ImageImage

Brook Lopez

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Pdx4life
Freshman
And1: 23

Brook Lopez 

Post#1 » by Pdx4life » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:20 pm

This is all predicated on Nurkic being able to play the 4, but it's obvious that Brook Lopez is available. The Nets want two first round picks, which most likely won't happen, but the Blazers could theoretically offer the Griz and Cavs picks since they are late in the round. Or, the Nets were obviously interested in Crabbe last year so could something be worked out for Crabbe + Cavs pick for Lopez + a solid player?

Nurkic could make up for Lopez's weak defense and rebounding and Lopez's offense is exactly what the Blazers need next to Nurkic (although a PF might be a better fit). I know PF might not be ideal for Nurkic but I have seen him D up and block Blake Griffin. I do think he's pretty nimble for his size so it might work. I think it would be pretty interesting to have two 7 footers in the paint if they could play together.

I think the Nets will have to come off their requirement for two first round picks for Lopez. I just don't think he can command that anymore. Maybe the Blazers could take advantage? Would you want him?
Pdx4life
Freshman

Re: Brook Lopez 

Post#2 » by Pdx4life » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:24 pm

These are some of the solid players I wouldn't mind seeing on the Blazers if we had to send Crabbe:

Trevor Booker
Randy Foye
Sean Kilpatrick
RHJ
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#3 » by Fitz303 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:26 pm

Well first, welcome to the boards...

As for Lopez at Center and Nurkic at PF. Denver tried that with Nurkic and Jokic. It failed miserably. I don't mind Lopez, but I think the Blazers need to focus more on stretch PFs
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#4 » by Brandon-Clyde » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:27 pm

No, just no. Brook Lopez doesn't defend and is a terrible rebounder receiving over $20 million per year. Nurkic has also apparently said he doesn't want to play pf according to some posters so forget that idea. The only way I would approve a trade for Brook Lopez is Crabbe+ Ezeli simply to get out of Crabbe's contract sooner. I would then immediately turn around and trade Lopez for a pair of 2nds or late first in a future draft for more cap relief
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#5 » by Waynearchetype » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:37 pm

I don't think we'll want to pay what Lopez will cost. The Blazers need cheap talent to try to offset some of these contracts. I think draft picks have a higher value to us than they normally would.
Pdx4life
Freshman

Post#6 » by Pdx4life » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:56 pm

I've actually been on the boards for 10+ years but just created a new log-in to represent Portland (I moved here from Dallas 4 years ago). I hear what you guys are saying on Lopez. I don't think he's the best answer but you can't deny he can bring a lot to the table. I agree the Crabbe + Ezeli approach. We can't have both Crabbe and Turner on this team with those contracts.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#7 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:37 pm

the math is stacked up against anything like this

even if Olshey hadn't spent like drunk last summer, Portland would not be in a position to afford 3 max contracts. The CBA ratios haven't changed, even though the CBA has. Teams, especially small market teams, won't really be able to carry three max deals for more then a year of two, and rarely even then

Portland has their two max deals in Dame and CJ. Now, I think a very good agument still can be made that with those two similar guards as the two max players, the Blazers will have a ceiling well below that of a contender. Regardless of that argument, the type of roster that would be needed to effectively complement Dame/CJ is fairly specialized; and an extremely expensive high usage C who is average, at best, on defense and a historically weak rebounder, seems like a really poor mesh with that small starting back court
Napoleon7
Senior
And1: 73

Post#8 » by Napoleon7 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:45 pm

Whereas I might be intrigued to see if Lopez twin towers would work in PDX I do not think it advisable to try and team Brook up with Nurkic. Especially with the failed attempts in Denver to have Jokic and Nurkic play together.

Also it is my understanding that Crabbe can not be traded back to Brooklyn for at least a year unless he consents to the trade.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,531

Post#9 » by zzaj » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:52 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
Portland has their two max deals in Dame and CJ. Now, I think a very good agument still can be made that with those two similar guards as the two max players, the Blazers will have a ceiling well below that of a contender. Regardless of that argument, the type of roster that would be needed to effectively complement Dame/CJ is fairly specialized; and an extremely expensive high usage C who is average, at best, on defense and a historically weak rebounder, seems like a really poor mesh with that small starting back court

This very concept got me thinking last night...

Lets say (for the sake of my own and most Blazer fans' irrational fantasy) that Nurkic, because of his own development, Stotts' system, whatever...blows up next season. For the sake of argument lets say he averages 20/12 with a couple of blocks a game.

This would obviously be a good 'problem' to have...but what on earth do the Blazers do then? The Blazers aren't going to be able to function with 3 MAX contracts...At that point are the Blazers forced to chose between Lillard and CJ? Perhaps trading one for a few pieces that will fit around the Guard/Center combo moving forward?

As for the OP query? Nurkic will never work at PF. There are too many hyper athletic, stretch 4s in the league now.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,470

Post#10 » by Pattycakes » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:07 pm

Napoleon7 wrote:Whereas I might be intrigued to see if Lopez twin towers would work in PDX I do not think it advisable to try and team Brook up with Nurkic. Especially with the failed attempts in Denver to have Jokic and Nurkic play together.

Also it is my understanding that Crabbe can not be traded back to Brooklyn for at least a year unless he consents to the trade.

Can't be traded BACK? Whats this mean?
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#11 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:40 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
Napoleon7 wrote:Whereas I might be intrigued to see if Lopez twin towers would work in PDX I do not think it advisable to try and team Brook up with Nurkic. Especially with the failed attempts in Denver to have Jokic and Nurkic play together.

Can't be traded BACK? Whats this mean?

Brooklyn was the team that gave Crabbe the offer sheet that Portland matched

by CBA rule, Crabbe can not be traded to Brooklyn until the 2018-19 off-season starts on July 7 this year

Crabbe's contract also contains a maximum trade kicker (bonus). By CBA rule, because of that kicker, Crabbe can veto any trade during this season, but it's extremely unlikely he would refuse a Bonus of 11 million dollars, no matter where he was being traded
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#12 » by PDXKnight » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:56 pm

I don't want brook personally. It seems like the nets would want us to overpay massively
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#13 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Fitz303 wrote:Well first, welcome to the boards...

As for Lopez at Center and Nurkic at PF. Denver tried that with Nurkic and Jokic. It failed miserably. I don't mind Lopez, but I think the Blazers need to focus more on stretch PFs

I don't think Denver gave Nurkic-Jokic a reasonable shot. They didn't have many high-low post plays, etc. Twin towers can still work in the modern NBA, San Antonio & Memphis have both tended towards twin towers for a long-time. New Orleans is about to try and Utah somewhat starts a version of twin towers.

With that said and considering I am a huge Nurkic fan, I don't think Nurkic would make a good PF. I also don't think Lopez would make a good PF.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#14 » by Fitz303 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:33 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
Fitz303 wrote:Well first, welcome to the boards...

I don't think Denver gave Nurkic-Jokic a reasonable shot. They didn't have many high-low post plays, etc. Twin towers can still work in the modern NBA, San Antonio & Memphis have both tended towards twin towers for a long-time. New Orleans is about to try and Utah somewhat starts a version of twin towers.

With that said and considering I am a huge Nurkic fan, I don't think Nurkic would make a good PF. I also don't think Lopez would make a good PF.

Yeah I just don't see how either of them defend today's PFs all season long. Nurkic is pretty light on his feet, but I still feel that's not playing to his strengths. Adding to the fact that Stotts is the coach, and he loves having a stretch 4, I would prefer to plant Nurkic in the middle and find a guy who can stretch the floor a bit at the PF position
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#15 » by Soulyss » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Pdx4life wrote:This is all predicated on Nurkic being able to play the 4, but it's obvious that Brook Lopez is available.

If Nurkic could play the 4, Denver would have never traded him in the first place. This has already been tried and didn't work.
Blazers98
Junior
And1: 96

Post#16 » by Blazers98 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:49 am

What about this perspective.
Lopez and his contract are shorter than say Turner's bad contract.
Lopez also has more value than Turner.
Is trading a low 1st rounder worth shedding Turner's long term bad contract?
Also, while I am hopeful that Nurkic might become the COTF, I've been disappointed too many times.
Lopez might work well for us. It isn't like we play defense or anything. Maybe just go all offense?
Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone
Zers4Eva
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#17 » by Zers4Eva » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:08 am

I think the only way we trade for Lopez is this summer and only if Nurkic stinks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Portland Trail Blazers