Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Re: Trade Deadline - Feb 23 

Post#101 » by Dame Lizard » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:07 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
Oden2 wrote:
TBpup wrote:
Late 1st round picks due to his contract status might be available. Gasol is out for a while in SA and imagine how his passing ability would fit in for the Warriors.

At that point is it worth it? Late firsts or seconds often end up being merely a waste of salary anyhow. Sure we could strike it rich but the odds of that are beyond low

Portland has to dump salary and some bad contracts. A late 1st might be enough incentive to be able to dump some of those contracts. Blazers need something to offset the negative value so many of their players have at this point

That's a good idea Wiz, but unfortunately it'll never actually happen.

I'd always just been thinking we should trade Plumlee as I don't think we should resign him (given whatever 2017 FA money he'll make), but when you put it like that, trading Plumlee to dump Crabbe or ET sounds better.
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#102 » by Masterfully » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:10 am

Dame Lizard wrote:
Masterfully wrote:Spitballing here. What about a trade where the principal trade is CJ to Boston for Jaylen Brown and Brooklyn's pick. I understand that there is some weirdness with CJ's contract. Perhaps Philly is involved to absorb Amir Johnson's contract?

Boston wouldn't do that. Brooklyn's pick is currently at the #1 position, and Jaylen Brown is their #3 pick from the recent draft. Tbh I don't rate Jaylen Brown at all, but the Celtics clearly do.

Also, Avery Bradley could well be as good if not better than CJ for Boston's set-up, given they have IT at the point and Bradley is a great defender (for which IT clearly isn't).

Certainly would be a risk for Boston. Last year I floated the same idea, CJ for their pick, and was similarly shot down. Boston would look like geniuses now if they had made that trade.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant

Post#103 » by Dame Lizard » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:18 am

Oden2 wrote:
TBpup wrote:
Goldbum wrote:I wonder if we can get a 1st round pick for Plumlee...

Late 1st round picks due to his contract status might be available. Gasol is out for a while in SA and imagine how his passing ability would fit in for the Warriors.

At that point is it worth it? Late firsts or seconds often end up being merely a waste of salary anyhow. Sure we could strike it rich but the odds of that are beyond low

Jimmy Butler (2011 #30), Draymond Green (2012 #35), Gobert (2013 #27). Jokic (2014, #42).

Whilst it might be rare, the above list are superstar players. Jokic is an absolute monster, I actually like him more than Porzingis.

It's worth a gamble for us. Something's gotta give with this roster.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#104 » by Downtown » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:19 pm

Okay, my apology to anyone who tried to read my post. My computer is on it's last legs and i'm about ready to smash it with a hammer. So if you attempted to follow my post with over a page of quotes I'm sorry. Luckily I switched to my phone and was able to delete it.

Anyways, I'll leave quotes out of this one. I just wanted to expand on some quotes regarding Mason Plumlee. He's been playing good lately in my opinion and after watching how easily Celtic guards were getting by the perimeter going to the basket with a full head of steam I'm not certain any centre could stop them without taking a hard foul, and we know Plumlee can take hard fouls when he has to.There's also not much interior help from the forwards either so the blame needs to be shared.

With that being said, like others here I have to wonder if trading him may make some sense by selling high. If this team made the next step up the ladder this season after Paul Allen agreed to overspend to keep this group together then perhaps giving Plumlee a big payday might have been in order and take the luxury tax hit. But since this team is going the other direction you have to wonder if he's willing to do so, which is a shame because unlike a number of our high paid players Plumlee is actually playing like he deserves a raise. Plumlee is in the right spot at the wrong time.

I don't know what team would want him other than I think it would be a playoff contending team looking for that extra ingredient for just this season but if such a team had some extra assets they may be willing to give up for that I would think Olshey would have to consider it. The big question is who then takes over the starting centre spot?
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#105 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:36 pm

Downtown wrote:I just wanted to expand on some quotes regarding Mason Plumlee.

....like others here I have to wonder if trading him may make some sense by selling high. If this team made the next step up the ladder this season after Paul Allen agreed to overspend to keep this group together then perhaps giving Plumlee a big payday might have been in order and take the luxury tax hit. But since this team is going the other direction you have to wonder if he's willing to do so, which is a shame because unlike a number of our high paid players Plumlee is actually playing like he deserves a raise. Plumlee is in the right spot at the wrong time.

I don't know what team would want him other than I think it would be a playoff contending team looking for that extra ingredient for just this season but if such a team had some extra assets they may be willing to give up for that I would think Olshey would have to consider it. The big question is who then takes over the starting centre spot?

first, I don't think it would be a case of "selling high". You can't sell high on a player who has 30 or fewer games left on their rookie deal. Not only that, teams want to have rim protectors...those are coveted C's....that's not Plumlee. Teams that have good rim protectors aren't inclined to trade them, and teams that don't have good rim protectors are usually desperate to get one. Unfortunately, there aren't nearly as many decent rim protectors as there are teams. Portland is desperate to find one, but it sure looks like that search may be as frustrating as their decade long search for a PG (and that's why Olshey's logic, if you can call it that, in the Robin Lopez vs Meyers decisions was such a colossal failure)

anyway, while I don't like the thinking behind trading Plumlee (because there's a lot of bad management leading to it), there may be reason to do so if Portland can get a later 1st round pick in the trade. If Portland had something like the 25th and 28th picks in the draft, they could use them to move up a little in the order or as leverage to unload some bad salary. If nothing else, they would represent inexpensive options for filling out a roster next year that may be deep into the luxury tax

the added benefit to it deals with your last question...who would replace Plumlee. Meyers of course. That's what Olshey apparently wants, and that's what Stotts would be forced to do. Now, a team that's hard to enjoy watching a lot of the time would become almost unbearable with lots-of-meyers, but the benefit would be that it would elevate Portland's own pick. Based just upon winshares, Meyers for Plumlee would give Portland 3-4 fewer wins, which in turn would allow Portland to climb up in the draft order and increase lottery odds. I actually think it would be fewer wins then just 3-4 because I believe Portland has become extremely dependent on Plumlee's play-making and facilitating; without it, my hunch is that Portland's offense would stall-out consistently. Besides that, as much grief as Plumlee gets for his defense, he's still better then meyers, and a much better rebounder as well

now, if you happen to think that Paul Allen would be ok with paying 60-70 million a year in luxury tax then it's probably a non-issue. I just have a hard time believing he'd be ok with those kinds of tax bills for a team stuck in the late-lottery-to-8th-seed purgatory.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#106 » by Norm2953 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:53 pm

I got all kinds of grief for suggesting we trade Dame bit he's literally the only player on
the roster that can bring back any type of return given CJ is PPP.

I'd be all for a salary dump deal that at least would give the team some flexibility as far as
the LT threshold (or how to minimize LT). If that helped the team get into the lottery and
out of the 8 hole, so be it for the latter part of the lottery is where most of the PF/C in
this coming draft will fall after the PG's come off the board.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#107 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:37 pm

Id like to see Nurkic playing for this franchise, cause hes young talented C and hes my fellow countryman
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant

Re: RE: Re: Trade Deadline - Feb 23 

Post#108 » by Dame Lizard » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:14 pm

Norm2953 wrote:I got all kinds of grief for suggesting we trade Dame bit he's literally the only player on
the roster that can bring back any type of return given CJ is PPP.

I'd be all for a salary dump deal that at least would give the team some flexibility as far as
the LT threshold (or how to minimize LT). If that helped the team get into the lottery and
out of the 8 hole, so be it for the latter part of the lottery is where most of the PF/C in
this coming draft will fall after the PG's come off the board.

Dame (and CJ) are on very long-term deals and are just entering their prime. I don't think there is any reason to trade one of them so soon imo, unless it's for a no-brainer offer (for which there won't be many of those, if any).

Imo we should play around with what we've got (outside of Dame and CJ) and if that doesn't work, look to blow the roster up further down the track.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,406

Post#109 » by Blazinaway » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:17 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:Id like to see Nurkic playing for this franchise, cause hes young talented C and hes my fellow countryman

well he had a DNP last night so perhaps things are cookin, who knows
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#110 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:26 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
Dzon Dilindzer wrote:Id like to see Nurkic playing for this franchise, cause hes young talented C and hes my fellow countryman

well he had a DNP last night so perhaps things are cookin, who knows

he already had 4-5 consecutive DNPs, but after he went saying publicly that he doesnt see his future at Denver, he played every game if Im right, and last night he didnt play, but night before that he did, so who would know whats happening

its Malone you know, he doesnt like Nurkic, or his game
acidfrehley
Sophomore
And1: 176

Post#111 » by acidfrehley » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:02 pm

Who would bite CJ for Jabari straight up?
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#112 » by Fitz303 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:15 pm

acidfrehley wrote:Who would bite CJ for Jabari straight up?

Not me. I don't see the fit with Jabari in Portland. He's a very talented player, don't get me wrong. However, he's not a very good defender, and plays a position where the Blazers greatest need is defense. If we're going to move CJ, it needs to be for a real defensive difference maker in the front court. You've basically just traded CJ for the CJ of the PF position.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,470

Post#113 » by Pattycakes » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:49 pm

Dame Lizard wrote:
Oden2 wrote:
TBpup wrote:

Jimmy Butler (2011 #30), Draymond Green (2012 #35), Gobert (2013 #27). Jokic (2014, #42).

Whilst it might be rare, the above list are superstar players. Jokic is an absolute monster, I actually like him more than Porzingis.

None of those players you mentioned are superstars, but point taken.
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#114 » by Masterfully » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:02 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
Dame Lizard wrote:
Oden2 wrote:

None of those players you mentioned are superstars, but point taken.

Ah the age old "what is a star?" debate. When I was a boy a star was someone like Clyde Drexler or Patrick Ewing, while a superstar was someone like Jordan or Magic. Now every player in the league is a star and anyone remotely elite is a superstar.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,526

Post#115 » by zzaj » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:23 pm

I doubt we're going to see any 'salary dump' trades. If salary is shed it'll be a lot more hidden.

My reasoning? Any salary dump trade is the same as Olshey admitting he screwed up last offseason--for a variety of reasons, I don't see him admitting that.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#116 » by RipCity71252 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:36 pm

Any deal involving this year's picks is going to make me sad, unless it's an obvious win for us. If Neil plays his cards right, there's a starting level and rotation level player to be had at both those picks.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#117 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:13 pm

My wife is Serbian
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#118 » by Soulyss » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:54 pm

acidfrehley wrote:Who would bite CJ for Jabari straight up?

I really like Jabari, and have been on his bandwagon for a while now... but Frankly I think CJ is worth more at this point, but him as the PG alongside the freak would make a ton of sense.

Portland's problem is on the defensive end... Do we believe that moving Crabbe into the starting lineup would fix that? It certainly is a more efficient use of our money. We still don't have a center of the future...
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#119 » by Soulyss » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:54 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:

My wife is Serbian

I bet you guys are now related! :lol:
WarriorsLakers
Junior
And1: 56

Post#120 » by WarriorsLakers » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:56 pm

evan turner/crabbe for deng/mozgov?

Return to Portland Trail Blazers