ImageImage

Predict Blazers 2013-2014 lineup and roster

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

RoyalWun
Lead Assistant
And1: 471

Re: Predict Blazers 2013-2014 lineup and roster 

Post#61 » by RoyalWun » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:19 pm

youngthegiant wrote:Would you guys do a Gallinari, Batum swap?

Absolutely not.
Dammit...:

I've got Nurkic fever now.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#62 » by Goldbum » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:33 pm

Would u consider a Nolan Smith for Carried swap?
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#63 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:04 pm

Goldbum wrote:

you must mean Otto Carried, the 2nd assistant janitor at the Nuggets practice facility

speaking as a Blazer fan...yes, I'd do that deal
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#64 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:54 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
Goldbum wrote:

you must mean Otto Carried, the 2nd assistant janitor at the Nuggets practice facility

speaking as a Blazer fan...yes, I'd do that deal

Plus his loose daughter. It's a great way to increase ticket sales, especially after the post all-star tank.
LillardsReign
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#65 » by LillardsReign » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:34 pm

Being realistic I see this...

Lillard / McCollum (Jason Terry role) / Price
Matthews / Barton
Batum / Claver
Aldridge / Landry / Freeland
Hickson / Leonard
My wife lies to me. My beer company betrays me. Americans are giving Mexicans diarrhea. What the hell is going on here?
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,846

Post#66 » by Norm2953 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:00 am

The 2013 draft is quite bad for Cody Zeller who is projected to be the first pick is
nowhere near the prospect that Anthony Davis was in 2012. There seems to be
a number of young bigs who will need time to develop but we already have such
a player in Leonard.

I would not be opposed to a deal involving our lottery pick that would bring back
a late first round pick and a solid veteran player with a decent contract. I'd
like to see us get a defensive minded guard with size who could handle the ball
well enough to run the team for we haven't had such a player since Greg
Anthony.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#67 » by GreenRiddler » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:26 am

Norm2953 wrote:The 2013 draft is quite bad for Cody Zeller who is projected to be the first pick is
a player in Leonard.

I would not be opposed to a deal involving our lottery pick that would bring back
Anthony.

I don't know, Alex Len looks good. So does Noel. Both would be better than current Leonard.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#68 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:49 pm

Norm2953 wrote:The 2013 draft is quite bad for Cody Zeller who is projected to be the first pick is
a player in Leonard.

Anthony.

for the umpteenth time...the earliest 1st round pick Portland can trade is their 2018 1st. Right now, Charlotte owns the 2013 Blazer 1st and the protection on that pick extends till 2016.

if you think the draft is going to be horrible then you should be pulling for Portland to have the 13th pick or later (it's top-12 protected) so as to allow the obligation to Charlotte to be finished. And then that they continue to stink next season

right now, the Blazers are in the midst of the softest part of this year's schedule. I think there is a good chance their record will be much worse then it is now, percentage-wise by season's end. I still think the odds are they will enter the lottery with somewhere around the 8-9 pick. Even if the draft is as bad as 2006, there were still players like Aldridge, Brandon Roy, Rudy Gay, Kyle Lowry, Rajon Rondo & Paul Millsap available. Maybe the Blazers will get lucky and jump into the top-3. Maybe they'll find a diamond later in the lottery. It's still the best chance the Blazers have to add some top-level talent cheaply.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,832

Post#69 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Well, no, we can trade our pick after the draft lottery if we're in the top 12.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#70 » by Downtown » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:45 pm

I agree that it looks like they will pick in the 8-11 range. One player I like at the moment is Anthony Bennett from UNLV. He is a combo forward that might be able to be a sixth man player to give Portland some much needed depth, and thus preserve their cap space for a key free agent.

If they can find a really good combo guard in the vein of an Iman Shumpert type that can also give them significant minutes off the bench for the backcourt, then going forward with those two positions covered, and a resigned Hickson could elevate them into the last playoff spot, and as mentioned, loosen them from the confines of owing their pick earlier rather than later, while still having some cap space going forward.

No grandslam but perhaps a triple.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#71 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:16 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:Well, no, we can trade our pick after the draft lottery if we're in the top 12.

no they couldn't

Charlotte would still own the rights to the 2014 pick so trading between the lottery and the draft would violate the rule against trading consecutive 1sts. At least it would according to the way I read the rule

However, they could draft a player, then trade him. I'm not sure if they could just trade his rights, or if they'd have to sign him first because of that rule
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,076

Post#72 » by sisibilio » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:24 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Interesting comparison Wiz. I would have thought Nene's numbers were a lot higher than that. Nene is a bit bigger, but JJ's numbers are nearly as good. I'll take JJ at $4 million before I consider Nene at $13 for another 3 years (after this season).

I assume extending Hickson would cost a lot more than 4 million a year.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
The Sebastian Express

Post#73 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:26 pm

I believe you are wrong. Teams can't trade future picks consecutively, but once it rolls over to that period after the lottery/the day of the draft it can be traded. At least that is my understanding, and how I have seen it done in the past. So we're certainly free to trade our pick once we know it is ours (1-12), the reason preventing us from trading it before the lottery is both a combination of future consecutive pick possibilities, and the fact that we don't technically own our pick until its slot is determined.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,076

Post#74 » by sisibilio » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:27 pm

Damian Lillard, Somebody
Tyreke Evans, Wesley Matthews, Will Barton
Nic Batum, Victor Claver
Lamarcus Aldridge, Joel Freeland, Somebody else part 1
Somebody else part 2 (Hickson?), Meyers Leonard
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#75 » by DusterBuster » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Lillard and Evans would be a terrible fit imo.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#76 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:47 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:I believe you are wrong. Teams can't trade future picks consecutively, but once it rolls over to that period after the lottery/the day of the draft it can be traded. At least that is my understanding, and how I have seen it done in the past. So we're certainly free to trade our pick once we know it is ours (1-12), the reason preventing us from trading it before the lottery is both a combination of future consecutive pick possibilities, and the fact that we don't technically own our pick until its slot is determined.

no...and I'm really quite sure you're wrong

from the CBA FAQ:

Teams are restricted from trading away future first round draft picks in consecutive years. This is known as the "Ted Stepien Rule." Stepien owned the Cavs from 1980-83, and made a series of bad trades (such as the 1982 trade mentioned above) that cost the Cavs several years' first round picks. As a result of Stepien's ineptitude, teams are now prevented from making trades which might leave them without a first round pick in consecutive future years.

The Stepien rule applies only to future first round picks. For example, if this is the 2011-12 season, then a team can trade its 2012 first round pick without regard to whether they had traded their 2011 pick, since their 2011 pick is no longer a future pick. But they can't trade away both their 2012 and 2013 picks, since both are future picks. Teams sometimes work around this rule by trading first round picks in alternate years.

When dealing with protected picks, the Stepien rule is interpreted to mean that teams can't trade a pick if there is any chance it will leave the team without a first round pick in consecutive future drafts.[/u] Suppose a team makes a trade in 2011-12 that conveys a first round pick sometime from 2012 to 2017. The pick is protected only if it is the first overall pick from 2012 to 2017, and if it is not conveyed by 2017, the other team gets cash instead. In other words, in order to avoid sending a pick from 2012 to 2016, the team would have to win the first overall pick in the draft lottery five seasons in a row. Even though the likelihood of this happening is essentially nil, the team is not allowed to trade its 2018 pick.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q84

if it is the period between the lottery and the draft it doesn't matter, it is still a future draft, and it would remain a future draft till the draft is complete. And the protection on the pick would mean that Charlotte still owns the rights to ALL Blazer picks from 2014-2016.

the CBA would prohibit Portland from trading the 2013 first because of the chance that the Blazers would not have a 1st in the 2013 and 2014 drafts. That violates the rule. That's pretty clear
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#77 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:48 pm

DusterBuster wrote:Lillard and Evans would be a terrible fit imo.

agree

it would be worse then Brandon Roy and Andre Miller. Probably significantly worse
The Sebastian Express

Post#78 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:I believe you are wrong. Teams can't trade future picks consecutively, but once it rolls over to that period after the lottery/the day of the draft it can be traded. At least that is my understanding, and how I have seen it done in the past. So we're certainly free to trade our pick once we know it is ours (1-12), the reason preventing us from trading it before the lottery is both a combination of future consecutive pick possibilities, and the fact that we don't technically own our pick until its slot is determined.

no...and I'm really quite sure you're wrong

from the CBA FAQ:

Teams are restricted from trading away future first round draft picks in consecutive years. This is known as the "Ted Stepien Rule." Stepien owned the Cavs from 1980-83, and made a series of bad trades (such as the 1982 trade mentioned above) that cost the Cavs several years' first round picks. As a result of Stepien's ineptitude, teams are now prevented from making trades which might leave them without a first round pick in consecutive future years.

The Stepien rule applies only to future first round picks. For example, if this is the 2011-12 season, then a team can trade its 2012 first round pick without regard to whether they had traded their 2011 pick, since their 2011 pick is no longer a future pick. But they can't trade away both their 2012 and 2013 picks, since both are future picks. Teams sometimes work around this rule by trading first round picks in alternate years.

When dealing with protected picks, the Stepien rule is interpreted to mean that teams can't trade a pick if there is any chance it will leave the team without a first round pick in consecutive future drafts.[/u] Suppose a team makes a trade in 2011-12 that conveys a first round pick sometime from 2012 to 2017. The pick is protected only if it is the first overall pick from 2012 to 2017, and if it is not conveyed by 2017, the other team gets cash instead. In other words, in order to avoid sending a pick from 2012 to 2016, the team would have to win the first overall pick in the draft lottery five seasons in a row. Even though the likelihood of this happening is essentially nil, the team is not allowed to trade its 2018 pick.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q84

if it is the period between the lottery and the draft it doesn't matter, it is still a future draft, and it would remain a future draft till the draft is complete. And the protection on the pick would mean that Charlotte still owns the rights to ALL Blazer picks from 2014-2016.

the CBA would prohibit Portland from trading the 2013 first because of the chance that the Blazers would not have a 1st in the 2013 and 2014 drafts. That violates the rule. That's pretty clear

Wiz, you're reading it wrong, I'm pretty sure.

The first part you underlined just the first part, essentially the name of the rule. But look at the rest of the paragraph:

For example, if this is the 2011-12 season, then a team can trade its 2012 first round pick without regard to whether they had traded their 2011 pick, since their 2011 pick is no longer a future pick

I'm pretty sure once the lottery happens, or on draft day, it is considered a 'present' pick, and not a future pick. The heavy emphasis is on future drafts, not currently happening drafts.

For instance, the Lakers did not have a 2008 first round draft pick and a 2010 first round draft pick (used in the Gasol trade), but sold their 2009 pick during the draft to the Knicks (Toney Douglas) because it was considered a present/current draft, and not a consecutive draft.

You'll notice that I was not sure if it was after the lottery happened, so I also put the day of the draft, which the Lakers example clearly notes is possible.
The Sebastian Express

Post#79 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:28 pm

I guess RealGm is going to lag me out from editing, but this line:

but sold their 2009 pick during the draft to the Knicks (Toney Douglas) because it was considered a present/current draft, and not a consecutive draft.
was supposed to read "and not a future/consecutive draft".
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#80 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:23 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:

Wiz, you're reading it wrong, I'm pretty sure.

The first part you underlined just the first part, essentially the name of the rule. But look at the rest of the paragraph:

For example, if this is the 2011-12 season, then a team can trade its 2012 first round pick without regard to whether they had traded their 2011 pick, since their 2011 pick is no longer a future pick

I'm pretty sure once the lottery happens, or on draft day, it is considered a 'present' pick, and not a future pick. The heavy emphasis is on future drafts, not currently happening drafts.

and I don't believe I'm reading it wrong. The example you quoted does not apply to the Blazer situation. The pick from the 2012 is not relevant. Except of course that it is no longer a future pick. exactly like your quoted section explains

what is relevant is that if Portland has retained their pick in the 2013 draft, then in that period of time between the lottery and the draft, Charlotte then owns Portland's 2014 pick.

and both picks, at that time, would be future picks. The 2013 will remain a future pick until the Blazers exercise their choice and make a selection

obviously, they can arrange for a trade that is timed according to the CBA and occurs once the pick is exercised and has morphed into the rights for a specific player. But they can't make a trade of that pick before the draft.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers