ImageImage

Leonard Dominating Offseason Workouts?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Leonard Dominating Offseason Workouts? 

Post#41 » by d-train » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:17 pm

Leonard does not overwhelm me, but I do like Freeland. Freeland looks to be everything you want in a backup big man. Leonard might be fine but he is a 4th string center here on a team that is capable of playing with no center.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#42 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:20 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote: Heck, they found a way to play Barton, CJ and McCollum. If they wanted to, they could have found a way to play Leonard.

not only could they have found a way to play Leonard, they could have also got Meyers in the game

:naaa:
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#43 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:36 pm

Brandon-Clyde wrote:I believe Meyers could play limited minutes at PF. The goal would be to punish teams for going small by going big. Of course for that to work Meyers must develop a couple of low post moves

Meyers isn't going to punish anyone for going small. He would play right into their hands. They would be happy defending him on the perimeter and happy blowing by him on the other end of the court.

The goal of putting Meyers at the PF would be against a team with 2 big clods that we want to get out of the middle of the court while still being a big body on defense.
MarioSoto
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#44 » by MarioSoto » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:51 pm

Leonard sat out against the Clippers with a thoracic strain in his neck. I'd like to see him win the backup PF spot over T-Rob/Freeland. Leonard's upside is far greater than the others.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#45 » by PDX MM » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:15 pm

Such differing opinions here I don't ever want to see him on the court in a blazer uni but I am a hater so I am biased.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#46 » by GreenRiddler » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:12 am

Well he has had 2 good games in a row for a reserve.In the preseason he shot 6-15 from three. :o 40%!?!?
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#47 » by Dame Lizard » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:13 am

I've been happy with how Meyers has played. He still gets lost on defense but if he can keep shooting 3's well (and improve going forward, as it's a fairly new addition to his game), then he'll be a good player to have.

The play I was by far most impressed with was his pump fake, dribble, then mid-range jumper shots he knocked down. Meyers lack of ball handling ability (and his height makes it awkward) was really as much, if not more of a reason than his strength, as to why he wasn't having success inside.

We've all seen he's got a nice touch around the rim, so being able to put the ball on the deck will be very beneficial. It also could assist in keeping the defense honest, as right now you know he's either going shoot it or pass it, there's basically no chance he'd put the ball on the deck and attack the rim.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#48 » by Dame Lizard » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:14 am

I look forward to the games this season where we just obliterate teams with 3 point shooting.

There were a few games last season where we were shooting like 18/24 from 3PT range and the other team just had nothing to counter!

They are the best games to watch....... as a blazer fan!
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#49 » by Downtown » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:44 pm

Meyers Leonard the offensive player hasn't looked to shabby. But Meyers Leonard the 7 foot defender has been terrible, as usual. Even Chris Kaman, who's a fair bit older and isn't known as a top defensive player, has looked like he at least challenges players, something Leonard is quite passive about.

There was one play the other night when Jared Cunningham( who by the way has played very well this preseason) drove from the elbow and into the lane for a layup and Leonard was waiting for him yet didn't even leave his feet when it was obvious Cunningham was taking it to the rim himself. In my books it summed up Leonard's whole defensive demeanour. Let guys drive, and other than swing the odd arm around for a foul let him have his way.

Even Robert Sacre, the towel waiving, end of the bench, last man taken in the draft centre puts his body on people to get physical in his 3 minutes per game. At least do that.
oldfishermen
Junior
And1: 73

Post#50 » by oldfishermen » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:56 pm

Leonard did have a decent game against the Clippers, a much better D showing than against the Lakers.

HOWEVER.

I do not like Leonard floating around the 3pt line. On O, he is playing like a SF, not a stretch PF/C. We need his height near the basket for offensive rebounds.

Is Leonard’s game the reason Batum is not making as much of an impact on O as prior seasons? Is Leonard taking 3pt shots away from Batum? It looks it to me.

Also, there were several times a Blazer other than Leonard shot a three, and missed. All of the players near enough to the basket to go after the rebounds were Clippers.

If Stott’s game plan is to have Leonard floating that far from the basket on O, maybe the answer is to have Batum crash the boards for rebounds and second chance points. Batum is very good at crashing the boards.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers