ImageImage

Anything Goes Thread 5.0

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Re: Anything Goes Thread 5.0 

Post#681 » by Soulyss » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:46 pm

Wickzki wrote:Sad to hear the news about Channing Frye's mother passing away. Will always be a fan of his. Really nice guy.

That is an incredibly tough thing, losing a parent young... and even though he's in his early 30's, he's still young. I'm almost 40 and can't even fathom not having my folks around.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#682 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sat Nov 5, 2016 6:41 pm

I found this recently... Not sure if it has been posted before but ROFL

https://www.reddit.com/r/rareterrys/
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#683 » by Jstock12 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:26 pm

Domas or Arvydas? :D

The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,832

Re: Ideal Trade Ideas 

Post#684 » by The Sebastian Express » Sun Jan 8, 2017 2:58 am

I don't have anything to add to this trade thread specifically except my never ending love for Noel and I still think we should try to trade for him, but I did want to vent my frustration at the inclusion of Matthews in that one trade board thread as some type of negative addition for not getting anything for him at the trade deadline before he ruptured his achilles a few of you will know what I'm agitated about in this incredibly long run-on sentence I've just wrote.
mactrapper10
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#685 » by mactrapper10 » Sun Jan 8, 2017 3:29 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:I don't have anything to add to this trade thread specifically except my never ending love for Noel and I still think we should try to trade for him, but I did want to vent my frustration at the inclusion of Matthews in that one trade board thread as some type of negative addition for not getting anything for him at the trade deadline before he ruptured his achilles a few of you will know what I'm agitated about in this incredibly long run-on sentence I've just wrote.

If we are airing our past grievances, I'm still mad that we didn't draft Adam Morrison in 2006 and that we didn't keep him in 2012 when he was a training camp invitee.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#686 » by DusterBuster » Sun Jan 8, 2017 4:31 am

mactrapper10 wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:I don't have anything to add to this trade thread specifically except my never ending love for Noel and I still think we should try to trade for him, but I did want to vent my frustration at the inclusion of Matthews in that one trade board thread as some type of negative addition for not getting anything for him at the trade deadline before he ruptured his achilles a few of you will know what I'm agitated about in this incredibly long run-on sentence I've just wrote.

If we are airing our past grievances, I'm still mad that we didn't draft Adam Morrison in 2006 and that we didn't keep him in 2012 when he was a training camp invitee.

And why the hell did we ever let Brian Grant go!
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
mactrapper10
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#687 » by mactrapper10 » Sun Jan 8, 2017 5:01 am

DusterBuster wrote:
mactrapper10 wrote:

And why the hell did we ever let Brian Grant go!

Oh boy- that's a good one. At least he is back in some capacity now. Too bad we never got to see what Petteri Koponen could do.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,541

Post#688 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Jan 8, 2017 5:26 am

Well, thats kind of on you then.

After all, the lister did list 3 times that it was a list of every major move (and non move) he could quickly think of, and that he didn;t think all of them were negative at all (CJ extension for instance).

But I feel like thats been explained a bunch, and you cannot force people to listen!
The Sebastian Express

Post#689 » by The Sebastian Express » Sun Jan 8, 2017 6:19 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:

After all, the lister did list 3 times that it was a list of every major move (and non move) he could quickly think of, and that he didn;t think all of them were negative at all (CJ extension for instance).

But I feel like thats been explained a bunch, and you cannot force people to listen!

The way you phrased it is most certainly negative move. You could have said 'didn't resign Matthews after his injury.'. But you didn't. You specifically listed 'not trading Matthews before he left.'. Why would they have traded Matthews? They had all intent to resign him. They could not foresee a freak accident such as this.

Here's the deal. You listed it that way and that's on -you-. That isn't on me. And if you don't want to accept you worded it poorly and made it look negative in what is supposed to be a neutral list, that's fine. But please don't act like the way it is worded doesn't look like Portland just decided not to trade away Matthews and let him go when he was healthy for nothing. That isn't how that played out and you know it.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,541

Post#690 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Jan 8, 2017 6:33 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

The way you phrased it is most certainly negative move. You could have said 'didn't resign Matthews after his injury.'. But you didn't. You specifically listed 'not trading Matthews before he left.'. Why would they have traded Matthews? They had all intent to resign him. They could not foresee a freak accident such as this.

Here's the deal. You listed it that way and that's on -you-. That isn't on me. And if you don't want to accept you worded it poorly and made it look negative in what is supposed to be a neutral list, that's fine. But please don't act like the way it is worded doesn't look like Portland just decided not to trade away Matthews and let him go when he was healthy for nothing. That isn't how that played out and you know it.

Here is the full listing:

-- Not trading LMA before he left
-- Not trading Mathews before he left

You can complain about that wording, but it is certainly accurate. Portland choose not to trade Mathews before he entered unrestricted free agency, and in unrestricted free agency he left with no compensation. {List also should probably have included Lopez for the same}. I'm not sure how that isn't fair. It is a factual statement, and as you yourself highlight Mathews didn't have his injury yet when the trade deadline came and went.

If anyone is asking should the choices of Portland be debated -- which in that thread someone argued they should not -- that one qualifies as one worth debating. Portland had a choice to cash out on not just LMA, but also Mathews (and Lopez) and that was a huge decision, whether they made it right or wrong.

Spoiler:
If anyone is moving past is it fair to suggest that is worth debate and actually engaging in that debate, I think the question of should Portland have kept Mathews at the trade deadline entirely depends upon what they decided to do with LMA. If they were keeping LMA, you certainly don't trade Mathews (and Lopez?) and limp into the playoffs and LMA's unrestricted free agency. If you think LMA is leaving, you should trade him and then -- injury or no unexpected injury -- you probably should move on from Mathews as well. So, whether the Mathews decision was right or wrong imo depends upon whether the LMA decision was.

Edit: If you are just focusing on whether offering Mathews a big contract after his injury and after LMA left was a wise idea, I feel like that was trivially clearly not a good idea and agree. But the much bigger decision was what to do at the trade deadline, which is not an easy decision.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#691 » by DusterBuster » Sun Jan 8, 2017 7:00 am

Jesus Christ HW, you really need to let it go. I know I'm probably stepping on mod toes here but this is getting ... as you would say ... absurd. Maybe step away from the keyboard and get some fresh air dude.
The Sebastian Express

Post#692 » by The Sebastian Express » Sun Jan 8, 2017 7:21 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

Here is the full listing:

-- Not trading LMA before he left
-- Not trading Mathews before he left

You can complain about that wording, but it is certainly accurate. Portland choose not to trade Mathews before he entered unrestricted free agency, and in unrestricted free agency he left with no compensation. {List also should probably have included Lopez for the same}. I'm not sure how that isn't fair. It is a factual statement, and as you yourself highlight Mathews didn't have his injury yet when the trade deadline came and went.

If anyone is asking should the choices of Portland be debated -- which in that thread someone argued they should not -- that one qualifies as one worth debating. Portland had a choice to cash out on not just LMA, but also Mathews (and Lopez) and that was a huge decision, whether they made it right or wrong.

Spoiler:
If anyone is moving past is it fair to suggest that is worth debate and actually engaging in that debate, I think the question of should Portland have kept Mathews at the trade deadline entirely depends upon what they decided to do with LMA. If they were keeping LMA, you certainly don't trade Mathews (and Lopez?) and limp into the playoffs and LMA's unrestricted free agency. If you think LMA is leaving, you should trade him and then -- injury or no unexpected injury -- you probably should move on from Mathews as well. So, whether the Mathews decision was right or wrong imo depends upon whether the LMA decision was.

Edit: If you are just focusing on whether offering Mathews a big contract after his injury and after LMA left was a wise idea, I feel like that was trivially clearly not a good idea and agree. But the much bigger decision was what to do at the trade deadline, which is not an easy decision.

You know. I had a long response written up but instead I'll just echo Duster and add: If you want to win, congrats, you win. List it in your most negative way possible that doesn't reflect the truth. Kudos to you.
The Sebastian Express

Post#693 » by The Sebastian Express » Sun Jan 8, 2017 7:25 am

Additionally I've moved those posts here since my initial semi-topical rant has delved into derailment and this is the only thread that really fits it on the board.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#694 » by DusterBuster » Sun Jan 8, 2017 8:28 am

Jstock12 wrote:Domas or Arvydas? :D

I wish we could have had Domas. I don't think his ceiling is all that high, but I just would have loved to have another Sabonis in Portland.
The Sebastian Express

Post#695 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:41 pm

Man. This snow lately all throughout Portland and the valley has been great even if terrible for traffic/travel. I knew it was going to be a cold winter. and now I'm terrified it's going to be a extremely scorching summer.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#696 » by Shem » Wed Feb 1, 2017 2:49 am

April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#697 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:41 pm

If you like to garden and despair over declining pollinator populations, have no fear; first was robocop, next will be robo-bees:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/robo-bees-could-aid-insects-with-pollination-duties/
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#698 » by BlackMamba » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:13 am

ROLO!

Read on Twitter
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816