ImageImage

Ducks and Beavers gamethread

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Ducks and Beavers gamethread 

Post#1 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:20 pm

The 2014 college football season is upon us. Let's root on both teams until the Civil War
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Re: Ducks and Beavers gamethread 

Post#2 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:41 pm

Beavers down 14-13 at the half. Stupid mistakes and penalties( 10 ) are hurting the Beavers
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#3 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:58 am

Beavers pull out the win though unimpressively. Mannion was frustrating to watch
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#4 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:43 am

90 seconds into the game Ducks score their first TD of the season
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#5 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:25 am

41-13 at the half. Ducks look impressive
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#6 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:20 am

didn't see the OSU game

watched the Ducks. While their offense looks like a top-3 team, that's not the case with the defense or the special teams.

I suppose that's what those 1st tune-up games are for...fix problems. The Ducks need to fix them fast or Mich St will roll over them
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Post#7 » by JasonStern » Tue Sep 2, 2014 7:35 pm

Brandon-Clyde wrote:41-13 at the half. Ducks look impressive

on offense. there defense is fairly concerning, especially at the linebacker position. here's hoping Michigan State doesn't run it up the middle for 3 yards over and over and over and over...
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#8 » by Billy » Wed Sep 3, 2014 3:01 pm

I would normally be willing to concede opening day jitters and rust when it comes to the Duck's defense. But considering this is year 2 of some serious concerns there--I'm not sure I would be able to say that honestly. After quite a few years in which it felt like our LB's were the strength, while the DL was the weakness, it now feels like it's flip-flopped. I think Armstead, Balducci, and Buckner are fantastic. Their backups are also very good.

Unfortunately, it seems as if our linebackers--while having talent--still don't grasp a lot of the nuances of the position. Derrick Malone may be the most talented of our starters, but he had maybe one of the most egregious of the mistakes by overrunning in pursuit and nearly having his ankles broken by Sanders for SD.

MSU's QB sounds like the type that can pick a team apart--particularly in the middle of the field--with a lethal dose of WCO passing. Combine some solid running and Oregon is going to have to up their defensive game about about 100--otherwise it's going to be all on the offense to be flawless.

Offensively, I'd say this has the potential to be one of the most lethal offense's we've seen. Those 3 backs are super dangerous--especially with Freeman finally giving them a bruiser type. While it was "just" South Dakota, that play action was so dangerous that I think we were able to see more long strike attempts in the first quarter than we saw for 4-5 games stretches last year.
jhern87
Starter
And1: 128

Post#9 » by jhern87 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 5:30 pm

Oregon's linebackers and safeties didn't look very good at all in the first half but they showed improvement coming out of the half. It'll be interesting to see how long before we start seeing some of these young linebackers (with a little more size) get a shot out there.. Guys like Mattingly (who I believe tweaked a hammy on a kickoff coverage), Ragin, and Swain.

Needless to say, we're going to need a MUCH better showing from our D if we're going to win Saturday. Recently, we're 2-5 against top 20 defenses.

I loved seeing Marshall in the slot / TAZR. I think our receivers are quite underrated as-well. Carrington, Stanford, Allen (both) and the freshman Nelson, all show flashes of being able to make plays.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#10 » by JasonStern » Wed Sep 3, 2014 11:16 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CFBMatrix/status/507216995616444416[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CFBMatrix/status/507216232840302592[/tweet]
- Chauncey Billups
jhern87
Starter
And1: 128

Post#11 » by jhern87 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 1:56 am

I think comparing MSU to Stanford is probably the best comparison, due to their similar playing styles.
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#12 » by Billy » Thu Sep 4, 2014 9:56 pm

jhern87 wrote:I think comparing MSU to Stanford is probably the best comparison, due to their similar playing styles.

Agreed. I certainly haven't seen a ton of MSU games, but from what I've read it seems that the following is accurate:

- They have a QB that runs a west coast style offense very efficiently. It sounds like he may not be the brute that Hogan is, but makes up for it with a little bit of elusiveness.

- Schematically their defense is designed to force opponents to stretch to the edges. That may not be quite Stanford-esque, but in terms of what we see when we play them, they are more than happy to let Oregon run to the edges--they just don't let them get there. They won't concede the center of the field.

- Offensively they are built to be efficient, but grinding. They are perfectly content with grinding out a 9 minute drive--but are more than happy to hit a long strike if the opportunity shows itself.

- They put field position at a premium. This is what we've seen a lot of the teams that are able to handle Oregon. They are able to hang in through the first couple series (and thus not feeling desperate enough to go for it on 4th and 5 at the Oregon 45), and then just grind down the field position. I believe I read the other day that 100% (yes, 100%) of MSU's punts that were downed within the 20 yard line last year resulted in a punt or turnover by the opposing team. No points scored. That is straight up insanity. Basically a punt downed within the 20 is a turnover for the other team.

It does sound like their o-line is a bit of a question mark even though they have some vets there.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#13 » by JasonStern » Fri Sep 5, 2014 7:33 pm

jhern87 wrote:I think comparing MSU to Stanford is probably the best comparison, due to their similar playing styles.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/michigan-state-oregon-pat-narduzzi-defense-breakdown/

Scott Frost wrote:I think the only similarity [between Michigan State's defense and Stanford's] is that they're both physical teams.

I'll also note that it took Stanford two years of recruiting faster players to stop Oregon. I'm not sure Michigan State has done so. but then I'm still horribly pessimistic about Oregon's linebackers.
- Chauncey Billups
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#14 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Sep 6, 2014 11:38 pm

Ducks playing well both offensively and defensively. Lead 18-7
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#15 » by PDXKnight » Sun Sep 7, 2014 12:11 am

Brandon-Clyde wrote:Ducks playing well both offensively and defensively. Lead 18-7

Michigan state has owned us since, down by 6 at the half. Pellum is really starting to seem like a questionable hire, I think oregon couldve done better
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#16 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Sep 7, 2014 12:11 am

I jinxed us :( 24-18 MSU halftime lead
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#17 » by PDXKnight » Sun Sep 7, 2014 1:44 am

Brandon-Clyde wrote:I jinxed us :( 24-18 MSU halftime lead

Much better now an I take bak what I said about pellum for now
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#18 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Sep 7, 2014 2:41 am

Oden2 wrote:

I refused to post a score again until the game was over. Didn't want to jinx it
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#19 » by PDXKnight » Sun Sep 7, 2014 3:29 am

Brandon-Clyde wrote:
Oden2 wrote:

I refused to post a score again until the game was over. Didn't want to jinx it

:lol:
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#20 » by Norm2953 » Sun Sep 7, 2014 6:16 pm

Oregon has a favorable schedule no real tough road games other than perhaps an
underachieving UCLA team and no USC on the schedule. Better make hay while
they can for Mariota is likely gone after this season.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers