And1: 1,845

Player Options 

Post#1 » by Norm2953 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:05 pm

Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Re: Player Options 

Post#2 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:32 pm

I agree with Freeman that Portland will pick up CJ's option. That's pretty apparent

He may even be right about what happens with Leonard and TRob.

Personally, I don't agree with him that Leonard is an "athletic freak". He's weak physically and can't hold ground, even against many players that are smaller then he is. Against good NBA big men...he has little chance. That's not a good sign of athleticism. Also, his reaction time to this point has been horrible. There is an significant element of athleticism in reaction time.

I would hope that neither option for the two bigs is picked up, but I would not be surprised a bit if both are
B0naf1d3
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#3 » by B0naf1d3 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:51 pm

I'm hoping we decline options on both T-Rob, and Meyers. T-Rob simply makes too much money for his wildly inconsistent head scratching play. Meyers is well Meyers. I think near the deadline, Barton/T-Rob/Meyers could generate enough buzz to get another vet or two that we could count on in the playoffs. There's always a few struggling teams each year near the deadline looking to trade their vets for a chance to take a look at young prospects.
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#4 » by ebott » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:22 am

I don't want them to pick up any of their options. I want the Blazers to do everything they can to free up cap space so they can sign Marc Gasol this off-season.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#5 » by Norm2953 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:36 am

Meyers did get a decent run in tonight's game and if we pick up his option, will be
a stretch 5. Let's hope the light comes on for Meyers but he's got to stay healthy
or else he will be gone for his salary jumps to $4.2 Million. Not a good sign that T-Rob
only got 5 minutes tonight.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#6 » by d-train » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:49 pm

The analysis has to start with determining the optimum position for the Blazers going into free agency next summer. The only players under contract are Batum and Lillard. Additionally, Blazers have options on Kaman, CJ, and Barton that I expect will be executed and Blake has a player option I expect he will decline. Barton doesn't need to be executed until Jul 31. Blazers could have $38M in cap room to begin free agency. Enough cap room to sign 2 max free agents gives the Blazers an opportunity to improve their core talent, which will improve our bargaining position with all free agents.

If the Blazers pickup the options of T-Rob or Leonard, that would kill the cap room for a 2nd max player. So, there is more at stake than a simple assessment of the individual value of T-Rob and Leonard.

I doubt the Blazers will pickup the option on either player because the cap room will be more valuable than the players.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#7 » by PDXKnight » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:24 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Meyers did get a decent run in tonight's game and if we pick up his option, will be
a stretch 5. Let's hope the light comes on for Meyers but he's got to stay healthy
or else he will be gone for his salary jumps to $4.2 Million. Not a good sign that T-Rob
only got 5 minutes tonight.

That would be his qualifying offer, he could make even more beyond that if he shows anything. Teams love to make ridiculous offers to young big men who show any glimor of hope especially stretch bigs lately.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#8 » by PDXKnight » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:26 pm

I think Olshey picks up Meyers and CJ after their pre season showings. He hit the nail on the head with Robinson though, that fourth year is a lot of money to pay for potential and I imagine they're thinking long and hard on whether they want to deal with that kind of risk.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#9 » by JasonStern » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:08 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/526827327385124864[/tweet]

well, that's good news from a cap space perspective. hopefully they can now either sign him for a lesser contract or move him before he expires.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#10 » by GreenRiddler » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:48 pm

JasonStern wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/526827327385124864[/tweet]

well, that's good news from a cap space perspective. hopefully they can now either sign him for a lesser contract or move him before he expires.

Makes sense, seems like they were going back and forth or they would've done this in the first week of Oct, I think it was the right move. Just too much money on that one year. We could still sign him or someone else will. Not over for him.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#11 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:50 pm

Trading for Robinson was such a terrible move. Along with others, I was very much against it. 4 second round picks, plus the capspace allowing Houston to sign Howard... and it only cost 1 second round pick for the Jazz to snag Gobert that summer.

I wish Robinson the best luck on his career, and could even see us retaining him... but it isn't a happy story.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#12 » by GreenRiddler » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:50 pm

Wes needs a pay upgrade and so does Lopez, not mention the extension of LMA and possibly Lillard, just not worth it to give Robinson almost 5 million next year.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,832

Post#13 » by The Sebastian Express » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:57 pm

loolololol Wesley absolutely does not need a pay upgrade.
d-train
RealGM

Post#14 » by d-train » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:03 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Trading for Robinson was such a terrible move. Along with others, I was very much against it. 4 second round picks, plus the capspace allowing Houston to sign Howard... and it only cost 1 second round pick for the Jazz to snag Gobert that summer.

I wish Robinson the best luck on his career, and could even see us retaining him... but it isn't a happy story.

Jazz paid a little of nothing for Gobert and we paid a lot of nothing for Robinson. A little or a lot of nothing is still nothing. We got a free chance at developing a very talented big man at no expense. It was a no-brainer opportunity even if it didn't work out.

I'm sure Robinson is going to request a trade since this is a contract year for him now and there is no PT here.
d-train
RealGM

Post#15 » by d-train » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:06 pm

I love it that our local media is so worthless that our news comes from national outlets.
portlandoden
Pro Prospect
And1: 50

Post#16 » by portlandoden » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:06 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:loolololol Wesley absolutely does not need a pay upgrade.

Wes is in the highest paid year of his contract this year. That number is about the same as what Avery Bradley will make this year, in the lowest paying year of his 4 year deal. Jodie Meeks is making 6.5 million in a guaranteed 3rd year in the 16/17 season. Thabo just got 12 over 3 for giving one eighth of what we get from Matthews.

I don't think Wes will see a dramatic jump in his salary, but to 'lolololol' the thought off the page is ridiculous.
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,832

Post#17 » by The Sebastian Express » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:16 pm

I'm laughing at the idea that Wes deserves a pay upgrade. Because he doesn't. Overpaying other teams are of little concern to myself. Wes, despite his thought notion, is not the best two way guard in the league. I'm sorry, but he just isn't. He's got great heart and great hustle, he's a great three point shooter and above average defender, but he is not by any means a top shooting guard. His current salary is appropriate for the talent level he holds.
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#18 » by deanwoof » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:03 pm

d-train wrote:I love it that our local media is so worthless that our news comes from national outlets.

It's Woj.
he breaks everything. when steve blake takes a poop he's on it
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#19 » by PDX MM » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:36 pm

So does this mean Robinson's current deal of 3.6 mil this season is now an expiring contract? My question is can we use it as part of a trade or does he have some kind of veto right?
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#20 » by JasonStern » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:48 pm

GreenRiddler wrote:
JasonStern wrote:well, that's good news from a cap space perspective. hopefully they can now either sign him for a lesser contract or move him before he expires.

Makes sense, seems like they were going back and forth or they would've done this in the first week of Oct, I think it was the right move. Just too much money on that one year. We could still sign him or someone else will. Not over for him.

right. the only risk is if Robinson has a breakout year, in which the Blazers would be limited to only offering him a $4.6 million/season contract, and that doesn't seem too likely with him backing up Aldridge.

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Trading for Robinson was such a terrible move. Along with others, I was very much against it. 4 second round picks, plus the capspace allowing Houston to sign Howard...

while it was an overpay due to Houston needing the cap space, trading for a young lottery pick power forward wasn't that bad of a move considering the rumors that Aldridge might walk or demand a trade. the important thing is that Blazers management seems to have acknowledged that Robinson is likely a role player at best, and is not intending on overpaying.

The Sebastian Express wrote:I'm laughing at the idea that Wes deserves a pay upgrade. Because he doesn't. Overpaying other teams are of little concern to myself. Wes, despite his thought notion, is not the best two way guard in the league. I'm sorry, but he just isn't. He's got great heart and great hustle, he's a great three point shooter and above average defender, but he is not by any means a top shooting guard. His current salary is appropriate for the talent level he holds.

I think you overvalue opposing team's shooting guards. McGrady and Roy are medically retired, Kobe is old, and James Haren is touted as the best shooting guard in the league. that's how weak the position currently is. as such, there is zero chance that the Blazers sign Matthews again for the MLE. but, if McCollum pans out, I can also see them not overpaying to retain Matthews.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups

Return to Portland Trail Blazers