ImageImageImageImageImage

Cousins, Gay Make Team USA!

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Re: Cousins, Gay Make Team USA! 

Post#21 » by blind prophet » Mon Sep 8, 2014 9:31 pm

boogie-reke wrote:So after 6 games DeMarcus is leading the US big men in almost every category (good or bad) per 40 minutes, besides blocks.

Anthony Davis
26.99 PPG // 12.35 RPG // 1.62 APG // 2.27 SPG // 4.22 BPG // 0.97 TO // 3.25 FPG

Kenneth Faried
23.87 PPG // 14.57 RPG // 0.62 APG // 1.24 SPG // 1.55 BPG // 0.93 TO // 2.79 FPG

DeMarcus Cousins
28.78 PPG // 14.63 RPG // 3.41 APG // 3.9 SPG // 1.46 BPG // 3.41 TO // 5.85 FPG

He is simply a complete player, he has a little of Vlade in him, a little of McHale with the footwork, some Elbow work like Cwebb and Malone, and a tough fella and rebounder.

Really the complete package with the ball, and is capable of improving his game all around. Not much he can do about his jumping ability, but he certainly can become an even better team defender.

Thanks for sharing this.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#22 » by blind prophet » Mon Sep 8, 2014 9:33 pm

boogie-reke wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/briancmahoney/status/508951491441614850[/tweet]

:lol:

Few people say it like they think it is than Cousins, he's a generation or two behind some times, which makes some of us older fellas pleased.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#23 » by Kings2013 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 11:17 pm

blind prophet wrote:
boogie-reke wrote:So after 6 games DeMarcus is leading the US big men in almost every category (good or bad) per 40 minutes, besides blocks.

Anthony Davis
26.99 PPG // 12.35 RPG // 1.62 APG // 2.27 SPG // 4.22 BPG // 0.97 TO // 3.25 FPG

Kenneth Faried
23.87 PPG // 14.57 RPG // 0.62 APG // 1.24 SPG // 1.55 BPG // 0.93 TO // 2.79 FPG

DeMarcus Cousins
28.78 PPG // 14.63 RPG // 3.41 APG // 3.9 SPG // 1.46 BPG // 3.41 TO // 5.85 FPG

He is simply a complete player, he has a little of Vlade in him, a little of McHale with the footwork, some Elbow work like Cwebb and Malone, and a tough fella and rebounder.

Really the complete package with the ball, and is capable of improving his game all around. Not much he can do about his jumping ability, but he certainly can become an even better team defender.

Thanks for sharing this.

I said this on the general thread, but I think the next step for him is the conditioning part. I haven't seen many of the games but that is what stood out and Coach K commented on the shape he's been in. For me, it just needs to stop being an issue so he can run the floor more effectively and be a little more athletic on both sides of the ball. But I expect that he can be a top 5 player, but that is the next step for me. AD looks in condition and it isn't a question mark. But maybe Cuz bulk is what helps him overpower in the post?
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#24 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Sep 9, 2014 12:49 am

Cousins is a big guy, and yes, that's a big advantage for him. I've never really seen any problems with Cousins conditioning to be honest. If the refs called fouls for him the way they do for players like Anthony Davis then I'm sure he'd have something that would be considered on par with great conditioning, haha.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#25 » by blind prophet » Tue Sep 9, 2014 2:30 am

Kings2013 wrote:
blind prophet wrote:

Anthony Davis

Kenneth Faried

DeMarcus Cousins

Thanks for sharing this.

I said this on the general thread, but I think the next step for him is the conditioning part. I haven't seen many of the games but that is what stood out and Coach K commented on the shape he's been in. For me, it just needs to stop being an issue so he can run the floor more effectively and be a little more athletic on both sides of the ball. But I expect that he can be a top 5 player, but that is the next step for me. AD looks in condition and it isn't a question mark. But maybe Cuz bulk is what helps him overpower in the post?

I'm not worried about his bulk, let him toss 99% of the league around like rag dolls. His conditioning is enough to go 30+ mins.

Why would you ask a lineman in football to be built like a WR?

Davis may be fit, but Cousins can throw him around.

Plus he is not just a brute, we all see how mobile he is. What he does not block he makes up with charges.

So opponents may shoot a wee bit better in the paint vs Cousins than Davis or Sanders for example, but Cousins is gonna draw fouls, he's gonna wear people out himself.
nolimit0820
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#26 » by nolimit0820 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:44 pm

Demarcus almost got himself suspended if he threw a punch! Hate how this effects his rep. To us...we consider this a success that he walked away!! Coach K played him still too afterward

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Darren_Errman
Senior
And1: 265

Post#27 » by Darren_Errman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:00 am

He was half way to a throwing a punch there.

Then he tried to make up for it by pulling teammates away from the post-game scuffle :lol:
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#28 » by ICMTM » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:00 pm

nolimit0820 wrote:Demarcus almost got himself suspended if he threw a punch! Hate how this effects his rep. To us...we consider this a success that he walked away!! Coach K played him still too afterward

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Yeah but the Liths were just taking it there. I mean Klay Thompson??? DMC is maturing.
KANGZZZZZ!
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#29 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:59 pm

Good showing from both Cousins and Gay in the championships. Looked like another step forward from Cousins in the defensive area of the game and once again, it appears that he is starting to realize even more that his length can make a huge difference for his team defensively. This whole experience showed the things that Cousins has improved on and can continue to improve on in many areas as well as areas where a team is best suited to play him. He got knocked for his pick and roll D at times but honestly, I don't know if you could go out of your way to construct as defenseless a perimeter combination as Irving, Curry and Harden. Hopefully the improvement from Cuz is even more noticeable with someone like Collison or McCallum guarding the ball handlers up front. This also firmly cemented the fact that Cousins is not going to be best used in the pick and roll where he rolls into the paint and this team ran almost nothing but pick and roll. All in all a good experience that we can all cross our fingers that it will give this team a jump start into next season. Training camp is just a few weeks away.
Darren_Errman
Senior
And1: 265

Post#30 » by Darren_Errman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:07 pm

The defenseless trio of Kyrie Curry and Harden had lapses on rotations, switches, and overall help defense (mainly Kyrie and Harden; I thought Curry did a good job despite his lack of strength), but they did a hell of a job pressuring the ball to trigger their fast break. The effort was outstanding. Cousins' defensive intensity was very nice. If he can defend like that 82 games, the Kings will be in much better shape.

Watching these World Cup games, it became clear to me: during the NBA season Cousins expanded too much energy on offense that his defense suffered. We need to surround him with some offensive talent so he can focus more on defense. He has quick hands and reads the passing lane very well, which helps him deflect passes and poke away balls at a high rate. I rather have a 18ppg with good defense Cousins than a 22ppg with reduced defense Cousins. Defense at the center spot is huge.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#31 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:41 pm

Their pick and roll defense was horrid though and that certainly put the bigs in uncomfortable situations. We just have to hope that Cousins finally got it for sure after this summer because when he started to challenge shots up high, instead of down low, the teams entire defensive scheme was top notch.

The easiest way to lessen Cousins burden offensively is to give him shooters/cutters to pass to while in the course of creating a shot for himself. All he needs is someone to dish to so this preseason better focus on two things in particular: floor spacing and off the ball movement. Guys need to play off of Cousins and get themselves open because if they do their own games will improve dramatically. I like hearing Malone say that Cousins should avg 5 apg but now it's time to see the playbook philosophies actually hit the floor. No more talk and seeing almost nothing but first option guard dominated pick and roll. This is now all on Malone to make it happen. If Cousins is used more as a passer and creates open opportunities for his teammates teams will think twice about using hard doubles on him.

The one thing I'm a little nervous about with Cousins after this experience is his desire to poke so many balls away. He is good at it, and he is very reminiscent of CWebb in that regard, but if he does some of things he did in Spain when the NBA season starts he'll consistently get cheap fouls called on him. They don't let players do that as a primary style of defense in the NBA.

I agree about Cousins focusing more on defense and less on scoring and the way to bridge that loss of production, or at least attempt to make things easier for him as as scorer because there may be no actual loss of production, is to make him more of a facilitator. If he averaged less points but more assists then the realistic give and take probably ends up in the same place within the totality of the entire teams production.
Wolfay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 649

Post#32 » by Wolfay » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:19 am

The Kings were actually around the league average in using the pick and roll, so I don't know where you get this pick and roll dominated offense you're seeing. There's also a strong upward league-wide trend in usage of the pick and roll, so you should get used to it anyway if you want to save the grief of complaining about it in every thread. It's the bread and butter of the NBA for a reason. Better spacing and movement will certainly help, but what the Kings really need to improve on offense is shooting. 28th in 3P made, and 27th in 3P%. Do that, and we're easily a top-10 offense instead of about middle of the pack.

If Cousins keeps putting more effort into his conditioning, he won't have to focus less or more on different things. And it's not that they don't let players poke balls away, it's that they don't let players foul, which what Cousins does because he's often too lazy to get into correct defensive position. I'll give him credit in reducing this bad habit, but he still has a ways to go. The Worlds have me encouraged.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#33 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:33 am

Wolfay wrote:The Kings were actually around the league average in using the pick and roll, so I don't know where you get this pick and roll dominated offense you're seeing. There's also a strong upward league-wide trend in usage of the pick and roll, so you should get used to it anyway if you want to save the grief of complaining about it in every thread. It's the bread and butter of the NBA for a reason. Better spacing and movement will certainly help, but what the Kings really need to improve on offense is shooting. 28th in 3P made, and 27th in 3P%. Do that, and we're easily a top-10 offense instead of about middle of the pack.

If Cousins keeps putting more effort into his conditioning, he won't have to focus less or more on different things. And it's not that they don't let players poke balls away, it's that they don't let players foul, which what Cousins does because he's often too lazy to get into correct defensive position. I'll give him credit in reducing this bad habit, but he still has a ways to go. The Worlds have me encouraged.

Most teams have rosters that can accommodate the pick and roll and don't have dominant inside/outside bigs like Cousins. Pick and roll has seen a major upswing since some of the awesome PG drafts so it's natural, but the fact remains, you build your system around your best player and that is by far Cousins, who is not a great finisher in the pick and roll but he is truly great in areas that historically have brought teams championship rings. His pick and roll abilities were the reason he was almost left off the USA roster and also the reason he had more than a few games where he didn't score all that much. The Kings kind of switched things up at times last year and they never ran a consistent offense but when times got tough the same predictable pick and roll call was made and not a single team was scared. Like I've said before, every team runs it, but this team running a traditional PnR play with the intent of delivering the ball to a finishing big at the rim as anything other than option B or C won't work. I haven't seen any situational stats, but if the Kings are at the league average that alone tells the story. They shouldn't be. I'd like to see a breakdown of those stats if you have them available. I will give Malone a little slack and figure with a training camp and more of a solid understanding of who his top guys are he'll be able to implement that Spurs type of ball he supposedly wants to. They themselves run pick and roll but they are at heart a motion/spread team. They'll run pick and roll to set up a variety of options via the pass to get Parker a head start to the rim, not so Duncan and jam it home at the rim.

Players get called all the time for swiping at balls and quite often the tape shows that if the hand is truly a part of the ball then no call should have been made. They'll give the offensive player the benefit of the doubt most of the time. Also the ball handling ability of players in the NBA is far beyond international play so doing some of the things he did in the championships won't be quite as easy in the NBA.

It's not just about where you want to go, but how you get there. Getting the team wide shooting percentages up will come with more motion, floor spacing, and when the passing option is put into play for it's best players. They sound like they get it, hopefully they do.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#34 » by Kings2013 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:10 pm

Wolfay wrote:The Kings were actually around the league average in using the pick and roll, so I don't know where you get this pick and roll dominated offense you're seeing. There's also a strong upward league-wide trend in usage of the pick and roll, so you should get used to it anyway if you want to save the grief of complaining about it in every thread. It's the bread and butter of the NBA for a reason. Better spacing and movement will certainly help, but what the Kings really need to improve on offense is shooting. 28th in 3P made, and 27th in 3P%. Do that, and we're easily a top-10 offense instead of about middle of the pack.

It is subjective and Kings fans feel differently, but I am with you on the conditioning personally. Body fat down/muscle up IMHO
Wolfay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 649

Post#35 » by Wolfay » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:42 pm

Here's an interesting article you should read SacKingZZZ, and it contains a link to a Google spreadsheet of the Synergy stats regarding the pick and roll. I prefer the eye test to using stats, but your eyes are not lining up with what the Kings or the league in general have been doing. Also if you can't run a pick and roll well, then you can't do the motion offense. You also need SHOOTERS, which is what I've saying for freaking years now. The Spurs motion offense works so well because of the Parker/Duncan PnR tandem and their complement of shooters.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2199 ... todays-nba
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#36 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:11 am

Wolfay wrote:Here's an interesting article you should read SacKingZZZ, and it contains a link to a Google spreadsheet of the Synergy stats regarding the pick and roll. I prefer the eye test to using stats, but your eyes are not lining up with what the Kings or the league in general have been doing. Also if you can't run a pick and roll well, then you can't do the motion offense. You also need SHOOTERS, which is what I've saying for freaking years now. The Spurs motion offense works so well because of the Parker/Duncan PnR tandem and their complement of shooters.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2199 ... todays-nba

Thanks for the link, those stats show me exactly what I wanted to see. My point is about the intent of the Kings pick and roll, I've said many times running pick and roll is almost essential in the NBA because of the shot clock limitations but WHY you are running and in what variation is the key.

One thing though, I'm not sure this article is distinguishing between the "pick and roll" and "pick and pop". The last few years less and less analysts are doing so, why, I have no idea. Many people these days are calling a simple ball screen a pick and roll when it's not. Also those stats are used for plays that END off of a pnr, it doesn't account for reset offense which I'm sure the Kings would be high on the list for number of pick and rolls ran that didn't end in a shot, a foul, or a turnover directly.

The Spurs are indeed good example of what I was talking about and that article you posted, shows it:

"For example, 23 percent of the San Antonio Spurs' offensive plays came within pick-and-rolls last season. About 16.6 percent of those sets ended with the ball-handler, while 6.4 finished with the roll man."

And as I said above previously:

"They themselves run pick and roll but they are at heart a motion/spread team. They'll run pick and roll to set up a variety of options via the pass to get Parker a head start to the rim, not so Duncan and jam it home at the rim."

Nope, these eyes don't lie. The Spurs still finished with a higher big man efficiency too. The problem with the Kings is the intent was clearly most times to get the ball back to the roll man (and it better be because that was usually your franchise player running it) but getting it to the roll man often didn't happen because of a multitude of factors, most important in my mind is that other teams just simply didn't let the screen take them out of their defensive strategy. When the roll man was in the paint they just slid over and packed it.

As I've also stated before, the Vlade/Webber Kings teams ran a lot of screen and roll too, but they also did it mostly to start their motion and/or rely on it more as a guard screen from which to shoot behind or dish back out to the popping big man. These are the type of pick and roll plays I don't have a problem with the Kings running, but running roll man heavy pick and roll is not going to be this teams strength. Sure, you can do it at times but the intent needs to be overall motion, and I think it was with Malone, at least I hope, but he couldn't just fabricate that chemistry right off the bat.

And the most interesting part of the article:

"To succeed in the NBA, teams need to have a pick-and-roll identity, whether it's on offense or defense. They aren't everything—the Sacramento Kings, a 28-win disaster, ranked in the top 10 of both pick-and-roll defense and offense last year—but they're a start, a foundation."

Very interesting indeed, now, I think there might be a correlation here maybe? Run roll man heavy 2 man game pick and roll as your top option and don't expect that to change anytime soon. This backs up EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Running a singular play into the ground is what happened plenty of times and there is plenty of tape out there that clearly shows it. I guess if you do something enough times you're averages in that area will go up, hahaha. Too bad your wins won't. :wink: There were many times they would run the same screen play 3 or more times in a single possession. That won't work. The only pick and roll that seemed to have teams a little flustered was the pick and roll they ran through Rudy Gay.

The good news is they seem to know the issues and they've spoken about them before, so Malone gets a training camp to make it work. He mentions the Spurs, hopefully he watches how the play develops beyond the first screen in their offense. They run pretty much the same system the Jazz used to under Sloan, which really isn't much different from the Adelman era Kings. It's all based on motion and spreading the ball around. I've heard this brain trust say it many times now, hopefully we see it.

Also just for the record, after reading your post above, WE AGREE. I totally don't disagree with anything your saying. Once and for all I'm primarily talking about Cousins being used as a roll man with the intent being finding him at the rim for high percentage look. He's not a great finisher and he can pretty much create anything at the rim for himself, he's not a great finisher in the pick and roll, no skin off our backs, he can do things at the rim few other big men in the entire league can do on their best day. I say do something with that. :nod:

Return to Sacramento Kings