained to anyone who would listen that Undertaker dropped him on his head during the Tombstone and seriously injured his neck. Taker was distraught about hurting Hogan and having the reputation of a dangerous worker, but then looked back on the footage and saw that Hogan's head was nowhere near making contact with anything. Nevertheless Taker dropped the title a few days after winning it and wouldn't become champion again for more than 5 years (Prichard says the belt wasn't taken off him because of the Hogan thing specifically, but it obviously didn't help his rep).

Taker apparently never forgave Hogan for faking the injury and wasn't pleased when he returned to the company for his last run.

The final irony of all of this is that Hogan's last title run was a nothing 4 week run where he dropped the title to.... The Undertaker
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,944

Post#122 » by iMoreland » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:08 am

According to Dave Meltzer, Brock asked Vince to give Goldberg a bigger deal and asked him to let Goldberg beat him.

Meltzer said Brock sees money in a long-term storyline with Goldberg. Apparently Vince does as well.

Meltzer also said the match wasn't shortened due to Goldberg's injury. 
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#123 » by Max Green » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:13 pm

Loved the finish of the Goldberg/Lesnar match. Goldberg was Brock before Brock in the 90's and is still in tremendous shape. The story writes itself, Brock could claim he underestimated Goldberg because of his age and was caught off guard. This was like a Boxing/MMA match where one fighter comes in, get's caught with a good shot and is dropped in quickly.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#124 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:37 pm

Max Green wrote:Loved the finish of the Goldberg/Lesnar match. Goldberg was Brock before Brock in the 90's and is still in tremendous shape. The story writes itself, Brock could claim he underestimated Goldberg because of his age and was caught off guard. This was like a Boxing/MMA match where one fighter comes in, get's caught with a good shot and is dropped in quickly.

Goldberg was never close to Brock - at least in the way that I look at pro wrestling. Goldberg was a football player who learned to act like a great pro wrestler but couldn't handle someone like Steve Regal. Brock was a legitimately great amateur wrestler and MMA fighter - the real deal by any standard - who learned to tone it down to be a pro rassler. Goldberg deserves credit for getting in great shape.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#125 » by whysoserious » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:15 pm

safi wrote:
Rhettmatic wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:
Speaking of Hogan and Goldberg matches. I just recently heard Goldberg tell the story of Hogan putting Icy Hot in his armpits before their big match at the Georgia Dome where Goldberg won the title. Goldberg apparently wrestled almost the whole match blind because the Icy Hot got in his eyes when Hogan put him in a headlock. Says he learned a lot from Hogan back then, and I don't think he meant that in a good way.

Neither here nor there, but I was listening to Bruce Prichard's podcast the other day and they talked about Survivor Series 91, when the Undertaker won the title for the first time from Hogan. They told a story that might be common knowledge but I hadn't heard it.

Apparently after the match, Hogan complained to anyone who would listen that Undertaker dropped him on his head during the Tombstone and seriously injured his neck. Taker was distraught about hurting Hogan and having the reputation of a dangerous worker, but then looked back on the footage and saw that Hogan's head was nowhere near making contact with anything. Nevertheless Taker dropped the title a few days after winning it and wouldn't become champion again for more than 5 years (Prichard says the belt wasn't taken off him because of the Hogan thing specifically, but it obviously didn't help his rep).

Taker apparently never forgave Hogan for faking the injury and wasn't pleased when he returned to the company for his last run.

The final irony of all of this is that Hogan's last title run was a nothing 4 week run where he dropped the title to.... The Undertaker

Hadn't ever heard that story so thanks for sharing. Hogan was very slimy and I hated everything I slowly found out about how he operated.

Taker to me is the gold standard and he prided himself on not injuring anyone with the piledriver (it was banned as a move for anyone besides Taker eventually).
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#126 » by Max Green » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:54 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Max Green wrote:Loved the finish of the Goldberg/Lesnar match. Goldberg was Brock before Brock in the 90's and is still in tremendous shape. The story writes itself, Brock could claim he underestimated Goldberg because of his age and was caught off guard. This was like a Boxing/MMA match where one fighter comes in, get's caught with a good shot and is dropped in quickly.

Goldberg was never close to Brock - at least in the way that I look at pro wrestling. Goldberg was a football player who learned to act like a great pro wrestler but couldn't handle someone like Steve Regal. Brock was a legitimately great amateur wrestler and MMA fighter - the real deal by any standard - who learned to tone it down to be a pro rassler. Goldberg deserves credit for getting in great shape.

What? That wasn't a shoot match. Goldberg had no idea how to work a non-squash match against someone on Regals level at the time. Goldberg was Brock before Brock in Pro Wrestling because they both were big strong guys who had success outside of pro wrestling who were built as monsters, dominated and achieved success from their debut onwards.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#127 » by WRau1 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:03 pm

Max Green wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

What? That wasn't a shoot match. Goldberg had no idea how to work a non-squash match against someone on Regals level at the time. Goldberg was Brock before Brock in Pro Wrestling because they both were big strong guys who had success outside of pro wrestling who were built as monsters, dominated and achieved success from their debut onwards.

Other than being big and muscular, I don't really see a Brock & Goldberg comparison.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,209

Post#128 » by LLJ » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:22 pm

whysoserious wrote:
safi wrote:
Rhettmatic wrote:

Hadn't ever heard that story so thanks for sharing. Hogan was very slimy and I hated everything I slowly found out about how he operated.

Taker to me is the gold standard and he prided himself on not injuring anyone with the piledriver (it was banned as a move for anyone besides Taker eventually).

Bret Hart will tell anyone who will listen all about how much he hates Hogan and what a slimeball he can be.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,209

Post#129 » by LLJ » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:25 pm

MistyMountain20 wrote:Isn't it weird that security and the refs get rid of Ambrose, but Harper can just hang around.

Not gonna lie, for a second this post made me think you were talking about Rona Ambrose and Stephen Harper :lol:
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#130 » by gambitx777 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:00 pm

So i know a lot of people are not happy about the ending of Goldburg V Lesner, But give WWE credit for realizing what is really going on. If they were going to cash the Lesner monster chip to make a new star they should not have had roman eat the pin for him at mania a couple of years ago, they would have let seth get some clean wins on him, they would have put brey over in a program,they should have put dean over by him going old school super hardcore dean, or they instead of seth V fin they would have done the Demon king V the beast and had fin win clean. They let brock get stale and when they let him go fight that UFC fight it hurt their booking of him. Brock was not super dominant, and then he got hit for performance enhancers. Brock needs a reboot and here it is. it would be nice for them to put the belt on goldburg then let brock destory him for it, they when fin comes back its Fin V brock.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#131 » by WRau1 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:37 pm

Finn should've been the one to go over Brock clean. His offense plays into what Brock's weaknesses have been portrayed.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#132 » by detroitKG » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:44 am

Sry in no world would I ever find Balor going over Lesnar as believable...thats laughable really.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#133 » by gambitx777 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:56 am

That's why it should have happened. Because putting the demon king over the beast would have started to build a ledgend. then you can start building fin and the "Demon King" and once hes big enough let him go down to a young guy, fin's not young you know.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,271

Post#134 » by jakecronus8 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:33 am

detroitKG wrote:Sry in no world would I ever find Balor going over Lesnar as believable...thats laughable really.

But you buy a 50 year old man dormant for 12 years? :lol:
Do it for Chuck

Return to Pro Wrestling