ImageImage

Meet the New Blazer - Noah Vonleh

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Indy2LA
Junior
And1: 271

Re: Meet the New Blazer - Noah Vonleh 

Post#61 » by Indy2LA » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:58 pm

I was one of Vonleh's biggest fans at IU! Thought he would turn into a carbon copy of Antonio McDyess in the NBA.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#62 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:45 pm

bob2 wrote:Vonleh's PER 36 are: 11.5 pts, 12 rbds, 1.3 blks, 0.7 3pts, 0.6 stls

Of course, the sample size was too small to fully trust this stats but that's not bad for a 19 years old player.

per36 is extremely unreliable for a player that only averaged 10 minutes over 25 games. Chances are that most of those minutes were garbage-time minutes
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#63 » by GreenRiddler » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:32 am

Yup. He is however a good offensive rebounder and overall a excellent rebounder. Lead the 14 draft in rebounds per 40. Played alot of mins at Indiana.

He has a nose for the ball. same height as TT but better wingspan and leaping. He has huge mitts 2nd biggest in the NBA. He finishes that little right handed hook shot so easy because its like a lemon to him.

He is really good at utilizing the baseline. watching some of his baskets this year and at Indy. He will do a jump-stop right under he rim and use head fakes to get the defender off balance then throw up those flick shots with those big mitts.

can be a good interior scorer, but right now he needs to be a roll big man. He attacks the basket off a set play like a PnR where the D has to react. Then he uses that foot work and strength to finish.

He actually seems a bit ahead of his years when it comes to foot work and shooting over both shoulders in the post. But overall sense of positioning and where to be on offense and defense needs work, but he is only 19 so I am not worried. If he got mins in Char he would've got better with that. Sitting on the bench wasn't gonna make him get better awareness.

I think he is unique because he can hit the glass and be physical as a rebounder, but also can develop a face-up game and drive to the hoop, along with his jump shooting ability. He has shown he can make the turn around jumper too. (OKC game).

I like him as a prospect and can't wait for SL to see him in action. I think he can fit with LMA as a offensive rebounder and big man depth and also develop as a feature player if LMA leaves.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#64 » by GreenRiddler » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:23 pm

pretty Athletic.

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,547

Post#65 » by SOUL » Wed Jul 1, 2015 3:24 am

If anybody needs an avatar and wants one of your new guy:

http://i.imgur.com/W0CiLGU.png
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#66 » by Agenda42 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 4:04 am

GreenRiddler wrote:pretty Athletic.

This looks weird.

On the one hand, he doesn't have much more vertical than I do.

On the other hand, he's so long that he's playing way above the rim.
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#67 » by LamarMatic7 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 8:56 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
bob2 wrote:Vonleh's PER 36 are: 11.5 pts, 12 rbds, 1.3 blks, 0.7 3pts, 0.6 stls

Of course, the sample size was too small to fully trust this stats but that's not bad for a 19 years old player.

per36 is extremely unreliable for a player that only averaged 10 minutes over 25 games. Chances are that most of those minutes were garbage-time minutes

they were both garbage time minutes and end of the season unimportant game minutes. the latter are tricky, no doubt. some have unjustifiably made big money out of them (Jim McIlvaine), some GMs see talent and find real gems in them.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#68 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Jul 5, 2015 7:34 pm

He seems to have really wuick feet and can switch the PnR on SGs and point forwards. He switched a lot of picks on former top 10 pick Nik Staukas.

He also said he communicates a lot on D, calling the coverages and stuff, which is good to hear, communication is a big part o playing good team D.

I think awareness is the only thing he has to overcome, that and refining his post game, as e looks like he is committed to playing in the Post and has a knack already at 19 for finishing over both shoulders.

His rebounding is also very good, boxes out a lot, good as a offensive rebounder, but very good as a defensive rebounder. When teams go small he can get us 2nd chance points and bang with those Crafty rebounders. He has shown he has the potential as a rim protector as well, just needs to better time his reads as when to come over and help.

That plus his 3 point shooting and his ability to put it on the floor against slower bigs should make him a very impressive player on both ends of the court. All he needs is more experience to get a better feel for where to be and when. Only 19.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,531

Post#69 » by zzaj » Sun Jul 5, 2015 11:03 pm

I think more than anyone on the roster, the next few years of the Blazers may hinge on the development of Vonleh. He has the potential to be a very, very good player.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#70 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Jul 5, 2015 11:39 pm

zzaj wrote:I think more than anyone on the roster, the next few years of the Blazers may hinge on the development of Vonleh. He has the potential to be a very, very good player.

I sure hope you're right, but it was just a short time ago that a lot of people around here were saying very similar things about TRob

I like the thought of Vonleh becoming something of a 'hybrid-SF/PF-new-age-small-ball-big'. I have no clue if he can come anywhere close
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#71 » by PDXKnight » Mon Jul 6, 2015 12:15 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
zzaj wrote:I think more than anyone on the roster, the next few years of the Blazers may hinge on the development of Vonleh. He has the potential to be a very, very good player.

I sure hope you're right, but it was just a short time ago that a lot of people around here were saying very similar things about TRob

I like the thought of Vonleh becoming something of a 'hybrid-SF/PF-new-age-small-ball-big'. I have no clue if he can come anywhere close

Yeah it's hard to know for sure considering that vonleh is all potential at this point. Olshey took a flyer on him and hopefully he pans out but at this point who knows if he pans out
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#72 » by Goldbum » Mon Jul 6, 2015 12:29 am

The more I watch him play the more he reminds me of Abdur-Rahim
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#73 » by GreenRiddler » Mon Jul 6, 2015 3:51 am

Edit: delete
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#74 » by d-train » Mon Jul 6, 2015 4:08 am

Is it possible to have less hang time? Air Jordan seemingly defied gravity but this guy looks the opposite. It looks like gravity is pulling harder on him than other high jumping big men. He has big hands and an impressive physique. We shall soon see what he can do.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Re: Re: Meet the New Blazer - Noah Vonleh 

Post#75 » by Dame Lizard » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:06 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:

Noah Vonleh has the same standing reach as Mason Plumlee.

A power forward with a 9'0" standing reach is not undersized in the slightest.

Also, Vonleh was only 18 years old at the combine, and IIRC, was the 2nd youngest played in the draft behind Aaron Gordon. He could still have grown from his very impressive PF measurements, and no doubt has grown in the muscle/weight department.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#76 » by Blazinaway » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:20 pm

d-train wrote:Is it possible to have less hang time? Air Jordan seemingly defied gravity but this guy looks the opposite. It looks like gravity is pulling harder on him than other high jumping big men. He has big hands and an impressive physique. We shall soon see what he can do.

his vertical numbers were 31 and 37 at the combine, that is pretty solid
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#77 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:34 pm

Dame Lizard wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

Also, Vonleh was only 18 years old at the combine, and IIRC, was the 2nd youngest played in the draft behind Aaron Gordon. He could still have grown from his very impressive PF measurements, and no doubt has grown in the muscle/weight department.

terrence Jones was measured as being 1/4" taller then Vonleh...6'8.25 vs 6'8...and Jones had an 8'11" standing reach, only 1" less. Jones was only 7 months younger then Vonleh was at the time of those measurements

and the knock on Jones is that he is undersized...as was more then evident when he was trying to defend Aldridge in the playoffs last season. Total mismatch

by the way, standing reach doesn't mean much; other players with a 9'0 standing reach:

Tyrus Thomas - 6' 7.25"
Hakim Warrick - 6' 7.25"
Sean Banks - 6' 5.75"
Marvin Williams - 6' 7"
Kenneth Faried - 6' 6"
Derrick Williams - 6' 7.25"
Kyle Anderson - 6' 7.5"

Luol Deng had a 9'0.5" reach

none of those guys have traditional PF size.

you know, I wasn't saying what I said in that previous post to dis Vonleh. I was trying to come up with a projection of what Vonleh might become. Seems like you didn't like the projection although I don't know why
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#78 » by Waynearchetype » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:40 pm

Vonleh will be interesting. He has skills that many PFs take years to develop (3 point shot, handle) and he is missing skills that most bigs need when they come into the nba (his % around the rim is pretty sad). How much of the negative can you attribute to the atmosphere and development of the Hornets? Some, I imagine. He needs playing time, lots of it, and hopefully alongside some of our better players to maintain some stability.
James72
Sixth Man
And1: 474

Post#79 » by James72 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 9:04 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
Dame Lizard wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

terrence Jones was measured as being 1/4" taller then Vonleh...6'8.25 vs 6'8...and Jones had an 8'11" standing reach, only 1" less. Jones was only 7 months younger then Vonleh was at the time of those measurements

and the knock on Jones is that he is undersized...as was more then evident when he was trying to defend Aldridge in the playoffs last season. Total mismatch

by the way, standing reach doesn't mean much; other players with a 9'0 standing reach:

Tyrus Thomas - 6' 7.25"
Hakim Warrick - 6' 7.25"
Sean Banks - 6' 5.75"
Marvin Williams - 6' 7"
Kenneth Faried - 6' 6"
Kyle Anderson - 6' 7.5"

you know, I wasn't saying what I said in that previous post to dis Vonleh. I was trying to come up with a projection of what Vonleh might become. Seems like you didn't like the projection although I don't know why

You could also accumulate successful PFs with similar measurements.

David West: 6'8.25" - 9'0.5"
Kevin Love: 6'7.75" - 8'10"
Paul Milsap: 6'6.25" - 8'9.5"
Zach Randolph is 6'7"
Carlos Boozer: 6'7.75" - 9'0.5" (still had a very good career)
etc.

Cases can be made to support both sides.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#80 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jul 6, 2015 10:43 pm

James72 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
Dame Lizard wrote:

Tyrus Thomas - 6' 7.25"
Hakim Warrick - 6' 7.25"
Sean Banks - 6' 5.75"
Marvin Williams - 6' 7"
Kenneth Faried - 6' 6"
Kyle Anderson - 6' 7.5"

You could also accumulate successful PFs with similar measurements.

David West: 6'8.25" - 9'0.5"
Kevin Love: 6'7.75" - 8'10"
Paul Milsap: 6'6.25" - 8'9.5"
Zach Randolph is 6'7"
Carlos Boozer: 6'7.75" - 9'0.5" (still had a very good career)
etc.

Cases can be made to support both sides.

no doubt

still, 13 months ago Vonleh was 6'8. That's not that big...Terrence Jones size.

I'd also wonder:

using your examples, as rookies, FG% at rim:

Vonleh .471

David West .549
Kevin Love .551
Paul Millsap .679
Zach Randolph .674
Carlos Boozer .661

now, is that because Vonleh is overmatched physically when he gets down there in the paint? you know, a bit undersized, at least at this point in his career? I don't know, but those are pretty curious numbers considering the discussion

I never said Vonleh couldn't play PF. All I was doing is wondering if, because of his size and agility, he could play SF as well. That's why I mentioned some form of a hybrid, new-age forward capable of fitting in those small-ball lineups that are all the rage now.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers