ImageImage

SL Game 4 Round 2 Por VS Atl

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

SL Game 4 Round 2 Por VS Atl 

Post#1 » by GreenRiddler » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:22 pm

Well again the game already started, end of the first half.

Barton has had some head scratches thrown at the rim, Freeland can't hit his jumpers. CJ isn't shooting well either. Meyers has had some nice screens and got gobbed on his rebounds by the scores keeper (offensive rebs-tipouts aren't rebounds in SL?). Crabbe has made some nice shots and played good D the whole half.

We are still in the game though.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Re: SL Game 4 Round 2 Por VS Atl 

Post#2 » by GreenRiddler » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:32 pm

Don't know if I trust SL stats any more, How was that not an ast?
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#3 » by GreenRiddler » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:34 pm

Barton's shot selection right now is a horror movie
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#4 » by GreenRiddler » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:36 pm

Sweet move by CJ
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#5 » by Downtown » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:45 pm

I don't know why but every time the Blazers are playing NBA TV is showing the other game on my TV. I'm watching the Jazz vs. Spurs.
DavidSterned
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,151

Post#6 » by DavidSterned » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:50 pm

Downtown wrote:I don't know why but every time the Blazers are playing NBA TV is showing the other game on my TV. I'm watching the Jazz vs. Spurs.

You're not missing much.

I guess CJ is having an okay game but no one is really standing out. Pretty bad as a whole.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#7 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:55 pm

Tavares looks like a steal for the Hawks..
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#8 » by Shem » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:55 pm

GreenRiddler wrote:Don't know if I trust SL stats any more, How was that not an ast?

Stat keepers at Summer League don't have a clear understanding of what a rebound or an assist is.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
jhern87
Starter
And1: 128

Post#9 » by jhern87 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:05 am

Had a feeling this would happen when I heard we were playing Atlanta again.. Last game when Portland was jacking up 3's and throwing lobs all I kept thinking was "man, I hope we don't have to play these guys again.." They were more motivated than ever to take it to us.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#10 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:06 am

Spank!
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,531

Post#11 » by zzaj » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:21 am

I'd trade any Blazer player not in the starting 5 for the 2014, 43rd pick, Tavares. He's going to be a good backup C.

It's tiresome I know but I'll say it again, Meyers is a lost cause. The Blazers are wasting their time with him.
At this stage, even with slight improvement Freeland doesn't have enough talent to be anything other than a 3rd/4th big.
While being fairly crafty with the ball, CJ looks like a chucker (I know, I know you told us so, Wizenheimer). He made some ok passes in today's game but also missed some wide open teammates.
Barton is a good rebounder for his size. Consistency, improving his shooting and focusing on defense are the things that will keep him from staying a 3rd option. I'm not holding my breath.
Brown is probably going to be the 3rd PG next season...kinda painful.
Ripcity4life
Analyst
And1: 218

Post#12 » by Ripcity4life » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:08 am

It's SUMMER LEAGUE

next

but I agree Myers just does not seem to get it
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#13 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:26 am

zzaj wrote:It's tiresome I know but I'll say it again, Meyers is a lost cause. The Blazers are wasting their time with him.

yeah....he sure looks useless, and barring a boatload of injuries, he won't be getting much playing time next season

the big test will be if Olshey has the fortitude to admit the mistake of wasting a draft pick on Meyers by NOT picking up the 4th year option. I'm actually hoping he doesn't pick up the options for either Meyers or TRob, but that would be a big pivot by Olshey

At this stage, even with slight improvement Freeland doesn't have enough talent to be anything other than a 3rd/4th big.

I'll give Freeland credit for working hard on his NBA game by staying in Portland 2 straight summers. Unfortunately, all the work in the world isn't going to fill in for ability that isn't there

While being fairly crafty with the ball, CJ looks like a chucker (I know, I know you told us so, Wizenheimer). He made some ok passes in today's game but also missed some wide open teammates.
Barton is a good rebounder for his size. Consistency, improving his shooting and focusing on defense are the things that will keep him from staying a 3rd option. I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not sure I said CJ was a chucker. Maybe. He did have a 29% usage rate his last 3 years in college and that's pretty high. The main thing I've said is he's not a PG or any reasonable facsimile of one, and being essentially the same size as Lillard, he's too undersized as a SG in my view

as for Barton, I was hoping for a lot better shot selection from him and better efficiency as both a shooter and in running an offense

and, I think it's pretty telling that the 'reporting' is the Blazers are hoping they can get away with running them as some sort of hybrid guards. You know...that Portland doesn't need PG's anymore since Lillard is on board. That seems pretty loopy to me. The chances of failure with a hybrid guard are pretty damn high even when the guard is quite talented.

frankly, neither player is worthy of being a consistent rotation player for a playoff team right now. Maybe by the start of the regular season, one will be but I sincerely doubt it

Brown is probably going to be the 3rd PG next season...kinda painful.

Rodney Stuckey was just signed for a 1 year vet minimum. Portland should have made a play for him
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,846

Post#14 » by Norm2953 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:05 am

It will be indeed interesting if Olshey opts to not pick up the team options on
T-Rob, Meyers, CJ, Clever, Barton, Crabbe and opts to pay off Kaman. Next
summer is the summer before Lebron, Durant and others think will see a
bump in salaries due to increased salary cap. I hope Olshey takes his time
if we had waited to sign Kaman, useful players like Ed Davis, Stuckey might
have been gotten with just our MLE money. Additional roster spots are
readily obtainable with buying out Clever.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#15 » by Village Idiot » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:24 am

Norm2953 wrote: Additional roster spots are
Much rather just cut Crabbe. He looks bad in summer league. He has nothing to contribute in the NBA and is a fringe contributor on a decent European team at best. Claver at least knows what he's doing out there.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#16 » by GreenRiddler » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:24 am

Man this is why I want CJ to be the backup SG, he won't over dribble like Mo did, unlike Barton. At least Mo could hit his threes though, I think Barton is under 10% on his threes.

CJ also plays just as good on D, and is more of a scorer, which is what we need from our backup 2. The only thing is rebounding, but we are already strong there with LMA Batum Lopez and Kaman.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#17 » by GreenRiddler » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:45 am

I have seen all I needed to from these guys, pack it up and give Appling and Berry thier shot tmrw. I would be surprised for the main guys to play tmrw. Not Meyers though, and Crabbe could use Starter mins.

What a way to go out...
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,846

Post#18 » by Norm2953 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:59 am

Village Idiot wrote:
Norm2953 wrote: Additional roster spots are
Much rather just cut Crabbe. He looks bad in summer league. He has nothing to contribute in the NBA and is a fringe contributor on a decent European team at best. Claver at least knows what he's doing out there.

In coach Stotts system, if you can't shoot, you don't play. Clever can't shoot but knows how to play
and might be useful on a defensive minded team like the Bulls. Portland could cut both Crabbe and
Clever if there was a need for a roster spot.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#19 » by Dame Lizard » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:56 am

I completely understand the payouts on Meyers, because whilst he's a likable guy with an inspiring story, he's just not a talented basketball player (despite having some fantastic talents on paper).

T-Rob is also a likable guy with an inspiring story, but he definitely has a good future in the NBA. He's a jump shot away from being a really nice and unique PF. His athleticism, energy, ball handling and knack for a pass really is unique. I'm a believer in him as a player.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using RealGM Forums mobile app
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#20 » by Dame Lizard » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:16 am

Also, is tomorrow's consolation game going to be televised online? From what I see, I don't think it is.

Off topic, but Ed Davis for 2 years and $2 million is the bargain of the century for a role player, how I wish Portland could have got him for even double that!

Return to Portland Trail Blazers