ImageImage

Wing Targets?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Re: Wing Targets? 

Post#21 » by Norm2953 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:35 am

Its likely after the summer league ends, we'll still be looking for an upgrade over
Dorell Wright but unless someone really needs a third big, Will Barton is going to
be our guy.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,406

Post#22 » by Blazinaway » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:43 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Its likely after the summer league ends, we'll still be looking for an upgrade over
Dorell Wright but unless someone really needs a third big, Will Barton is going to
be our guy.

I would not mind a guy like Aminu, we have a lot of shooters on this team, he can play good D and rebound
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#23 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:34 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Its likely after the summer league ends, we'll still be looking for an upgrade over
be our guy.

I would not mind a guy like Aminu, we have a lot of shooters on this team, he can play good D and rebound

he's a free agent that might have been available for the BAE, but the Blazers used that on Blake. Hard to see any S&T the Pelicans would be interested in

after Kaman, I was hoping that Portland would go after somebody like Aminu and use a vet minimum on somebody like Blake.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#24 » by Norm2953 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:08 pm

Lots of competition for the veterans minimum players though with the teams trying
to build a big 3 type of team. Backup PG after yesterday's game is a bigger need
than a backup wing. My guess the team could find a roster spot if they cared to
for a buyout for Clever or a trade of Freeland is possible.
siar617
Analyst
And1: 457

Post#25 » by siar617 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:12 pm

Would W. Ellington and a trade exemption be enough for Wright
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#26 » by whatchaknow » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:04 am

Would Wes Johnson be an upgrade over Dorrell?? He's not a real great ball handler and he doesn't do much outside of spotting up and running the break on offense but he gives us more length than Barton and more athleticism than Wright at the 3.
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#27 » by deanwoof » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:07 am

Someone explain to me how the rumor of a S&T of Greg Monroe would have worked? We would have given them probably Nic Batum? Or something similar to his contract for Monroe I'd assume?

What I was thinking was how to get Eric Bledsoe in a S&T from Phoenix. Judging from the contracts handed out already, $8M a year? Could we, or would we, somehow offer McCollum, Leonard and Wright?

I'm not too savvy on how S&Ts work with this new CBA.

edit: haha guess bledsoe is looking for the max from the suns. no wonder he's still unsigned
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#28 » by Dame Lizard » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:00 am

I wish we made an effort to nab Archie Goodwin last year. I know he's raw and wouldn't solve our issues, but he is a very nice prospect who fills a gap for us (a slashing athletic wing).

I was desperately hoping we'd somehow get him.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using RealGM Forums mobile app
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Post#29 » by cucad8 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:57 pm

Dame Lizard wrote:I wish we made an effort to nab Archie Goodwin last year. I know he's raw and wouldn't solve our issues, but he is a very nice prospect who fills a gap for us (a slashing athletic wing).

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using RealGM Forums mobile app
isn't Barton a slashing athletic wing?
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#30 » by ebott » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:32 pm

cucad8 wrote:
Dame Lizard wrote:I wish we made an effort to nab Archie Goodwin last year. I know he's raw and wouldn't solve our issues, but he is a very nice prospect who fills a gap for us (a slashing athletic wing).

I've seen him be that from time to time, but I think the word is out on him not being that great of a shooter. At summer league teams just backed off of him and dared him to shoot and he was largely ineffective. I think it's likely the same thing happens to him in real NBA games.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Post#31 » by cucad8 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:18 pm

ebott wrote:
cucad8 wrote:

I've seen him be that from time to time, but I think the word is out on him not being that great of a shooter. At summer league teams just backed off of him and dared him to shoot and he was largely ineffective. I think it's likely the same thing happens to him in real NBA games.

Archie Goodwin isn't a good outside shooter either.
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#32 » by ebott » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:55 am

cucad8 wrote:
ebott wrote:
cucad8 wrote:isn't Barton a slashing athletic wing?

Archie Goodwin isn't a good outside shooter either.

Then he's probably not the answer. The real point is that neither CJ nor Barton is. But we probably won't get an answer. We'll just suffer through another year where we're praying that today is one of the handful of games that one of our backup wings is able to produce.

On the bright side we've got Kaman so the bench will have a real scoring threat to work the offense through and a guy in Blake to try to run an organized offense. That gives me a little bit of hope that maybe our bench won't be completely useless this season.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers