ImageImage

Did you think Lilard would be this good?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Watchlist
Banned User
And1: 88

Did you think Lilard would be this good? 

Post#1 » by Watchlist » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:29 am

During the draft the knicks wanted him, but we had the 7th pick
even during his workouts he looked fantasic
Can't believe we got him for nothing aka Gwallace

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmYcZR_J1Y0[/youtube]
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Re: Did you think Lilard would be this good? 

Post#2 » by Shem » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:51 pm

Lillard has two "L's" and we had the 6th pick, not the 7th. ;)

But to answer the question, yes. I was the first person to be outspoken about drafting Lillard here and I received a lot of heat for liking him.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#3 » by Brandon-Clyde » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:13 pm

I'll be honest and say no I did not think he would be as good as he has been(and he looks like he will get even better still)
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
DavidSterned
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,151

Post#4 » by DavidSterned » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:36 am

Nope, had no clue. My fear was that he would be another in a long line of PG draft busts, so I was completely hesitant about him until his summer league performance went a long way in convincing me otherwise.
Zers4Eva
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#5 » by Zers4Eva » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:55 pm

I was firmly against drafting Lillard. I just didn't have any faith in the Blazers drafting for the point guard spot at the time with the collosal failures of Nolan Smith and Bayless. Andre Drummond was my guy.

Damian has been incredible though. Too bad we couldn't have traded up from the 11 and grabbed Drummond too.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#6 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Nope. Still thought he was the best PG in that draft, but I was concerned that he had no tangible elite skills. He still doesn't really. What he does have that is elite is something intangible, which is almost impossible to predict how it will translate to the NBA.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#7 » by PDX MM » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:14 pm

Nope I was on the Drummond bandwagon however if I am going to be wrong I prefer it being like this.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#8 » by d-train » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:03 am

I notice that ESPN ranked Lillard #211 going into his rookie year. To put that into perspective, there are only 150 starters and only half of that 150 are measurably better than the rest of the top 250 players.

ESPN was just incompetent for ranking him 211 but I doubt anyone with a credible process of analysis would have ranked him in the top 100 NBA players prior to his rookie year. So, everyone should be surprised by how good Lillard is (including Olshey) unless you want a pat on the back for dumb luck being your brilliant method of analysis. Lucky for Blazers fans we had the #6 pick in 2012 instead of the #2 pick.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#9 » by Case2012 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:29 am

I was much more in favor of Marshall earlier in the draft process, because I fall in love with pure PG's. However, after I saw that video I became infatuated with Lillard.

I thought for sure we'd draft Drummond, who I didn't like, or Barnes and mess everything up again. I was ecstatic when we chose Lillard. I had no idea he'd be this good though. My worst fear is that he's reached his ceiling already.

I'm still of the opinion that Marshall would've been good on this team, with the amount of shooters we have and his ability to run pick and rolls. Marshall and Aldridge would be a great duo IMO and I still would take him over Blake as a back up, that's for sure. I know his defense sucks, but it can't be THAT much worse that Mo's.

That court vision doe.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fucUOlrD4vM[/youtube]
Instagram: @casetwelve
BlazersRizing
Assistant Coach
And1: 159

Post#10 » by BlazersRizing » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:09 am

so you think Lillard has reached his ceiling and want scrub ass Kendall Marshall? :lol:
abuzz
Senior
And1: 82

Post#11 » by abuzz » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:11 pm

Let's not get too beside ourselves, just remembering our recent draft past, is enough to cause a biological spill.

Brandon Roy, career wise was a Flash in the pan, and the horror of Greg Oden' does not seem to want to go away, nor will it ever.
oldfishermen
Junior
And1: 73

Post#12 » by oldfishermen » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:59 pm

I did not have a clue Lillard would be this good. I would have drafted Drummond #6 and probably Marshall #11.

I had both Lillard and Marshall projecting out as serviceable backup PGs. I did not believe either rookie player could step in and make a positive impact as the starting PG from day 1. I believed Olshey took one heck of a big gamble on Lillard being the starter.

My plan for starting PG was to go after and sign UFA Goran Dragic. Goran had proven NBA PG skills, with room to grow. Goran was a much safer starting PG option than either Lillard or Marshall. IF, we could have signed him?

I am happy to eat another large plate of crow. Although both Drummond and Dragic would look good wearing a Blazer’s uniform.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#13 » by Case2012 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:26 pm

BlazersRizing wrote:so you think Lillard has reached his ceiling and want scrub ass Kendall Marshall? :lol:

So you can't read and like to troll? :roll:
Instagram: @casetwelve
Joshumitsu
Senior
And1: 56

Post#14 » by Joshumitsu » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:07 pm

Not until I saw the workout video and heard the Blazers brass say his workout was the best since Durant's did I come around.

Before the video, I thought he'd be Devin Harris (prime). After, I feel Tony Parker-Chauncey Billups caliber.

While he's clutch, I still don't think he's as clutch as I expect/want him to be. And he has yet to reach the Billups/Parker level. So, more good stuff to come, I guess.
d-train
RealGM

Post#15 » by d-train » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:30 pm

abuzz wrote:Let's not get too beside ourselves, just remembering our recent draft past, is enough to cause a biological spill.

Brandon Roy, career wise was a Flash in the pan...

Brandon Roy was the real deal. He was no flash in the pan. If we could have Roy pre career-ending-injury in place of Lillard, the Blazers would be championship contenders. If we could have Roy, LA, and Lillard, you could start planning a parade right now.

Roy's career was short because of injury not because of inability to perform. It's an insult to mention Roy with Oden. The only thing Oden ever did was take a bow for being Greg Oden. Give a man who worked his ass off his proper due even if his career was cut short by injury. You can say Greg Oden is 7’ tall and uber-talented but he’s no world-class competitor. Oden probably wasn’t a competitor on his Jr High team. He was just big.
d-train
RealGM

Post#16 » by d-train » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:30 pm

Joshumitsu wrote:Not until I saw the workout video and heard the Blazers brass say his workout was the best since Durant's did I come around.

His workout looks no different than 100's of other workouts of players that make every warmup shot.
Watchlist
Banned User
And1: 88

Post#17 » by Watchlist » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:13 pm

anyone got the workout vid?
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#18 » by GreenRiddler » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:10 pm

From what I remember I was not sold on him at all and thought he was just another combo guard Bayless, until I watched his videos at Weber and he worked out for the Kings/Blazers/Warrors. I even remember making a post in the summer of 2012 about why I think he will be as good as Irving in his rookie year and beyond.
James72
Sixth Man
And1: 474

Post#19 » by James72 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:14 am

I actually did. I belonged to another blazer forum (a horrible forum tbh), and was very outspoken about him. Most wanted Marshall or Rivers (puke). I was one of two guys who advocated very strongly for him.

While i am chiming in on my scouting skills, i might want to balance it out on my whiff....

I was so PISSED when we didn't draft adam morrison...
jeffhardyfan52
General Manager
And1: 596

Post#20 » by jeffhardyfan52 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:23 am

I was very anti dame.
Ill admit I was part of the few who booed the draft pick at the draft party.
I was full on Drummond, which I still think we could of found away to get both instead of Myers.
I'm very happy to be wrong about Dame

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
He’s not (my-vydas), he’s not (your-vydas), he’s Arvydas

Return to Portland Trail Blazers