End of an Era? The strings pulling at LaMarcus Aldridge

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Re: End of an Era? The strings pulling at LaMarcus Aldridge 

Post#121 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu May 21, 2015 2:01 am

I wonder if teams will look at venturing into the luxury tax next season knowing the cap will go up quite a bit the following season? Don't you have to be over the tax for 2 seasons before getting fined that second season? If that's correct, then the Blazers could go after another max player. If that's not correct, then I know about as little about the CBA as I thought I knew.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#122 » by Wizenheimer » Thu May 21, 2015 5:34 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:I wonder if teams will look at venturing into the luxury tax next season knowing the cap will go up quite a bit the following season? Don't you have to be over the tax for 2 seasons before getting fined that second season? If that's correct, then the Blazers could go after another max player. If that's not correct, then I know about as little about the CBA as I thought I knew.

the "repeater" tax is the onerous one. But it takes a lot to trigger it, IIRC. Without looking it up, I'm thinking it doesn't kick in till a team is over the tax threshold for either 3 of 4 seasons, or maybe it's 4 of 5

but I sure don't know how the Blazers can "go after another max player". You gotta have the cap-space to go after a max player and if you have that cap-space, then there's no chance of becoming a taxpayer
littlerock2277
Rookie
And1: 1,312

Post#123 » by littlerock2277 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 pm

They way the reports are going out about Aldridge reminds me exactly what chris Bosh did to us 5years ago.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#124 » by DusterBuster » Sat May 23, 2015 12:00 am

Does anyone know Kevin Love's contract situation? I can't remember if he picked up his player option when he was traded to the Cavs or not.

If he does still have that PO, my guess is he opts out while he's still got some of his Minny rep attached to his name. He clearly didn't enjoy playing 3rd fiddle to LeBron and Kyrie this year, nor did he enjoy playing for David Blatt (even though its probably a forgone conclusion that Blatt is getting fired the second they're out of the playoffs). Could Portland potentially pull in Love if LA leaves? That would be one way to keep the team running along without much of a hiccup.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Post#125 » by cucad8 » Sat May 23, 2015 4:18 am

DusterBuster wrote:Does anyone know Kevin Love's contract situation? I can't remember if he picked up his player option when he was traded to the Cavs or not.

If he does still have that PO, my guess is he opts out while he's still got some of his Minny rep attached to his name. He clearly didn't enjoy playing 3rd fiddle to LeBron and Kyrie this year, nor did he enjoy playing for David Blatt (even though its probably a forgone conclusion that Blatt is getting fired the second they're out of the playoffs). Could Portland potentially pull in Love if LA leaves? That would be one way to keep the team running along without much of a hiccup.

I'm almost positive he still has his PO. He did not have to exercise it in the trade. I have no link, but am like 99% certain he still has that option available.

I agree that if it's a certainty he's leaving, a straight across swap maybe of the 2 in a S&T, or just grabbing him as a replacement would be a pretty good fit to not give us TOO big of a hiccup.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#126 » by Norm2953 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:38 pm

I'd be skeptical Love would agree to a S&T with Portland and think Cleveland would be a horrible
fit for LA. Nice for Portland though.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#127 » by DusterBuster » Sun May 24, 2015 12:36 am

Amy Schwartz @TheAmySchwartz about 49 minutes ago
I just drove by LaMarcus Aldridge's house....it has a for sale sign outside of it. Does it mean anything?

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/tag/portla ... z3b0mYwTOD
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#128 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun May 24, 2015 3:34 am

DusterBuster wrote:Amy Schwartz @TheAmySchwartz about 49 minutes ago
I just drove by LaMarcus Aldridge's house....it has a for sale sign outside of it. Does it mean anything?

Brought up at the start of this thread. Seems to be a regular thing with LMA.
Plus Amy Schwartz= intern of Canzano. Not really a legit source as I see it
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#129 » by Norm2953 » Sun May 24, 2015 3:47 am

No matter where he signs with, he can afford to buy a bigger house.
Luciferswings
Banned User
And1: 66

Post#130 » by Luciferswings » Sun May 24, 2015 3:54 am

The timing does seem significant.
mactrapper10
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#131 » by mactrapper10 » Sun May 24, 2015 3:57 am

Brandon-Clyde wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:Amy Schwartz @TheAmySchwartz about 49 minutes ago

Brought up at the start of this thread. Seems to be a regular thing with LMA.
Plus Amy Schwartz= intern of Canzano. Not really a legit source as I see it

Eh, who knows what that means. I feel like Aldridge is the kind of guy that if he was moving and had no plans to return, he would just come out and say it. So far he hasn't given any indication that he is gone, other than he wants to go through the process. I wouldn't be surprised if he left, but I don't think things like this will be what gives it away.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#132 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon May 25, 2015 2:23 am

Didn't he go on record at the end of his last contract and say he would be resigning with Portland, even before negotiations began?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
tester551
Analyst
And1: 815

Post#133 » by tester551 » Mon May 25, 2015 2:41 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Didn't he go on record at the end of his last contract and say he would be resigning with Portland, even before negotiations began?

Essentially, but a lot changes in a year. Basically, his comments from last year don't mean crap
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#134 » by Wizenheimer » Mon May 25, 2015 3:01 am

tester551 wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:Didn't he go on record at the end of his last contract and say he would be resigning with Portland, even before negotiations began?

Essentially, but a lot changes in a year. Basically, his comments from last year don't mean crap

one main change:

He pledged to re-sign in July. In October, the NBA announced the new TV mega-deal. I'd imagine that changed the thinking for a lot of NBA players

a year is a long time, and last year, when Aldridge made those remarks, the Blazer season had ended on the high of making it to the 2nd round. This season, from about the all-star game on, was a long gradual downer ending with Memphis essentially crushing the life out of the schemes that Stotts designed, on both ends of the floor. Last summers reasons for optimism have taken major hits...maybe fatal ones. Aldridge has to be considering that
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#135 » by Norm2953 » Mon May 25, 2015 5:02 am

Let's see what types of moves the Spurs will be forced to make in order to have the cap space
for LA. If the moves are going to impact the Spurs in ways LA perceives will make it difficult
for them to win, he may opt to re-sign.

He's likely going to go to the team that offers him the best chance to win for he's going to get
his max contract no matter where he goes.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#136 » by PDXKnight » Mon May 25, 2015 4:21 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Let's see what types of moves the Spurs will be forced to make in order to have the cap space
for LA. If the moves are going to impact the Spurs in ways LA perceives will make it difficult
for them to win, he may opt to re-sign.

He's likely going to go to the team that offers him the best chance to win for he's going to get
his max contract no matter where he goes.

A lot of teams would want Tiago splitter and SA could set up a trade that only happens if la signs with them.
riter
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,531

Post#137 » by riter » Thu May 28, 2015 1:37 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
He pledged to re-sign in July. In October, the NBA announced the new TV mega-deal. I'd imagine that changed the thinking for a lot of NBA players

this is a significant point.

this article explains why I think there is more than just a slim chance of LMA coming to NY.
Who else besides the knicks will give a 30yr old LMA an extra $78mil over six years.
He'll get a max this year, then a 5 year $168mil a year from now----

as opposed to just a 5yr $109mil from Portland this year.
If LMA takes this risk---do you really think Portland will do this? I think there's a chance they don't.
I think there is 0 chance the Spurs do this---even in the unlikely event Duncan takes the vet min.

I personally don't mind it, b/c I'm willing to bet your life that there will be an amnesty clause in the next CBA.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2 ... salary-cap

"Expect to see something supremely unusual this summer: Teams will push for long contracts, even at higher values, while players and agents may decide to leave money on the table."
Luciferswings
Banned User
And1: 66

Post#138 » by Luciferswings » Thu May 28, 2015 1:51 am

I think there is a 100% chance the Spurs pay him that.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 815

Post#139 » by tester551 » Thu May 28, 2015 4:43 am

riter wrote:this article explains why I think there is more than just a slim chance of LMA coming to NY.
Who else besides the knicks will give a 30yr old LMA an extra $78mil over six years.

If LMA decides to sign a 1 year contract & then resign next year the longest any team will be able to sign him for is 4 years (as they will not have his bird rights).

Portland is the ONLY team hat can give him a 5 yr contract within the next 2 years. Whether that is a smart idea is up for debate...
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#140 » by JasonStern » Thu May 28, 2015 5:04 am

riter wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

this is a significant point.

this article explains why I think there is more than just a slim chance of LMA coming to NY.

the Blazers have one of the richest owners in sports (behind, if drunken memory recalls correctly, Ballmer owning the LA Clippers and Knight owning the Oregon Ducks). if Portland balks at an Aldridge contract, it won't be for financial reasons.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups

Return to Portland Trail Blazers