ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Agency

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Re: Free Agency 

Post#401 » by enderwilson » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:31 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:I don't want to jinx anything, but if a certain player goes down for any time this year, we will struggle to win 10 games with our current roster

I've been thinking about this and with a roster of:
Collison/McCallum/Douglas
Henderson/Stauskas/McLemore
Gay/Casspi/Acy
Smith/Landry/Moreland
Cousins/Evans

IF "a certain player goes down" IMO we will have enough talent to pick up the pieces. Smith has a decent game in the paint, and more of our offense will be distributed among the backcourt. Last year we had one of the best rebounding front courts in the league thanks to Evans and Cuz. With the defense spread out to cover the long-ball, Smith and Evans can be there to collect the offensive boards. I'm seeing scenarios where this team can be successful given the talent we're accumulating, even if key players were lost for a limited time.
SacTown Kings
Lead Assistant
And1: 133

Post#402 » by SacTown Kings » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:08 am

Not sure how we add Henderson and not sure why. He's not a difference maker and only takes time away from developing stauskas and mclemore. If mclemore has little trade value now it will be even less being buried on the bench. How are we adding Douglas? And Detroit doesn't want to trade smith for our crap. Not sure why people keep adding smith to our roster. Do people still think we are going to get him. I mean I wish we were but doesn't seem like that's going to happen. Am I missing something?
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#403 » by Kings2013 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:33 pm

SacTown Kings wrote:Not sure how we add Henderson and not sure why. He's not a difference maker and only takes time away from developing stauskas and mclemore. If mclemore has little trade value now it will be even less being buried on the bench. How are we adding Douglas? And Detroit doesn't want to trade smith for our crap. Not sure why people keep adding smith to our roster. Do people still think we are going to get him. I mean I wish we were but doesn't seem like that's going to happen. Am I missing something?

There are differing views on that. Myself and maybe the poster believe Ben shouldn't be developing on the court if he is not ready to contribute to an NBA team if we have veterans and a fanbase who want to win. Hopefully Ben quells the argument and is ready to contribute this year, but if not IMO that is what Reno is for and we need another wing to prepare for that. If Ben isn't ready to play his value isn't going to increase IMO by hurting us on the court, and if he's never ready to seriously play, which there is a chance of, we would just be allowing him years to hinder the team without proper payoff

Ideally IMO we are able to bring another capable SG in here for next season. I think it needs to be someone who doesn't expect to start but can man the position if need be, and of course is capable of backing up or handle
being third string if our young SGs are ready to do their things, and hopefully Ben will be
PetrieUnderstudy
Rookie
And1: 71

Post#404 » by PetrieUnderstudy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:29 pm

Kings2013 wrote:
SacTown Kings wrote:Not sure how we add Henderson and not sure why. He's not a difference maker and only takes time away from developing stauskas and mclemore. If mclemore has little trade value now it will be even less being buried on the bench. How are we adding Douglas? And Detroit doesn't want to trade smith for our crap. Not sure why people keep adding smith to our roster. Do people still think we are going to get him. I mean I wish we were but doesn't seem like that's going to happen. Am I missing something?

There are differing views on that. Myself and maybe the poster believe Ben shouldn't be developing on the court if he is not ready to contribute to an NBA team if we have veterans and a fanbase who want to win. Hopefully Ben quells the argument and is ready to contribute this year, but if not IMO that is what Reno is for and we need another wing to prepare for that. If Ben isn't ready to play his value isn't going to increase IMO by hurting us on the court, and if he's never ready to seriously play, which there is a chance of, we would just be allowing him years to hinder the team without proper payoff

Ideally IMO we are able to bring another capable SG in here for next season. I think it needs to be someone who doesn't expect to start but can man the position if need be, and of course is capable of backing up or handle
being third string if our young SGs are ready to do their things, and hopefully Ben will be

Dead on! If the Kings want to be near .500 and competitive they can't afford to "develop" McLemore while starting him. I personally don't like his game at all and wouldn't be upset at the least to see him go. I feel that Stauskas is a better basketball player and fits better with his versatility to not only shoot, but handle and pass. We didn't see the best of Stauskas in Summer League. He was trying to fit into team concept opposed to being the man. I heard an interview with Malone on Napear's show and he said he's excited how Stauskas played with Cousins in practice. People in this forum have said it before but we can't be half way committed to winning and half way committed to developing. I want to win. We may be waiting around for something to develop that never does.

On the Henderson thing. I put together a prospective roster with Henderson starting. In that scenario Jason Thompson would be going to the Hornets. The Hornets could use another big with McRoberts leaving for Heat and Vonleh in development mode. They drafted Hairston and signed Stephenson as a free agent likely making Henderson more expendable. Henderson isn't a great shooter from 3 but is athletic, can defend, and has a proven record in NBA and played on playoff team last year. He also has 1 year less on his contract than JT and as we all know JT could use a change of scenery.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#405 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:38 pm

And that really is a whole other issue with Ben. You can't come out and say, "this is what we want to do!" and then basically the majority of the moves you've made haven't really improved you in the short term. Most of the questions this team needs answered are still there and because of some of the things they've done and likewise, haven't done, they are still there staring back at them even more apparent than before.

I don't even think it's about not being able to afford to develop him, it's a question of whether or not he can develop in that environment. Most rookies that do are of the role player variety or pretty well polished upon entering the league.
SacTown Kings
Lead Assistant

Post#406 » by SacTown Kings » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:23 pm

I dont see Henderson all of a sudden making us a winning team lol. And at the same time it kills any value Mcmlemore might have. I'm all for waving the flag on Mclemore if we bring someone good in. I dont see Henderson as that type of player.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#407 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:34 am

I'm all for Ben being a long term project but if he's a long term project you never let long term projects keep you from making moves in the interim. Clearly they didn't let it on draft night otherwise Stauskas wouldn't have been drafted.
PetrieUnderstudy
Rookie

Post#408 » by PetrieUnderstudy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:57 am

SacTown Kings wrote:I dont see Henderson all of a sudden making us a winning team lol. And at the same time it kills any value Mcmlemore might have. I'm all for waving the flag on Mclemore if we bring someone good in. I dont see Henderson as that type of player.

You are missing the point. No one is saying that Henderson is the answer and that he'll make us a winning. Truth is veterans win in the NBA. Look at the best Kings teams. Spurs, Heat, Bulls, Lakers and Celtics in past. I only suggested Henderson because he is serviceable shooting guard and his salary just happens to match Thompson's and the Hornets may be willing to make the trade.

McLemore is killing his own value. I'm almost starting to think the less he plays may keep his value up because other teams think about his raw talent and upside. However when other teams see more of him on the floor they think "Wow this guy isn't very good."
SacTown Kings
Lead Assistant

Post#409 » by SacTown Kings » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:34 am

Gotcha. Although I don't think Ben can hurt his value by playing him. I don't think he can play worse than he did last year.
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#410 » by teerfour+40LG » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:37 am

Gerald Henderson Jr. would be a huge acquisition for us because he can guard wing players.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,535

Post#411 » by codydaze » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:25 pm

So we're working out and meeting with Terrence Williams now? Chalk this one up under the "wtf" category.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#412 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:59 pm

I was mad they let TWill go back then, but in order for these recent moves to make sense you'd have to tie it back to something that may have crossed over the border from the previous W's regime: SMALL BALL. I'm kind of hoping that "positionless" basketball isn't just really small ball 3.0. And if it is, I hope they do it right. Makes a Smith trade make even more sense because he can at least exist in both worlds at one time.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#413 » by Kings2013 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:28 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:I was mad they let TWill go back then, but in order for these recent moves to make sense you'd have to tie it back to something that may have crossed over the border from the previous W's regime: SMALL BALL. I'm kind of hoping that "positionless" basketball isn't just really small ball 3.0. And if it is, I hope they do it right. Makes a Smith trade make even more sense because he can at least exist in both worlds at one time.

I'm personally not sure how close we are to a Smith deal. Unfortunately ESPN broke the story of our second push for Smith as a deal that was being actively considered by both teams, when in reality IMO I believe it was Detroit rebuffing our advances and then bringing it to the attention of the media to enhance Smith's value. Personally I am not sure if expirings will even get it done, as it was reported in the Detroit Free Press that SVG is looking for value. I am not sure how we could swing the deal with both JT and Landry remaining. We sure aren't giving up significant positive assets, and I don't see where the middle ground is.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,245

Post#414 » by blind prophet » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:30 am

codydaze wrote:So we're working out and meeting with Terrence Williams now? Chalk this one up under the "wtf" category.

Meh....

Much better at the minimum for 1 year than multi year garbage.
SacKingsPejaFan
Sixth Man
And1: 114

Post#415 » by SacKingsPejaFan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:28 am

Well apparently we got Moreland, which IMO is awesome. His shot-blocking in the summer league was a breath of fresh air and will help this team out a lot.

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2014/7/29 ... per-report

With Moreland, Casspi, Acy, and now possibly Terrence Williams, the previous theory I posted about PDA going for a top-heavy roster with a big 3-4 plus a bunch of minimum guys is looking more and more likely. Now to gut out the middle...
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#416 » by SactoKingsFan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:40 am

Don't really see why we'd want Terrence Williams back. He's talented, but doesn't seem like he has high BB IQ.

The Moreland signing makes sense. If anyone from summer league deserved a contract it was him.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,245

Post#417 » by blind prophet » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:02 am

SacKingsPejaFan wrote:Well apparently we got Moreland, which IMO is awesome. His shot-blocking in the summer league was a breath of fresh air and will help this team out a lot.

With Moreland, Casspi, Acy, and now possibly Terrence Williams, the previous theory I posted about PDA going for a top-heavy roster with a big 3-4 plus a bunch of minimum guys is looking more and more likely. Now to gut out the middle...

Hmmm a 3 year deal...

:o

Let's hope its on the cheap with a team option.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#418 » by Kings2013 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:33 am

Wonder if it will affect bringing back Acy
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#419 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:43 am

blind prophet wrote:
SacKingsPejaFan wrote:Well apparently we got Moreland, which IMO is awesome. His shot-blocking in the summer league was a breath of fresh air and will help this team out a lot.

Hmmm a 3 year deal...

:o

Let's hope its on the cheap with a team option.

I would imagine it's a deal similar to Ray that will allow him to develop. I'm glad it's not a one and done, this shows that they see him as a long term investment and he looks like a worthwhile one to me. If he puts on 15 pounds there is a chance he turns into a major piece, and a perfect fit next to Cousins or as a backup to Cousins.
PetrieUnderstudy
Rookie

Post#420 » by PetrieUnderstudy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:34 am

Another possible Kings retread? Dahntay Jones worked out today in Vegas for the Kings, Cavs, Spurs, Thunder, and Wizards.

There was an article on STR today about collecting minimum contracts i.e. Moreland, Casspi, Terrence Williams, and now Jones with anticipation of big trades soon to go down. Maybe it is wishful thinking I was speculating same thing. Any trade the Kings would be making is likely going to be for a guy making significant money and would require mulitple player contracts going out. For example Carl Landry, Jason Terry, and Ben McLemore for Rajon Rondo. Derrick Williams, Jason Thompson, and Travis Outlaw for Josh Smith.

This is just hypothetical based off "rumors". That would be 6 guys going out and only 2 guys coming in. Roster would look like this prior to "the minimums".

Rajon Rondo/Darren Collison/Ray McCallum
Nik Stauskas
Rudy Gay
Josh Smith/Quincy Acy
DeMarcus Cousins/Reggie Evans

Now add in "the minimums" Moreland, Casspi, Terrence Williams, and Jones.

Rajon Rondo/Darren Collison/Ray McCallum
Nik Stauskas/Terrence Williams
Rudy Gay/Omri Casspi/Dahntay Jones
Josh Smith/Quincy Acy/Eric Moreland
DeMarcus Cousins/Reggie Evans

That looks like the kind of roster Coach Malone would want. Top 10 defense in NBA but has guys that can score as well and versatile (this "position-less theme").

Just saying...and hoping.

Return to Sacramento Kings