ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Darren Collison 3yr/$16m 

Post#1 » by ICMTM » Thu Jul 3, 2014 5:50 pm

I like that.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... ento-kings

The Sacramento Kings and guard Darren Collison have agreed to a three-year deal worth $16 million, sources told ESPNLosAngeles.com on Thursday.

The deal is fully guaranteed and is for the Kings' full midlevel exception, sources said. Teams can't officially sign free agents until the NBA's moratorium on deals is lifted July 10.

Collison opted out of the final year of his contract with the Los Angeles Clippers that would have paid him $1.985 million next season. Clippers coach and president of basketball operations Doc Rivers had said re-signing Collison was one of the team's top priorities this offseason.
KANGZZZZZ!
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,245

Re: Darren Collison 3yr/$16m 

Post#2 » by blind prophet » Thu Jul 3, 2014 5:58 pm

Add 1.8 million a year to it if Terry is stretched.

Lose leverage with a IT sign and trade.

Probably not a long term solution for certain.

Wait and see for me, neutral because I'm afraid he takes less elsewhere if we do not act in haste, we gambled by acting in haste, we would have gambled by not acting.

Dice has been cast.
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by ICMTM » Thu Jul 3, 2014 6:06 pm

I'm not an Isaiah Thomas fan.
KANGZZZZZ!
jeffjtk1234
Starter
And1: 401

Post#4 » by jeffjtk1234 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 6:06 pm

Only a 3 year deal. Hes young. He will perform well enough to match his contract. I like it.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#5 » by blind prophet » Thu Jul 3, 2014 6:11 pm

See this thread for future I told you so unless we move some garbage around here soon.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1326655
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#6 » by Little Digger » Thu Jul 3, 2014 6:11 pm

Solid signing and I love seeing the clips get wounded..

BTW..Count me as an Isiah fan..Kid has heart and always kicks butt vs GSW..Then I look at his positive +/- per last season and all I can say is..Woweeeee!
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#7 » by City of Trees » Thu Jul 3, 2014 6:18 pm

blind prophet wrote:Add 1.8 million a year to it if Terry is stretched.
I think that is unfair. Collison has nothing to do with how the team handles IT.

Sent from my SM-G900T using RealGM Forums mobile app
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by ICMTM » Thu Jul 3, 2014 6:20 pm

blind prophet wrote:Image

See this thread for future I told you so unless we move some garbage around here soon.

:eyeroll:

The Kings have to pay that money, and being over the cap in today's NBA is not something that ties you up in free agency.
KANGZZZZZ!
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,534

Post#9 » by codydaze » Thu Jul 3, 2014 6:28 pm

I like the pick up and the contract. 3yr/16m is a solid deal especially when you look at Avery Bradley getting 4yr/32m or Jodie Meeks and his 3yr/19m deal. He's a solid defender and a capable outside shooter (38% on 2.4 attempts last year). It will be interesting to see what happens with Isaiah though, I would still hate to let him walk for nothing in return.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#10 » by blind prophet » Thu Jul 3, 2014 6:31 pm

ICMTM wrote:
blind prophet wrote:Image

:eyeroll:

The Kings have to pay that money, and being over the cap in today's NBA is not something that ties you up in free agency.

Really the cap is having no effect on what we are doing right now for example?

And we are adding to the clutter with no real talent coming back.

So that's eyeroll worthy is it?

Maybe you can't wait a year to better our situation but I don't have that problem of delayed gratification.

Sure I'm open minded to see if we make other moves before the season starts, but you go ahead and think these sorts of investments help us while I try to think of ways to off these contracts long term and get some talent in here.
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#11 » by teerfour+40LG » Thu Jul 3, 2014 6:32 pm

This money would have been better spent on Thabo Sefolosha. This is irrefutable.
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#12 » by SactoKingsFan » Thu Jul 3, 2014 6:37 pm

Not bad considering the other PG options and Avery Bradley's new deal. Collison is probably the best PG available at ~5 M/Year.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#13 » by blind prophet » Thu Jul 3, 2014 6:40 pm

City of Trees wrote:
blind prophet wrote:Add 1.8 million a year to it if Terry is stretched.
I think that is unfair. Collison has nothing to do with how the team handles IT.

Oh but it does if we have to use the stretch, good or bad with real talent coming back or not it does.

And I'll bring up that extra 1.8 million for 3 years unless somehow we work a deal that brings real talent back in return.

Now I'm being reasonable and thinking about this off season, willing to wait and see if we take a talent gamble with a IT S&T, but if not you can count on this being added to the Jarl Thompandry discussions to come later.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#14 » by codydaze » Thu Jul 3, 2014 6:44 pm

teerfour+40LG wrote:This money would have been better spent on Thabo Sefolosha.

Signing Thabo would just clutter the SG position. If there's confidence in Stauskas/Mclemore going forward, why sign Thabo? It's a cheap deal and we get a quality PG in Collison.Very good defender, can shoot the 3, can pass, generally a 15-16 PER player. It will suck to see Thomas go, but the team is headed in the right direction, in my opinion.

I just hope we don't go get Josh Smith now. The longer we put it off, the longer we have to think about the deal and I wouldn't want him to come in and throw off any chemistry we have. Monroe wants him traded. Not a good sign.
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#15 » by teerfour+40LG » Thu Jul 3, 2014 6:52 pm

codydaze wrote:Signing Thabo would just clutter the SG position. If there's confidence in Stauskas/Mclemore going forward, why sign Thabo? It's a cheap deal and we get a quality PG in Collison.Very good defender, can shoot the 3, can pass, generally a 15-16 PER player. It will suck to see Thomas go, but the team is headed in the right direction, in my opinion.

I just hope we don't go get Josh Smith now. The longer we put it off, the longer we have to think about the deal and I wouldn't want him to come in and throw off any chemistry we have. Monroe wants him traded. Not a good sign.

There should be no confidence in Ben McLemore and very little confidence in the rookie Stauskas, especially if they want to make the playoffs next season. Ray McCallum, on the other hand, has earned some confidence.

SG clutter my ass. Ben McLemore is a scrub. He doesn't deserve any minutes on a team trying to make the playoffs.

Again, it is PROVEN that if you replace Ben McLemore in the following lineup

IT - Ben - Gay - Thompson - Cousins

with someone like Thabo, who is a better defender, rebounder, and passer, and has a higher IQ, then the lineup becomes playoff quality. (see here and here)

We have no proof or data of anything with Collison, Stauskas, Smith, or whoever. This is an unnecessary risk and therefore stupid.
jeffjtk1234
Starter
And1: 401

Post#16 » by jeffjtk1234 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 6:58 pm

teerfour+40LG wrote:
codydaze wrote:Signing Thabo would just clutter the SG position. If there's confidence in Stauskas/Mclemore going forward, why sign Thabo? It's a cheap deal and we get a quality PG in Collison.Very good defender, can shoot the 3, can pass, generally a 15-16 PER player. It will suck to see Thomas go, but the team is headed in the right direction, in my opinion.

There should be no confidence in Ben McLemore and very little confidence in the rookie Stauskas, especially if they want to make the playoffs next season. Ray McCallum, on the other hand, has earned some confidence.

SG clutter my ass. Ben McLemore is a scrub. He doesn't deserve any minutes on a team trying to make the playoffs.

with someone like Thabo, who is a better defender, rebounder, and passer, and has a higher IQ, then the lineup becomes playoff quality. (see here and here)

Ben was a rookie last year. Its not unreasonable to think he improves this year. Sefolosha is coming off of one of his worst seasons as a pro.

The money was better spent on collison
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#17 » by City of Trees » Thu Jul 3, 2014 7:09 pm

teerfour+40LG wrote:This money would have been better spent on Thabo Sefolosha. This is irrefutable.
Not if IT costs too much.

codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#18 » by codydaze » Thu Jul 3, 2014 7:12 pm

teerfour+40LG wrote:

We have no proof or data of anything with Collison, Stauskas, Smith, or whoever. This is an unnecessary risk and therefore stupid.

It's unfair to rule out the development of Mclemore. No one is denying he had a horrendous year and looked uncomfortable on the court 80% of the time, but he's 21 years old. Thabo is 30. He also had a pretty bad year and I just can't see why you would want a subpar Thabo on the decline over a young Mclemore with some upside. Collison will definitely improve our perimeter defense and I would much rather have Mclemore or Stauskas next to him than Sefolosha.
Wolfay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 649

Post#19 » by Wolfay » Thu Jul 3, 2014 7:22 pm

Luxury tax bill isn't calculated until the final game of the season, but I guess it's more fun to moan about how we're handicapped for years and pretend the Maloofs are still the owners.

My position on Isaiah is unchanged. Resign him (even for 8 million), or S&T for Rondo. Collison is good...as a backup. He's a terrible as a starter and a huge downgrade from IT.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#20 » by blind prophet » Thu Jul 3, 2014 7:25 pm

Wolfay wrote:Luxury tax bill isn't calculated until the final game of the season, but I guess it's more fun to moan about how we're handicapped for years and pretend the Maloofs are still the owners.

My position on Isaiah is unchanged. Resign him (even for 8 million), or S&T for Rondo. Collison is good...as a backup. He's a terrible as a starter and a huge downgrade from IT.

We need to give them time to finish the off season....

But if we downgrade from Thomas....

Add to the contract clutter....

Get nothing else of merit....

Then start warming up the fat lady to sing some booooooo

Return to Sacramento Kings