ImageImage

2014-2015 Trade Idea Thread

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

James72
Sixth Man
And1: 474

Re: 2014-2015 Trade Idea Thread 

Post#121 » by James72 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:31 am

Case2012 wrote:It's been pretty concerning that we haven't been active with trades in a long time. We acquired all of these "assets" and for the most part, they've sat on the bench and clogged roster and cap space.

But then again, we've been winning.

I still think you have to make moves to try and improve whenever possible, and the window for this team isn't as wide as many think. If you can win now, then you do it. Isn't that the whole point? (besides money)

I agree we should be active. However, Olshey might be waiting on purpose to gain more leverage. Close to the deadline then less leverage the other team has.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#122 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:58 pm

Which of the young guys did the Blazers pick up the option for next year? I know they did not pick up T-Rob's option, but did they pick up McCollum and Leonard?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#123 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:17 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Which of the young guys did the Blazers pick up the option for next year? I know they did not pick up T-Rob's option, but did they pick up McCollum and Leonard?

yes, CJ and Meyers

I'm thinking doing so for Meyers was a mistake
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#124 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Agreed!!!
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Run PDX
Pro Prospect
And1: 451

Post#125 » by Run PDX » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:55 pm

Brooklyn might be starting the "blow up" with a Derron Williams trade to Sacramento... Could KG's price be low? I know I've already mentioned him on this thread - but I feel like front court depth might be the defining factor in the West this post-season.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#126 » by Norm2953 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:47 am

I'd be interested in the apparent "arms" race in the western conference for if
Portland feels they are a playoff contender, they've got some work ahead to be
able to beat GS and Memphis.in a 7 game series.

Depending on where they finish, if the team slots in at 3-4-5, making a trade to
give them a better chance at two radically different teams at the top is going to
be a challenge. Winning a series against a potentially really tough Dallas Mavs with
Rondo is going to be a challenge. The west is going to be really tough for winning
an opening round matchup is going to be hard for even the #1 seed is going to
have their hands full with potentially OKC. We might need to get a trade if we
have to matchup in the opening round with SA, OKC and LAC who were the top
seeds last year.
James72
Sixth Man

Post#127 » by James72 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:00 am

Norm2953 wrote:I'd be interested in the apparent "arms" race in the western conference for if
Portland feels they are a playoff contender, they've got some work ahead to be
able to beat GS and Memphis.in a 7 game series.

Depending on where they finish, if the team slots in at 3-4-5, making a trade to
give them a better chance at two radically different teams at the top is going to
be a challenge. Winning a series against a potentially really tough Dallas Mavs with
Rondo is going to be a challenge. The west is going to be really tough for winning
an opening round matchup is going to be hard for even the #1 seed is going to
have their hands full with potentially OKC. We might need to get a trade if we
have to matchup in the opening round with SA, OKC and LAC who were the top
seeds last year.

I agree a move needs to be made, more specifically it seems we have agreed we need a significant bench player at the SG or SF position.

Narrow it down to teams that are sellers then you come up with names like Jeff Green, Kevin Martin, Iman Shumpert, gerald henderson and if they start losing more, Aaron Afflalo.

Also, a 3rd PG would be a nice safety net to have if Lillard or Blake goes down.

What is nice is we do not need any additions to our starting 5, back up PG and C, and typically you run with a solid 8 man rotation in playoffs. So if health prevails, and you believe in our top 7 players, we are one player away from being contenders, which is my thought.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#128 » by Norm2953 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:36 am

What I was trying to say is that its quite possible a potential first round opponent
could very well be SA, OKC and the Clips if we finish at 3 with a potential matchup
with a Texas team if we finish at 4 or 5. We're going to need more firepower for
our first round opponent will gear their defenses towards LA and Lillard.

At this point our starters are solid and we have reliable veterans with Blake and
Kaman. The rest of our team are situational players for Freeland is a typical
third big, T-Rob and Barton are the energy guys, developmental players in CJ,
Crabbe and Meyers and an occasional player in Wright.

Where we are lacking is a player who can fit in seamlessly with our starters and
can play up to 25-30 minutes per game on a regular basis. It would help if that
player was a real threat to score 20 ;points on a regular basis.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#129 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:25 am

Mn what I would doto have Paul pierce on this team, no way he would accept coming off the bench, but a wing rotation of him Batum and Wes would've been awesome.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#130 » by DusterBuster » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:11 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:Which of the young guys did the Blazers pick up the option for next year? I know they did not pick up T-Rob's option, but did they pick up McCollum and Leonard?

yes, CJ and Meyers

I'm thinking doing so for Meyers was a mistake

Yeah, I would have rather they pick up TRob's option over Meyers.

Run PDX wrote:Brooklyn might be starting the "blow up" with a Derron Williams trade to Sacramento... Could KG's price be low? I know I've already mentioned him on this thread - but I feel like front court depth might be the defining factor in the West this post-season.

It's basically impossible (impractical is probably a better term) to trade for KG straight across. He makes too much money so that the Blazers would have to give up something they wouldn't want to. The Blazers would either have to trade 4 players off the bench or they would have to trade one of the started/Kaman to get salaries close enough to match.

Decimating the roster just to get a well past his prime KG doesn't seem to make a ton of sense.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#131 » by Waynearchetype » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:07 am

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=myh53ac

Threw this idea by some wolves fans, it would include our First this year and a future second, but they said they'd do it.

This would pretty solve all our bench scoring problems, and if Martin gets in the zone I could see him closing out games and sitting Mathews or Batum (whoever isn't having a good game).
James72
Sixth Man

Post#132 » by James72 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:34 am

Waynearchetype wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=myh53ac

Threw this idea by some wolves fans, it would include our First this year and a future second, but they said they'd do it.

This would pretty solve all our bench scoring problems, and if Martin gets in the zone I could see him closing out games and sitting Mathews or Batum (whoever isn't having a good game).

I like the idea, I'm just not sure about a 1st AND a 2nd. Maybe its getting nit picky, but we would have to be sure he would put us over the top because we won't have any other trading chips. Remember, 2nd can be valuable as we landed Rolo with a couple.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#133 » by JasonStern » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:38 am

the last thing the Blazers need when closing out games is the ball out of Lillard and Aldridge's hand and in Kevin Martin's instead.

his tenure with OKC shows how his effectiveness drops off when his usage rate goes down. that's not exactly a bad thing, as he's still productive. but you're also giving away assets to lock Martin in at $7 million/season.

as such, I'd still rather go after Ben Gordon's team option contract. he can likely be had for a player like Thomas Robinson that the Blazers don't have in their long-term plans. he'd be an upgrade over Will Barton at third string point guard. his usage rate is lower, making him a better ft for the team's 8th man. and he wouldn't affect next year's cap space.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
James72
Sixth Man

Post#134 » by James72 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:54 am

JasonStern wrote:

the last thing the Blazers need when closing out games is the ball out of Lillard and Aldridge's hand and in Kevin Martin's instead.

his tenure with OKC shows how his effectiveness drops off when his usage rate goes down. that's not exactly a bad thing, as he's still productive. but you're also giving away assets to lock Martin in at $7 million/season.

as such, I'd still rather go after Ben Gordon's team option contract. he can likely be had for a player like Thomas Robinson that the Blazers don't have in their long-term plans. he'd be an upgrade over Will Barton at third string point guard. his usage rate is lower, making him a better ft for the team's 8th man. and he wouldn't affect next year's cap space.

He wasn't a ball dominant guard in OKC and was still pretty effective with a TS% of 60% and PER of 16+. Also, later in games i don't think he would be in the game, mathews would be.

Ive seen the $7mil mentioned a few times, i feel thats pretty fair for a 6th man IMO.

Gordon seems like the type of guy that is a chucker, always has been. I see him more as a ball stopper. Martin works pretty hard off ball.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#135 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:11 pm

Portland trades:
Robinson / McCollum / Leonard / Wright

for

Denver trades:
Afflalo / Chandler / Gee / Green

Maybe Portland has to toss in their 2015 1st Round Pick and/or cash??? Is it enough?!?!?

Denver would essentially go into rebuild mode around Lawson & Faried.
Portland would have an incredibly flexible roster after this:

Lillard (32) / Blake (20) / Green
Matthews (30) / Afflalo (26) (/ Barton
Batum (30) / Crabbe / Gee / Claver
Aldridge (32) / Chandler (26) / Freeland
Lopez (26) / Kaman (18)
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Post#136 » by cucad8 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:01 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Portland trades:
Robinson / McCollum / Leonard / Wright

for

Denver trades:
Afflalo / Chandler / Gee / Green

Maybe Portland has to toss in their 2015 1st Round Pick and/or cash??? Is it enough?!?!?

Denver would essentially go into rebuild mode around Lawson & Faried.
Portland would have an incredibly flexible roster after this:

Lillard (32) / Blake (20) / Green
Matthews (30) / Afflalo (26) (/ Barton
Batum (30) / Crabbe / Gee / Claver
Aldridge (32) / Chandler (26) / Freeland
Lopez (26) / Kaman (18)

I would love one of afflalo or chandler, but don't think we need to move for both of them.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#137 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:03 pm

If it's one or the other, I might lean towards Chandler as he can play and defend 3 positions.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#138 » by JasonStern » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:57 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Run PDX wrote:Brooklyn might be starting the "blow up" with a Derron Williams trade to Sacramento... Could KG's price be low? I know I've already mentioned him on this thread - but I feel like front court depth might be the defining factor in the West this post-season.

It's basically impossible (impractical is probably a better term) to trade for KG straight across. He makes too much money so that the Blazers would have to give up something they wouldn't want to.

Robinson, Wright, and Claver work under ESPN's trade machine. Brooklyn could even thrown in a Markel Brown and Cory Jefferson for roster spot reasons. that would save Brooklyn ~$5 million in pre-luxury tax dollars.

that said, I'd still prefer a 2/3, 3/4, or even a 2 who can play the 1 in emergencies to a 4/5 if the Blazers were going to make a move.
- Chauncey Billups
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#139 » by DusterBuster » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:53 am

JasonStern wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

It's basically impossible (impractical is probably a better term) to trade for KG straight across. He makes too much money so that the Blazers would have to give up something they wouldn't want to.

Robinson, Wright, and Claver work under ESPN's trade machine. Brooklyn could even thrown in a Markel Brown and Cory Jefferson for roster spot reasons. that would save Brooklyn ~$5 million in pre-luxury tax dollars.

that said, I'd still prefer a 2/3, 3/4, or even a 2 who can play the 1 in emergencies to a 4/5 if the Blazers were going to make a move.

Huh, that's actually kinda surprising that little salary going out works. Fair enough.

Yeah, still not sure KG is really worth the Blazers time and Paul Allen's money at this point in his career.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#140 » by JasonStern » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:02 am

DusterBuster wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:It's basically impossible (impractical is probably a better term) to trade for KG straight across. He makes too much money so that the Blazers would have to give up something they wouldn't want to.

Huh, that's actually kinda surprising that little salary going out works. Fair enough.

Yeah, still not sure KG is really worth the Blazers time and Paul Allen's money at this point in his career.

as I stated earlier, I'd still prefer a 2/3, 3/4, or even a 2 who can play the 1 in emergencies. presuming the stated trade went through, the Blazers would have Aldridge, Lopez, Kaman, Garnett, and Freeland at the 4/5, and Crabbe being the sole replacement for Batum when he's injured. the idea of bringing in Garnett for his experience totally makes sense, but the fit just isn't there. as GreenRIdler said earlier, it's a shame that Pierce signed with a winning Washington Bullets team, as he'd be a perfect veteran presence fit-wise to try to make a run. I'd add Tayshaun Prince to that list of unavailable veterans that would be a great 8th man to round out the roster.
- Chauncey Billups

Return to Portland Trail Blazers