ImageImage

LMA to meet with Raptors Knicks Lakers Mavs and Spurs

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#1 » by GreenRiddler » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:42 pm

Wow he is just getting wined and dined. It reminds me of that episode of Malcolm in the middle where 12 different colleges try to get a commitment and they treat his dad till they get an answer they like.

Why the Raps though? If you are not going to sign with a team at all, why wast their time and yours? I don't know what LMA is thinking, but I really doubt he will even consider the Raps.

As for the Knicks, he said himself during AS weekend that they team struggling like it is won't dissuade FAs because "Phil is Phil" or something along those lines and if one of those teams can promise to team him with DJ then he may go for it.

I am honestly skeptical about SA as Duncan is 1 injury away from retirement and TP looked like a shell of himself this year and it seems Manu will announce his "decision" in a Argentine newspaper soon (Can't imagine he would take out a column saying he will stay).

Will be interesting to see if NO ducks Q's about LMA during today's press conference.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BrettNBA/status/615601833357275138[/tweet]
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Re: LMA to meet with Raptors Knicks Lakers Mavs and Spurs 

Post#2 » by GreenRiddler » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:46 pm

It doesn't mean LMA is leaving though. As someone else pointed out it wouldn't be the first time Stein was way off base Re: 99.9% LMA leaves. Just today he said Deng would opt out only to have Deng opt in a few hours later....oops.
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#3 » by Masterfully » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:52 pm

Toronto? W in T actual F?
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#4 » by GreenRiddler » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:54 pm

Makes no sense. alot of teams can offer him the max. Why not meet with them all?
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,827

Post#5 » by The Sebastian Express » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:57 pm

Toronto is a nice city. He might like some of the players. He's taking his opportunity to hear pitches, which is good for him. It's nice to feel wanted.
Khazim
Veteran
And1: 114

Post#6 » by Khazim » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:59 pm

Seems to me like LaMarcus is doing his due diligence and taking this opportunity to truly view his options and see what things are like on the other side of the fence. He has been in Portland his entire career, and maybe isn't sure what life is like inside other franchises. Having a meet and greet with some other brass and get the gist of a team can either show him that there are better options than Portland, or show him that he 's been in the best place all along. Very wise, especially as he is likely to sign a long term deal and never get such an opportunity again.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." — Frank Zappa
First Step
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,929

Post#7 » by First Step » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:14 pm

If he signs with the Raps it should make them the 2nd best team in the East, which could be appealing to him.
Run PDX
Pro Prospect
And1: 451

Post#8 » by Run PDX » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:46 pm

And, he's going to meet with Houston as well.
I would assume that the first thing to come out of Houston will be a sign and trade package - then, they would try to clear cap space (if Aldridge expresses interest).
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#9 » by whatchaknow » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:49 pm

Would be funny if Lamarcus would want to go to the one team that passed him up in the draft for andrea bargnani while at the same time would be willing to ditch the one team that has constantly believed in him. Also for a guy that wants to win, none of these teams are in a better situation than Portland was in last year prior to injuries. Spurs you could argue but they lost in the first round also. This might truly be just a moment where he wants to leave the city of portland for whatever reason. I don't get it personally but i guess thats just the modern day athlete always thinking the grass is greener on the other side. When he shoots 33% on 22 shots and the New York or LA media starts ripping him for his playoff performance I think he would miss Portland
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#10 » by whatchaknow » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:51 pm

Run PDX wrote:And, he's going to meet with Houston as well.
I would assume that the first thing to come out of Houston will be a sign and trade package - then, they would try to clear cap space (if Aldridge expresses interest).

Motiejunas and/or Dekker id be willing to listen to. Not much interest in Terrence Jones
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#11 » by GreenRiddler » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:58 pm

a couple of people think LMA is going to take a 2 year deal where he can opt out for the TV deal in 2016.
Run PDX
Pro Prospect
And1: 451

Post#12 » by Run PDX » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:59 pm

If we could get Jones and Dekker, and flip Trevor Ariza to a third team for either picks or prospects, I wouldn't complain.
But, I think that the gap between what the Blazers would want, what Houston would want, and what Aldridge would want would be too large for all three parties to work out.
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,827

Post#13 » by The Sebastian Express » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:05 pm

GreenRiddler wrote:a couple of people think LMA is going to take a 2 year deal where he can opt out for the TV deal in 2016.

I still think it's most likely he'll resign with us for two years with a player option, yeah. He retains full bird rights that way with the chance for an exceptionally large package. It is probably the wisest and safest choice. Even if he suffers an injury, he'd still get max with the Blazers next year. Unless it was catastrophic and career-ending possibility level.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#14 » by d-train » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:47 pm

Raptors have a decent team and enough cap room to sign LA to a max deal. Knicks also has cap room and Melo, which provides LA a good reason to consider Knicks offer. Spurs has a good team if they sign Duncan.

If Spurs can sign Duncan for $5M or less, they can offer LA his best opportunity. Otherwise, Blazers are LA's best opportunity.
plyrically
Junior
And1: 49

Post#15 » by plyrically » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:38 pm

If you have been driving a Drop-top Benz for your whole life,

You might have the urge to step into an Honda before you get the Bugatti Veyron.

Enjoy your journey and come back safe LA, we know you will.
TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Post#16 » by TBpup » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:51 pm

If the Knicks and Raptors are on this list, it has officially turned into the clown show and LA was full of $4!t the entire time. What a clown show if he went there.
@TBpup22
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,521

Post#17 » by zzaj » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:09 pm

He's doing exactly what I would be doing if I were him. Why wouldn't he check out every team that was interested?
jeffhardyfan52
General Manager
And1: 596

Post#18 » by jeffhardyfan52 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:27 pm

TBpup wrote:If the Knicks and Raptors are on this list, it has officially turned into the clown show and LA was full of $4!t the entire time. What a clown show if he went there.
yup that's the biggest thing I take away from this.
He should of just kept his mouth shut last year
Wickzki
Starter
And1: 291

Post#19 » by Wickzki » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:35 pm

TBpup wrote:If the Knicks and Raptors are on this list, it has officially turned into the clown show and LA was full of $4!t the entire time. What a clown show if he went there.

New York, yes. Toronto not so much. If the Raps kept their core and it remained healthy with LA that's a tough unit.

Jonas V - Aldridge - DeRozan - Ross - Lowry with A Johnson, Pat Patterson, J Johnson and a couple of veteran FA pickups would be a strong team in the Leastern Conference.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,164

Post#20 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:36 pm

zzaj wrote:He's doing exactly what I would be doing if I were him. Why wouldn't he check out every team that was interested?

Well said. It is all part of the process. Too early to get worked up about his decision, although I'll admit I've been a little numb since Batum was traded.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers