ImageImage

Predict Blazers 2013-2014 lineup and roster

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

call.me.dude
Rookie
And1: 12

Re: Predict Blazers 2013-2014 lineup and roster 

Post#81 » by call.me.dude » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:19 am

DusterBuster wrote:Lillard and Evans would be a terrible fit imo.

Too early to tell. Have you seen Lillard with someone like Evans? It doesn't seem perfect though, that's true.

That's why I'd love to bring him off the bench.

But they're not as bad a fit as you make it out to be. Lillard is a great spot up shooter so Tyreke could just drive and kick all day long or maybe post up. And Tyreke has actually improved a lot off the ball (not saying he's particularly good), it's not like he'll only stand around watching.

We desperately need that second playmaker and even more than that a guy who takes it to the rim and draws fouls. Also, Evans is still very young, having just turned 23. In a new environment, especially one that isn't nearly as toxic as Sacramento, and surrounded by shooters he is bound to succeed. Also, Stotts is supposed to be an offensive genius, so he should easily be able to exploit Evans' driving (which is absolutely ELITE) and incorporate it into the offense.
YiJiLi wrote:Raymond Felton is better than TP...
call.me.dude
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#82 » by call.me.dude » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:20 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:Lillard and Evans would be a terrible fit imo.

agree

it would be worse then Brandon Roy and Andre Miller. Probably significantly worse

a good offensive coach would have managed that situation a lot better.
YiJiLi wrote:Raymond Felton is better than TP...
Wickzki
Starter
And1: 291

Post#83 » by Wickzki » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:47 am

Let's have a semi-unrealistic look at this.

Starters

C: J.J. Hickson
PF: Kevin Love
SF: Nicolas Batum
SG: Ben McLemore
PG: Damian Lillard

First off the bench (positional)

PF/C: Marreese Speights
SF/SG: Dorell Wright
PG: Luke Ridnour

Rest of the Bench

C: Meyers Leonard
PF/C: Joel Freeland
F: Luke Babbitt
F: Victor Claver
G/F: Will Barton
SG: cheap pickup
PG: some prospect / young free agent
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#84 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:50 am

I'm not sure where else to say this.

Anyways, I wondering what people thought about developing Leonard as a high-post big. He seems to be a decent passer, I am watching the Nuggets game and he just sent two very nice passes, plus we know he can hit free throws so perhaps that jumper could be developed.

He's got the quickness and seems to be more comfortable in a face-up game than going down low into the low post, where I haven't seen him find much success. I wonder if maybe he could be like a poor mans Ibaka with a similar midrange shot? This would be good with Aldridge since it would get him where he is more effective
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#85 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:17 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:I'm not sure where else to say this.

Anyways, I wondering what people thought about developing Leonard as a high-post big. He seems to be a decent passer, I am watching the Nuggets game and he just sent two very nice passes, plus we know he can hit free throws so perhaps that jumper could be developed.

He's got the quickness and seems to be more comfortable in a face-up game than going down low into the low post, where I haven't seen him find much success. I wonder if maybe he could be like a poor mans Ibaka with a similar midrange shot? This would be good with Aldridge since it would get him where he is more effective

anything is possible

but before they work on his high post moves they need to make him understand defensive concepts, blocking out, and rebounding

Portland needs a good rebounder and defender to pair with Aldridge. Leonard is neither right now. I can't count the number of times I've seen him watch a player on the other team grab an offensive rebound when Leonard has been within 6' of the action. He's way too flat-footed and slow to react
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#86 » by Dame Lizard » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:48 am

Wizenheimer wrote:

anything is possible

but before they work on his high post moves they need to make him understand defensive concepts, blocking out, and rebounding

Portland needs a good rebounder and defender to pair with Aldridge. Leonard is neither right now. I can't count the number of times I've seen him watch a player on the other team grab an offensive rebound when Leonard has been within 6' of the action. He's way too flat-footed and slow to react

+1, cannot agree more.

Leonard's got all the tools (and then some) to be a beast on the boards, and that's the thing that I think he needs to develop first and foremost.
Wickzki
Starter
And1: 291

Post#87 » by Wickzki » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:47 pm

Agree with this assessment on Leonard. Kid has NBA potential. Much of his problem right now is that he is still growing into his body on top of him still learning what it takes on the NBA level. We never drafted him to be a standout this year. There have been enough flashes of potential to know that we have something here if he works hard enough which we haven't been given any reason whatsoever to doubt.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#88 » by Downtown » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:22 pm

I'll add my nod of agreement as well. But I don't think it's as much a physical thing as a mental awareness to reaction time. I also notice, like Wiz said, that Leonard will watch someone take a rebound from him simply because he doesn't read the play quick enough to take the better position before the other guy. He can be a watcher out there sometimes instead of a go getter. And that goes for guys making moves in the paint as well. He needs to work on harnessing energy to efficiency, but that will only come with time. If he had it already he would have been a higher pick in the draft.

He'll never be a Faried type but hopefully with time he will improve his instincts and reaction time. Physically and athletically he's very good for someone his size in my opinion.

If I can mention another name just for the sake of tacking onto the point being made of a playmaker type next to Lillard to give him some more open looks rather than having him have to create for himself, has anyone watched much of Lance Stephenson from Indiana? I watched him a couple of nights ago and he looked like a player that is soley focussed on playing defence and making good passes to teamates, and he barely tried at all to score, even when he could have taken a shot. He looked to have solid dribbling and passing skills.
a_sensei
Analyst
And1: 658

Post#89 » by a_sensei » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:32 pm

Dame Lizard wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

anything is possible

+1, cannot agree more.

Leonard's got all the tools (and then some) to be a beast on the boards, and that's the thing that I think he needs to develop first and foremost.

I agree about Leonard. Luckily there have been a number of players who have gone from below average rebounders to beasts on the board. Leonard's rebounding numbers are almost exactly the same as Larry Sander's rookie numbers and two years later he has become a rebounding machine.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,470

Post#90 » by Pattycakes » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:38 am

Wickzki wrote:Let's have a semi-unrealistic look at this.

Starters

C: J.J. Hickson
PF: Kevin Love
SF: Nicolas Batum
SG: Ben McLemore
PG: Damian Lillard

First off the bench (positional)

PF/C: Marreese Speights
SF/SG: Dorell Wright
PG: Luke Ridnour

Rest of the Bench

C: Meyers Leonard
PF/C: Joel Freeland
F: Luke Babbitt
F: Victor Claver
G/F: Will Barton
SG: cheap pickup
PG: some prospect / young free agent

In terms of team basketball, L.A.>>>>Love...I don't care what anyone says.
lackeyde3
Bench Warmer
And1: 4

Post#91 » by lackeyde3 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:53 am

Pattycakes wrote:In terms of team basketball, L.A.>>>>Love...I don't care what anyone says.

^^

THANK YOU!!!

i cant stand to watch love pad his stats every game. once he leaves minnesoda he will be exposed and shown hes really not a number 1 option for anyone, maybe not even a number 2
DusterBuster wrote:
lackeyde3 wrote:
hondaaccord wrote:Johnson sucks... no way that guy plays over Williams/Smith

your face sucks

Post of the year material here. Lol

Return to Portland Trail Blazers