ImageImage

Can Mo Harkless play minutes at SG?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Blazer77
Junior
And1: 9

Can Mo Harkless play minutes at SG? 

Post#1 » by Blazer77 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:52 am

I see him as our starting SF, however with the Crabbe move we now have available minutes at SG. Personally I think he can play the 2.
RTG HD
Rookie
And1: 741

Re: Can Mo Harkless play minutes at SG? 

Post#2 » by RTG HD » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:55 am

SF, yes.
PF, some.
SG, Not often. Mostly no.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#3 » by Goldbum » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:43 am

I don't see it unless you have a 3 on the court who can shoot...but all of the guys we have that can do that from the 3 are better suited to play SG than Moe is.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,654

Post#4 » by Brandon-Clyde » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:08 am

I see most of the minutes opened up by the Crabbe trade being taken by Turner and Napier . Also there just won't be many minutes at backup sg as Dame will play 32-34mpg
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,324

Post#5 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:43 am

Mo can guard SG's but offensively, I'd much rather see him operating along the baseline and getting into rebound positions rather then hanging out above the FT line like the SG does so often in the Stotts offense
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,840

Post#6 » by Norm2953 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:36 am

Mo can play SG on teams with an elite PG like Chris Paul
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#7 » by PDXKnight » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:46 am

Brandon-Clyde wrote:I see most of the minutes opened up by the Crabbe trade being taken by Turner and Napier . Also there just won't be many minutes at backup sg as Dame will play 32-34mpg

Yeah I think Turner starts playing more SG as well.
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#8 » by Milkdud » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:34 am

Mo doesn't have the ball handling or playmaking for the SG. Your better off masquerading Turner at SG then Mo.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#9 » by Soulyss » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:31 pm

I would say no, Mo lacks the handles to be a secondary distributor and doesn't space the floor quite enough given our options at the SF/PF. I suspect that most of the minutes given up by Crabbe at this point will be distributed to Turner.

One interesting note, If you look at Turner's splits by playing time... when he plays 30+ minutes, he is FAR more effective than games where he plays less than that. I didn't do a DEEP look to see if it was a true correlation or if it was causation (basically, he got more minutes in blowouts and when he happened to be hot).

But for those of us worried about Turner getting more minutes, it's... interesting.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#10 » by Soulyss » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:41 pm

Soulyss wrote:I would say no, Mo lacks the handles to be a secondary distributor and doesn't space the floor quite enough given our options at the SF/PF. I suspect that most of the minutes given up by Crabbe at this point will be distributed to Turner.

One interesting note, If you look at Turner's splits by playing time... when he plays 30+ minutes, he is FAR more effective than games where he plays less than that. I didn't do a DEEP look to see if it was a true correlation or if it was causation (basically, he got more minutes in blowouts and when he happened to be hot).

But for those of us worried about Turner getting more minutes, it's... interesting.

Ok I took a quick look, it's not PROOF or anything... but if you look at both Boston seasons... the pattern holds up.. doesn't seem to matter if he starts, simply that he plays 30+ minutes.

Interesting...
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,863

Post#11 » by JasonStern » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:08 pm

Blazer77 wrote:Can Mo Harkless play minutes at SG?

can he? sure. but Leonard can play minutes at PF and C. doesn't mean he should.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Blazers98
Junior
And1: 95

Post#12 » by Blazers98 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:36 am

JasonStern wrote:
Blazer77 wrote:Can Mo Harkless play minutes at SG?

can he? sure. but Leonard can play minutes at PF and C. doesn't mean he should.

Bwa ha ha ha ha

And yes, I think this opens up a few more minutes for Harkless but at the 3. Napier and Turner get more PT at the 1 and 2 respectively.
Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone
Blazer77
Junior
And1: 9

Post#13 » by Blazer77 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:24 pm

I agree with everyone on the ball handling. However, that's not how I'm seeing him utilized. Situationally I could see him sliding over to the two to create a matchup problem against poor post defenders. Mo has a solid post-up game. In this type of situational lineup I envision our defensive matchups with heavy switching options, or as a "big" lineup to counter teams with great outside shooting. Harkless and Aminu at the wings becomes a possibility because of the mobility of Swanigan and Vonleh at the 4.

It's probably not a real possibility, just some conjecture as we look at how our team is constructed moving forward.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,315

Post#14 » by Shem » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:36 am

Milkdud wrote:Mo doesn't have the ball handling or playmaking for the SG. Your better off masquerading Turner at SG then Mo.

Mo handles the ball better than Wesley Matthews ever did. And Matthews had "questionable" play making abilities.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas

Return to Portland Trail Blazers