ImageImage

Hornets make Collison available

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Butter
General Manager
And1: 123

Re: Hornets make Collison available 

Post#21 » by Butter » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:59 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:True, but a nice 3 way trade could help.

Iggy to New Orleans, Peja and 3rd parties young prospect to Philly, and Collison to third party.

That way they get out of a big contract, and they can get a nice young prospect that isn't a PG.

Dunno how they feel about Holiday though, and if they are high on Collison, they could move Holliday as well.

Anyway, if you guys want Collison, we'll give him to you with Peja, and take some contracts you don't want in exchange for Oden. We'll even throw in West or Okafor if you want :)

But honestly, if it ever came down to being forced to trade Chris Paul, I would want to do it with something involving Oden, that way I could live with the trade and hope for a productive future.

Moving Oden for Paul seems like it'd be a PR home run for the Blazers. Even if Oden becomes a dominant center for years, a franchise PG who can maximize the talent on this roster is pretty good return.
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,883
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#22 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:08 am

Oden is probably the only young player we could get that legitimately that has superstar potential as well, and gives us something to build around.

I'd hate to do it for the same reason you guys would hate to do Roy for Paul, we do tend to grow attached to our guys.

I know Paul wouldn't Kobe out and demand a trade though, so it's moot.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Butter
General Manager
And1: 123

Post#23 » by Butter » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:23 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:Oden is probably the only young player we could get that legitimately that has superstar potential as well, and gives us something to build around.

I'd hate to do it for the same reason you guys would hate to do Roy for Paul, we do tend to grow attached to our guys.

I know Paul wouldn't Kobe out and demand a trade though, so it's moot.

What did you think of my 3-way trade idea?
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:27 am

I dig it.

Peterson is also an expiring though, don't know if you realized that.

Still leaves us Peja, Wright as some valuable trade pieces as well.

Hornets were stuck in mediocrity for a while, but hitting on Collison and Thornton and all of these terrible contracts coming to an end has put us in a nice spot to make some real noise.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#25 » by JD45 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:37 am

Oden, Miller, Rudy and Joel for Paul and Okafor would be a great deal.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
portlandoden
Pro Prospect
And1: 50

Post#26 » by portlandoden » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:46 am

JD45 wrote:Oden, Miller, Rudy and Joel for Paul and Okafor would be a great deal.

i normally hate oden deals as they always sell us short, but this one cashes in on his huge potential. i dunno if NO do this, but i would. i love greg, but paul is the best PG in the league (imo) and a top 5 player (again imo.) i reckon either team would love to have paul and oden though, but that wouldnt work for either team (without giving up roy, no thanks.) miller and oden is a great combo though, we saw early season how miller was actively getting oden looks on the inside. great entry passer.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#27 » by no D in Hibachi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:48 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:This "wiretap" was speculation by Marc Stein, who is clearly an idiot. How would moving Collison and Peja clear a cap clogging salary? IF Peja is moved, just as much salary has to come back, and Peja is an expiring anyway, so either way, the $$ will be off the books at the same time....

Not that Collison shouldn't be available, but "Hornets may make Collison available" is something we all knew all along.

There are enough teams out there with open cap space that can absorb Peja for a TPE, which is what they're looking for Stein may be speculating, but he's not clearly an idiot on this. For a team to be willing to absorb Peja's contract the acquiring team needs serious incentive, aka, Collison or #11.
J~Rush
Head Coach
And1: 28

Post#28 » by J~Rush » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:58 am

no D in Hibachi wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:This "wiretap" was speculation by Marc Stein, who is clearly an idiot. How would moving Collison and Peja clear a cap clogging salary? IF Peja is moved, just as much salary has to come back, and Peja is an expiring anyway, so either way, the $$ will be off the books at the same time....

Not that Collison shouldn't be available, but "Hornets may make Collison available" is something we all knew all along.

There are enough teams out there with open cap space that can absorb Peja for a TPE, which is what they're looking for Stein may be speculating, but he's not clearly an idiot on this. For a team to be willing to absorb Peja's contract the acquiring team needs serious incentive, aka, Collison or #11.

I found the D:

Hibadchi
e
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#29 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:37 am

I would trade Roy straight up for Paul. I'd even be willing to throw a little something extra in the mix to make it happen.

Trading Oden for Paul is intriguing, but I can't seriously think the Hornets would do that until Oden shows he can stay healthy, at which time I can't seriously think the Blazers would do that.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,140

Post#30 » by cucad8 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:55 am

shaolin wrote:i hear u. but look at OKC. they're a contender starting next season with current squad. we got guys in mid 20's + camby and howard which is fair.

I don't see OKC as a legit contender next season with their current squad. No contender is going to have Green and Krstic as their frontcourt.

Just my opinion, at this time, Miller to Collison is a step back for us, and doing it so that in a year or two, maybe we start a dynasty run is dumb. What if next year, the year we take a step back, is the only year we ever havea healthy Oden? If that's the case, I want to throw out our best lineup and team, not a team we think will be awesome 2-8 years from now. What if Roy's knees start to break down, and he has 5 good years left. Getting a super young PG who won't really even hit his actual prime until ROy is gone doesn't make me all giddy.

Like I said, I'm always looking for an upgrade, but I'm done with the thought of 12 guys all the same age. The 10 year dynasty thing is naive. I want to be contenders for that long. You do that with a solid core. A team's core is usually 2-4 guys, with changeable pieces. I see the PG being a changeable piece on our team. I'm not worried about making that a core piece, or trying to find a core piece to jam in there. I'll continuosly take a stop gap at the position and be fine, unless we land an obvious Paul, Williams type.

Now, that being said, I'm more than happy to grab a young PG, like Collison, but not to annoint him the starter, and dump Miller for him.
cucad8
Head Coach

Post#31 » by cucad8 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:57 am

In that 3 way, if Philly is getting back Rudy, Martell and Joel, I'll gladly take Iggy over Collison and scrap SFs.

As for Philly wanting Collison, with Jrue, I can't see why they would.
blazers73
Pro Prospect

Post#32 » by blazers73 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:07 am

I think our main competition for Collison would be the Pacers.

I also don't think Collison holds any value for Philly. Holiday proved himself just as much if not more than Collison. But if No wants Iggy, then hopefully some 3 way could be done so everyone gets what they want.

I think Collison would be a lateral move for next year not a step back. And progress every year after that. I don't have a high opinion of Miller so IMO it is a no brainer.

Oden for Paul hmmmm. Very interesting. I think I would pull the trigger on that. I don't think Paul and Roy would mesh perfectly but Paul is a top 10 player. We would compete next year.
Camby
LA
Batum
Roy
Paul
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:11 am

What did Holliday do better than Collison?
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,935

Post#34 » by DusterBuster » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:32 am

I apologize if this has already been answered, but Stein wasn't wrong it saying that moving Peja's contract would be beneficial. In the story, he's talking more about the Hornets being back in the luxury tax again next season. If they can find a way to shed Peja's contract for instant savings, say sending Collison with Peja to a team with cap space, it would help keep them away from paying the tax. That definitely would have been a huge plus under the old ownership, not so sure about the new ownership however. I thought they were less money conscious now.

Anyway, what about Miller, Rudy, and the Blazers pick for Collison and Posey?
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,935

Post#35 » by DusterBuster » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:34 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:What did Holliday do better than Collison?

Philly is the GS of the East imo. Not in terms of style of play, but in terms of how much their fan base overrates seriously mediocre talent. Sixer fans go nuts over 3 young guys on their team, Young, Holiday and Speights. I personally don't think any of them are special at all. I don't even really think they're starter quality on a good team.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,307

Post#36 » by Shem » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:21 am

I would almost think it would be too good to be true if the Blazers went after Collison.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
blazers73
Pro Prospect

Post#37 » by blazers73 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:48 am

What did Holliday do better than Collison?

I had in my head that Holiday played more minutes than Collison. Thus more proven in the sense he can lead a team successfully and has had more "experience" doing it. After checking the facts, I was wrong :oops: . Collison played 27 minutes per game while Holiday played 24 per game. Even if Holiday did play more minutes , I didn't mean to imply Holiday is a better PG than Collison. I would love either of them in Portland. But the fact remains, Philly has little use for Collison.

NO should of course practice due diligence and see what other teams can offer for Collison. I'm sure the Pacers would be interested. Other than that, I don't see many teams that covet him as much as the Pacers and Blazers and have the pieces.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:37 pm

DusterBuster wrote:

I apologize if this has already been answered, but Stein wasn't wrong it saying that moving Peja's contract would be beneficial. In the story, he's talking more about the Hornets being back in the luxury tax again next season. If they can find a way to shed Peja's contract for instant savings, say sending Collison with Peja to a team with cap space, it would help keep them away from paying the tax. That definitely would have been a huge plus under the old ownership, not so sure about the new ownership however. I thought they were less money conscious now.

Anyway, what about Miller, Rudy, and the Blazers pick for Collison and Posey?

Might be better to find a 3rd party that wants miller, and send something else to us. We need a backup PG, but I'm not sure Miller would be happy with limited minutes, he's a good player that deserves close to 30 a night at least.

I'd like to have Rudy here though, another draft choice would be nice, and even Miller would be nice, but we could probably get someone else that is better value on our team than Miller.
cucad8
Head Coach

Post#39 » by cucad8 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:44 pm

I don't think Holliday did anything all that better than Collison for Philly. I just don't see a point in making a move like that if I am Philadelphia. Say each player hits their ceiling, and Collison is slightly better. I'd take Iggy and Holiday over Collison by himself. Or, Holliday, and whatever else I can get for Iggy in a trade. I just wouldn't see a point in trading an asset for a second year PG, when we(they) would have their own they are quite comfortable with. It would seem more of a lateral move, and then you have the issue of 2 young points, and losing Iggy.

I can't see us as a good trading partner for Collison, because of the potential new owner, and actually having the money to spend. Sure, we can offer Joel and Rudy for Posey and Collison, so NO can save money, but if it was strictly about saving money, they can try offering Peterson and Collison to a team with cap space, and not have to take back a matching contract in return. If I'm the Clippers, I'd be interested in adding Collison, local product, as a successor to Davis, to grow with Griffin.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 pm

Lock this thread guys, Pacer fans have informed me that it would be best if we trade Collison, Okafor and our pick for Troy Murphy and Brandon Rush.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers