ImageImage

Portland's Off-Season

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Re: Portland's Off-Season 

Post#141 » by Norm2953 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:23 pm

I'd like to know how the team's offensive focus will change if LA does indeed leave for the
teams current mid-range sets designed for LA would have to change for Meyers (if he's
the replacement) game if different from LA.

The team would have a vast different look if LA is gone and Nic gets moved. Likely we'll be
a mid-lottery team for its unclear what we'll do with our cap space. I could see the team
make a run at DAJ but he's not likely going to come here. Given the lack of options, we
might re-sign Rolo if the price was reasonable and perhaps 1-2 players to provide depth
to the playing rotation but I tend to think 2016 will be a season to build around Dame,
Meyers and CJ as the team leaders with hopefully a return to form of Wes in mid season
to provide hope for 2017.

Olshey is no miracle worker for taking 1-2 steps back so that we can again look forward
to competing in 2017 is perhaps what we'll be looking forward to. The team will be young
and will make mistakes but will play hard most nights. We'll be better than the T-Wolves
and be in a similar to 2012 wondering if we'll get lucky in next years lottery.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#142 » by Downtown » Wed May 20, 2015 12:25 am

It will come down to a meeting between Olshey and Paul Allen. The question will come up about whether to try to bring this current group back as a whole, choose a couple and fill in the other position(s), reload with new free agents altogether, or rebuild once again.

Considering how Olshey structured this team to be in a position to make changes if needed, plus Olshey quoting Allen after last season that he promise to make this team more competitive, I don't see the last option coming true. The other three options? Only the owner and GM will decide on the direction they go in.
MakDagr
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#143 » by MakDagr » Wed May 20, 2015 5:47 pm

Thoughts on Batum & #23 for BJennings & #8?
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#144 » by Wizenheimer » Wed May 20, 2015 6:13 pm

MakDagr wrote:Thoughts on Batum & #23 for BJennings & #8?

it's pretty close to the value I'd set on Batum before the off-season, but I don't know why Detroit would do that
tester551
Analyst
And1: 815

Post#145 » by tester551 » Wed May 20, 2015 6:14 pm

In a heart beat. I am not sure Detroit would do that though.
MakDagr
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#146 » by MakDagr » Wed May 20, 2015 6:52 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:

it's pretty close to the value I'd set on Batum before the off-season, but I don't know why Detroit would do that

Well i was talking it over with my friend (that works for Blazers)...not that he has any inside source saying this is even a possibility...but with Detroit most likely resigning Reggie Jackson, Batum would be a nice touch. Can kiiiiiiiiinda play that Hedo role for Stan Van.

Reggie
KCP
Batum
Monroe (or Draymond)
Drummond

...is pretty nice for them.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#147 » by PDXKnight » Wed May 20, 2015 7:47 pm

MakDagr wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

Well i was talking it over with my friend (that works for Blazers)...not that he has any inside source saying this is even a possibility...but with Detroit most likely resigning Reggie Jackson, Batum would be a nice touch. Can kiiiiiiiiinda play that Hedo role for Stan Van.

Reggie
KCP
Batum
Monroe (or Draymond)
Drummond

...is pretty nice for them.

I'd prefer to swing Jennings to a third team if possible
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#148 » by deanwoof » Fri May 22, 2015 1:28 am

Dame and Batum for Chris Paul?

Is there truly is a riff between paul and griffin, this could solve that problem, instead of the previously reported Griffin for Aldridge. Dame (and Adidas) go to Los Angeles, Batum fills a huge need on the wing. Blazers get serious about proving to Aldridge to stay. Imagine their pick and roll of CP3 and Aldridge. Get a more traditional PG and win now piece. Afflalo would have a clear role next season.

Lopez Aldridge Afflalo CJ Paul, Matthews Leonard, Blake, Kaman, etc..

Jordan, griffin, Batum, redick, dame, rivers, Barnes.

I mean it's that or trade dame for #2
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#149 » by Norm2953 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:39 am

CP3 just turned 30. He's not the player you need in a rebuild.
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#150 » by deanwoof » Fri May 22, 2015 1:49 am

Who says rebuild? Win now mode. Not, wait for dame to take the leap.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#151 » by PDXKnight » Fri May 22, 2015 3:36 am

I'll take a 24 year old lillard over a 30 year old paul especially considering that Paul has already bailed from a small market team that couldn't get him a title
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#152 » by DusterBuster » Fri May 22, 2015 3:42 am

Oden2 wrote:I'll take a 24 year old lillard over a 30 year old paul especially considering that Paul has already bailed from a small market team that couldn't get him a title

I've never liked Paul. He's a giant prick and he wears on all his teammates at every stop he's ever been at. For a guy who's touted as this amazing leader, he just burns out all his teammates after like 2 years. I don't think it's a coincidence that every Paul led team looks like the whole team hates each other than that he can't ever advance deep in the playoffs.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#153 » by Norm2953 » Fri May 22, 2015 4:19 am

I'd love to pair Dame with a big, defensive minded back court partner, especially with
Wes' recovery from his Achilles. Presumably Crabbe will get a look but I'm doubtful he's
an NBA starting SG. We're not dealing him for CP3.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#154 » by Village Idiot » Fri May 22, 2015 6:25 am

I can't fathom who we'd take with the #8 who might become better than Nic. For me this draft has one tier that is a sure bet and that is only three players. The 2nd tier of guys from 4-8 are not that enticing. After 8 it gets very murky and I see very few players without significant question marks.

I also don't see what we'd do with Jennings who is commonly regarded as having negative value. I can't see him being happy behind Damian and I can't see them playing together either.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Village Idiot
General Manager

Post#155 » by Village Idiot » Fri May 22, 2015 6:26 am

Norm2953 wrote:I'd love to pair Dame with a big, defensive minded back court partner, especially with
Wes' recovery from his Achilles. Presumably Crabbe will get a look but I'm doubtful he's
Let's move Nic to SG then :D In a dream scenario we'd do that and acquire Draymond Green to play SF lead the locker room.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#156 » by PDXKnight » Fri May 22, 2015 1:34 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:I'd love to pair Dame with a big, defensive minded back court partner, especially with
Let's move Nic to SG then :D In a dream scenario we'd do that and acquire Draymond Green to play SF lead the locker room.

Green has been solid but I question whether he'd be if you take him out of that system
Village Idiot
General Manager

Post#157 » by Village Idiot » Fri May 22, 2015 1:50 pm

Oden2 wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:

Green has been solid but I question whether he'd be if you take him out of that system

Let's adopt their system then. Its both successful and fun to watch.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#158 » by Norm2953 » Fri May 22, 2015 6:18 pm

Nic is too inconsistent to be counted on as a back court partner for Dame which is why he's being
shopped. Sometimes I think he'd be happier in a city like Toronto for much the same reasons as
Hedo for that's more international city with direct flights to Europe. If that's the case, a trade
with the Raptors for DD is possible.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#159 » by Wizenheimer » Fri May 22, 2015 6:26 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Nic is too inconsistent to be counted on as a back court partner for Dame which is why he's being
shopped..

who says he's being "shopped"...?

some posters at RealGM wanting Portland to trade Batum don't mean that Olshey and Paul Allen are shopping him, any more then some posters at RealGM coming up with trades that have Lillard going for a top-3 pick mean Lillard is being shopped
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#160 » by Norm2953 » Fri May 22, 2015 7:03 pm

There has to be real concern that Nic will walk next summer, especially if LA walks. Portland
would only be doing their due diligence to sift through offers for players on their team.

I do think Portland will be listen to offers for Nic. If they wish to target specific players
prior to the draft, they will call other teams in the range where that player is being slotted
for, its going to cost something.

Think about the needs of the team. If the team wishes in the end to build around Dame, CJ
and Meyers, the team will a big defensive player to protect the rim. This is regardless of
whether LA returns or not which is why there is some talk of Portland going after DAJ
or wanting to move up in the draft from 23.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers