ImageImageImageImageImage

Grade the Front Office

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Grade the Front Office 

Post#1 » by blind prophet » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:58 pm

Imagine you were Pete, had inherited the Maloof mess, and had an owner who very much wants to win now, but understands how dire our situation is at the moment.

You have fans who have been on a roller coaster for years, an arena deal in the works, and its your time.

How are we doing?
blind prophet
RealGM

Re: Grade the Front Office 

Post#2 » by blind prophet » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:07 am

Vivek's hiring of Malone A

I like what I see from Malone, he has our players playing competitive ball usually, we are capable of beating just about anyone when healthy any night.

Despite our record our point differential is just -2.4, fantastic considering where our record is. The play of Cousins and IT has increased and paid dividends immediately.

Malone was also able to get Gay playing at the level everyone hoped he would play at in Toronto.

FO grade B+

They had a tough call on what to do with Tyreke, consider how much Vivek would like to win, the fear of losing one of our best assets, imagine the temptation to overpay Tyreke. Not only did they refuse to over pay Tyreke, they were able to acquire assets that turned into Rudy Gay in the process. Well done Pete, well done.

Still too early to judge the Williams trade, took on some salary with a harder to move piece, is a work in progress.

Bad move with Landry. We are all ready cluttered to death with PF and backup salary for multi year terms, seemed much more reasonable to hold on to the cash, and reinvest later.

Nothing in return for Jimmer. A sleight negative from me, was not expecting much, but for zilch in return a little disappointed.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#3 » by City of Trees » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:33 am

Only 5 players left from Maloof era... that deserves at least a B. There will always be 1 player (Cousins) so technically only 4 left to jettison over the side.

However the biggest, I repeat, the BIGGEST impact this front office has brought is a competitive-spending nature. No more floating around the bottom of the salary cap, making ridiculous signings just to make the minimum required team salary. Now we are talking about avoiding the lux tax! Just let that sink in.................... lux tax.......... to me this is amazing and regardless of your opinion on roster moves we should all take a minute and be thankful.

Now that we've taken a minute, back to your daily bashing of the Landry signing.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#4 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:03 am

Yeah, A+ on Malone hiring, but that wasn't really the front office, he was here before they were.

Front office themselves, hard to say because I still don't see a set plan. Right now a C+. They certainly aren't doing their coach and star players any favors yet.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#5 » by blind prophet » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:08 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:Yeah, A+ on Malone hiring, but that wasn't really the front office, he was here before they were.

Front office themselves, hard to say because I still don't see a set plan. Right now a C+. They certainly aren't doing their coach and star players any favors yet.

Yeah Malone was all Vivek, and his philosophy differs from Pete some.

I think Vivek saw something in both of them, wanted the differing views, and thought they could maximize the output not always being on the same page.

Getting an A from me and an A+ from you regardless of who made the call.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#6 » by blind prophet » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:09 am

City of Trees wrote:Only 5 players left from Maloof era... that deserves at least a B. There will always be 1 player (Cousins) so technically only 4 left to jettison over the side.

However the biggest, I repeat, the BIGGEST impact this front office has brought is a competitive-spending nature. No more floating around the bottom of the salary cap, making ridiculous signings just to make the minimum required team salary. Now we are talking about avoiding the lux tax! Just let that sink in.................... lux tax.......... to me this is amazing and regardless of your opinion on roster moves we should all take a minute and be thankful.

Now that we've taken a minute, back to your daily bashing of the Landry signing.

:lol:

Let the dirty Laundry, talk continue...

In all seriousness, thank goodness we can watch a fun product, think of the future, and have someone who wants to invest back into our home town.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,444

Post#7 » by KF10 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:17 am

Here is some reference of what Pete has done so far:

Code: Select all

February 20 2014
Traded a conditional 2015 second-round pick to the Miami Heat for guard Roger Mason. Waived guard Roger Mason.
February 19 2014
Traded guard Marcus Thornton to the Brooklyn Nets for guard Jason Terry and forward Reggie Evans.
January 6 2014
Waived center Hamady N'Diaye.
December 9 2013
 Traded guard Greivis Vasquez and forwards John Salmons, Patrick Patterson and Chuck Hayes to the Toronto Raptors for forwards Rudy Gay and Quincy Acy and center Aaron Gray.
November 26 2013
Traded forward Luc Richard Mbah a Moute to the Minnesota Timberwolves for forward Derrick Williams.
October 24 2013
Waived guard Trent Lockett.
September 29 2013
 Signed center DeMarcus Cousins to a contract extention.
September 12 2013
Named Robert Schaefer director of athletic performance.
September 5 2013
Named Chris Mullin advisor to the chairman.
August 28 2013
Signed guard Trent Lockett.
August 2 2013
 Named Corliss Williamson assistant coach and assistant director of player development.
July 18 2013
 Signed guard Ray McCallum.
July 15 2013
 Signed forward Carl Landry.
July 13 2013
 Signed guard Ben McLemore.
July 12 2013
 Traded two future second-round picks to the Milwaukee Bucks for forward Luc Richard Mbah a Moute.
July 10 2013
 Traded guard Tyreke Evans to the New Orleans Pelicans for guard Greivis Vasquez.
July 8 2013
Named Dee Brown director of player development and assistant coach, Micah Nori assistant coach and Bill Pope advanced scout.
Draft 2013
 Selected guards Ben McLemore (7th overall pick) and Ray McCallum (36th overall pick).
June 25 2013
 Tendered a qualifying offer to guard Tyreke Evans and named Brendan Malone assistant coach.
June 16 2013
Named general manager.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#8 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:24 am

KF10 wrote:Here is some reference of what Pete has done so far:

Code: Select all

February 20 2014
Traded a conditional 2015 second-round pick to the Miami Heat for guard Roger Mason. Waived guard Roger Mason.
February 19 2014
Traded guard Marcus Thornton to the Brooklyn Nets for guard Jason Terry and forward Reggie Evans.
January 6 2014
Waived center Hamady N'Diaye.
December 9 2013
 Traded guard Greivis Vasquez and forwards John Salmons, Patrick Patterson and Chuck Hayes to the Toronto Raptors for forwards Rudy Gay and Quincy Acy and center Aaron Gray.
November 26 2013
Traded forward Luc Richard Mbah a Moute to the Minnesota Timberwolves for forward Derrick Williams.
October 24 2013
Waived guard Trent Lockett.
September 29 2013
 Signed center DeMarcus Cousins to a contract extention.
September 12 2013
Named Robert Schaefer director of athletic performance.
September 5 2013
Named Chris Mullin advisor to the chairman.
August 28 2013
Signed guard Trent Lockett.
August 2 2013
 Named Corliss Williamson assistant coach and assistant director of player development.
July 18 2013
 Signed guard Ray McCallum.
July 15 2013
 Signed forward Carl Landry.
July 13 2013
 Signed guard Ben McLemore.
July 12 2013
 Traded two future second-round picks to the Milwaukee Bucks for forward Luc Richard Mbah a Moute.
July 10 2013
 Traded guard Tyreke Evans to the New Orleans Pelicans for guard Greivis Vasquez.
July 8 2013
Named Dee Brown director of player development and assistant coach, Micah Nori assistant coach and Bill Pope advanced scout.
Draft 2013
 Selected guards Ben McLemore (7th overall pick) and Ray McCallum (36th overall pick).
June 25 2013
 Tendered a qualifying offer to guard Tyreke Evans and named Brendan Malone assistant coach.
June 16 2013
Named general manager.

Hey, I got an idea, lets start calling Pete, Pete-rie. :lol:

:eagerly awaiting the flame war:
:onfire:
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,460

Post#9 » by RIPskaterdude » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:54 am

I think the Landry signing was an absolutely horrible signing and regardless of his injury, made no sense at ALL. Too much money and way too long of a contract for a decent bench player.

That being said, it's been nice to have an active trade season, even if we did have a flop of a trade deadline in terms of getting anything for Jimmer or JT. I figure Terry will take a buyout, or poor Jimmer will be stuck on the bench and getting 20 minutes one game and 2 minutes the next.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#10 » by Kings2013 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:20 pm

Only thing I can quibble about is the Landry signing and I'm convinced Malone and or Vivek had something to do with it via GSW connection. Liked Gay and Williams trades. Liked Cuz extension. The draft - Ben was a consensus pick and I think Ray can play in the league. He's active, and you always hear us in rumors trying to get better. B+
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 153

Post#11 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:09 pm

I know we don't know the details, but the talk about JT for Jack legitimately concerned me.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#12 » by blind prophet » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:15 pm

Nicky Nix Nook wrote:I know we don't know the details, but the talk about JT for Jack legitimately concerned me.

Yeah I agree, was a short sighted lateral move for position.

It is conceivable JT sits as the third backup man with a thinned out roster. And a big average player is worth more and harder to find.

I'll take our pf clutter and try to piece together the puzzle differently myself.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,460

Post#13 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:45 am

blind prophet wrote:
Nicky Nix Nook wrote:I know we don't know the details, but the talk about JT for Jack legitimately concerned me.

It is conceivable JT sits as the third backup man with a thinned out roster. And a big average player is worth more and harder to find.

I'll take our pf clutter and try to piece together the puzzle differently myself.

Tell me, how exactly are we to do that? If we draft a PF, do we sit Landry or JT and their contract? What about Evans? Acy? D-Will?
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#14 » by Cruel_Ruin » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:16 pm

I'll give them a gentlemen's B for now.

Good moves:
-Rudy Gay trade - Pretty self explanatory. Massive talent upgrade for what we paid out.

-Derrick Williams trade - Still highway robbery considering DWill's potential and Moute's mediocrity as a player

-Demarcus Cousins extension - Not sure how much this was Pete and how much was Vivek, but give credit where credit is due. I was skeptical about it, but its proven to be the absolute right move.

Jury's out:
-Ben McLemore draft - This is our FO's golden child, but so far it hasn't panned out. Still a very young kid, but imagine an IT/Rudy/Cousins core with consistent SG play the time they've been together? We're .500 when the trio plays together but we could have been even better with some more help. Ben's failure to be NBA ready is holding that back.

Neutral/Meh:
-Ray McCallam - Could end up something but hasn't shown anything yet.
-Thornton for Terry/Evans - Saved us a bit of cash, got rid of Thornton, but not really significant

Bad:
-Letting Tyreke walk - This is debatable but given the status of our SG situation, I would love to have Tyreke around at $11 million per. Some people will debate this, saying look how he's doing in New Orleans, but I think team fit has a lot to do with his struggles. On the Kings he could have just played the Iggy role, be a defensive minded secondary ballhandler to Isaiah and flourished.

-Trading away Lopez - So, about a defensive big man with a decent midrange game to complement Cousins? We had one in our pockets. We traded him for a second rounder. That big is now anchoring a Top-5 team in the Western Conference. Big time whiff Pete
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#15 » by blind prophet » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:42 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:
blind prophet wrote:

Tell me, how exactly are we to do that? If we draft a PF, do we sit Landry or JT and their contract? What about Evans? Acy? D-Will?

There is no magical cure for JT and Carl's contracts. The answer is not to get who would be an under performing guard in return with 3-4 year contract. If We draft a PF or center, that means you look immediately to trade Evans or Acy for a small pay similar expiring at position of need.

DWill most likely wont be here after next season the qualifying offer is at $8,717,225

For the now, you try and see if you can break down JT or Landry into two smaller contracts, at position of need. You look for someone elses Outlaw types, the 3-4 million multi year they are not thrilled to have either. You do this because in future trade scenarios they are easier to move making less money, and you are not paying more by keeping JT and Carl + another roster spot open. You eat what you have to for now.

You also understand that financially we are screwed next season, not much you can do about it, unless Gay opts out. You cut salary if you can, and take back as little as possible. Next season is simply a stepping stone to prepare for the following when we have money to spend, a new rookie possibly extremely talented, evaluate Mclemore etc.

After next year, with more spending power, JT is not necessarily a hindrance any more if he is the third big on a 2 year contract.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#16 » by City of Trees » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:03 pm

well the way I take it is the trade never happened because Pete was searching for compensation to swap the two. That is a good thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using RealGM Forums mobile app
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#17 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:00 pm

Cruel_Ruin wrote:I'll give them a gentlemen's B for now.

Good moves:
-Rudy Gay trade - Pretty self explanatory. Massive talent upgrade for what we paid out.

-Derrick Williams trade - Still highway robbery considering DWill's potential and Moute's mediocrity as a player

-Demarcus Cousins extension - Not sure how much this was Pete and how much was Vivek, but give credit where credit is due. I was skeptical about it, but its proven to be the absolute right move.

Jury's out:
-Ben McLemore draft - This is our FO's golden child, but so far it hasn't panned out. Still a very young kid, but imagine an IT/Rudy/Cousins core with consistent SG play the time they've been together? We're .500 when the trio plays together but we could have been even better with some more help. Ben's failure to be NBA ready is holding that back.

Neutral/Meh:
-Ray McCallam - Could end up something but hasn't shown anything yet.
-Thornton for Terry/Evans - Saved us a bit of cash, got rid of Thornton, but not really significant

Bad:
-Letting Tyreke walk - This is debatable but given the status of our SG situation, I would love to have Tyreke around at $11 million per. Some people will debate this, saying look how he's doing in New Orleans, but I think team fit has a lot to do with his struggles. On the Kings he could have just played the Iggy role, be a defensive minded secondary ballhandler to Isaiah and flourished.

-Trading away Lopez - So, about a defensive big man with a decent midrange game to complement Cousins? We had one in our pockets. We traded him for a second rounder. That big is now anchoring a Top-5 team in the Western Conference. Big time whiff Pete

Here is the one bad thing about the Williams deal as it stands. He's in just as bad a situation here now, that Gay is here, as he was in Minnesota. It might also contribute to the Kings having to pay tax when re-signing Isaiah, or the reason he's let go. The Kings could probably really use that 2 million dollar difference next season.

They have to put Williams at PF IMO. They have to try and raise his value or see if he fits, right now as a backup 3 he's not really doing a whole lot for himself or the team. He's in the same spot as he was in Minny and surprise surprise, same results. If they have no intentions of finding a major use for him they need to use the rest of the season to build his value and then see if you can deal him on draft night or in the summer.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#18 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:12 pm

blind prophet wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:
blind prophet wrote:

There is no magical cure for JT and Carl's contracts. The answer is not to get who would be an under performing guard in return with 3-4 year contract. If We draft a PF or center, that means you look immediately to trade Evans or Acy for a small pay similar expiring at position of need.

DWill most likely wont be here after next season the qualifying offer is at $8,717,225

For the now, you try and see if you can break down JT or Landry into two smaller contracts, at position of need. You look for someone elses Outlaw types, the 3-4 million multi year they are not thrilled to have either. You do this because in future trade scenarios they are easier to move making less money, and you are not paying more by keeping JT and Carl + another roster spot open. You eat what you have to for now.

You also understand that financially we are screwed next season, not much you can do about it, unless Gay opts out. You cut salary if you can, and take back as little as possible. Next season is simply a stepping stone to prepare for the following when we have money to spend, a new rookie possibly extremely talented, evaluate Mclemore etc.

After next year, with more spending power, JT is not necessarily a hindrance any more if he is the third big on a 2 year contract.

When you have the kind of backup in the front court that this team does, it's never a bad thing when you can at least shift some of that excess to a position of need. Truth is, Jack probably has a major role on this team moving forward, JT? Probably not.

Also, I hope you realize that there might not be a whole lot of money to spend at that point. I was looking at this teams salary for next year pre-signing IT and it ain't pretty. They'll most certainly have to pay tax as is if they keep him. Then the following year, if they re-sign Gay, well, there really is no space. They are probably already over the cap.

Lets say the summer of 2015 looks like this:

Gay: 12-14 million starting
Cousins: 15 million
IT: 9 million
Landry: 6.5 million
JT: 6.5 million
Bmac: 3.1 million
Ray Mac: 1 million
2014 draft pick: 3-4 million
2015 draft pick: ?? lets say 2-3 million

That's 60+ million potentially. And unless those picks solve your problems, and it's tough for rookies regardless of skill set or talent to make the impact they'd be looking for, you're stuck.

Yeah, that big summer of 2015, how's it looking now? Guess what, Landry and JT are the two contracts as of right now that kill this teams chances then. Now that I've done the math, I might want to drop my grade a little. They've got their work cut out for them.

:banghead:
Big_Cat
Banned User
And1: 123

Post#19 » by Big_Cat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:16 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:When you have the kind of backup in the front court that this team does, it's never a bad thing when you can at least shift some of that excess to a position of need. Truth is, Jack probably has a major role on this team moving forward, JT? Probably not.

Also, I hope you realize that there might not be a whole lot of money to spend at that point. I was looking at this teams salary for next year pre-signing IT and it ain't pretty. They'll most certainly have to pay tax as is if they keep him. Then the following year, if they re-sign Gay, well, there really is no space. They are probably already over the cap.

Lets say the summer of 2015 looks like this:

Gay: 12-14 million starting
Cousins: 15 million
IT: 9 million
Landry: 6.5 million
JT: 6.5 million
Bmac: 3.1 million
Ray Mac: 1 million
2014 draft pick: 3-4 million
2015 draft pick: ?? lets say 2-3 million

That's 60+ million potentially. And unless those picks solve your problems, and it's tough for rookies regardless of skill set or talent to make the impact they'd be looking for, you're stuck.

Yeah, that big summer of 2015, how's it looking now? Guess what, Landry and JT are the two contracts as of right now that kill this teams chances then. Now that I've done the math, I might want to drop my grade a little. They've got their work cut out for them.

:banghead:

Hence, why I always believe you never commit to any major long term contracts until your "core" is in place...aka we should not be resigning Rudy Gay or Isaiah unless we are sure our 2014 pick is that missing piece to push our current roster into a contender status.

Suppose you have Cousins, Isaiah, and Gay locked up. That essentially means we'd have around 40-45 million already ruled out due to those 3 players alone. Now, if the 2014 pick doesn't pan out...or we end up with a pick between say #7-10 and are only able to pick up a guy who is a capable starter opposed to an allstar? Then our roster is essentially set in stone until DeMarcus/Gay/Thomas' contract expires.

Treadmill Team baby.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#20 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:26 am

Gay at least checks off one of those major needs this team has had. I guess you see where you're at when his deal is up. There's no question they are going to have to trade themselves out of this mess even if that means they get creative via sign and trades, in trading draft choices, or in trading valuable assets and attaching it to anchors to at least fill needs here and there.

I don't think Gay, Thomas, and Cuz is a bad choice if it's your offensive core. They just have to really target need fillers via trade and/or with the MLE.

Return to Sacramento Kings