Well, so much for Jason Terry reporting for duty

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

SacKingsPejaFan
Sixth Man
And1: 114

Well, so much for Jason Terry reporting for duty 

Post#1 » by SacKingsPejaFan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:36 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maverick ... api_public

"I wouldn't say it's rebuilding, but a building process," Terry said. "DeMarcus Cousins, a huge talent. Attitude, a little shaky. Rudy Gay, not a proven winner in this league but a tremendous talent and a guy you can build around.

"They're in transition right now. For me, at this point in my career, I want championships."

At $5.45 million, his contract is not great, but it is expiring. Anyone have any thoughts on what we can/should do with him, what we can get for him?
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Re: Well, so much for Jason Terry reporting for duty 

Post#2 » by slicedbread2 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:57 am

You could send him to Orlando or Philadelphia in a simple trade like this:

Philadelphia: Jet, 2015 second(31-49)
Sacramento: Brandon Davies(non-guaranteed)

Unless Hinkie wants more, I could see him wanting more assets otherwise he'd go for it as Philadelphia needs to reach their cap floor.

Orlando: JET, 2015 second
Sacramento: top 55 protected pick in 2016

Unless the Kings have some Euro prospect who may come over, that second will have to be used to move Jet and most likely the Kings will have to buy him out unless they choose to use him in a deal for J-Smoove or nab Rondo.
ADoaN17
Lead Assistant
And1: 312

Post#3 » by ADoaN17 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:59 am

Never expected him to come to Sacramento in the first place. I don't see a team giving up anything of value to get him tbh.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#4 » by blind prophet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:19 am

He wants to play for a championship?

Good luck buddy with that salary.

umm no he is virtually unmoveable unless you take an equal or worse contract back.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#5 » by Darren » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:24 am

I wonder if you do Jet for Felton and 2nd. If so, the Mavs should be very keen on the trade. But I expect Jet to talk buyout and sign with the Mavs with min.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#6 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:17 am

If he doesn't want to come, and why would he because it's unlikely he'd play anyway, then you tell him to sit tight and you'll do what you can to trade him somewhere before the season begins. Let him know though that he's a trade chip so whatever happens to be professional.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#7 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:18 am

Darren wrote:I wonder if you do Jet for Felton and 2nd. If so, the Mavs should be very keen on the trade. But I expect Jet to talk buyout and sign with the Mavs with min.

Not a chance. The Kings just signed Darren Collison long term. I bet the Kings view Terry's deal as a trade chip and won't just buy him out. They better not at least, they might need that contract at the deadline.
SactownHrtBrks8
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#8 » by SactownHrtBrks8 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:40 am

It is annoying that Jason Terry will not report, but it is understandable on his part. If i am the Kings I do not buy him if he does not take a significantly small buyout, otherwise you hold on to him. What happened if he no shows? I know it can have repercussions around the league with other player if you suspend or fine a veteran like Terry for not reporting, but you have to draw the line somewhere, right? Why should they pay him a decent buyout when he is in obstruction with his contract?
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#9 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:47 pm

Screw him.

Teach him and other players who cop that kind of attitude a lesson. Let him sit and rot as an expiring.
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#10 » by ICMTM » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:30 pm

Why are you guys getting so worked up over Terry wanting to go to a winner? I appreciate the honesty. I doesn't mean I think the Kings need to do anything to help his cause, but I do think he has a point.

1. He's going to provide a very small/niche roll to any team he plays on. He's not going to be a main wheel
2. He can't play an entire season as a main guy. He just came off knee surgery.
3. This is probably it for him.

He's not going to get major run on this team. His best fit is with a team who needs a couple of energy plays off the bench. Sometimes it is what it is.
KANGZZZZZ!
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#11 » by blind prophet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:55 pm

We owe him nothing, he will still be a cap hit if bought out.

He can sweep the floor or stay home and collect a free check.

Oh poor Terry, collect your over 5 million for nothing.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#12 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:47 pm

So send him to one of he contenders for cap space. I don't even care about a pick. Just open up five and a half mil for us so we have some more wiggle room to deal still.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#13 » by blind prophet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:46 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:So send him to one of he contenders for cap space. I don't even care about a pick. Just open up five and a half mil for us so we have some more wiggle room to deal still.

No one wants his trash.

Maybe for the absolute minimum, why should we take the full cap hit if he is bought out for less?

His cap hit is the same to us if we buy him out for a cheeseburger, it does not go down nor away, it stays at over 5+ million no matter what we do.
bibby1023
Bench Warmer
And1: 208

Post#14 » by bibby1023 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:51 pm

Seeing how classy our new ownership has been, I can see them buying him out or moving him pretty soon.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#15 » by City of Trees » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:19 pm

Terry to any team for TPE!

Sent from my SM-G900T using RealGM Forums mobile app
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#16 » by ICMTM » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:43 pm

City of Trees wrote:Terry to any team for TPE!

pretty much
KANGZZZZZ!
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#17 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:46 pm

bibby1023 wrote:Seeing how classy our new ownership has been, I can see them buying him out or moving him pretty soon.

It should have nothing to do with class and should have everything to do with protecting your own butt. Buying him out is basically wasting one of the very last trade chips the Kings have. There are no guarantees that expiring contracts will have a ton of value this year but imagine if the Kings did just buy out Salmons or amnesty him? If that happens the Rudy Gay trade probably doesn't happen. The Kings now need to holster those expirings until a deal comes along because since they didn't use the 8th pick as an asset to fix the other issues this roster has it's even more important they hang on to the assets they do have.

Pete needs to let Terry's agent know that he's more than free to explore potential trade destinations and if the Kings see a deal they come up with as acceptable they'll move him. If not he can stay at home, work on his game, and then at the deadline if they can't use him they'll cut him so he can sign with a playoff team, but until then either show up or shut up.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#18 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:49 pm

City of Trees wrote:Terry to any team for TPE!

Expiring contracts are more easily moved since they can be combined with other salary and thus have more value overall. The Kings are already sitting on one TPE that will probably go unused, no need having two of them. It's also doubtful any team is going to take on Terry at his current cost, they will just wait until he is eventually cut. The only way I see Terry being moved to a team willing to take him as a dump, if there is one, is if the Kings really want to use their bi-annual exception or the TPE they have already and need create a little more breathing room from the luxury line.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#19 » by blind prophet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:15 pm

Here is an cheap sample.

Williams and Terry expire and combine for about 12-13 million.

You find a team with someone 10-15 million in long term salary that wants to escape it.

You give them our trash near the deadline as long as you are happy with the long term money coming back.
Dustin5566
Veteran
And1: 64

Post#20 » by Dustin5566 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:51 pm

Tell him he has to report and fine him for every day he is gone. If he fails to report try to void his contract

Return to Sacramento Kings