Kings vs. Mavs 4/6

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,442

Re: Kings vs. Mavs 4/6 

Post#21 » by KF10 » Mon Apr 7, 2014 1:51 am

SacTownKings4Life wrote:2 guys in double figures. Where's the silver lining? Seems like the same problem we always have when we only have 2 main scorers.

Sent from my SM-N900T using RealGM Forums mobile app

You gotta love how the Kings are fighting against these PO-level teams (who in fact, are fighting for seeding/entrance to POs i.e. games in this last stretch are very important for them).

We started 2 rookies in the backcourt i.e. RMac & BMac, and no IT and we still fought hard and almost snatch victory. These are the type of games you want to see from them.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#22 » by KF10 » Mon Apr 7, 2014 1:56 am

That said, our offense, as of right now, revolves around mostly Cousins & Rudy, virtually playing "your turn, my turn" type of offense. Although, the emergence of RMac dissipates this a bit, we still have to look into ways of improving the team's offense.
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#23 » by SactoKingsFan » Mon Apr 7, 2014 2:22 am

Aaron Gordon will probably be the best player available when Kings pick, but I'm hoping Marcus Smart falls a few spots.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,428

Post#24 » by pillwenney » Mon Apr 7, 2014 3:57 am

Oh I miscounted. 7 or 8 then. Well I guess that's a little tough.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#25 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Apr 7, 2014 7:02 am

KF10 wrote:That said, our offense, as of right now, revolves around mostly Cousins & Rudy, virtually playing "your turn, my turn" type of offense. Although, the emergence of RMac dissipates this a bit, we still have to look into ways of improving the team's offense.

It's all about offensive sets and efficiency from here. I believe Malone with some real time to work with can get it done. Still need to fix that personnel stuff but if they get them and they have a consistent system a Cousins/Gay your turn my turn will do just fine and the others will get easy baskets night after night.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#26 » by KF10 » Mon Apr 7, 2014 7:16 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:It's all about offensive sets and efficiency from here. I believe Malone with some real time to work with can get it done. Still need to fix that personnel stuff but if they get them and they have a consistent system a Cousins/Gay your turn my turn will do just fine and the others will get easy baskets night after night.

Yeah, I agree. Malone, with more time, will work the chinks out of the armor. Cousins & Rudy is a very good duo combination, IMO. It's just... the fit around them is lacking to say the least.

The "my turn, your turn" offense can be successful, ONLY IF the right players around Cousins & Gay is present. As of right now though? Nope.
YC42Balla
Rookie
And1: 62

Post#27 » by YC42Balla » Mon Apr 7, 2014 9:39 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:Cousins/Gay your turn my turn will do just fine...

:uhoh: Are we still talking about sports?

Good game overall; especially when you take into account, the Mavs are a playoff team, desperately battling for wins to secure their position. Cuz and Rudy played well. Very encouraging!
SAC-RA-MEN-TO #HEREWESTAYED
SacTownKings4Life
Starter
And1: 118

Post#28 » by SacTownKings4Life » Mon Apr 7, 2014 10:27 am

KF10 wrote:That said, our offense, as of right now, revolves around mostly Cousins & Rudy, virtually playing "your turn, my turn" type of offense. Although, the emergence of RMac dissipates this a bit, we still have to look into ways of improving the team's offense.

My thoughts exactly. The reason why I don't see a silver lining in this game is because it's the same old same old. Two guys do the bulk of the scoring and nobody else shows up. In a 2 point loss, I feel like IT certainly could have made a huge difference in the outcome. But SINCE we don't have IT, it's would have been a perfect chance for somebody else to step up. But it's just not happening. Ray had a couple fool's gold games, and you knew we wasn't going to keep THAT pace up, but would 10 points be totally unreasonable?

Say what you want, but when we don't have our whole big 3 together, we just can't score for ****. And that's alarming to me. I don't know if it's still a product of chemistry issues or the way the offense is structured (or rather NOT structured) or what. If Rudy or Cousins had "happened" to have an off night, this game is ugly. If we can't find some consistent scoring from somebody else, if we expect to be a competitive team in ANY way, shape or form going forward, we have no choice BUT to resign IT. We are NOT the Miami Heat, to where we can expect to get away with relying on just a couple guys.

I feel like we play WAY to slow for a team with so many athletic players. We don't even TRY to run unless we happen to get a steal. Other teams run the ball down our throat. Why can't we do the same sometimes? To me, the worst thing a not very good defensive team can do is not be able to score enough to make up for it. You have to do SOMETHING to help counteract whatever your weakness is. In a 91 point game, 60 came from 2 guys. You can't survive on that. I know Malone is a defensive-minded coach, but he needs to bring somebody into his staff who knows something about running an offense. Not saying he's a bad coach, but our offense seems very freelance at times, and players don't know how or where or when to move.

Just
Image Image
B Cuz
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#29 » by enderwilson » Mon Apr 7, 2014 2:28 pm

But name me a championship caliber team whose offense isn't reliant on one or two players? What we really lack is reliable role players. Players who can keep the defense honest by knocking down the open shot. BMac has no doubt been a disappointment on this front. Ray's scoring has dropped off a cliff but that was to be expected. I'll accept that considering the rest of his line for the night: 9 assists, 3 steals and 3 turnovers in 47 minutes. It's OK to be critical but you've got to see a silver lining somewhere. If you don't then why even bother? That being said, is there a better silver lining than Ray's play at the moment? If you can't root for how admirably he's filled in for IT, then what do you have to root for?
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#30 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Apr 7, 2014 8:32 pm

KF10 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:It's all about offensive sets and efficiency from here. I believe Malone with some real time to work with can get it done. Still need to fix that personnel stuff but if they get them and they have a consistent system a Cousins/Gay your turn my turn will do just fine and the others will get easy baskets night after night.

Yeah, I agree. Malone, with more time, will work the chinks out of the armor. Cousins & Rudy is a very good duo combination, IMO. It's just... the fit around them is lacking to say the least.

The "my turn, your turn" offense can be successful, ONLY IF the right players around Cousins & Gay is present. As of right now though? Nope.

Yeah, Pete has some work to do.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#31 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Apr 7, 2014 8:32 pm

YC42Balla wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:Cousins/Gay your turn my turn will do just fine...

:uhoh: Are we still talking about sports?

Good game overall; especially when you take into account, the Mavs are a playoff team, desperately battling for wins to secure their position. Cuz and Rudy played well. Very encouraging!

What happens in the locker room, stays in the locker room.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#32 » by KF10 » Mon Apr 7, 2014 9:06 pm

SacTownKings4Life wrote:My thoughts exactly. The reason why I don't see a silver lining in this game is because it's the same old same old. Two guys do the bulk of the scoring and nobody else shows up. In a 2 point loss, I feel like IT certainly could have made a huge difference in the outcome. But SINCE we don't have IT, it's would have been a perfect chance for somebody else to step up. But it's just not happening. Ray had a couple fool's gold games, and you knew we wasn't going to keep THAT pace up, but would 10 points be totally unreasonable?

Say what you want, but when we don't have our whole big 3 together, we just can't score for ****. And that's alarming to me. I don't know if it's still a product of chemistry issues or the way the offense is structured (or rather NOT structured) or what. If Rudy or Cousins had "happened" to have an off night, this game is ugly. If we can't find some consistent scoring from somebody else, if we expect to be a competitive team in ANY way, shape or form going forward, we have no choice BUT to resign IT. We are NOT the Miami Heat, to where we can expect to get away with relying on just a couple guys.

I feel like we play WAY to slow for a team with so many athletic players. We don't even TRY to run unless we happen to get a steal. Other teams run the ball down our throat. Why can't we do the same sometimes? To me, the worst thing a not very good defensive team can do is not be able to score enough to make up for it. You have to do SOMETHING to help counteract whatever your weakness is. In a 91 point game, 60 came from 2 guys. You can't survive on that. I know Malone is a defensive-minded coach, but he needs to bring somebody into his staff who knows something about running an offense. Not saying he's a bad coach, but our offense seems very freelance at times, and players don't know how or where or when to move.

IT would have helped in that game but lets look at the entire picture here: At what cost? Ask your self that. The trio of Cousins/Rudy/IT is inherently flawed and their ceiling as a trio is limited.

Firstly, IT simply compounds the "your turn, my turn" offense conundrum. Like I said earlier, you really need to limit to 2 players if you want to go by that offense. It better be your two best players on roster! IT's FGA is tied for 2nd with Rudy. The next player? Ben frkin McLemore with 8.0 FGA. Do you see what's wrong with this picture? In an ideal world, Cousins & Rudy gets their attempts and the remaining attempts are diversely divided. Building around Cousins & Rudy is a good thing. The problem is we don't have the ideal fit around that combination. Re-signing IT simply make things harder to commit to a Cousins & Rudy core. IMO, signing IT to a multi-year deal handcuffs the Kings to a limited ceiling i.e. fringe PO team (8/9 seed..barely scraping for .500).

This is going to be the most important summer the Kings had in a while. I hope Pete does the right decision and not sign IT to a long/costly deal.

Return to Sacramento Kings