Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,531

Re: Game 51: Portland vs. Toronto 7:00PM KGW 

Post#81 » by zzaj » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:10 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
zzaj wrote:
Fitz303 wrote:Our 3 best scorers are guards (2 PGs and a SG). All of them, below average defenders. Our front court is an absolute joke. Can we please move one of our scorers (along with Leonard), and upgrade our Center position? I get that people want spacing, but guys like Lillard will have a lot more space at the 3 point line if there's a man in the post who actually commands any bit of attention

If only we could put Leonard's outside shooting into Plumlee...

I've had it with 7 foot doofus (what's the plural of doofus?) that gun up threes. Forget about putting Leonard's shooting into Plumlee; put Davis's tenacity into Meyers....but since that won't happen, put Meyers in a plane leaving town

Let's be realistic here! :lol: Meyers and tenacity are like oil and water. It'd be much easier to give Plumlee a 15' jump shot.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#82 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:16 am

Downtown wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:I've had it with 7 foot doofus (what's the plural of doofus?) that gun up threes. Forget about putting Leonard's shooting into Plumlee; put Davis's tenacity into Meyers....but since that won't happen, put Meyers in a plane leaving town

You sure don't hide your feelings about Leonard, do you? :D

they haven't changed much in 4 seasons. What has changed is the worry that Olshey will re-sign him in 5 months

Oden2 wrote:I wonder if Meyers's price tag has come down at all at this point. Of course with the new cba it'd probably only take 20 good games at the end of the season for someone to pay stupid money for him.

it's entirely possible. He had less then that at the end of last season and if you believe Jason Quick, Olshey offered him as "sunstantial" contract. Thankfully, Meyers turned it down
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,832

Post#83 » by The Sebastian Express » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:19 am

Moonbeam wrote:1448 posts it is for the Raptors.

Tough loss. Portland couldn't eat into the lead enough to make Toronto uncomfortable.

WHEN IS THE NEXT LOTTERY? I HAVE THE TOUCH.
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,832

Post#84 » by The Sebastian Express » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:22 am

By-the-skin-of-your-teeth shortfall!
zzaj
General Manager

Post#85 » by zzaj » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:27 am

GreenRiddler wrote:Man, AC is gonna cost a lot this summer. I really like him here, but I don't wanna pay north of 11mill a year. I mean Terrence Ross (Who straight up sucks) got 11 a year.

Crabbe chose a poor time (for the Blazers) to start showing growth as a player. As we've been discussing, Portland has some tough decisions that need to be made starting now re: Guards. CJ's contract is going to get less valuable the closer he comes to his FA. IMO, Crabbe's ceiling looks more like an average starting SG type than a 6th man, instant offense type (a la CJ)...I'm willing to bet someone gives him 11mill+...even though CJ seems cemented in the starting role, would Crabbe actually be better there? What's Henderson's role in all this? He's obviously being showcased as off the bench help to up his value for a contender...is there a sliver of a chance he actually resigns with Portland? It would be very Olshey to let Crabbe walk and then try and sign Henderson at a bargain.

Like many others here, I believe Olshey does absolutely nothing unless it falls in his lap...and time is certainly ticking on these decisions.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#86 » by zzaj » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:35 am

Oden2 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
zzaj wrote:
If only we could put Leonard's outside shooting into Plumlee...

I've had it with 7 foot doofus (what's the plural of doofus?) that gun up threes. Forget about putting Leonard's shooting into Plumlee; put Davis's tenacity into Meyers....but since that won't happen, put Meyers in a plane leaving town

I wonder if Meyers's price tag has come down at all at this point. Of course with the new cba it'd probably only take 20 good games at the end of the season for someone to pay stupid money for him.

People get crazy over 7' players...it really wouldn't suprise me if someone overpays him--hopefully it's just not Olshey. This season he's shown that he has the slowest release in the league and that he is only capable of playing mediocre defense against players that put up 56/12 in 46 minutes the night before. He shouldn't even be getting Ed Davis money.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#87 » by Brandon-Clyde » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:36 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:1448 posts it is for the Raptors.

Tough loss. Portland couldn't eat into the lead enough to make Toronto uncomfortable.

WHEN IS THE NEXT LOTTERY? I HAVE THE TOUCH.

Save it for the draft lottery(unless I get a cut :D )
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#88 » by Dame Lizard » Fri Feb 5, 2016 10:07 am

Plumlee has been a shot blocking machine over these last 5 games averaging 2.4 bpg. That's what I want to see!

If we pay Meyers big money this offseason, I'll cry internally and likely externally as well.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#89 » by Dame Lizard » Fri Feb 5, 2016 10:13 am

I agree that AC is going to get paid this summer, I just hope it's not ludacris. I'd definitely pay $11M for him given this current cap. I think he'll get a bigger offer than that though, which does scare me.

Ah well, it proves Olshey is an amazing drafter- which is why we need to keep our pick!
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#90 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:05 pm

Dame Lizard wrote:I agree that AC is going to get paid this summer, I just hope it's not ludacris. I'd definitely pay $11M for him given this current cap. I think he'll get a bigger offer than that though, which does scare me.

I think generically, 11 million is right on the edge of being too much. And going by last summer, then projecting how crazy it will probably be for the next couple of off-seasons, Crabbe could easily get more. GM's and owners always talk financial restraint, but then when free agency starts, several always go off the rails dragging others with them. I didn't think Batum was going to get more then 9 million a year, then David Kahn made sure he got 11.5; I thought Wesley Matthews was out to lunch saying he was worth 15 million/year, and then he ends up getting 17.5 million....coming off an achilles rupture... :o

Danny Green, a true 3&D type, got 10 million/year under a 70 million cap. But he's a Spur and they always seem to re-sign their own players on significantly discounted contracts. Their players don't even seem to go out and get any competing offers

So easily, Crabbe can get more then 11 million/year, even though he's not really that good a 3&D guy since he's not very good defensively and he's only a 37.7% three point shooter this season....which is right around his career average.

What Crabbe does very well is shoot mid-range shots. That has some good value. On the other hand, Crabbe doesn't create offense for himself or others. His 84% assisted FG rate is one of the highest in the league. And his assist rate ranks 111th among 133 qualified NBA wings. And among those wings, he ranks 107th in rebound rate. Further, he ranks 97th among NBA guards in FT Rate

so, assuming Portland did get him at 11 million/ year, they'd be buying a scoring guard that does a poor job of creating his own offense or getting to the FT line, rarely creates offense for others, is a weak rebounder, and is a well below average defender. He's not a one-trick pony but many of the tricks he does perform, he doesn't do well. Yeah, I know that's likely too harsh an evaluation, but it is kind of useful to actually compare what Crabbe is doing to other wings in the league when you're talking about potentially giving him a 50 million dollar contract. Maybe the best thing is that he's the bird-in-the-hand and appears to do well in the Stotts offense. But it sure seems there's the potential for a serious overpay under those conditions

Dame Lizard wrote:Plumlee has been a shot blocking machine over these last 5 games averaging 2.4 bpg. That's what I want to see!

If we pay Meyers big money this offseason, I'll cry internally and likely externally as well.

I wasn't as turned off by Plumlee's rim-protection ability as you were. He does some things well but he's certainly not a defensive force, even with a spike in blocks. The clock is ticking on him...he only has one more season on his rookie deal. I suppose Plumlee is an OK place-holder at C till somebody better comes along, but dominant defensive C's are kind of rare

as for re-signing meyers, yeah, that scares me too. You mentioned Olshey's drafting acumen. Well, he did draft Meyers, but even great drafters are going to buy a clunker every now and then. Probably unavoidable. But keep in mind another component of Olshey's history in Portland:

* he made a max offer to Roy Hibbert that quickly became an albatross contract
* he drafted Meyers
* he spent essentially 4 2nd round picks and cap-space on TRob
* he made the max offer he could to Spenser Hawes, and that ended up a bad contract
* he made a big push for Greg Monroe and the Bucks are already trying to dump him
* he made a max offer to Enes Kanter that nobody in OKC is pleased about matching
* according to Quick, Olshey made a "considerable" offer. Considering the contracts given out last summer, that's scary

so, while he may be a great drafter, his judgement on big men is really questionable. That in mind, it would be a relief is meyers was traded before the deadline, Then no worries this summer, but that's very unlikely
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#91 » by monopoman » Sat Feb 6, 2016 5:44 am

I think looking at those offers at the time they made more sense, I mean when we made the max offer to Roy Hibbert, I didn't see a single person on RealGM.com question that offer everyone here was hoping that Indiana wouldn't match the offer. I mean we are just in a time where nearly every noteworthy big man is going bust, look at Dwight Howard he was a can't miss superstar center back in 2010 or so and now some say he isn't even close to worth a max contract.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#92 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Feb 6, 2016 4:24 pm

monopoman wrote:I think looking at those offers at the time they made more sense, I mean when we made the max offer to Roy Hibbert, I didn't see a single person on RealGM.com question that offer everyone here was hoping that Indiana wouldn't match the offer. I mean we are just in a time where nearly every noteworthy big man is going bust, look at Dwight Howard he was a can't miss superstar center back in 2010 or so and now some say he isn't even close to worth a max contract.

I didn't like the offer much at the time. IIRC, I thought Hibbert was overrated because of Indiana's team defense. He was/is a slow plodding C that had never shot over 50%, carried a relatively high usage rate, and was only an average rebounder considering his size. I thought Portland already played at a glacial pace and Hibbert would make it worse

besides all that, posters here aren't getting paid 2 million a year and have a staff of scouts to help make these kind of decisions. It's hindsight, but that is the only effective way to evaluate his job performance. You can't dismiss the significance of bad decisions because they seemed ok at the time.
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Post#93 » by Moonbeam » Mon Feb 8, 2016 10:43 am

TMC update:

The Raps board put up a monstrous 1448 posts.

TSE used sorcery to predict 1457 posts, and earns 3 points!
B-C predicted 1001 posts, and earns 2 points.
DBR predicted 945 posts, and earns 1 point.

Updated TMC standings:

1. Brandon-Clyde: 48 points
1. Moonbeam: 48 points
3. Dame Lizard: 33 points
4. The Sebastian Express: 29 points
5. DeBlazerRiddim: 20 points
6. iceman1685: 7 points
7. a_sensei: 3 points
7. bhelser1981: 3 points
7. Oden2: 3 points
7. Oneluckbox: 3 points

Return to Portland Trail Blazers