ImageImage

Allen Crabbe finally get offer

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Re: Allen Crabbe finally get offer 

Post#41 » by Soulyss » Fri Jul 8, 2016 4:30 pm

Downtown wrote:I know we shouldn't blindly accept rumours, but it did say that Crabbe wants to be a starter, which he certainly wouldn't be with the Blazers.

I think you can safely assume most NBA players believe they should be starters. Egos are not lacking :lol:
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#42 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jul 8, 2016 4:50 pm

Soulyss wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:LMFAO, what a no brainer, sign Festus for 7.3 mil per and let Crabbe go - adios crabby

I just don't think it's as simple as you guys are making this out to be. I expect the Blazers to work the phones like crazy to see if they can get a quality PF for CJ. CJ's extension is going to make this look like chump change... we're talking 24-25 Million per with the new cap. If you could get a young PF who could be an all-star (Guy like Parker, Aaron Gordon, Porzingis, etc..) who is still on a cheap contract I think you have to look at that and keep Crabbe.

Even (I know you guys will hate this). Kevin Love... Love makes 21M next year.. which in this new market is very reasonable... would you rather have Love + Crabbe making 39-40M or CJ making 25?

I just hope that NeO makes the right choice, that ET contact knocked my faith down a peg.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I have a real hard time imagining Olshey choosing Crabbe over CJ
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#43 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Jul 8, 2016 5:12 pm

I sure hope Olshey does not match this offer. Crabbe disappeared during last season, then reappeared late in the playoffs. His defense is horribly overrated. I wonder if he can even manage starter minutes with the frequency in which he fouls.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Soulyss
General Manager

Post#44 » by Soulyss » Fri Jul 8, 2016 5:49 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:I sure hope Olshey does not match this offer. Crabbe disappeared during last season, then reappeared late in the playoffs. His defense is horribly overrated. I wonder if he can even manage starter minutes with the frequency in which he fouls.

I think that is something you learn with a starting role, I suspect his over-aggressiveness was simply a product of his minutes.
Soulyss
General Manager

Post#45 » by Soulyss » Fri Jul 8, 2016 5:50 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
Soulyss wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:LMFAO, what a no brainer, sign Festus for 7.3 mil per and let Crabbe go - adios crabby

I just don't think it's as simple as you guys are making this out to be. I expect the Blazers to work the phones like crazy to see if they can get a quality PF for CJ. CJ's extension is going to make this look like chump change... we're talking 24-25 Million per with the new cap. If you could get a young PF who could be an all-star (Guy like Parker, Aaron Gordon, Porzingis, etc..) who is still on a cheap contract I think you have to look at that and keep Crabbe.

Even (I know you guys will hate this). Kevin Love... Love makes 21M next year.. which in this new market is very reasonable... would you rather have Love + Crabbe making 39-40M or CJ making 25?

I just hope that NeO makes the right choice, that ET contact knocked my faith down a peg.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I have a real hard time imagining Olshey choosing Crabbe over CJ

Yeah I am not in love with it either.. but would you rather have say... Porzingis & Crabbe? Gordon & Crabbe? I don't think it's clear cut.

EDIT: That said, I don't think it's LIKELY... but I suspect that is what he will be doing the next 3 days.
Blazer50
Head Coach
And1: 759

Post#46 » by Blazer50 » Fri Jul 8, 2016 7:01 pm

The reason to pass on Allen Crabbe is obvious. The Blazers may have just been bluffing when they said they would match even if the numbers were $15 to $17M. Should $19 to $21M change their mind? Probably, but there is more to consider.

Neil Olshey has referred to the Acquisition Phase of development - which is when talent is stockpiled that can ultimately be used in a major deal. The Trade Kicker in this Offer is the real crippler IMO. If we trade for a $19M player and use Crabbe - It goes onto the new team as a $21M deal. If we did match - we would be getting an arguably starting talent at a premium price, The idea is to collect as many guys with special skills which Crabbe has. And, the question is who is out there that brings his upside that the Blazers can acquire with a trade or sign with Crabbe's $2.75M cap hold. I don't see anyone with his upside that brings known skill that Stott's system requires - and might be attractive in a trade for a Big 3 chip. We can fill the gap and look to capture the next Allen Crabbe in the draft - but that just dilutes one's options. It might be better to have the real Allen Crabbe and look to pick up draft pick to fill a newer need rather than taking the step back.

Still its a ton of cash I would not like to have to make this decision with PA's money. But this was the summer the Blazers had to make a move since we will be strapped with our Free Agent signings over the next few season. That goal seems much brighter today than it did 3 days ago!! Keep up the good work and In Olshey we Trust.

And Free agency treats Portland like a an adage from an old movie - when the star looks at the young buck and declares
"Your money's no good here!" Here in the NW we know we have to Grow our Own.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#47 » by mojomarc » Fri Jul 8, 2016 8:00 pm

I'm probably on the high end of the "Crabbe Lover" scale. I really like the energy he brings on both ends, and think he was a great sparkplug off the bench. That said, at this price you can't let sentimentalism rule. It's just too bad the Nets have traded all of their draft picks for the next millennium, as we probably could have worked out a sign and trade before the offer sheet if they had any substance to trade back. After all, it wasn't any great secret that they wanted AC.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#48 » by DusterBuster » Fri Jul 8, 2016 9:06 pm

mojomarc wrote:I'm probably on the high end of the "Crabbe Lover" scale. I really like the energy he brings on both ends, and think he was a great sparkplug off the bench. That said, at this price you can't let sentimentalism rule. It's just too bad the Nets have traded all of their draft picks for the next millennium, as we probably could have worked out a sign and trade before the offer sheet if they had any substance to trade back. After all, it wasn't any great secret that they wanted AC.

They had a ton of cap space, no real incentive for them to work a S&T.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
PTPaQ
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#49 » by PTPaQ » Fri Jul 8, 2016 9:09 pm

Soulyss wrote:

Man if Porzingis was on the table for McCollum straight up I'd be all over that!
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#50 » by DusterBuster » Fri Jul 8, 2016 10:30 pm

Ben McLemore is available via trade right now according to Marc Stein. If the Blazers let Crabbe walk, I'd love to grab him. Think he could be a good value grab as one of those young guys in a crap situation. Wouldn't give up much for him, but if he's a 2nd rounder type guy, that'd be cool.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#51 » by Blazinaway » Fri Jul 8, 2016 10:31 pm

PTPaQ wrote:
Soulyss wrote:

Man if Porzingis was on the table for McCollum straight up I'd be all over that!

Frankly if you want to keep Crabbe then you trade CJ for Okafor, thats 3 yrs of low salary production. Then if you want you can get one yr of Tyreke Evans for Plumlee or a draft pick or someone else
PTPaQ
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#52 » by PTPaQ » Fri Jul 8, 2016 11:01 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
PTPaQ wrote:
Soulyss wrote:

Frankly if you want to keep Crabbe then you trade CJ for Okafor, thats 3 yrs of low salary production. Then if you want you can get one yr of Tyreke Evans for Plumlee or a draft pick or someone else

Yeah, financially it may be a smooth way to operate, I just wouldnt be as jumpy for Okafor as I would be for Porzingas. Okafor is a hell of a talent though, I would probably ask for more though. Porzingas is on another level.
jeffhardyfan52
General Manager
And1: 596

Post#53 » by jeffhardyfan52 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 4:30 am

What times the dead line to match or not match?
He’s not (my-vydas), he’s not (your-vydas), he’s Arvydas

Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#54 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Jul 9, 2016 4:56 am

jeffhardyfan52 wrote:What times the dead line to match or not match?

well, the news came in on Thursday afternoon, so time-wise, 3 days would make it Sunday afternoon. However, I think technically, it's from when the Blazers officially receive the offer sheet and we probably don't know when that was. It could have been this morning pushing the deadline out to Monday morning
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#55 » by PDXKnight » Sat Jul 9, 2016 5:11 pm

Any word on what Portland is thinking on this one?
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#56 » by Fitz303 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 5:58 pm

One thing that has me thinking that they do match, is the upcoming CBA negotiations. If they feel confident that an amnesty clause will once again be implemented (likely), maybe they take the chance on Crabbe, hoping that he continues to improve, and if he doesn't/money gets tight, they amnesty him.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#57 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Jul 9, 2016 6:14 pm

DusterBuster wrote:Ben McLemore is available via trade right now according to Marc Stein. If the Blazers let Crabbe walk, I'd love to grab him. Think he could be a good value grab as one of those young guys in a crap situation. Wouldn't give up much for him, but if he's a 2nd rounder type guy, that'd be cool.

the problem with a Mclemore trade is that the Blazers are out of cap-space unless they renounce one of Harkless/Meyers. Even if Portland does not match Crabbe, they'd only create 2.75 million in space while Mclemore's salary is 4 million. And, IIRC, if you combine space + a player, you only get to credit salary + space + 100K, not the 150% trade credit.

so in order to trade for him, the Blazers would have to package either Plumlee or Vonleh plus one of Connaughton/Montero

.....unless I'm reading the CBA wrong, which is easily possible
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#58 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Jul 9, 2016 6:16 pm

Fitz303 wrote:One thing that has me thinking that they do match, is the upcoming CBA negotiations. If they feel confident that an amnesty clause will once again be implemented (likely), maybe they take the chance on Crabbe, hoping that he continues to improve, and if he doesn't/money gets tight, they amnesty him.

I think there will either be a lockout or a strike, maybe both. But there's still a decent chance that both sides won't want to upset the TV money applecart. If not, the Blazers could be screwed
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#59 » by Fitz303 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 6:20 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
Fitz303 wrote:One thing that has me thinking that they do match, is the upcoming CBA negotiations. If they feel confident that an amnesty clause will once again be implemented (likely), maybe they take the chance on Crabbe, hoping that he continues to improve, and if he doesn't/money gets tight, they amnesty him.

I think there will either be a lockout or a strike, maybe both. But there's still a decent chance that both sides won't want to upset the TV money applecart. If not, the Blazers could be screwed

Agreed. I'm still in the camp of "let him go", but I'm just trying to wrap my head around the idea of how they'd justify the match, if that's what they decide to do
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#60 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Jul 9, 2016 6:25 pm

Fitz303 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

Agreed. I'm still in the camp of "let him go", but I'm just trying to wrap my head around the idea of how they'd justify the match, if that's what they decide to do

yeah, I'm not going to bother justifying a match if it happens. I don't think there's any logical justification for matching a stupid offer sheet. In my view it would just be a case of Olshey and/or Paul Allen egos overwhelming logic and common sense

Return to Portland Trail Blazers