ImageImage

Noah Vonleh

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Re: Noah Vonleh 

Post#21 » by Soulyss » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:15 pm

red_power wrote:Noah is a great athlete.. Unfortunately basketball player he ain't.
His offensive skill set abysmal still. He's clearly undersized for Nba bigman the same time. You can't use him at 4 because he's a gift to opponent's defence there, but he's simply not big enough to be legit center too.
Imo he's not a starting level talent at all.. He may have a decent future in NBA, good back up center like Ed David was last season, but Vonleh still has to put a lot of efforts to become one.
I guess that's a different kind of future you would like to expect from a young bigman you have traded your proven starting wing for.

I don't think you can call Vonleh undersized... His standing reach is the same as Mason Plumlee and he's got a 7'4 wingspan which is monstrous for someone 6'9.. He's also a good vertical jumper for a 6'9 PF so... I'm not buying that argument..

No arguement on the Basketball side... He's a project...we're seeing progress, but will it amount to more than a back of the rotation PF? Time will tell.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#22 » by Goldbum » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:15 am

Wonder what would happen if he didn't play with 2 ball dominant guards. How much more confident would he be if his teammates looked to put him in position to succeed instead of treating him as the token starter?
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#23 » by PDXKnight » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:29 am

Roy The Natural wrote:
Oden2 wrote:Honestly I think his prime could be 12/8/3 which I guess isn't terrible but he doesn't seem consistent enough & hasn't shown nearly enough improvement to show he'll be an all-star caliber player imho.

Oh yea, the all-star shipped sailed a while ago... but I don't think a Taj Gibson level impact is out of the question at some point in his career.

That wouldn't be out of the question no.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#24 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:24 pm

Goldbum wrote:Wonder what would happen if he didn't play with 2 ball dominant guards. How much more confident would he be if his teammates looked to put him in position to succeed instead of treating him as the token starter?

I'm not sure that's a valid way to look at it

to start with, Stotts allowed Aldridge to dominate the ball; so he's not just inclined to give the ball to 'guards'. Another thing is that a big majority of teams give the ball to ball-dominant perimeter players. In fact, that's kind of how basketball works. It's either guards or wings who bring the ball down the court and then facilitate offense; they tend to have better handles with lower dribbles

it's true that Portland rarely runs plays for Vonleh. But arguably, that's on Vonleh. He has the 3rd worst turnover rate on the team and is the worst on the team in assist/turnover ratio; and Layman is the only player with a worse TS%. In other words, Vonleh is the least efficient Blazer on offense; if the goal is to win games, you don't want the ball in Vonleh's hands.

edit: he had a generally good game today. Shot well, rebounded even better, and was aggressive, although he had trouble with Illyasova. The 5 turnovers were rough though
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#25 » by Goldbum » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:20 am

Noah sure looked good tonight. Getting better everyday.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#26 » by Masterfully » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:38 am

Goldbum wrote:Noah sure looked good tonight. Getting better everyday.

Nurkic effect
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#27 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:00 am

I'll admit it...I'd pretty much given up on Vonleh

he's definitely been playing better lately. He still has to file down a lot of rough edges and a few games of good play don't mean he's really turned a corner, but there's a lot more reason to hope he'll 'get it'

the problem is if he continues to improve, and both he and Nurkic become RFA in July 2018, the Blazers absolutely need to shed those 3 bloated contracts
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#28 » by Norm2953 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:10 am

I'd wonder though how much of a contract Noah could expect for honestly, would another
team overpay for Vonleh?

Lookin ahead I can see a role for Turner and perhaps even Crabbe on a Blazers team build around
Dame and Nurkic. I do wonder if the ball pounding, iso game that CJ plays might be a lesser fit
moving forward. A role player like Noah might not be such a bad fit for his role moving forward
is to help Nurkic on the boards and get to spots on the court offensively for his points.

The sore thumb is Meyers for he has no place to play for a healhy Ed Davis is likely the backup
center.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,442

Post#29 » by Myth » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:36 pm

RoyalWun wrote:Why doesn't he get more touches? Do you think it's Stotts or something personal?

I think the main reason is because Vonleh is terrible. I honestly can't comprehend that we started this guy 28 games this season and are still in the playoff hunt. I honestly don't know if there is a worse guy in the NBA that has started that many games this season.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,406

Post#30 » by Blazinaway » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Myth wrote:
RoyalWun wrote:Why doesn't he get more touches? Do you think it's Stotts or something personal?

I think the main reason is because Vonleh is terrible. I honestly can't comprehend that we started this guy 28 games this season and are still in the playoff hunt. I honestly don't know if there is a worse guy in the NBA that has started that many games this season.

I have been down on Noah all year but haven't the past 2-3 games given you hope he is starting to get it? I am not at all convinced but I have to say he's looked a good bit better and I ahve to keep reminding myself he's still 21
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,442

Post#31 » by Myth » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:44 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
Myth wrote:

I have been down on Noah all year but haven't the past 2-3 games given you hope he is starting to get it? I am not at all convinced but I have to say he's looked a good bit better and I ahve to keep reminding myself he's still 21

I don't know what the future holds for him. I hope for his sake he becomes good, and also for our sake if he stays on the Blazers, but I don't think his future is very long on this team. Obviously it is nice that he has had a small streak the past few games, but that sample size is too small for me to have any faith in it. Every player has ups and downs. But the average of those ups and downs this year don't impress me, and I stick with my surprise that we are as good as we are with him getting so many starts (although he doesn't get starter minutes anyway, which is probably why we are still in this).
RoyalWun
Lead Assistant
And1: 471

Post#32 » by RoyalWun » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:41 pm

If he can continue to rebound and have a consistent mid-range jumper then I see him being with us long-term as long as he isn't expensive to keep.
Dammit...:

I've got Nurkic fever now.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,406

Post#33 » by Blazinaway » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:15 pm

Myth wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:
Myth wrote:I think the main reason is because Vonleh is terrible. I honestly can't comprehend that we started this guy 28 games this season and are still in the playoff hunt. I honestly don't know if there is a worse guy in the NBA that has started that many games this season.

I don't know what the future holds for him. I hope for his sake he becomes good, and also for our sake if he stays on the Blazers, but I don't think his future is very long on this team. Obviously it is nice that he has had a small streak the past few games, but that sample size is too small for me to have any faith in it. Every player has ups and downs. But the average of those ups and downs this year don't impress me, and I stick with my surprise that we are as good as we are with him getting so many starts (although he doesn't get starter minutes anyway, which is probably why we are still in this).

I think his stay/leave question will be partially answered buy how he plays the rest of the season and perhaps in the playoffs - can he sustain this past 3 games or does he fall back and become more invisible again? Given how awful Meyers has been Stotts will give him minutes if Noah plays well
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#34 » by Goldbum » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:52 pm

Another good game from Noah last night. 8 and 8 with some great hustle plays. Lead the team in +/-
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#35 » by Dame Lizard » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:34 pm

Vonleh has really stepped up and is playing really nicely.

I think we should trade Ed Davis and try and shed Meyers' contract. I'd be all for trading Aminu as well..... and Turner!!!

Sent from my R7g using RealGM mobile app
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#36 » by Epicurus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:49 pm

Extend Vonleh asap. Get him cheap now. After next season he will be far more expensive. He has evolved into a top notch role player (using "role" here to discriminate from "scorer"). He gives gritty and versatile defense and contested rebounding, with some opportunistic scoring. He was a good midrange to three point line shooter in college and shows a fluid shooting motion. So with his good work ethic, I suspect he will work hard this offseason to apply it better to the pros. Lillard, McCollum, and Nurc are the scorers, good role players should not be shunned.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#37 » by Downtown » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:22 pm

Epicurus wrote:Extend Vonleh asap. Get him cheap now. After next season he will be far more expensive. He has evolved into a top notch role player (using "role" here to discriminate from "scorer"). He gives gritty and versatile defense and contested rebounding, with some opportunistic scoring. He was a good midrange to three point line shooter in college and shows a fluid shooting motion. So with his good work ethic, I suspect he will work hard this offseason to apply it better to the pros. Lillard, McCollum, and Nurc are the scorers, good role players should not be shunned.

I said in another thread that I don't think it's a wise move to give up on Vonleh so early, and he's beginning to come around even if there's still a ways to go to get his consistency and IQ up, so yes I agree that keeping him is a priority. As you mentioned good role players are worth more than people think.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,958

Post#38 » by Tim Lehrbach » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:00 am

Epicurus wrote:Extend Vonleh asap. Get him cheap now. After next season he will be far more expensive. He has evolved into a top notch role player (using "role" here to discriminate from "scorer"). He gives gritty and versatile defense and contested rebounding, with some opportunistic scoring. He was a good midrange to three point line shooter in college and shows a fluid shooting motion. So with his good work ethic, I suspect he will work hard this offseason to apply it better to the pros. Lillard, McCollum, and Nurc are the scorers, good role players should not be shunned.

Huh, I was just thinking about this a few minutes ago and then stumbled upon your post. I wonder if there's a number the Blazers could get to that would tempt Noah. He's gotta believe he hasn't yet shown what he can do, which would give him an incentive to wait until summer '18 to get paid. But locking down that guaranteed money has its own appeal, since his opportunities to stuff the stat sheet will remain limited in Portland and the really big dollars may never come his way.

So, what's a "cheap" extension that is also too much for Vonleh to resist? 4 years, $40 million, like Harkless and Leonard got? It's risky, but I could probably go for that. It's not hard to imagine him earning that deal just by being a consistent version of what he's already doing, let alone if he finds his shot or otherwise develops offensively.

On the other hand, I am not sure there isn't a handful of guys also reasonably suited for this role in the upcoming draft and among the free agent leftovers every year. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush... unless you can have both birds in the push for half the price of the one in your hand. This isn't meant to sell Noah short, rather to remember that plenty of very good role players go ignored or undervalued in the draft and free agency all the time. Of course, a team needs more than one or even two competent bigs, so if the Blazers can retain Vonleh for a nice price and still go out and benefit from market inefficiencies, all the better.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#39 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:33 pm

http://basketball-players.pointafter.com/stories/13303/worst-players-nba?utm_medium=cm&utm_source=outbrain&utm_campaign=mo.cm.ob.dt.10713

So Vonleh finishes #11 on The 25 Absolute Worst NBA Players, but Meyers is nowhere on the list?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 875

Post#40 » by red_power » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:20 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:http://basketball-players.pointafter.com/stories/13303/worst-players-nba?utm_medium=cm&utm_source=outbrain&utm_campaign=mo.cm.ob.dt.10713

So Vonleh finishes #11 on The 25 Absolute Worst NBA Players, but Meyers is nowhere on the list?

There are JaKarr and Steve Blake on that list.. It's severly outdated I guess.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020

Return to Portland Trail Blazers