ImageImageImageImageImage

Darren Collison 3yr/$16m

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,245

Re: Darren Collison 3yr/$16m 

Post#41 » by blind prophet » Thu Jul 3, 2014 9:09 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:That would have to be a 2017 first? If its sufficiently protected I think you have to pull the trigger at that point. They may ask for Stauskas over McLemore but I think that's where we draw the line.

Looks like Thabo went to Atlanta . . . that being said I never understood the attraction to a 30 year old who seemed on his way down.

No way I'm moving Stauskas in a Rondo deal.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#42 » by City of Trees » Thu Jul 3, 2014 9:38 pm

teerfour+40LG wrote:
enderwilson wrote:
While BMac adds 4.3 more points and costs us less than a million per year. None of those numbers from a single player are going to fix the needs of this team. Anyway, I'm willing to bet that by the end of BMac's rookie contract he will match or exceed Thabo in each of these areas while increasing his offensive output. Even if he doesn't, he's not going to cost us the same amount that Thabo will, giving us future flexibility to bring in talent in other areas. Signing Thabo is riskier than signing Collison because is prevents us from developing the talent we have at that position while also leaves us vulnerable at the PG position if we are unable to retain IT.

Silly. Ben scores 4.3 more points per game on worse TS% and eFG%. On top of that, the team DOES NOT NEED more points from the starting SG with IT, Gay, and Cousins in the starting lineup. The team needs someone who stays out of the way and plays defense, rebounds, passes, etc.

Thabo does not prevent the team from developing Nik Stauskas. He's a 25 minute player. We CAN NOT be unable to retain IT because we have the right to match any contract offer he gets.

The salary argument is dumb. Thabo is a good investment. He would be a starter, we know what his role would be, and there is almost no risk that he is unable to carry out that role. He's not Carl Landry.
here is something to consider:

Do you think OKC, or currently ATL, would accept a Ben McLemore for Thabo Sefolosha trade?

Someone should start a poll on the T&T board.

P.S.
This will not end well for you Teerfour. Most will choose Ben.

Sent from my SM-G900T using RealGM Forums mobile app
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#43 » by teerfour+40LG » Thu Jul 3, 2014 10:05 pm

Maybe the front office just really likes Jared Cunningham...
SacTown Kings
Lead Assistant
And1: 133

Post#44 » by SacTown Kings » Thu Jul 3, 2014 10:38 pm

Why do people keep saying we could of had Thabo for 3-4 million a year. He signed with Atlanta for 4mil and this is sacramento where we have to overpay, so more like 5mil to sign him. I like the Collison signing better anyways.
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#45 » by boogie-reke » Thu Jul 3, 2014 11:08 pm

Hate this unless this is part of a bigger plan soon to be materialized.
SacKingsPejaFan
Sixth Man
And1: 114

Post#46 » by SacKingsPejaFan » Thu Jul 3, 2014 11:59 pm

SacTown Kings wrote:Why do people keep saying we could of had Thabo for 3-4 million a year. He signed with Atlanta for 4mil and this is sacramento where we have to overpay, so more like 5mil to sign him. I like the Collison signing better anyways.

Seriously. Huge difference. He's coming from a team that made deep runs in the playoffs for the past several years. The Hawks just took the #1 seed in the East to game 7 without their best player, Horford, who will be back next year. The Kings weren't even close to making the playoffs. We would have had to pay through the nose. I didn't want him anyway. He has negative value on offense and isn't so elite of a defender that he's worth the trouble.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#47 » by bleeds_purple » Fri Jul 4, 2014 12:15 am

You don't spend two straight lottery picks on SGs to then use your only "cap space" (MLE) on another SG. That would be the epitome of stupidity. Say what you want about Collison (and I'm not saying this was a home run move) but at least it makes sense on some level - i.e. we had the worst defensive back court in the league last year.

I remember when we had Toney Douglas for a couple-dozen games a season back and even he made a noticeable difference being able to at least pressure opposing SGs. Even if we end up with a McCallum/Collison PG rotation just imagine how much better defensively that is compared to what we were working with last year - Vasquez/Thomas/Fredette - a midget and two traffic cones.

As long as we can accomplish a S&T with Thomas I'd be happy with the signing. Going into the off-season we had the weakest back court in the league, so now that we've acquired two pieces there priority number one is upgrading our PF position. If Thomas walks for free then its admittedly a horrible outcome overall - not Landry/Thompson horrible, but horrible nonetheless.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,493

Post#48 » by RIPskaterdude » Fri Jul 4, 2014 1:13 am

Yeah, look, thabo would have been nice if we drafted Payton, but you don't spend two 1st round draft picks on SG and then cast one away after a season.
408Kings
Junior
And1: 12

Post#49 » by 408Kings » Fri Jul 4, 2014 1:27 am

You do if it improves the team.
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#50 » by SmellingColors » Fri Jul 4, 2014 1:29 am

I'll wait to see what happens before I jump to any conclusions but I like the idea of it so far. Let's us look at our front court now. Interested to see who we target and if we can pull anything off. Need to get a s&t out of IT though. Collision wasn't on my radar, neither was Stauskas. One thing I gotta say is the Kings FO seems pretty unpredictable. I like it.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#51 » by blind prophet » Fri Jul 4, 2014 1:30 am

408Kings wrote:You do if it improves the team.

Really?

When you have no room to invest, you do something to improve the team rather than look for a true long term solution?

I disagree.
408Kings
Junior
And1: 12

Post#52 » by 408Kings » Fri Jul 4, 2014 1:38 am

blind prophet wrote:

Really?

When you have no room to invest, you do something to improve the team rather than look for a true long term solution?

I disagree.

...what I meant was that you can never rule out trading any player simply because you just drafted them this year or last. Pretty much no one should be untouchable on a 28 win team if the deal is right. You can still deal Ben and think long term (e.g. future draft pick or prospect + pick, etc.). Would you deal Ben to get rid of Thompson and Landry's contracts? Depending on what the return is, you'd have to consider it is all I'm trying to say.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#53 » by blind prophet » Fri Jul 4, 2014 1:41 am

408Kings wrote:
blind prophet wrote:

Really?

I disagree.

...what I meant was that you can never rule out trading any player simply because you just drafted them this year or last. Pretty much no one should be untouchable on a 28 win team if the deal is right. You can still deal Ben and think long term (e.g. future draft pick or prospect + pick, etc.). Would you deal Ben to get rid of Thompson and Landry's contracts? Depending on what the return is, you'd have to consider it is all I'm trying to say.

Oh ok then, we 100% agree. I misunderstood you by thinking spending money right away for something in theory helps you today but can very well screw you later was what you were promoting.

I'm still going to give them the entire off season to judge, but if nothing much else is done roster wise, I'm gonna be crying for a long long time.
Wolfay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 649

Post#54 » by Wolfay » Fri Jul 4, 2014 1:52 am

blind prophet wrote:

Really?

I disagree.

Depends on the priorities of the owners.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#55 » by blind prophet » Fri Jul 4, 2014 1:59 am

Wolfay wrote:
blind prophet wrote:

Really?

I disagree.

Depends on the priorities of the owners.

You have a guess what we do next considering this move?
Wolfay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 649

Post#56 » by Wolfay » Fri Jul 4, 2014 2:15 am

blind prophet wrote:You have a guess what we do next considering this move?

No, but winning seems to be the priority, and given what has transpired ever since Mayor Johnson announced the ownership group, I expect them to do whatever it takes to make this a premier franchise, on and off the court.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#57 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Jul 4, 2014 2:51 am

ICMTM wrote:
blind prophet wrote:
ICMTM wrote:
:eyeroll:

The Kings have to pay that money, and being over the cap in today's NBA is not something that ties you up in free agency.

Really the cap is having no effect on what we are doing right now for example?

And we are adding to the clutter with no real talent coming back.

So that's eyeroll worthy is it?

Maybe you can't wait a year to better our situation but I don't have that problem of delayed gratification.

Sure I'm open minded to see if we make other moves before the season starts, but you go ahead and think these sorts of investments help us while I try to think of ways to off these contracts long term and get some talent in here.

We can't move Jason Thompson because he's not movable. We can't get people to come here because we had 28 wins. It's not a money issue. The cap isn't preventing guys like Carmelo from visiting Dallas or Houston.

And this:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/484766500289806336[/tweet]

What does that mean??? Someone's getting waived. The current guys have to play better in order to rebuild this roster. That's the end of it.

I gots me a feeling JT getting STRETCHED!!!! Would be stupid to do it on a valuable expiring. You make that kind of move on a longer contract and a player you don't want.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#58 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Jul 4, 2014 2:55 am

Decent pick up overall. Probably a little too much for him but with the values of some of the other deals being signed by much lesser players what can you do. Just have to hope Detroit goes for that IT sign and trade with Smith now. Kings now have one less high usage guy to worry about and someone who will play some defense and spread the floor.

With the moves the team has made so far during their tenure, it's either going to get a bunch of people fired or praise. We shall see what the next follow up is.
LoyalKing
Veteran
And1: 1,392

Post#59 » by LoyalKing » Mon Jul 7, 2014 1:52 am

Another overpay for a below average player. Nothing new for the Kings really.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#60 » by Kings2013 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:42 pm

I already like what I sense of his leadership. Apparently he's working out with some of the younger players now. I was really impressed by an interview I read on another Kings site. I heard he went out of his way to workout with and encourage Ben in Los Angeles. Cuz shared a phone call he had where Darren told him something like he would run through a brick wall for him after Darren signed.

I think Darren has what it takes to surprise this season, a veteran who can really come into his own in the right system

Return to Sacramento Kings