Starting/primary lineup?

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

[theboogieman]
Ballboy
And1: 0

Starting/primary lineup? 

Post#1 » by [theboogieman] » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:30 am

Hey, new poster here.

Does anyone think that this starting lineup could have success?

Collison
Mclemore
Stauskus
Gay
Cousins

If not, do you think it could work as a lineup that receives the most playing time and finishes games?
I believe it fits the mold of "position less" basketball and it also seems like a good offensive fit. I don't think Rudy would be put at too much of a disadvantage defensively because of his length and quickness. I also think he is actually stronger than given credit for. To me, stauskus matching up with bigger small forwards would be the biggest issue.
ADoaN17
Lead Assistant
And1: 312

Re: Starting/primary lineup? 

Post#2 » by ADoaN17 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:49 am

I'm sure we will see that lineup at times but it won't be the starting lineup. Rudy cannot gaurd 4s and you can see in the FIBA tournament that he struggles guarding bigs. Also Ben would most likely play the 3 in this situation.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#3 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:00 pm

I'm wondering if Gays success in FIBA is going to give Malone any ideas. I mean, he is a matchup nightmare at PF. The rebounding would be terrible though and the defense is going to suffer.

That's another reason why Josh Smith is potentially a great fit IMO. On most nights a Gay/Smith combo is big enough to guard both SF and PF interchangeably. Defensively it can work and it could allow you to switch a lot of different pick and roll situations defensively. Too bad that ship has probably sailed.
Wolfay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 649

Post#4 » by Wolfay » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:38 pm

I guess we didn't learn our lesson from playing Tyreke out of position. FIBA PFs aren't NBA PFs, and do you think Stauskas can defend or score on guys like LeBron or Durant?
[theboogieman]
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by [theboogieman] » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:40 am

Yeah Lebron and Durant probably wouldn't even notice Stauskus was guarding them lol. They would have a field day against him.
However I don't think it's similar to the tyreke situation at all because everyone in the suggested lineup would play their natural role offensively. By taking reke out of his primary ballhandler/playmaker/lead guard role and sticking him at the 3 pretty much removed him from the offense.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,442

Post#6 » by KF10 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:38 am

All I know is both Rudy & Cousins are the starting SF/C, respectively, lol.

Honestly though, I won't be surprised if this was the opening starting 5 (assuming no trades/injuries from now until start of season):

Collison
BMac
Rudy
Reggie
Cousins
Darren_Errman
Senior
And1: 265

Post#7 » by Darren_Errman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:21 pm

No.

McLemore needs to come off the bench. He's not starter material right now.

Collison
Stauskas
Gay
dirty-work type player (every good starting 5 needs one)
Boogie
JohnFreeman
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#8 » by JohnFreeman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:53 am

The defense :nonono:
RedAlice
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#9 » by RedAlice » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:06 am

[theboogieman] wrote:Yeah Lebron and Durant probably wouldn't even notice Stauskus was guarding them lol. They would have a field day against him.
However I don't think it's similar to the tyreke situation at all because everyone in the suggested lineup would play their natural role offensively. By taking reke out of his primary ballhandler/playmaker/lead guard role and sticking him at the 3 pretty much removed him from the offense.

So I guess Rudy Gay was noticed while Durant drove or made a 3...
King Baller
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Post#10 » by King Baller » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:13 pm

There is no "stopping" Lebron or Durant. Rudy does a good job of keeping them at their scoring average.

I'm not a fan of "small ball" because I think it gets pounded in the paint and puts too much pressure on the one Big who in this case is the KIngs best player. Cousins will get in foul trouble with this midget lineup.

I like Evans or JT as the starting PF. Landry will provide scoring off the bench and Moreland is the Dark Horse who could supplant any of them if his game translates to the NBA from Summer League.

That said the OP's lineup will be seen. I just hope it is limited to when other teams go small. Or perhaps for short stretches to take advantage of other teams weak bench lineups.

KB
"I don't want to hear what he can't do. Tell me what the player can do to help us." Bill Walsh
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#11 » by City of Trees » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:15 am

Collison
Sessions
Gay
Williams
Cousins

Or

Collison
McLemore
Gay
Landry
Cousins

Sent from my SM-G900T using RealGM Forums mobile app
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,232

Post#12 » by blind prophet » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:10 am

To me it really matters who finishes and plays the most most useful mins.

But

Collison
Stauskas
Gay
Evans
Cousins

Primary bench

Sessions
McLemore
Casspi
Landry
Thompson

Possible mins to trade Williams

Hardly used McCallum
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#13 » by Kings2013 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:57 am

blind prophet wrote:To me it really matters who finishes and plays the most most useful mins.

But

Collison
Stauskas
Gay
Evans
Cousins

Primary bench

Sessions
McLemore
Casspi
Landry
Thompson

Hardly used McCallum

That's what I think it might be, with the exception of DWill possible battling out Casspi on the bench.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#14 » by blind prophet » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:00 am

Kings2013 wrote:
blind prophet wrote:To me it really matters who finishes and plays the most most useful mins.

But

Collison
Stauskas
Gay
Evans
Cousins

Primary bench

Sessions
McLemore
Casspi
Landry
Thompson

Hardly used McCallum

That's what I think it might be, with the exception of DWill possible battling out Casspi on the bench.

Yeah the first unit has plenty of scoring, so Evans sets some picks and bangs around for boards.

Second unit offense carried by Sessions and Landry if he recovers, Casspi for opening up the key some from the perimeter or go athletic with Williams. They are gonna have to play Williams some if they want to move his contract to get a longer signed player in a deal.

We will probably hardly see Moreland will be inactive or D league until there is an injury.
RedAlice
Ballboy

Post#15 » by RedAlice » Wed Oct 1, 2014 5:12 am

King Baller wrote:There is no "stopping" Lebron or Durant. Rudy does a good job of keeping them at their scoring average.

I'm not a fan of "small ball" because I think it gets pounded in the paint and puts too much pressure on the one Big who in this case is the KIngs best player. Cousins will get in foul trouble with this midget lineup.

I like Evans or JT as the starting PF. Landry will provide scoring off the bench and Moreland is the Dark Horse who could supplant any of them if his game translates to the NBA from Summer League.

That said the OP's lineup will be seen. I just hope it is limited to when other teams go small. Or perhaps for short stretches to take advantage of other teams weak bench lineups.

KB

The problem of Rudy is that when he is on the court with only another big man, it's not really a "small ball" lineup. We better have three guards if B-MAC is on the court with him.

The hope of Gay becoming a long term member of SAC lies on that he become a real power forward, create space by his post-up/dribble instead of throwing bad jump shots. His not agile enough to guard FIBA 4s even now...
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#16 » by bleeds_purple » Wed Oct 1, 2014 8:08 pm

I know this is a pipe dream but can we just lock D Will in the room with an endless stream of Boris Diaw footage. Am I crazy to think he has the skill set to emulate him as a four man off the bench?
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#17 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Oct 1, 2014 9:39 pm

Boris Diaw is tough, Diaw came into the league as a true PG. Or at least it was attempted. Diaw has ball handling and passing abilities that are well beyond the scope of what D Will is and most likely will be at this level. At this point Dwill would probably be better off looking at footage of Patrick Patterson or some other stretch 4.

Word is that JT is going back to that 3 point shot. I think if he can finally show that at the NBA level he'll fit this team finally. Part of the reasoning for him being drafted as high as he was was his 3 point potential. Hopefully he can focus in and become a Robert Horry type of player.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#18 » by blind prophet » Wed Oct 1, 2014 11:18 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:Boris Diaw is tough, Diaw came into the league as a true PG. Or at least it was attempted. Diaw has ball handling and passing abilities that are well beyond the scope of what D Will is and most likely will be at this level. At this point Dwill would probably be better off looking at footage of Patrick Patterson or some other stretch 4.

Word is that JT is going back to that 3 point shot. I think if he can finally show that at the NBA level he'll fit this team finally. Part of the reasoning for him being drafted as high as he was was his 3 point potential. Hopefully he can focus in and become a Robert Horry type of player.

Horry was high IQ and about as clutch as anyone I've ever seen. JT seems pretty much just a decent guy at most things but works fairly hard at least, well most of the time.

I like my chances picking some lottery numbers than JT becoming Horry 2.0.

I remember when the Kings were gonna trade L-Train for him back in the day, Horry's picture should be in the dictionary for role player.
Darren_Errman
Senior
And1: 265

Post#19 » by Darren_Errman » Thu Oct 2, 2014 12:04 am

Go small FIBA style.

Collison
Ramon
Stauskas
Gay
Boogie

:lol: :lol: :lol:
RedAlice
Ballboy

Post#20 » by RedAlice » Thu Oct 2, 2014 2:54 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:I know this is a pipe dream but can we just lock D Will in the room with an endless stream of Boris Diaw footage. Am I crazy to think he has the skill set to emulate him as a four man off the bench?

I would rather expect DMC to play more like Diaw. Look, they can both post up, drive, pass and get offensive rebounds :D

Return to Sacramento Kings