Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Re: Trade Ideas Thread 14-15 

Post#1101 » by KF10 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:32 am

teerfour+40LG wrote:
KF10 wrote:Divac wants a "lanky, defender" next to Cousins. So no Rudy at PF anymore?

Where did you read "next to Cousins"?

I inferred from the Voisin article that Vlade wanted someone next to Cousins that is defensive-minded.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#1102 » by Kings2013 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:54 am

KF10 wrote:Divac wants a "lanky, defender" next to Cousins. So no Rudy at PF anymore?

The entire statement didn't make much sense to me (shooters, depth and playmakers at all positions). Just sounded like a standard response IMO. I wouldn't take that a lanky defender will definitively be starting from that personally, could be bench
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#1103 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:08 am

KF10 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:Rudy is pretty lanky! I'm sure they'll still play Rudy at PF. I don't think the idea is to play him there full time and Karl has said as much. He also mentioned Doug Christie. Might just have a few of those types in the draft Vlade!

Then again maybe he's talking about Porzingis. :oops:

Either way it sounds like they want to bring in defensive players which is good. I'm all for trading that pick for Ibaka. :wink: On the free agent market I'd throw every cent at Damarre Carroll and maybe offer a sign and trade if need be. That dude has the same mentality as Christie on defense. He's not quite at that level but you can tell he wants the toughest match up possible every game.

I like Rudy at PF but what happens when he is matched up with the ZBo's of the NBA? Then what?

Carroll, huh? I like him but he is no where near Christie's ball handling//passing game. Good player, nonetheless though.

Ibaka would be great but I don't think Thunder would bite.

You find out who's having the tougher time. Don't forget, they have guard Rudy too. If it's not working you just swing Gay back to SF, no big deal. That's the great thing about Rudy with his combo of size and athletic ability, where you play him really doesn't matter, he just does what he does.

In watching the start of the playoffs I'm seeing just how many teams are going for the emphasis on pick and roll switch defense over two big defensive setups. The Warriors and Rockets are both teams that run almost exclusively screen switching defense. The Rockets would be a good model for the Kings to follow in my opinion. I'm not sure the Kings can construct a team with as much pure defensive talent at SF/PF that they have but it sounds like they are looking at it as a point of emphasis this summer.

Yeah, Caroll is no where near Dougs overall skill level but he's a better fit for a team like this because he's more of a spot shooter/defender rather than a playmaker/defender. He also has good size and would fit in a switching lineup because of his ability to guard anywhere from SG's and SF's to some PF's.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#1104 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:10 am

teerfour+40LG wrote:

Where did you read "next to Cousins"?

Yeah, he's probably looking more at backup C than anything because that was a clear weakness with the team this year. When Cousins hit the bench, so did the defense. :lol:
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Re: Re: Trade Ideas Thread 14-15 

Post#1105 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:11 am

City of Trees wrote:
KF10 wrote:Snippets of Voisin article:

Divac's offseason wish list starts with acquiring a lanky frontcourt defender

#6 Cauley-Stien fellas

I still can't see justification in drafting a player in the top half of the lotto to be a backup, which Cauley-Stein would probably be. The spacing would be all but gone with Cousins and he in the front court.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#1106 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:16 am

teerfour+40LG wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
KF10 wrote:Snippets of Voisin article:

#6 Cauley-Stien fellas

Heh, with our luck, it'll be Porzingis. :nonono:

I've been searching the web and youtube for as much game/highlight footage that I can find and it's just so hard not to watch footage of that kid and not see a superstar in the making. Is he Darko, Vesely, Tskitishvili, etc. or is this finally the real deal? I don't know enough about his team or the league he plays in to know what kind of competition he's facing but even his numbers are good. :o

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see this guy go number 1 in a shocker. In highlight form he looks like a 7'1" Anthony Davis for craps sake.
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#1107 » by teerfour+40LG » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:24 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:Yeah, he's probably looking more at backup C than anything because that was a clear weakness with the team this year. When Cousins hit the bench, so did the defense. :lol:

Divac just didn't specify whether this lanky defender would be a starter or a bench player. I hope that he gets us a defensive backup center anyway. We really need one.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#1108 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:33 am

teerfour+40LG wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:Yeah, he's probably looking more at backup C than anything because that was a clear weakness with the team this year. When Cousins hit the bench, so did the defense. :lol:

Divac just didn't specify whether this lanky defender would be a starter or a bench player. I do hope that he gets us a defensive backup center anyway. We really need one.

I doubt he would ever be that specific unless he has knowledge to the contrary. That could be conveyed as stepping on your coaches toes I would think. Who starts I would figure is largely up to Karl at this point. Yeah, a real C, although JT was solid, is probably need number 2 beyond the shooting/defending wings. I wonder if Pete will convince them to go after Koufos because there were reports about his interest around the deadline.

I say use the pick to solidify the wing need, then split the space between a serviceable big and another shooter. Hopefully they can clear off at least some of the salary of one of Landry or JT or use them to add more shooting and defense.
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach

Post#1109 » by teerfour+40LG » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:17 am

Is it possible that PDA was trying to build a team like the 96 Sonics with

• Darren Collison as Gary Payton
  • Ben McLemore as Hersey Hawkins
  • Rudy Gay as Detlef Schrempf
  • George Karl as George Karl
  • Lanky Frontcourt Defender as Shawn Kemp

and Cousins making up for the talent disparity between each of those players?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#1110 » by City of Trees » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:07 am

teerfour+40LG wrote:Is it possible that PDA was trying to build a team like the 96 Sonics with

Or maybe as Denver

Collision as Lawson
McLemore as Afflao
Gay as Iggy
Karl as Karl
Lanky defender as JAVALE MCGEE!
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach

Post#1111 » by teerfour+40LG » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:26 pm

Do you think our FO is crazy enough to go after Larry Sanders to be their lanky frontcourt defender?
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#1112 » by Kings2013 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:12 pm

teerfour+40LG wrote:Do you think our FO is crazy enough to go after Larry Sanders to be their lanky frontcourt defender?

Off the bench? It's an interesting idea but I think they are trying to establish a good culture

I'm not a big switching Cousins to PF guy. He is coming into his own at C and I think Karl is looking at some pace and I dont know if Cuz is best guarding PFs. But that is just my take and subjective
KnicksDynasty
Junior
And1: 76

Trade Ideas Thread 14-15 

Post#1113 » by KnicksDynasty » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:26 pm

How much would the Kings want for Cousins?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#1114 » by City of Trees » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:32 pm

KnicksDynasty wrote:How much would the Kings want for Cousins?
Hard to say but the Kings have stated they aren't trading him.
nolimit0820
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#1115 » by nolimit0820 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:59 am

No offense, but how does Darren Collison remotely compare to Gary Payton...Rudy Gay as Detlef? Bit of stretch there :lol: but one can wish. It is impossible to replicate teams...especially any of George Karl's teams. I do not think when they signed Rudy they said oh this can be our Detlef. Let's draft Ben Mac a year and a half before we hire Karl, because that'll be Hershey Hawkins. We are the Sacramento Kings. They are trying to build a team that fits Karl's style of defensive stops (turnovers, deflections, ball pressure) that lead to transition buckets. Guys who can read and react, etc
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#1116 » by Kings2013 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:49 am

teerfour+40LG wrote:Is it possible that PDA was trying to build a team like the 96 Sonics with

Rudy is a borderline all star caliber player. I wouldn't say Detlef has a talent 'disparity' on him personally. Both excel at different things
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach

Post#1117 » by teerfour+40LG » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:37 pm

Kings2013 wrote:
Rudy is a borderline all star caliber player. I wouldn't say Detlef has a talent 'disparity' on him personally. Both excel at different things

I still give Detlef the edge over Rudy Gay, but, no, we're not looking at a gap as big as the ones between and Collison and Payton, and McLemore and Hawkins.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#1118 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:42 pm

As a pure wing scorer Schrempf was a step below Gay.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#1119 » by Kings2013 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:13 am

As a second option I think Rudy is better suited.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#1120 » by City of Trees » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:45 am

Not a true measuring stick but let's take it back to the NBA glory days.... The 90's

[youtube] https://youtu.be/1LjuWEZJnis [/youtube]

Return to Sacramento Kings