Trade Ideas Thread 14-15

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Trade Ideas Thread 14-15 

Post#1 » by City of Trees » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:18 pm

New thread to discuss everything trades.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Re: Offseason Trade Thread 

Post#2 » by blind prophet » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:31 pm

http://pistonspalace.com/2014/06/29/tra ... osh-smith/

Courtesy of Laimbeer in trades/transaction forum.

Mclemore rumored to be included in the Smith deal.

Thompson/Williams/McLemore

If that's true, we'd be better off moving Landry and use JT as 4-5 backup and his cheap buyout on season 3.

We should be seeking a heavily protected pick back to include McLemore IMO as well.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#3 » by blind prophet » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:33 pm

blind prophet wrote:http://pistonspalace.com/2014/06/29/trade-rumors-ben-mclemore-part-revamped-trade-talks-josh-smith/

Courtesy of Laimbeer in trades/transaction forum.

Mclemore rumored to be included in the Smith deal.

Thompson/Williams/McLemore

If that's true, we'd be better off moving Landry and use JT as 4-5 backup and his cheap buyout on season 3.

We should be seeking a heavily protected pick back to include McLemore IMO as well.

Should be an alarm here, from article.

"To make an even trade financially, The Pistons would probably have to take on the two year, 5.6 million dollar contract of Jason Terry."

He expires, so bad edit or the guy has no clue.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#4 » by City of Trees » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:37 pm

As I said in the T&T board: I find it highly unlikely the Kings include McLemore in this trade. Typical BS "reporting"

Sent from my SM-G900T using RealGM Forums mobile app
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#5 » by boogie-reke » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:49 pm

It's just a 1+1=2 reporting.

They see we draft Nik and come up with the most logical thing - I doubt this has any basis at all from any source within the Kings organization.

Needless to say that deal is bloody horrible for us. We don't need to give any positive asset to obtain Josh Smith. Not a single one.

We should be thanked for agreeing to absorb him.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#6 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:06 pm

I wouldn't be totally shocked if this happened but it would be pretty foolish for us to give up McLemore for a guy who ostensibly has negative value right now. Say what you want about McLemore's abysmal rookie campaign (I agree it was) he's one of the guys on our roster with potential to become more than a bench player down the road. They'd have to send us picks back, and first rounders at that and/or take all of our bad contracts to even the value in my eyes.

That being sending out McLemore in a deal for Thad Young is much more palatable even as a one year rental, I just don't know if the Sixers would be willing to take back any of our bad deals in exchange.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#7 » by City of Trees » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:15 pm

For the sake of argument let's say there is some truth to this. Simply adding Ben to a JT+ Williams package is a big overpay. At this point by adding Ben does our package shift to JT+Carl+Ben for Smith? Looking at our financial situation post trade the Kings (excluding Gay) would still have $17M in expiring contracts...

Meh, I'm still not sold. Maybe this is a deal done near the trade deadline after Ben doesn't show much improvement?

Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#8 » by Kings2013 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:26 pm

I don't think we know for sure that the Pistons ever turned down the initial Thompson/Williams deal. On the Detroit thread someone suggested the rejection may have come from our camp or that maybe we were offering other players
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#9 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:49 pm

City of Trees wrote:As I said in the T&T board: I find it highly unlikely the Kings include McLemore in this trade. Typical BS "reporting"

Yeah, I thought that before the draft too but this is the problem when you draft the same position 2 years in a row and there is likely no way for the situation to be worked out on it's own. The player looking like he's being replaced just lost value. Now, no way to the Kings dump anything, even for a not so great deal without adding the redundant piece. Or I guess you see who breaks first, them or you.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#10 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:51 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:I wouldn't be totally shocked if this happened but it would be pretty foolish for us to give up McLemore for a guy who ostensibly has negative value right now. Say what you want about McLemore's abysmal rookie campaign (I agree it was) he's one of the guys on our roster with potential to become more than a bench player down the road. They'd have to send us picks back, and first rounders at that and/or take all of our bad contracts to even the value in my eyes.

That being sending out McLemore in a deal for Thad Young is much more palatable even as a one year rental, I just don't know if the Sixers would be willing to take back any of our bad deals in exchange.

Why go after the bootleg instead of the real thing? Thad is like Josh Smith who doesn't do any of the interesting things that makes Smith the unique talent that he is.
bleeds_purple
Analyst

Post#11 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:17 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
bleeds_purple wrote:I wouldn't be totally shocked if this happened but it would be pretty foolish for us to give up McLemore for a guy who ostensibly has negative value right now. Say what you want about McLemore's abysmal rookie campaign (I agree it was) he's one of the guys on our roster with potential to become more than a bench player down the road. They'd have to send us picks back, and first rounders at that and/or take all of our bad contracts to even the value in my eyes.

Why go after the bootleg instead of the real thing? Thad is like Josh Smith who doesn't do any of the interesting things that makes Smith the unique talent that he is.

Difference is Thad is younger, on a better contract, has an ostensibly more compliant personality, and most importantly has a legit three point shot. I'm not saying I'd want to make that move, just that its slightly better and he could potentially clear up cap space for next year.
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#12 » by teerfour+40LG » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:49 pm

Repost.

The trade in my sig: McLemore, Reggie Evans, Travis Outlaw, Jason Terry for Henson, Zaza Pachulia, Carlos Delfino. Reasons:

1) IT > Brandon Knight

2) We get vets who improve our bench a lot. How?

Carlos Defino replaces Travis Outlaw. Carlos Delfino is a better passer, shooter, and maybe defender.

Zaza Pachulia would be our 2nd best passing big. Pachulia is a solid and tough defender, though he's not a good shot blocker or alterer. He's also a semi-decent mid range shooter. He brings toughness, is willing to take the toughest defensive assignment, doesn't get pushed around, and sees himself as a backup C, which Thompson sure as hell doesn't (watch thompson complain about guarding 5s here).

3) Even if Henson sucks now, he'll still block shots, rebound, and is a marginally better passer than Reggie or Landry. He has a ton of potential too.

4) It saves us $3 million right away, which can keep us under the lux tax after signing someone like Thabo Sefolosha and retaining Isaiah Thomas.

5) Doesn't sacrifice a lot of cap flexibility. Henson and Delfino are expirings. Zaza becomes a tradeable expiring after this year.

6) It allows us to completely revamp the roster with just three VERY DO-ABLE moves. Like, keep our RFA, sign a low key free agent, and convince MIL to dump a couple "mediocre vets". It's simple and elegant.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#13 » by Kings2013 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:59 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

Difference is Thad is younger, on a better contract, has ostensibly a more compliant personality, and most importantly has a legit three point shot. I'm not saying I'd want to make that move, just that its slightly better and he could potentially clear up cap space for next year.

Legit three point shot? How big of a priority is that next to Cousins on a list of attributes your looking for at the four? Not to argue against you preferring Thad, people are entitled to their opinions
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#14 » by City of Trees » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:08 pm

I don't want Delfino on the Kings. It's just like extending Outlaw for another year. No thanks.

Zaza is whatever but he sucks and makes as much as JT so why go down that road again?
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#15 » by OGSactownballer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:14 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
City of Trees wrote:As I said in the T&T board: I find it highly unlikely the Kings include McLemore in this trade. Typical BS "reporting"

Yeah, I thought that before the draft too but this is the problem when you draft the same position 2 years in a row and there is likely no way for the situation to be worked out on it's own. The player looking like he's being replaced just lost value. Now, no way to the Kings dump anything, even for a not so great deal without adding the redundant piece. Or I guess you see who breaks first, them or you.

See I made this point about Rondo's value having dropped now post-draft due to the fact that Boston very obviously drafted his replacement and I received a lot of argument that there is no way that is the case.

But the fact is, every action has it's reaction and things don't happen in a vacuum but rather in the real world.
bleeds_purple
Analyst

Post#16 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:15 pm

Kings2013 wrote:Legit three point shot? How big of a priority is that next to Cousins on a list of attributes your looking for at the four? Not to argue against you preferring Thad, people are entitled to their opinions

My thought process is as such: Gay and Cousins need to occupy the middle of the floor to be most effective. So the third front court player needs to have range. Ideally range and defense.

On a related note, how many teams do you know that succeed in the post season with a PF that doesn't at least hit the mid range (and in most cases three pointers) these days.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#17 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:36 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

Difference is Thad is younger, on a better contract, has an ostensibly more compliant personality, and most importantly has a legit three point shot. I'm not saying I'd want to make that move, just that its slightly better and he could potentially clear up cap space for next year.

I just don't see the point in going 2nd rate. Thad is like a bigger, better Travis Outlaw. Give him shots and he'll do OK, take them away and he doesn't really do much for you.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#18 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:38 pm

Kings2013 wrote:
bleeds_purple wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

Difference is Thad is younger, on a better contract, has ostensibly a more compliant personality, and most importantly has a legit three point shot. I'm not saying I'd want to make that move, just that its slightly better and he could potentially clear up cap space for next year.

Legit three point shot? How big of a priority is that next to Cousins on a list of attributes your looking for at the four? Not to argue against you preferring Thad, people are entitled to their opinions

For a role player it would be great. They are looking to improve 3 point shooting and passing and with the recent draft they did that, now if they are looking for someone like Livingston at PG that leaves the only position left to shoot from being PF.
Koorverfor3
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#19 » by Koorverfor3 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 12:26 am

You need a defender next to Cousins.
I brought up before about Henson and Brendan Wright before I learned they are pretty **** defenders by their own fans.

Taj Gibson makes the most sense..perhaps toughest defender at the 4 position. And can step out and consistently hit jumpers. Not a stretch 4 by any means but he isn't a slouch.

Ben Mclemore, Landry and a future pick would probably get it done. Few Bulls fans thought the same.

FA - Shaun Livingston Extremely solid versatile defender, pass first pg
James Anderson - Veteran half decent shooting guard. Not bad off bench
Greg Stiemsma - Don't know if hes that good but is a cheap shot blocker

C. D. Cousins/Stiemsma
F. Taj Gibson/Thompson/Evans
F. Rudy Gay/D.Will/Outlaw
G. Stauskas/J. Anderson/Terry
G. Livingston/McCallum

Livingston and Gibson alone improve this teams defense ten fold. Anderson brings the same theoretical value Mclemore did last year as a backup guard. Backup 3 isn't that big of a whole considering Rudy takes up around 36mpg.
"I just told myself whoever was guarding me I was gonna destroy them" D'Angelo Russell said.
bleeds_purple
Analyst

Post#20 » by bleeds_purple » Tue Jul 1, 2014 12:41 am

Don't get me wrong, I think we need to up our defense overall but I don't think slotting a nonproductive offensive player next to Cousins/Gay in the front court will work. I think its absolutely crucial that the PF be able to space for those guys to occupy the paint without it being clogged up. Ibaka is the ideal prototype in my eyes. Gibson would be a great fit - tough-nosed, he can hit a mid-range shot, and guard 4/5 - if he becomes available I'd love to get him. Just trying to be realistic and work with names that are available: hence the McRoberts and Young talks.

For what its worth I'd love to go into next year with the lineup you've proposed . I think we could at least be competitive, if not push for the playoffs with that team if everything pans out.

Would you be opposed to Young if it was in a straight salary dump trade for Williams and Evans? I would be hesitant to include McLemore myself.

Return to Sacramento Kings