Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

nickforthreee
Sixth Man
And1: 217

2nd round pick success stories 

Post#1 » by nickforthreee » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:00 am

in 2011 it was chandler parsons..

in 2012 it was draymond green..

in 2013 could Allen Crabbe be the second round pick success story?

my answer is yes. I think this offseason will be HUGE for him. I think he needs to dedicate this offseason to improving his ball handling. if he can do that, I think he can be an elite 3+D guy in this league & play himself into a nice contract next season, hopefully with Portland!
portlandoden
Pro Prospect
And1: 50

Re: 2nd round pick success stories 

Post#2 » by portlandoden » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:16 am

Could Crabe be better than any other second rounder from the 2013 draft? Yes. Though look at the names there, that's not saying much. Could he have the impact on our team that Draymond/Parsons have on theirs? Probably not.
I think he could certainly become a key piece of our team though, he'll get a chance to start now (assuming AAA is done) and show what he can do in the Playoffs. He could become a real sound, solid role player for us this season and beyond. Played well today, and he generally does the right thing.

On second rounders in general though, we've done a decent job finding talent there, it's just been a matter of being able to hold onto them. Mills, Pendergraph, Cunningham, Barton come to mind. (Cunningham and Barton were the best players we gave out in the deals for Crash and AAA, so their value to us is seen there) Picking up solid role players in the second round will be key for this team if they continue to be up around the top of the Western Conference.
Don't need to look to hit homeruns on finding a potential star in the 30's-40's, just get guys who play the game in a sound way, who do the right thing. Crabbe certainly fits that.
nickforthreee
Sixth Man
And1: 217

Post#3 » by nickforthreee » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:27 am

portlandoden wrote:Could Crabe be better than any other second rounder from the 2013 draft? Yes. Though look at the names there, that's not saying much. Could he have the impact on our team that Draymond/Parsons have on theirs? Probably not.
I think he could certainly become a key piece of our team though, he'll get a chance to start now (assuming AAA is done) and show what he can do in the Playoffs. He could become a real sound, solid role player for us this season and beyond. Played well today, and he generally does the right thing.

On second rounders in general though, we've done a decent job finding talent there, it's just been a matter of being able to hold onto them. Mills, Pendergraph, Cunningham, Barton come to mind. (Cunningham and Barton were the best players we gave out in the deals for Crash and AAA, so their value to us is seen there) Picking up solid role players in the second round will be key for this team if they continue to be up around the top of the Western Conference.
Don't need to look to hit homeruns on finding a potential star in the 30's-40's, just get guys who play the game in a sound way, who do the right thing. Crabbe certainly fits that.

agree with a lot of what you said although I do think in a few years he could have a parsons like impact. his handles are key to this becoming a reality though, they need to improve a lot.
DemonLizard
Junior
And1: 280

Post#4 » by DemonLizard » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:43 pm

I think crabbe is really good, very smart player... Not sure why he hasn't been getting any time... Looks like he will now though.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#5 » by Norm2953 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:31 pm

You don't have to go very far in Blazer's draft history for in 1984, Jerome Kersey was the 46th player chosen.

That of course was the Sam Bowie/Michael Jordan draft but was an interesting draft for Leon Wood was the 10th
player chosen and he's now an NBA ref and Rick Carlisle (Dallas Mav coach) was picked in the third round.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#6 » by JasonStern » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:36 am

Norm2953 wrote:You don't have to go very far in Blazer's draft history for in 1984, Jerome Kersey was the 46th player chosen.

Kevin Duckworth was also selected in the second round (33rd pick, 1986), although he was drafted by San Antonio and then traded to Portland during his rookie season. and more shocking than that - Wesley Matthews went undrafted. :o
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
skoharry
Junior
And1: 20

Post#7 » by skoharry » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:31 am

some other successful blazer late round picks have been cliff robinson, larry steele(which was a 3rd round pick), drazen petrovic(3rd round also), bob gross, lloyd neal, and sidney wicks
Defense and rebounding wins games
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#8 » by Norm2953 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:33 am

http://www.basketball-reference.com/tea ... draft.html

Lots of recent Blazers second round picks that were successful, not necessarily
with Portland. Needless to say, the odds at finding a player are not good but the
draft itself is a crap shoot.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers