ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Agency

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Re: Free Agency 

Post#421 » by Kings2013 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:30 am

I think we need backcourt depth so I don't know if anything is in the works, but it is interesting to think about
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#422 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:10 am

The last thing this team team needs is back court depth. Yeah, there has to be something in the works. Finding a 5th wheel in the back court hardly seems like something critical.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,530

Post#423 » by codydaze » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:59 am

PetrieUnderstudy wrote:Another possible Kings retread? Dahntay Jones worked out today in Vegas for the Kings, Cavs, Spurs, Thunder, and Wizards.

There was an article on STR today about collecting minimum contracts i.e. Moreland, Casspi, Terrence Williams, and now Jones with anticipation of big trades soon to go down. Maybe it is wishful thinking I was speculating same thing. Any trade the Kings would be making is likely going to be for a guy making significant money and would require mulitple player contracts going out. For example Carl Landry, Jason Terry, and Ben McLemore for Rajon Rondo. Derrick Williams, Jason Thompson, and Travis Outlaw for Josh Smith.

This is just hypothetical based off "rumors". That would be 6 guys going out and only 2 guys coming in. Roster would look like this prior to "the minimums".

Rajon Rondo/Darren Collison/Ray McCallum
Nik Stauskas
Rudy Gay
Josh Smith/Quincy Acy
DeMarcus Cousins/Reggie Evans

Now add in "the minimums" Moreland, Casspi, Terrence Williams, and Jones.

Rajon Rondo/Darren Collison/Ray McCallum
Nik Stauskas/Terrence Williams
Rudy Gay/Omri Casspi/Dahntay Jones
Josh Smith/Quincy Acy/Eric Moreland
DeMarcus Cousins/Reggie Evans

That looks like the kind of roster Coach Malone would want. Top 10 defense in NBA but has guys that can score as well and versatile (this "position-less theme").

Just saying...and hoping.

I would cry tears of joy if this were to happen.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#424 » by Kings2013 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:12 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:The last thing this team team needs is back court depth. Yeah, there has to be something in the works. Finding a 5th wheel in the back court hardly seems like something critical.

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with Collison/Ray/Nik/Ben walking into camp. But everyone sees the roster and what we need to do differently.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#425 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:37 pm

OK, then who doesn't play? This is the struggle with trying to compete and develop simultaneously. The problem is two of those players are players that won't give you much with little opportunity and minutes because they won't effect the game in the intangibles department or on the defensive end.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#426 » by Kings2013 » Fri Aug 1, 2014 7:55 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:OK, then who doesn't play? This is the struggle with trying to compete and develop simultaneously. The problem is two of those players are players that won't give you much with little opportunity and minutes because they won't effect the game in the intangibles department or on the defensive end.

IMHO for teams trying to win, which I personally believe we are as of now, the current capabilities of the youth dictate their roles, so I couldn't answer that without seeing them through camp

Its debatable I guess, but I think we are trying to compete. PDA is making win now moves, Malone doesn't strike me as a coach who will not play the best with what he is given, and I believe that once you have cornerstones or a nucleus that you are on the clock to move forward otherwise you will have a Love situation. If Rudy doesn't sign an extension, our second best player would probably want to see something this year

I wish the best for both Ben and Nik, and we would all be happy if they were ready to play at NBA level next season. if either aren't ready, and hopefully this isn't the case, IMHO I don't want that position holding the team back again. Admittedly I'm not super high on either as prospects and worry about that position. Having Outlaw step over or forcing Terry in just doesn't seem adequate if that is the case. I, and obviously the FO believe you have to have something else there

My position on developing players who aren't ready I understand is less tolerant than a lot of my fellow Kings fans. I am just of the belief that it is the minority amount of young players who outright can't be put into games without glaringly hurting the team, even as rookies, that end up as impact players. Im just less tolerant of the risk/reward of the proposition than others, perhaps is why I'll probably never be a parent
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#427 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Aug 1, 2014 8:12 am

Kings2013 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:OK, then who doesn't play? This is the struggle with trying to compete and develop simultaneously. The problem is two of those players are players that won't give you much with little opportunity and minutes because they won't effect the game in the intangibles department or on the defensive end.

IMHO for teams trying to win, which I personally believe we are as of now, the current capabilities of the youth dictate their roles, so I couldn't answer that without seeing them through camp

Its debatable I guess, but I think we are trying to compete. PDA is making win now moves, Malone doesn't strike me as a coach who will not play the best with what he is given, and I believe that once you have cornerstones or a nucleus that you are on the clock to move forward otherwise you will have a Love situation. If Rudy doesn't sign an extension, our second best player would probably want to see something this year

I wish the best for both Ben and Nik, and we would all be happy if they were ready to play at NBA level next season. if either aren't ready, and hopefully this isn't the case, IMHO I don't want that position holding the team back again. Admittedly I'm not super high on either as prospects and worry about that position. Having Outlaw step over or forcing Terry in just doesn't seem adequate if that is the case. I, and obviously the FO believe you have to have something else there

My position on developing players who aren't ready I understand is less tolerant than a lot of my fellow Kings fans. I am just of the belief that it is the minority amount of young players who outright can't be put into games without glaringly hurting the team, even as rookies, that end up as impact players. Im just less tolerant of the risk/reward of the proposition than others, perhaps is why I'll probably never be a parent

Hey, I get it, I'm in the all in or all out boat myself. If they are trying to compete now, go all out and get what you need as long as you create a better team. In this current situation I see no young players that lend themselves to being "untouchable". That is unless you count Cousins as a young player of course. Usually the young players that seem to develop Ok in the eyes of most that are on teams trying to compete in the interim really develop into role players more than anything. Don't quite agree with drafting role players with top 10 picks unless they can defend at an elite level but whatever floats their boats I guess.
PetrieUnderstudy
Rookie
And1: 71

Post#428 » by PetrieUnderstudy » Thu Aug 7, 2014 1:13 am

I believe Terrence Williams is being signed. After reading about the Acy/Outlaw trade I checked out his Twitter (TheRealTWill) and there are hints that he's coming back just like when Moreland tweeted but he didn't say who he signed with. TWill had a workout in Sac July 30th. On August 1 he tweeted "It Def Was Gods Plan, To Take Me This Route I Appreciate That...... #55 Back In Action." He then later re-tweeted a Cousins tweet and August 4 there is a pic of his son in a #55 Kings jersey and he tweeted TW55. Someone then asked him if he was back and he tweeted Lol nah, wishing and praying. I'm guessing he "said" more than he should have and tried back track since nothing was officially announced yet.

I'm expecting him to be signed any day and I like the signing. Acy/Outlaw trade freed up some money to be able to sign him.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#429 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Aug 7, 2014 1:18 am

I'm OK with it, but only if it is with the intentions of another bigger move being involved. These are all the small types of moves a team does to make a bigger one, not clear off a 15th guy who meshed well with your team to sign another one at a position 4 deep wherever you look.

If TWill were signed then the mess in the front court has officially been trumped by the one in the back court.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#430 » by codydaze » Thu Aug 7, 2014 1:43 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:I'm OK with it, but only if it is with the intentions of another bigger move being involved. These are all the small types of moves a team does to make a bigger one, not clear off a 15th guy who meshed well with your team to sign another one at a position 4 deep wherever you look.

If TWill were signed then the mess in the front court has officially been trumped by the one in the back court.

Not sure I see where the mess in the front court is.. DC and Ray at the 1, Nik and Ben at the 2, then you throw TWill in there and I think that is a nice(r) backcourt rather than a mess of one. We can pretty much toss out Terry as he will either be bought out or traded since he's made it pretty clear he doesn't want to play for us. With Nik potentially getting some minutes at the point, it will be nice to have another guy that can come in and eat up some minutes at the 2.
reedrodz
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#431 » by reedrodz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:14 am

Why are we signing crappy players? we get good ones and now we are getting burton.. wtf....
reedrodz
Freshman

Post#432 » by reedrodz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:16 am

Terrence williams is like derrick williams.. both suck. all they know is jumping other than their inconsistent shooting.
reedrodz
Freshman

Post#433 » by reedrodz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:17 am

Ben mclemore Scuk so bad that no team wants him.. no matter how we market him.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#434 » by codydaze » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:48 am

reedrodz wrote:Why are we signing crappy players? we get good ones and now we are getting burton.. wtf....

Deonte Burton is actually a pretty good player, I was surprised he went undrafted. He's a good defender, athletic and good in the pick and roll game. His jumpshot could be more consistent but if he's behind DC and Ray he'd most likely only be used to come in and play defense. I'm happy with this pick up.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#435 » by Kings2013 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:24 am

It's that time of the year coming up.. A lot of questions about which way we are going to go. Signing Omri reasonably should get done, but really a lot of opinions about how to use our remaining space.. Some of the local personalities talking about Matthews, like Deuce Mason and even Napear today. I don't know if we will have the means to do something like that. It will be interesting to see how the off season unfolds though!
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#436 » by SactoKingsFan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:59 am

Matthews is probably out of price range. Would also be a significant risk signing him to long term deal after a significant injury. I think the FO will have to get creative with trades and draft an impact player to significantly improve roster.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#437 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:45 am

I don't know how creative they'll be allowed to get because it takes two to tango, but one thing is for sure, they can't whiff any more with the assets they do have.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#438 » by Kings2013 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:12 am

It was rumored we had an interest in Amir Johnson at the deadline. I don't know how true that rumor was.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#439 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:40 pm

I guess he could be that lanky defender or whatever Vlade was eluding to. Not that much of an upgrade over JT or Landry but at least he would be an upgrade maybe. I would hate to see this team bust their space on someone like that while Landry and JT are still on the books.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#440 » by City of Trees » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:47 pm

Amir? Meh. Ugh. Smh. Whyyyyyyyy

Return to Sacramento Kings