ImageImage

McCollum wants George

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Re: McCollum wants George 

Post#81 » by Norm2953 » Tue May 9, 2017 4:02 am

He may want him but the only way he'll play with PG is if Portland traded CJ to Indiana.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#82 » by d-train » Tue May 9, 2017 7:02 am

J-RITZ wrote:I would trade ANY player outside of Nurk for PG as long as he commits to a resign. They can have Dame or CJ & all 3 picks if that's the case. If not, then it's only everything outside of Nurk, Dame, & 3J...

Why would PG commit to Blazers unless he was attracted to having Lillard, CJ, and Nurk as teammates? The PG speculation is based on the theory that PG wants to win.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#83 » by monopoman » Tue May 9, 2017 7:19 am

Norm2953 wrote:He may want him but the only way he'll play with PG is if Portland traded CJ to Indiana.

Meh, I don't think we have to part with CJ unless one or two other teams are very eager to get PG also. I mean look at what New Orleans had to give up to get Cousins.
d-train
RealGM

Post#84 » by d-train » Wed May 10, 2017 9:03 pm

Top players around the NBA, such as PG, have to be impressed by Olshey's ability to make great moves to continue to improve his team and Paul Allen's willingness to contribute financially to the process. Right now because of Olshey's demonstrated ability year after year to make great moves and unlimited financial resources, Portland has to now be considered a top destination for players that aren't happy with their current address. Unfortunately, cap room is no longer a tool in Olshey's bag. Unfortunately, when he did have cap room Paul Allen's commitment to spend was not given the credibility it deserved. Unfortunately, the CBA doesn't allow Olshey to lock-in Lillard, CJ, and Nurkic, and still have cap room.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#85 » by GreenRiddler » Wed May 10, 2017 11:27 pm

monopoman wrote:
GreenRiddler wrote:PG has never played with a guard as good as Dame or CJ, let alone both. I think it is a long shot. Given Boston can outbid us easily, but word is they didn't wanna trade Jae Crowder for Butler lol. They seem to like their non-star assests a bit too much.

all 3 first round draft picks Crabbe,Harkless Vonleh for PG and Ellis (For their cap relief). I doubt they wanna keep Young if they trade PG so maybe him instead of Ellis.

I wouldn't mind the risk of him walking either. As we weren't suppose to have the den pick or Cle pick we got them for nothing

Dame CJ PG Aminu Nurk/ Turner

We would have little depth though.

I think either trade makes us better almost over night, obviously having Young would be better than Ellis though. I am also thinking more on the 4 guys that have high usages rates on the same team, I'm sure our current big 3 would be fine taking a few less shots a game, and already they feed the guy with the hot hand. So if George hits his first 3 shots or something he would get the ball plenty, but overall I'm sure Damian, CJ, and Nurkic wouldn't mind taking on average 4-5 less shots a game to give George enough shot attempts. Maybe it also comes from less attempts from the 3 point line for our role players like Aminu.

I think Nurk just reduces his role on offense. He seems to like playing defense showing guys up for blocks, even if we would have 3 all-stars they could go on droughts so he'd still have a chance to score and gets shots. just not at a 25% usage.

I think Dame and CJ both reduce their usage for good measure as it means less strain and more efficiency. Turner would be the one IMO to get absolutely gutted.

But all 3 are great 3 point shooters and 2/3 are good off the ball scorers. I wouldn't be worried about touches at all tbh.

Of course it would be a long shot just to get him here. Although I never took in how many teams either don't have the pieces or cap space to trade for PG. It would really just be Boston or us.

IMO Indy would be dumb to drag this out to the summer or next trade deadline, this is a good draft and a great opportunity to go for a youth ,movement with Turner and what they get for George.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#86 » by GreenRiddler » Wed May 10, 2017 11:30 pm

If Indy doesn't trade PG13 they will just lose him next summer, it is pretty much guaranteed. in this day and age I wouldn't go into the final year of a big time player's contract without an assurance they wanna stay.

He maybe new, but I can't imagine the GM isn't seeing that as an option. Especially after PG's statements throughout and after the POs.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#87 » by PDXKnight » Sat May 20, 2017 4:34 am

I know rumors are flying but Is there anything portland could realistically get George for without cj or dame?
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#88 » by Downtown » Sat May 20, 2017 5:28 am

Oden2 wrote:I know rumors are flying but Is there anything portland could realistically get George for without cj or dame?

In my opinion, no, definitely not.
NASE
Sophomore
And1: 111

Post#89 » by NASE » Sat May 20, 2017 8:18 pm

Oden2 wrote:I know rumors are flying but Is there anything portland could realistically get George for without cj or dame?

considering what the Pacers turned down, definitely not
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#90 » by PDXKnight » Sun May 21, 2017 12:58 am

NASE wrote:

considering what the Pacers turned down, definitely not

Depends on the protection the Hawks had on their picks imo
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,939

Post#91 » by Effigy » Mon May 22, 2017 6:55 pm

I would trade the 3 picks for him and gamble on resigning him, but we have to send a contract back to match. If Indy will take one of our bad contracts, great. But I doubt they would so...
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#92 » by Waynearchetype » Mon May 22, 2017 9:27 pm

Read on Twitter

CJ just trolling at this point.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#93 » by DusterBuster » Tue May 23, 2017 6:43 am

Waynearchetype wrote:
Read on Twitter

I appreciate CJ at least trying to recruit. It always bugged me Roy never involved himself with trying to help recruit players. It really can't be minimized just how important it is to getting players to sign with your team.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#94 » by ebott » Tue May 23, 2017 7:33 am

DusterBuster wrote:
Waynearchetype wrote:
Read on Twitter

I appreciate CJ at least trying to recruit. It always bugged me Roy never involved himself with trying to help recruit players. It really can't be minimized just how important it is to getting players to sign with your team.

Is it? Seems like there's a lot that goes into a player deciding to sign with a team. CJ wanting them doesn't seem like that big of a factor.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#95 » by DusterBuster » Tue May 23, 2017 8:41 am

ebott wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
Waynearchetype wrote:
Read on Twitter

Is it? Seems like there's a lot that goes into a player deciding to sign with a team. CJ wanting them doesn't seem like that big of a factor.

There's certainly a lot more that goes into it, but it can't be disregarded by having players actively creating relationships and recruiting other players who'd otherwise not even give Portland a 2nd thought.

I'm not trying to say it's massively important, but it's also not something you should just discount as wholly useless either. Take it for what it is, but guys do notice. It certainly caught the attention of Whiteside and then looking at Parsons, while I'm certainly glad he didn't pick Portland, a big reason he picked Memphis over Portland was because of Conley creating a relationship with him and recruiting him.
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#96 » by ebott » Tue May 23, 2017 6:19 pm

Yeah, but it's a bummer that it hasn't had any results. I'm not like other people that say CJ should stay out of it. But at the moment it seems like wasted effort. Not that CJ is busy. It's the off-season. Do whatever you want.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#97 » by DusterBuster » Tue May 23, 2017 7:53 pm

ebott wrote:Yeah, but it's a bummer that it hasn't had any results. I'm not like other people that say CJ should stay out of it. But at the moment it seems like wasted effort. Not that CJ is busy. It's the off-season. Do whatever you want.

Typing 140 characters certainly doesn't seem like much effort. As someone who's worked in marketing and networking, these kinds of interactions (as well as what happens outside of social media) makes an actual impact. Signing FA's or making trades is a difficult process that includes multiple parties, but one of those most important parties is the player himself. If said player is not even looking at your team (which is very easy to happen for a small market team stuck in the middle of a forest), then you've truly got zero shot at him.

TL;DR version: Don't discount the small stuff for being important even if it doesn't result in a deal getting done.
d-train
RealGM

Post#98 » by d-train » Tue May 23, 2017 9:52 pm

After money, players want success. Teammates are probably the #1 thing players look at when evaluating the prospects of success. The next thing is ownership commitment. That means big payroll budget. Most players that change teams do it because their team owner sacrificed quality teammates to save money.

Blazers didn't attract top tier FA's the last 2 free agent cycles. The biggest reason is short supply of top tier FA's changing teams and Blazers not having the best players to attract a top tier FA. We were also hurt by LMA jumping ship. Also, I think players stopped believing in Allen's commitment.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#99 » by DusterBuster » Tue May 23, 2017 9:54 pm

d-train wrote:Also, I think players stopped believing in Allen's commitment.

I don't think players mental processes even got to ownership commitment before the wrote off the Blazers, if they were considering them at all.
d-train
RealGM

Post#100 » by d-train » Tue May 23, 2017 10:51 pm

The few top tier plays probably didn't get that far. Stacked teams like Warriors and Spurs being able to make cap room for max contracts makes it tough for Blazers. Blazers also lost some good FA's to the competition. I think Allen's reputation took a hit because the NBA set him up during a CBA negotiation and its been a long time since the plan included a big budget.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers