ImageImage

Durant out 6-8 weeks

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Durant out 6-8 weeks 

Post#1 » by TBpup » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:44 pm

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/10/12/6964813/kevin-durant-injury-jones-fracture-foot-thunder

I expect the Thunder to be better than the Blazers but it gives Portland a chance to jump out on them in the standings early on.
@TBpup22
Ripcity4life
Analyst
And1: 218

Re: Durant out 6-8 weeks 

Post#2 » by Ripcity4life » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:55 pm

6 to 8 weeks could be longer -- foot injuries are tricky and cannot be rushed.

I like Durant as a player cause he is humble and for the most part let's his play do his talking. Now I am happy this should help the Blazers in terms of the standings but even that's not a given. The Blazers just need to worry about themselves and not care what anyone else is doing -- they just need to win and the rest takes care of itself.
rasta_marley
Starter
And1: 509

Post#3 » by rasta_marley » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:23 pm

Ripcity4life wrote:The Blazers just need to worry about themselves and not care what anyone else is doing -- they just need to win and the rest takes care of itself.

I could not agree more! We need to just focus on playing together well as a team and playing that defense! OKC is still a tough team to beat as long as they have ibaka and westbrook on the floor.
Heej wrote:And tbh I'm not entirely convinced MJ wasn't just the 90s version of KD.

:lol:
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#4 » by JasonStern » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:17 pm

the Blazers only play the Thunder once during that stretch in the season opener. plus I'm not convinced that OKC losing games early on really helps Portland, as they're likely still a lock for the playoffs, so the losses they may take on early are just potential wins for the teams that Portland will be competing against for a playoff spot.

regardless, it's still sad to see players injured.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,526

Post#5 » by zzaj » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:35 pm

Is this his first somewhat major injury? I have to admit that given his frame I thought he would be A LOT less durable coming into the NBA.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#6 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:47 pm

I think this is same injury suffered by McCollum in his senior year and at the beginning of last year. I don't think McCollum received surgery for it (remember some ultrasonic procedure) so I don't know if Durant's is worse or if they are just treating it more intensely. I remember reading that this injury occurs in a part of the foot with little blood flow and thus can be problematic fully healing and pose a risk of happening again.

In any case, if I were the Thunder I would be careful bringing him back.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#7 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:18 pm

People don't know how much the thunder relie on KD, he is always at the top of mins played (38mins) While Westbrook is leveled off at 34mins.

I think we are going to see alot of Westbrook taking shots(avg'd 22attempts per game last time Durant got injured)

Add to the fact the thunder didn't improve thier wings scoring, they really have no one who can even come in a hold the fort given Durant gives them on average 30ppg, while last year they managed without RW because of Reggie Jackson.

I think the thunder are gonna lose home-court now.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#8 » by PDXKnight » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:07 pm

I'm interested in seeing how important durant is to that team's success. My gut tells me Westbrook will be able to be a number 1 and hold okc near .500 but if Russell goes down (and he has a recent injury history) and leaves okc without a go to player things could get bad for okc fast this season. Okc only has to face 5 weeks of real action without durant but they'd better hope their team can hold the fort without kd or else it puts a lot of pressure on kd coming back and rushing him back is risking an injury at some point in the future.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#9 » by Shem » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:05 pm

April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#10 » by Village Idiot » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:39 pm

Oden2 wrote:I'm interested in seeing how important durant is to that team's success. My gut tells me Westbrook will be able to be a number 1 and hold okc near .500 but if Russell goes down (and he has a recent injury history) and leaves okc without a go to player things could get bad for okc fast this season. Okc only has to face 5 weeks of real action without durant but they'd better hope their team can hold the fort without kd or else it puts a lot of pressure on kd coming back and rushing him back is risking an injury at some point in the future.
I can actually see them struggling mightily, especially on the offensive end where Durant prevents teams from collapsing the paint. Westbrook is a poor outside shooter but their starting wings appear to be two of Andre Roberson (yeah, like the f is that?), PJ3 and Antony Morrow. None of those guys are starting caliber talent on any other team but the Sixers. Certainly not contender caliber talent for starting wings. Ibaka is a good shooter now but how many open looks is he going to get?

They will struggle to remain above .500 imho until Durant gets back. If he remains out for an extended period of time they could have an uphill battle to even make the playoffs in the West. Sounds absurd, I know, but the West is just brutal this season. We'd certainly have the same issue if we lost LMA now until January.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#11 » by PDXKnight » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:40 am

Village Idiot wrote:
Oden2 wrote:I'm interested in seeing how important durant is to that team's success. My gut tells me Westbrook will be able to be a number 1 and hold okc near .500 but if Russell goes down (and he has a recent injury history) and leaves okc without a go to player things could get bad for okc fast this season. Okc only has to face 5 weeks of real action without durant but they'd better hope their team can hold the fort without kd or else it puts a lot of pressure on kd coming back and rushing him back is risking an injury at some point in the future.
I can actually see them struggling mightily, especially on the offensive end where Durant prevents teams from collapsing the paint. Westbrook is a poor outside shooter but their starting wings appear to be two of Andre Roberson (yeah, like the f is that?), PJ3 and Antony Morrow. None of those guys are starting caliber talent on any other team but the Sixers. Certainly not contender caliber talent for starting wings. Ibaka is a good shooter now but how many open looks is he going to get?

They will struggle to remain above .500 imho until Durant gets back. If he remains out for an extended period of time they could have an uphill battle to even make the playoffs in the West. Sounds absurd, I know, but the West is just brutal this season. We'd certainly have the same issue if we lost LMA now until January.

The west may be brutal but unless the thunder start ridiculously terribly any team with Durant for 3/4 of the season will more than likely make the playoffs. I could see OKC falling to a lower seed but even with the Durant injury I can't see OKC missing the playoffs barring a ridiculously atrocious start. KD is important but even without him there are 8 very winnable games in their first 17 and ultimately I think OKC will inevitably pull off a playoff spot.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#12 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:00 pm

With Westbrook and a bunch of other players missing, the Thunder could fail to take advantage of a favorable early schedule. Blazers should be extra focused on winning our division and getting home-court advantage to try and push even further into the playoffs....
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,832

Post#13 » by The Sebastian Express » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:52 pm

I mean.. if they both don't come back until mid-December, there's a real possibility that OKC might miss the playoffs with how tough the west is.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#14 » by PDXKnight » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:06 pm

Damn okc could damn near miss the playoffs if they go like 3-14 without durant and Westbrook. That team doesn't have much talent outside of this two and this two players make the rest of those guys look better. I bet okc is regretting letting harden go instead of ibaka right about now.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#15 » by Case2012 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:51 pm

Last good move OKC made was drafting Harden. Every move they've made since has been awful and Durant and Westbrook will both leave as soon as their deals are up. Trading Green for Perkins, trading Harden for an ok prospect in Lamb and the pick that became Adams as well as Kmart, who they let walk for some reason... Not going after good free agents, or trading young players and picks for veterans... Their front office are a bunch of morons, which i find amusing since Presti seemed like such a genius in the draft for a few years. A lot of it has to do with their owner being super cheap I guess too.

Anyways, here's to winning the division! :lol:
Instagram: @casetwelve
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#16 » by GreenRiddler » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:14 pm

Yeah they probably regret not trading Lamb and Perk for Afflalo, who the magic gave up for Evan Forunier I believe.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers