ImageImage

2017 Draft Day and Rumors Thread.

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,405

Re: 2017 Draft Prospects and Discussion Thread 

Post#861 » by Blazinaway » Tue May 23, 2017 1:07 am

ZZAJ, check out his range from 3 in this vid where he went 7/7 from 3 in one game, and his range is big time

zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,521

Post#862 » by zzaj » Tue May 23, 2017 1:12 am

Blazinaway wrote:ZZAJ, check out his range from 3 in this vid where he went 7/7 from 3 in one game, and his range is big time

Yeah, his shooting range is what separates him from many others in the second round. I fully expect him to end up in the first round on draft day. Why he's expected to go so low is a complete mystery to me. I think he's a much better prospect than Rabb, for example...
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#863 » by Blazinaway » Tue May 23, 2017 1:24 am

zzaj wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:ZZAJ, check out his range from 3 in this vid where he went 7/7 from 3 in one game, and his range is big time

Yeah, his shooting range is what separates him from many others in the second round. I fully expect him to end up in the first round on draft day. Why he's expected to go so low is a complete mystery to me. I think he's a much better prospect than Rabb, for example...

I agree with you, looks like a really good stretch 4 prospect with some good athleticism and height/wingspan/movement as well. Seems like a Stotts type and a "potential" great fit next to NurK and off the bench, given the league he plays in who knows about his D? but he looks to have the talent to play some at least decent D and you just can't have enough of that shooting ability the way the league is going. And since it appears he's going late 1st at best at this time, how can you not take a shot at a guy like this?
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,843

Post#864 » by Norm2953 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:16 am

Is Bolden the same guy who had an indifferent season at UCLA?
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#865 » by Blazinaway » Tue May 23, 2017 2:19 am

Norm2953 wrote:Is Bolden the same guy who had an indifferent season at UCLA?

yep, in a interview said he got distracted coming to LA and was basically immature, didn't work out well and he went to Serbia and matured a lot
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#866 » by Goldbum » Tue May 23, 2017 3:36 am

Is Bolden's 7'4" wingspan legit?
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#867 » by Blazinaway » Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 am

Goldbum wrote:Is Bolden's 7'4" wingspan legit?

seems to be what he's often quoted at but I haven't seen anything "official"
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#868 » by Norm2953 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:11 pm

Chad Ford has a new draft board with mostly the usual list of names but with newcomers
like Jeanne, Diallo and Frank Jackson. As far as the bigs go, he still has John Collins as his
next best big after Zach Collins follwed in a group of Allen, Anigbogu, Patton and Adebayo.

Interesting the combine testing downgrades Anigbogu who tested below average as an
athlete and Allen is being downgraded from his interviews. It's clear those pre-draft
workouts will be critical as far as determining the pecking order amongst the bigs.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#869 » by Waynearchetype » Tue May 23, 2017 5:14 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Chad Ford has a new draft board with mostly the usual list of names but with newcomers
like Jeanne, Diallo and Frank Jackson. As far as the bigs go, he still has John Collins as his
next best big after Zach Collins follwed in a group of Allen, Anigbogu, Patton and Adebayo.

Interesting the combine testing downgrades Anigbogu who tested below average as an
athlete and Allen is being downgraded from his interviews. It's clear those pre-draft
workouts will be critical as far as determining the pecking order amongst the bigs.

Weird, seemed to me Anigbogu shot up on DXs rank after the combine and his insane wingspan. Of everyone after Zach, I think I like Patton the best.

Big guy, flashes some range, well rounded.
BigLurch92
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#870 » by BigLurch92 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Portland should do whatever it takes to get OG Anunoby.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#871 » by Norm2953 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:44 pm

Waynearchetype wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Chad Ford has a new draft board with mostly the usual list of names but with newcomers

Weird, seemed to me Anigbogu shot up on DXs rank after the combine and his insane wingspan. Of everyone after Zach, I think I like Patton the best.

Patton though tested out as a below average athlete with slow feet. Anigbogu did not test out above average athletically but more of a power player. Allen was downgraded from interviews.
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#872 » by Blazinaway » Tue May 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Norm2953 wrote:
Waynearchetype wrote:

Patton though tested out as a below average athlete with slow feet. Anigbogu did not test out above average athletically but more of a power player. Allen was downgraded from interviews.

I am starting to "lean to Jeanne" here as a C pick
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#873 » by Norm2953 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:58 pm

BigLurch92 wrote:Portland should do whatever it takes to get OG Anunoby.

Team physicals like in the case of Giles will determine where he is drafted. He might really drop if he has to miss his rookie season from a torn ACL
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man

Post#874 » by Waynearchetype » Tue May 23, 2017 6:02 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:
Waynearchetype wrote:Weird, seemed to me Anigbogu shot up on DXs rank after the combine and his insane wingspan. Of everyone after Zach, I think I like Patton the best.

I remain unconvinced that combine athletic testing is a useful indicator for NBA success. Looking back through prior years it's 90% guys that aren't drafted, flame out within a few years, or are mediocre at best.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#875 » by Norm2953 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:15 pm

I remember back to the 2013 draft where the Blazers opted for the athlete (Meyers) over the guy who was more ready play (Tyler Zeller). It turned out neither was the answer but these workout warriors need to weighed against the guys who are more likely to play.
BigLurch92
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#876 » by BigLurch92 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:00 am

Norm2953 wrote:
BigLurch92 wrote:Portland should do whatever it takes to get OG Anunoby.

Team physicals like in the case of Giles will determine where he is drafted. He might really drop if he has to miss his rookie season from a torn ACL

That is true. I feel that he has high defensive potential which would do great wonder for this team.
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#877 » by Blazinaway » Wed May 24, 2017 5:36 pm

Waynearchetype wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:

I remain unconvinced that combine athletic testing is a useful indicator for NBA success. Looking back through prior years it's 90% guys that aren't drafted, flame out within a few years, or are mediocre at best.

I think it's good to know as a "part" of the evaluation process, but in no way is it more important than skill and how a guy has played and how he might project
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#878 » by Village Idiot » Wed May 24, 2017 9:07 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
zzaj wrote:

I agree with you, looks like a really good stretch 4 prospect with some good athleticism and height/wingspan/movement as well. Seems like a Stotts type and a "potential" great fit next to NurK and off the bench, given the league he plays in who knows about his D? but he looks to have the talent to play some at least decent D and you just can't have enough of that shooting ability the way the league is going. And since it appears he's going late 1st at best at this time, how can you not take a shot at a guy like this?
Thanks for turning me on to Bolden. He had been flying under my radar. Looks like very solid pick-up.

Considering this young guy is not just surviving but thriving in Serbia says a lot about his fortitude. They don't F around when it comes to basketball and are not kind to blacks. My son played against Red Star Belgrade and they were extremely well rounded and physical players who also knew all the dirty tricks in the book.

This guy could even be a steal at 15. He seems to tick all the boxes in what we're looking for in a PF.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man

Post#879 » by Waynearchetype » Wed May 24, 2017 9:31 pm

Village Idiot wrote:Thanks for turning me on to Bolden. He had been flying under my radar. Looks like very solid pick-up.

Considering this young guy is not just surviving but thriving in Serbia says a lot about his fortitude. They don't F around when it comes to basketball and are not kind to blacks. My son played against Red Star Belgrade and they were extremely well rounded and physical players who also knew all the dirty tricks in the book.

This guy could even be a steal at 15. He seems to tick all the boxes in what we're looking for in a PF.

Hey man, I know you meant no offense and this isn't a big deal but I thought I'd just mention it for future reference incase someone gets on your case later in life. It is a little awkward in modern vernacular to refer to black people as "blacks", particularly because when people talk about "whites" they say "white people". "Black people" fits the bill just fine. Just adding "people" seems to imply a bit more respect to an unfortunately still touchy subject.

As for Bolden, he is projected as a mid round 2nd right?
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#880 » by Blazinaway » Wed May 24, 2017 9:53 pm

Waynearchetype wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:Thanks for turning me on to Bolden. He had been flying under my radar. Looks like very solid pick-up.

Hey man, I know you meant no offense and this isn't a big deal but I thought I'd just mention it for future reference incase someone gets on your case later in life. It is a little awkward in modern vernacular to refer to black people as "blacks", particularly because when people talk about "whites" they say "white people". "Black people" fits the bill just fine. Just adding "people" seems to imply a bit more respect to an unfortunately still touchy subject.

As for Bolden, he is projected as a mid round 2nd right?

if he's on a draft list at all 2nd rd is all I have seen "so far"

Return to Portland Trail Blazers