Free Agency

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: Free Agency 

Post#381 » by City of Trees » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:57 am

codydaze wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/492821122464088064[/tweet]

Wondering if we signed him to use a trade chip or if we plan on moving Outlaw or DWill? If not, we now have glut at the 3 and 4. I personally like Casspi over Outlaw for the backup 3 and he fits the uptempo style of play the FO is looking for.
currently Casspi has ZERO trade value. Dude went unclaimed essentially on a minimum salary.

Sent from my SM-G900T using RealGM Forums mobile app
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,530

Post#382 » by codydaze » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:25 am

City of Trees wrote:
codydaze wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/492821122464088064[/tweet]

Wondering if we signed him to use a trade chip or if we plan on moving Outlaw or DWill? If not, we now have glut at the 3 and 4. I personally like Casspi over Outlaw for the backup 3 and he fits the uptempo style of play the FO is looking for.
currently Casspi has ZERO trade value. Dude went unclaimed essentially on a minimum salary.

Have to wonder what this means. After signing him we now have 8 forwards on the team :-?
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#383 » by Kings2013 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:40 am

I was a fan of Omri when he was here. Tough, could hit the J, IIRC board a little and run the floor. I was/am surprised the course his career took as I thought he had the makings of a quality player heading forward. He is still only 26 so he may be young enough to have his best years ahead if he works.

I am still not comfortable with Nik and Ben alone at SG but maybe that will be decided heading forward, we also might be short on a third string pg. The FO still has work
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#384 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:59 am

If this signing really means anything significant, which I doubt it does, then I would think if it does have any implications on anyone it would be Derrick Williams. I'm not sure about the feelings of this franchise about Derrick Williams. Even when DWill lost his role last year and his way in general, Vivek was still spouting about this guy being the type of player than could do it all on the floor. OK, I can see he's versatile but if he doesn't actually get a role and minutes to be that what does it really do for you?
PetrieUnderstudy
Rookie
And1: 71

Post#385 » by PetrieUnderstudy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:43 pm

With the apparent Omri Casspi signing and it rumored that Eric Moreland is signing as well the roster looks like this...
Darren Collison/Ray McCallum
Nik Stauskas/Ben McLemore/Jason Terry
Rudy Gay/Omri Casspi/Travis Outlaw
Reggie Evans/Carl Landry/Derrick Williams/Quincy Acy
DeMarcus Cousins/Jason Thompson/Eric Moreland

I see a trade or two coming very soon. Most likely to go are Jason Terry, Travis Outlaw, Derrick Williams, and Jason Thompson in no particular order.

Pure expirings Terry, Outlaw, and Williams for Josh Smith? Maybe Kings trying to include Landry or Thompson was hold up. Consolidation trade. Allows Pistons to resign Monroe and get out of Smith's contract. Kings use their "cap space next summer" to obtain Smith.

Jason Thompson for Gerald Henderson? Hornets signed Stephenson and drafted Hairston. They could use a big since McRoberts gone and while Vonleh develops. JT could start or be 3rd big. Kings keep their youngins Ben and Nik but they might not be ready to help them win yet. Henderson saves year on JT contract and starts.

Bring back Toney Douglas at veteran minimum or Jared Cunningham or Ra'Shad James from Summer League as 3rd point guard.

Offseason is a success.

Darren Collison/Ray McCallum/Toney Douglas
Gerald Henderson/Nik Stauskas/Ben McLemore
Rudy Gay/Omri Casspi
Josh Smith/Carl Landry/Quincy Acy
DeMarcus Cousins/Reggie Evans/Eric Moreland
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,477

Post#386 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:48 pm

Moreland will get destroyed in this league if he plays at center. He's a PF at heart.
PetrieUnderstudy
Rookie
And1: 71

Post#387 » by PetrieUnderstudy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:20 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:Moreland will get destroyed in this league if he plays at center. He's a PF at heart.

I'm in agreement that Moreland is a PF and not a center. For the depth chart you like this better?

Collison/McCallum/Douglas
Henderson/Stauskas/McLemore
Gay/Casspi/Acy
Smith/Landry/Moreland
Cousins/Evans

Other than Cousins we don't really have a "big" guy. The NBA doesn't have many "big" guys so maybe it isn't necessary. I like this roster because it has veteran starters and some veteran back ups to help the win now mode but young prospects like McCallum, Stauskas, McLemore, Acy, and Moreland for development. A good mix.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#388 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:29 pm

I don't want to jinx anything, but if a certain player goes down for any time this year, we will struggle to win 10 games with our current roster
SacTown Kings
Lead Assistant
And1: 133

Post#389 » by SacTown Kings » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:44 pm

PetrieUnderstudy wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:Moreland will get destroyed in this league if he plays at center. He's a PF at heart.

I'm in agreement that Moreland is a PF and not a center. For the depth chart you like this better?

Gay/Casspi/Acy
Smith/Landry/Moreland
Cousins/Evans

Other than Cousins we don't really have a "big" guy. The NBA doesn't have many "big" guys so maybe it isn't necessary. I like this roster because it has veteran starters and some veteran back ups to help the win now mode but young prospects like McCallum, Stauskas, McLemore, Acy, and Moreland for development. A good mix.

Problem with that is smith isn't actually on our team and JT is lol. Seriously tho from being in discussions about rondo, Bledsoe and smith to not being in discussions and signing casspi is very depressing. Ugggh life as a kings fan.
SacTown Kings
Lead Assistant

Post#390 » by SacTown Kings » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:47 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:I don't want to jinx anything, but if a certain player goes down for any time this year, we will struggle to win 10 games with our current roster

You do realize by saying you don't want to jinx anything you actually did jinx us. I think that's in the jinxing rules somewhere.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#391 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:11 pm

I was talking about Acy :uhoh:
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#392 » by OGSactownballer » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:47 pm

SacTown Kings wrote:
PetrieUnderstudy wrote:

Gay/Casspi/Acy
Smith/Landry/Moreland
Cousins/Evans

Problem with that is smith isn't actually on our team and JT is lol. Seriously tho from being in discussions about rondo, Bledsoe and smith to not being in discussions and signing casspi is very depressing. Ugggh life as a kings fan.

Yes.

You have to wonder what is really holding things up. It's pretty obvious to where and for what Kevin Love will be traded. Can't really use that as an excuse for holding up other transactions now.

So what I question is - are the sticking points on OUR side, or the other potential trade partners? I mean, if we are going to throw the dice in a gambling move, trying to do it halfway and hedge is just not going to get it done. They need to either fish or cut bait. Do we want to win now and take a shot that th combo of DMC/Rudy/Smith/Rondo as a big four foundation works and you fill in around them and go for broke? Or are we sitting on what we have - barring a stupendous no brainer deal that drops in our laps - and wait for the opportunity to swoop on on something for 2016?
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#393 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:31 pm

He had most of his impact at C in the summer league, I think he can swing both. He desperately needs to gain about 15-20 pounds for sure. Not saying he'll see any court time that is. The frontcourt is just so jammed up it's a joke at this point.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#394 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:32 pm

SacTown Kings wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:I don't want to jinx anything, but if a certain player goes down for any time this year, we will struggle to win 10 games with our current roster

You do realize by saying you don't want to jinx anything you actually did jinx us. I think that's in the jinxing rules somewhere.

But you acknowledged the jinx with this post so it reverses the curse.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#395 » by City of Trees » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:51 pm

SacTown Kings wrote:

welp there goes Landry's season. RIPskaterdude, you sir are cruel.

SacKingsPejaFan
Sixth Man
And1: 114

Post#396 » by SacKingsPejaFan » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:17 am

If we're really filling out the roster with Acy, Casspi, and Moreland, I could see that as an indication of the FO attempting a top-heavy roster makeover, e.g., Rondo/Gay/Smith/Cousins + mostly minimum guys and rookie contract guys (Collison and Landry being exceptions in the middle). I think that's the way to go. I don't know if it's doable until next offseason, but if that's the type of roster we have when the new arena opens up, I'll say the FO has done quite the job cleaning up the Maloofs' mess.
SacTown Kings
Lead Assistant

Post#397 » by SacTown Kings » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:17 pm

SacKingsPejaFan wrote:If we're really filling out the roster with Acy, Casspi, and Moreland, I could see that as an indication of the FO attempting a top-heavy roster makeover, e.g., Rondo/Gay/Smith/Cousins + mostly minimum guys and rookie contract guys (Collison and Landry being exceptions in the middle). I think that's the way to go. I don't know if it's doable until next offseason, but if that's the type of roster we have when the new arena opens up, I'll say the FO has done quite the job cleaning up the Maloofs' mess.

Or it could just simply be because no one wants our crap and we have very little money to spend so we have no choice but to sign more scrubs to fill out our roster.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,245

Post#398 » by blind prophet » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:31 pm

Hey one year deal at vets minimum, I wouldn't mind a corpse taking a roster spot at that price.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#399 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:16 pm

SacTown Kings wrote:
SacKingsPejaFan wrote:If we're really filling out the roster with Acy, Casspi, and Moreland, I could see that as an indication of the FO attempting a top-heavy roster makeover, e.g., Rondo/Gay/Smith/Cousins + mostly minimum guys and rookie contract guys (Collison and Landry being exceptions in the middle). I think that's the way to go. I don't know if it's doable until next offseason, but if that's the type of roster we have when the new arena opens up, I'll say the FO has done quite the job cleaning up the Maloofs' mess.

Or it could just simply be because no one wants our crap and we have very little money to spend so we have no choice but to sign more scrubs to fill out our roster.

The silence of draft night has set a tone for the Kings this summer. I'd say it's a safe bet that this is exactly what's going on here. :lol:
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#400 » by Kings2013 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:21 pm

I just hope Gay didn't need to be impressed much to want to sign an extension

Return to Sacramento Kings