ImageImage

Should Blazers trade CJ?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Re: Should Blazers trade CJ? 

Post#161 » by jbent87 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Any thoughts on something like Okafor/Stauskas/Kings unprotected 2019 1st for CJ+Harkless(or filler)? I figure Okafor for CJ alone doesn't get it done, so it would take somewhat of an overpay from our end. I'm sure the value of the 2019 unprotected pick makes it more valuable for POR but not sure how likely you guys would be to break up a really good thing in Dame/CJ for a 2019 payoff.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,158

Post#162 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:17 pm

jbent87 wrote:Any thoughts on something like Okafor/Stauskas/Kings unprotected 2019 1st for CJ+Harkless(or filler)? I figure Okafor for CJ alone doesn't get it done, so it would take somewhat of an overpay from our end. I'm sure the value of the 2019 unprotected pick makes it more valuable for POR but not sure how likely you guys would be to break up a really good thing in Dame/CJ for a 2019 payoff.

We really like Harkless, and he's a RFA, so he is not filler.

I don't see Portland and Philly being great trading partners. Okafor is a major offensive talent but I think we need an elite defensive center if we want to take the next step and eventually win anything. I'm trying to think of the last championship won with a center who was good offensively but bad defensively.

So value-wise, sure it might be fair, but its not a direction I want to go.
jbent87
Veteran

Post#163 » by jbent87 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:24 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
jbent87 wrote:Any thoughts on something like Okafor/Stauskas/Kings unprotected 2019 1st for CJ+Harkless(or filler)? I figure Okafor for CJ alone doesn't get it done, so it would take somewhat of an overpay from our end. I'm sure the value of the 2019 unprotected pick makes it more valuable for POR but not sure how likely you guys would be to break up a really good thing in Dame/CJ for a 2019 payoff.

I don't see Portland and Philly being great trading partners. Okafor is a major offensive talent but I think we need an elite defensive center if we want to take the next step and eventually win anything. I'm trying to think of the last championship won with a center who was good offensively but bad defensively.

gotcha, thanks for the response. I haven't seen a lot of Blazers games, so wasn't sure how you guys felt about Moe. With us adding Simmons in this draft and now it appears Saric is 99.9% coming over, we are desperate for a lights out shooting SG to stretch the floor for the bigs and the aforementioned Point Forward guys. Can understand your desire to hold onto him.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#164 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:26 pm

jbent87 wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:

gotcha, thanks for the response. I haven't seen a lot of Blazers games, so wasn't sure how you guys felt about Moe. With us adding Simmons in this draft and now it appears Saric is 99.9% coming over, we are desperate for a lights out shooting SG to stretch the floor for the bigs and the aforementioned Point Forward guys. Can understand your desire to hold onto him.

While I personally would love to see Moe grow into a 'lights out shooting SG' (he would be a huge mismatch at the position!), you may be confusing him with our other RFA, Crabbe. Moe is more of a "jack of all trades" type forward at the moment.
jbent87
Veteran

Post#165 » by jbent87 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
jbent87 wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:

While I personally would love to see Moe grow into a 'lights out shooting SG' (he would be a huge mismatch at the position!), you may be confusing him with our other RFA, Crabbe. Moe is more of a "jack of all trades" type forward at the moment.

Oh I know, I was referencing CJ in the 2nd part of that response. I was just saying about Moe that I didn't realize he was more than filler and also a RFA. Should've clarified that better.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#166 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:40 pm

jbent87 wrote:Oh I know, I was referencing CJ in the 2nd part of that response. I was just saying about Moe that I didn't realize he was more than filler and also a RFA. Should've clarified that better.

Oh haha of course, I should have known.

The combo I would be most interested in would be a Noel+Saric for CJ + something (player/pick combo, probably including Davis as he gives you a defensive PF to replace Noel) to make up some value for Philly but other Philly fans don't seem to have much interest in this (I don't blame em, it's what I want not what I think is most fair)

I could also see something around our future Cleveland pick plus filler for 24 and/or 26 to get us into the draft this year and spread out your picks.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#167 » by d-train » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Size is not what makes a good backcourt. I would rather have talent than a particular size (big or small). I would like to see how good a Lillard and CJ backcourt could be with a more talented frontcourt.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#168 » by Soulyss » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:50 pm

d-train wrote:Size is not what makes a good backcourt. I would rather have talent than a particular size (big or small). I would like to see how good a Lillard and CJ backcourt could be with a more talented frontcourt.

Agreed, length helps.. but I don't think anyone complains about Chris Paul's defense... and he's no giant.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#169 » by Village Idiot » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:20 pm

I am one of the few here who is positive to a trade centered around CJ for Okafor, with the caveat that the Sixers should add value, which you do here. As Mo can't be included let's simplify it Okafor and the 2019 unprotected Kings 1st for CJ. I would also be interested in including the Cleveland first for the #24
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin

Return to Portland Trail Blazers