BballFanAddict
Analyst
And1: 36
Location: "The face of a child says a lot, especially the mouth part."

Re: Blazers / Cavs talking deal? 

Post#81 » by BballFanAddict » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:53 pm

lukeyrid13 wrote:
BballFanAddict wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:Why did Portland take LMA #2 when our best player was Z-bo....why didn't we take Jordan cause we had Drexler. If you can get the guy who you think is the 2nd best player in a draft you do it

Not when the owner says the Blazers are '"retooling" instead of rebuilding. I guess what it comes down to is if it is significantly adverse Portland's cap space or not. If it isn't, then fine by me; but if it prevents Portland from getting a C or PG in FA, then why do it?

Well if you trade Shawne Williams, Babbitt and Kurt Thomas that adds up to 6 mil. TT was making 7.1 this year so probably closer to 8 this upcoming year and then difference between salary in 2 and 6 and you'd lose like 3.5 mil or something

Plus if you really wanted they could trade Wes for cap space and a mid to late first and end up at a net positive in cap space after those deals

If Portland can retain the 11th or 6th while getting the 2nd, and while only hitting the cap for a few million, then I would be all for it.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#82 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:00 pm

I sure wish Thomas' contract wasn't so long. That thing is REALLY unsightly, even for the 2nd pick.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
chocodog
Junior
And1: 7

Post#83 » by chocodog » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:09 pm

based on various reports, it sounds like the bobcats' #2 is more attainable than #3 or #4. Also, based on olshey statements that the blazers are mores "retooling" than "rebuilding" thomas robinson would be a logical choice. From what I have seen from the top tier prospects, Beal is still the guy i like the most (outside of davis) for the blazers and in general as a potential nab star. I'd love for the blazer's to get him if it involved something reasonable like removing lottery protection on next years pick, adding a young player like nolan smith and taking back diop' contract.

I think the first thing the blazers should consider (if they haven't yet) is moving #6 for a legit nba center/forward who is under age 30 to pair with aldridge. Even if neither team agrees, at least explore swapping #6 for al horford or joakim noah.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#84 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:33 pm

Horford would be a decent pairing with LMA.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,531

Post#85 » by zzaj » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:41 pm

If the Blazers could figure out a way to get Robinson and Lillard out of this draft...Olshey will be my new hero. I fully believe that Aldridge will work in today's "Stretch 5" NBA.

Lillard
Mathews
Batum
Robinson
Aldridge

THAT would be an exciting team...
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#86 » by Village Idiot » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:09 am

zzaj wrote:If the Blazers could figure out a way to get Robinson and Lillard out of this draft...Olshey will be my new hero. I fully believe that Aldridge will work in today's "Stretch 5" NBA.

Lillard
Mathews
Batum
Robinson
Aldridge

THAT would be an exciting team...

Thomas Robinson reminds me a lot of Karl Malone. Same build and penchant for scoring (without getting style points) and monster rebounders.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#87 » by Blazinaway » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:01 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:If they were going to two I imagine their target is Beal, since the Wizards and Cavs are targeting Beal as well.

hmmm, get the #2 and force CLE to offer 4 and 24 for #2 if they wanr beal? Perhaps take Robinsom at #4, can't imagine Was would take him with all their bigs, key would then be whether we traded #6 or #11 to get #2? Yes, Robinson/Lillard would be a great draft, would #24 and #11 get us #8 from Toronto?
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#88 » by mojomarc » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:29 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:
I still say LaMarcus and Robinson could work though. I believe in the dream of the 90s. I should be banned for a Portlandia reference, I am sorry.

But instead of "all the hot girls wear glasses" line, it's "DWade and Westbrook wear glasses without the lenses," right?
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,832

Post#89 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:07 pm

mojomarc wrote:
I still say LaMarcus and Robinson could work though. I believe in the dream of the 90s. I should be banned for a Portlandia reference, I am sorry.

But instead of "all the hot girls wear glasses" line, it's "DWade and Westbrook wear glasses without the lenses," right?

Ugh, that glasses without lenses thing has been around for years - it is what the hipsters do, BJ Novak's character on The Office has been wearing them for like three plus years. It is irritating.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by mojomarc » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:10 pm

BballFanAddict wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:Why did Portland take LMA #2 when our best player was Z-bo....why didn't we take Jordan cause we had Drexler. If you can get the guy who you think is the 2nd best player in a draft you do it

Not when the owner says the Blazers are '"retooling" instead of rebuilding. I guess what it comes down to is if it is significantly adverse Portland's cap space or not. If it isn't, then fine by me; but if it prevents Portland from getting a C or PG in FA, then why do it?

Also, that statement about "you take BPA" makes a lot more sense when the BPA is Jordan or the BPA is LMA. When you have a player that you can project to an All Star level, that's a great statement. Outside of Davis, is there anyone really in this draft that you can project with confidence to the All Star level? I know I"m not seeing it (unless Drummond has adopts Lillard's work ethic).
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by mojomarc » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:11 pm

mojomarc wrote:

Ugh, that glasses without lenses thing has been around for years - it is what the hipsters do, BJ Novak's character on The Office has been wearing them for like three plus years. It is irritating.

It's incredibly irritating. And a character doing it on a sitcom is a lot less irritating than NBA players doing it at press conferences. That's just pathetic.
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,832

Post#92 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:16 pm

I'm pretty sure BJ Novak does it in real life too, since a lot of their characters (the side ones) are just exaggerated versions of themselves.

I don't really take exception to the players doing it anymore than the hipsters I see doing it while just walking down the street because it is the new ~cool and edgy hip~ thing to do. And then they do those big Clark Kent glasses without the lenses. COME ON.
Clarity
Banned User
And1: 843

Post#93 » by Clarity » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:39 pm

zzaj wrote:
Clarity wrote:...we basically know both players now. Barnes is the most NBA ready player in this draft. I dont think its a mystery what he is.

I think most people will disagree with you on that. Barnes still has plenty of question marks.

like what?

Hes an above avg shooter who struggles in an iso situation, hes pretty good in the post, hes a pretty good defender, he averaged 17ppg in college.

Id say Barnes is the player we know the most about in this draft, Davis included.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,942

Post#94 » by Effigy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:39 pm

Clarity wrote:
zzaj wrote:
Clarity wrote:...we basically know both players now. Barnes is the most NBA ready player in this draft. I dont think its a mystery what he is.

I think most people will disagree with you on that. Barnes still has plenty of question marks.

like what?

Hes an above avg shooter who struggles in an iso situation, hes pretty good in the post, hes a pretty good defender, he averaged 17ppg in college.

Id say Barnes is the player we know the most about in this draft, Davis included.

Barnes seems very Rudy Gay like to me. Their games aren't identical, but I believe they're both above average small forwards. Fring all star level. Which isn't bad from the 6th pick, honestly. But is a recipe for more mediocrity. I'd rather shoot big and get MKG or Beal if we feel like they're sure all-stars. Not sold on Beal yet though, he reminds me of Kerry Kittles for some reason. Maybe it's the illiteraion of his name...
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,531

Post#95 » by zzaj » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:19 pm

Clarity wrote:
zzaj wrote:

like what?

I meant that most would disagree that Barnes is the most NBA ready player in this draft. The question marks are if his lack of elite ability to create for himself, subpar finishing at the rim and high shot rate make him NBA ready.

Don't get me wrong, I like Barnes and think he'll be a pretty good player...I just don't think he trumps Davis or Robinson as most NBA ready.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#96 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:39 pm

I think even Lillard and Waiters are more NBA ready than Barnes.

In fact, my top 5 most NBA ready (and ROY candidates) are: Davis, Robinson, Beal, Lillard, Waiters.
Clarity
Banned User

Post#97 » by Clarity » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:51 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:I'm pretty sure BJ Novak does it in real life too, since a lot of their characters (the side ones) are just exaggerated versions of themselves.

I don't really take exception to the players doing it anymore than the hipsters I see doing it while just walking down the street because it is the new ~cool and edgy hip~ thing to do. And then they do those big Clark Kent glasses without the lenses. COME ON.

haha

I read yesterday that NBC errr Dundler Mifflin is cutting back Ryan's hours this year, cant say im too upset about that.

*moves in on Kelly*
Clarity
Banned User

Post#98 » by Clarity » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:56 pm

Effigy wrote:

Barnes seems very Rudy Gay like to me. Their games aren't identical, but I believe they're both above average small forwards. Fring all star level. Which isn't bad from the 6th pick, honestly. But is a recipe for more mediocrity. I'd rather shoot big and get MKG or Beal if we feel like they're sure all-stars. Not sold on Beal yet though, he reminds me of Kerry Kittles for some reason. Maybe it's the illiteraion of his name...

Rudy Gay is a major upgrade over Batum currently. If you had Roy still & your PG was good this wouldnt be an issue but when you desperately need perimeter help & youre staring overpaying in a major way for potential in the face & an upgrade (certainly offensively most would admit) comes along that is much cheaper, its tough to just pass that up.

zzaj wrote:
I meant that most would disagree that Barnes is the most NBA ready player in this draft. The question marks are if his lack of elite ability to create for himself, subpar finishing at the rim and high shot rate make him NBA ready.

Don't get me wrong, I like Barnes and think he'll be a pretty good player...I just don't think he trumps Davis or Robinson as most NBA ready.

Like I said I doubt anyone can give as thorough a breakdown on any other player in this draft more than Barnes, there arent many question marks on who he is.

Your concerns in your post for instance are well known, right now he has good ability to create his own shot but not elite, he can finish at the rim but he needs to get much stronger. He can definitely be a 17-20 ppg player immediately.

Robinson may be more NBA ready but his size may hinder his impact a bit, Davis is more than NBA ready defensively, offensively hes a 75 foot question mark.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers