ImageImageImageImageImage

Kings sign Sessions

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

dozencousins
Analyst
And1: 135

Kings sign Sessions 

Post#1 » by dozencousins » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:34 pm

Kings sign free agent point guard Ramon Sessions to a 2 year 4.1 million deal using their bi annual exception .
Wolfay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 649

Re: Kings sign Sessions 

Post#2 » by Wolfay » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Solid backup PG for a what I think is a great contract. This also could potentially make McLemore and/or Ray more expendable as trade assets. Very shrewd signing. Some might think this is bad for Ray, but on the contrary I think it's good for him, since the short length of the contract buys time for Ray to develop, or gives him the opportunity to play elsewhere if he's traded.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#3 » by City of Trees » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:01 pm

This signing makes us better. Enough said.

Sent from my SM-G900T using RealGM Forums mobile app
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#4 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:01 pm

Well, the only way this makes any sense is if that Smith deal goes down like tomorrow and McCallum is involved. If not, I hate to say it, but the more things change... Solid player but another score first, pass later, not really much defense to speak of PG right here. OK, waiting v 14.6 begins.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#5 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:14 pm

City of Trees wrote:This signing makes us better. Enough said.

But when and where does he play and who does it hurt? You have two scorers at SG who you blew top 10 picks for. Sit them and what does it do to their value? I'd figure at some point after these last 5 years of seeing it, the fans would kind of be able see the results of unnecessary stacking. First it was at PF with Hickson, drafting TRob and then re-signing JT. Now transition that to the backcourt and you're done. Going with this kind of quantity doesn't work and if it makes you better it's at the cost of someone else on the roster. No two ways about it, this team CAN'T go into next season looking like this just in terms of player value. Looks solid on paper but just because you can list 3 solid guys at each spot who can score doesn't remotely translate to good on the court product.

This has to result in that Smith trade in order to make any sense PERIOD.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#6 » by City of Trees » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:23 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:

But when and where does he play and who does it hurt? You have two scorers at SG who you blew top 10 picks for. Sit them and what does it do to their value? I'd figure at some point after these last 5 years of seeing it, the fans would kind of be able see the results of unnecessary stacking. First it was at PF with Hickson, drafting TRob and then re-signing JT. Now transition that to the backcourt and you're done. Going with this kind of quantity doesn't work and if it makes you better it's at the cost of someone else on the roster. No two ways about it, this team CAN'T go into next season looking like this just in terms of player value. Looks solid on paper but just because you can list 3 solid guys at each spot who can score doesn't remotely translate to good on the court product.

it makes sense without the Smith trade. Step away from the ledge. Kings where counting on two sophomores and a rookie to lead the back court. Signing a vet like Sessions makes so much sense.

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#7 » by City of Trees » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:32 pm

Odds of both McLemore and Stauskas showing up every night are slim. I can see McCallum still seeing minutes, especially on night McLemore or Stauskas struggle.

Also I have no problem with Sessions and Collison helping the young guys develop.

SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#8 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:35 pm

City of Trees wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

it makes sense without the Smith trade. Step away from the ledge. Kings where counting on two sophomores and a rookie to lead the back court. Signing a vet like Sessions makes so much sense.

When you draft players, and in particular someone like a Stauskas who would certainly be considered a less upside type, you are basically drafting them because they are more ready now. If you drafted a rookie out of the lotto (less value to lose whilst being buried in the rotation), who is a little more raw, maybe more of an upside type, then fine, go out and stick a middling vet in from of them and let them develop. That didn't happen here, this team just used the best asset they had on draft night and a possible key component to getting out of the roster mess they are still in on a fit type of player.

Did this same thing years ago, do it now, figure out the rotation, the minutes and the shot attempts and get it to work. Good luck. If Session is scoring punch off the bench then what is Landry?

There is indeed a ledge here and it's the Kings who are dangerously close to teetering off of it. Not that they are destined for failure but they are certainly destined to potentially re-create another TRob scenario. As an individual signing the deal isn't bad, but as an individual trade the Williams deal wasn't either right? How is that working out thusfar? Knowing what it looked like before Gay cut his life line off of course. How is Gays veteran presence helping out 'ol DWill? Now imagine if the Kings drafted Williams instead. Much worse huh?

C'mon Pete get the deal that makes this all make more sense done, I'm sure there is one.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#9 » by KF10 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:54 pm

Adding Sessions tells me that the Kings do not feel comfortable having McCallum as at the primary backup for Collison or feel they can't compete with other teams if the guard rotation consists of Ben & Nik soaking in significant minutes at the 2. Sessions can play the 1 and the 2 and, in turn, forces our young guys to work harder.

Collison & Sessions 1-2 punch isn't a bad thing, IMO. This only adds the the competition for the rest the of guys on the roster. We need more battle-tested, solid veterans more than ever if we want to win now and I think we did by adding Sessions (& Collison) to the roster.
willywazza
Bench Warmer
And1: 412

Post#10 » by willywazza » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:03 am

I find it interesting how Sessions always ends up on rebuilding teams.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#11 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:05 am

KF10 wrote:Adding Sessions tells me that the Kings do not feel comfortable having McCallum as at the primary backup for Collison or feel they can't compete with other teams if the guard rotation consists of Ben & Nik soaking in significant minutes at the 2. Sessions can play the 1 and the 2 and, in turn, forces our young guys to work harder.

Collison & Sessions 1-2 punch isn't a bad thing, IMO. This only adds the the competition for the rest the of guys on the roster. We need more battle-tested, solid veterans more than ever if we want to win now and I think we did by adding Sessions (& Collison) to the roster.

Competition is good... when you are established and winning and/or not trying to build value where there is little or none. I've heard the "if they play hard in practice...blah, blah, blah." stuff enough to see it coming from the distance via the visual stink lines venting off from it. Same old story, you can't try to win and build rookies at the same time. Pick a side Pete. You can go sign an infinite number of middling vets who are good value, I'm sure some could argue Landry in a bubble is good value. Real games aren't played in a bubble unfortunately. Not one individual move of this variety can make or break you, but it can have as many if not more negative overall effects than positive ones in the overall picture. And the more of those individual moves you make of that variety the more you can without question dig a hole deep enough to not get out of within the context of your current construction.

I am just hoping beyond hope this isn't some kind of "data" thing. Hollins? Sessions? Why contender team flyer leftover types all of a sudden? I think this team will only get better from the implementation of a proper system and chemistry so this deal on the floor may have no negative effects, but like I said, it will only come at the expense of someones value.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#12 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:11 am

willywazza wrote:I find it interesting how Sessions always ends up on rebuilding teams.

Sessions is working his way down the pay scale ladder from the point where he was at that Beno level. With the influx of PG's in those solid drafts players like Beno and Sessions have been sliding further down and down. Historically he's inconsistent and is primarily a basket driver.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#13 » by KF10 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:24 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:Competition is good... when you are established and winning and/or not trying to build value where there is little or none. I've heard the "if they play hard in practice...blah, blah, blah." stuff enough to see it coming from the distance via the visual stink lines venting off from it. Same old story, you can't try to win and build rookies at the same time. Pick a side Pete. You can go sign an infinite number of middling vets who are good value, I'm sure some could argue Landry in a bubble is good value. Real games aren't played in a bubble unfortunately. Not one individual move of this variety can make or break you, but it can have as many if not more negative overall effects than positive ones in the overall picture. And the more of those individual moves you make of that variety the more you can without question dig a hole deep enough to not get out of within the context of your current construction.

I am just hoping beyond hope this isn't some kind of "data" thing. Hollins? Sessions? Why contender team flyer leftover types all of a sudden? I think this team will only get better from the implementation of a proper system and chemistry so this deal on the floor may have no negative effects, but like I said, it will only come at the expense of someones value.

Competition is always good regardless of winning or losing. If we give the players rewards without them earning it, what type of message we are sending out? Adding Sessions forces the young players who thought they can get a free meal without putting a lot of work to re-evaluate themselves. I want players who will work hard and do their jobs within the team setting. Guys like Rudy, Reggie, Sessions, Collison, Landry, Hollins, Casspi who have played in the league for a while now, knows how to act like professional... but more importantly, some of those guys knows what it takes to win. We need that...badly.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#14 » by Kings2013 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:53 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:

I think the Smith ship has pretty much sailed as Monroe signed the QO and we are two weeks from camp
SactownHrtBrks8
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#15 » by SactownHrtBrks8 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:10 pm

I do not get how anyone could not like this signing. The Kings needed to add another ball-handler. They did not spend that much. His contract would be easily movable if necessary and is not really a long-term deal. It also gives them more flexibility to make a move. if the two young shooting guards are not playing well, they can also play Sessions with Collison.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#16 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:22 am

KF10 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:Competition is good... when you are established and winning and/or not trying to build value where there is little or none. I've heard the "if they play hard in practice...blah, blah, blah." stuff enough to see it coming from the distance via the visual stink lines venting off from it. Same old story, you can't try to win and build rookies at the same time. Pick a side Pete. You can go sign an infinite number of middling vets who are good value, I'm sure some could argue Landry in a bubble is good value. Real games aren't played in a bubble unfortunately. Not one individual move of this variety can make or break you, but it can have as many if not more negative overall effects than positive ones in the overall picture. And the more of those individual moves you make of that variety the more you can without question dig a hole deep enough to not get out of within the context of your current construction.

Competition is always good regardless of winning or losing. If we give the players rewards without them earning it, what type of message we are sending out? Adding Sessions forces the young players who thought they can get a free meal without putting a lot of work to re-evaluate themselves. I want players who will work hard and do their jobs within the team setting. Guys like Rudy, Reggie, Sessions, Collison, Landry, Hollins, Casspi who have played in the league for a while now, knows how to act like professional... but more importantly, some of those guys knows what it takes to win. We need that...badly.

Once again, if it has an end result and the loser gets scuttled off for need sake then good, go for it. But competition that results the destruction of value to assets for a team most likely needing to trade their way out of the mess they are in is in the end not good. Just like "competition" for Thomas Robinson wasn't good for his VALUE. That's what the Kings should be worrying about right now. And playing time is always key. Play someone 5 mpg and bench them at the first sign of struggle because they are young and will make mistakes, which will cost you games perhaps, is not the way to go. This is why it's so hard to develop young talent and win at the same time if you are also trying to maintain the trade value of that young talent.

I want players that will work hard too, but if that's what you are going for then don't bury lotto picks on the bench and eventually create the next TRob. Seen this story before, know how it ends. :-?
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#17 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:30 am

SactownHrtBrks8 wrote:I do not get how anyone could not like this signing. The Kings needed to add another ball-handler. They did not spend that much. His contract would be easily movable if necessary and is not really a long-term deal. It also gives them more flexibility to make a move. if the two young shooting guards are not playing well, they can also play Sessions with Collison.

It's not just about the signing, it's about the strain and potential to go down a road a certain previous ownership and GM went down. I don't know how people can't see a field of rakes and a huge pair of clown shoes as a potential hazard.

This has been the Kings front office for how many years now?:

Still willing to give them more time but they are running out before they are basically forcing themselves into another rebuild. I just don't have full faith in there being some kind of plan other than senseless stacking but maybe they are totally aware of what they are doing and the fact that their are 15 people running the show, some of which that don't exactly have the greatest team building track record, is just a complete coincidence.

If this is what it is then Malone better know what he's doing because he's got a tough job and he is the only one that can make it work. Making it work unfortunately involves crushing trade value if the FO doesn't fix it.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#18 » by KF10 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:36 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:Once again, if it has an end result and the loser gets scuttled off for need sake then good, go for it. But competition that results the destruction of value to assets for a team most likely needing to trade their way out of the mess they are in is in the end not good. Just like "competition" for Thomas Robinson wasn't good for his VALUE. That's what the Kings should be worrying about right now. And playing time is always key. Play someone 5 mpg and bench them at the first sign of struggle because they are young and will make mistakes, which will cost you games perhaps, is not the way to go. This is why it's so hard to develop young talent and win at the same time if you are also trying to maintain the trade value of that young talent.

I want players that will work hard too, but if that's what you are going for then don't bury lotto picks on the bench and eventually create the next TRob. Seen this story before, know how it ends. :-?

How many years do we have to devote in "rebuilding" & "youth" play within the Cousins era? We have 3 more seasons left (after this one) before Cousins is at the end of his contract with Sacramento. I think enough is enough. The Kings need to turn its gears from the rebuilding/youth gear into almost-ready/win gear sooner than later. That's my take for everything that's transpired during this summer. These moves has helped in that regard, IMO. I don't want Cousins to bolt if the rebuilding phase goes bad (again).
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#19 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:28 am

KF10 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:Once again, if it has an end result and the loser gets scuttled off for need sake then good, go for it. But competition that results the destruction of value to assets for a team most likely needing to trade their way out of the mess they are in is in the end not good. Just like "competition" for Thomas Robinson wasn't good for his VALUE. That's what the Kings should be worrying about right now. And playing time is always key. Play someone 5 mpg and bench them at the first sign of struggle because they are young and will make mistakes, which will cost you games perhaps, is not the way to go. This is why it's so hard to develop young talent and win at the same time if you are also trying to maintain the trade value of that young talent.

How many years do we have to devote in "rebuilding" & "youth" play within the Cousins era? We have 3 more seasons left (after this one) before Cousins is at the end of his contract with Sacramento. I think enough is enough. The Kings need to turn its gears from the rebuilding/youth gear into almost-ready/win gear sooner than later. That's my take for everything that's transpired during this summer. These moves has helped in that regard, IMO. I don't want Cousins to bolt if the rebuilding phase goes bad (again).

I think you're missing my point, I'm more worried about devoting more years into trying to exist within both phases of team development. It's very hard to do and risky when you are using lotto picks to do it. If Sessions pushes Stauskas out of the rotation, or even Ben gets pushed out because of Stauskas and Sessions then this is the exact reason why you cut off the potential stumbling block before it happens. It happening or not at this point isn't the problem, it might not happen, but the problem is what happens if and when it does and whether or not it's a safer bet to make sure it doesn't happen while also possibly making your team better. If they were trying to "win now" it was probably much wiser to have traded that lotto pick, and even wiser to not create a situation where you used lotto picks on players that might not be ready to help you and at positions of which you've continued to stack players deserving of time. Like I said, out of lotto picks are worth the gamble, top 10 picks AREN'T. Hopefully Malones answer isn't playing a guy every other game so they can all get some minutes because it is a team destroyer, we saw Malone tinker with some of what we'lI call, "Smart ball" last year, and if he does it next year and they aren't winning it will crush this team and by that time it would have already have killed pretty much everyones value as well.
SactownHrtBrks8
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#20 » by SactownHrtBrks8 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:18 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
SactownHrtBrks8 wrote:I do not get how anyone could not like this signing. The Kings needed to add another ball-handler. They did not spend that much. His contract would be easily movable if necessary and is not really a long-term deal. It also gives them more flexibility to make a move. if the two young shooting guards are not playing well, they can also play Sessions with Collison.

It's not just about the signing, it's about the strain and potential to go down a road a certain previous ownership and GM went down. I don't know how people can't see a field of rakes and a huge pair of clown shoes as a potential hazard.

This has been the Kings front office for how many years now?:

Still willing to give them more time but they are running out before they are basically forcing themselves into another rebuild. I just don't have full faith in there being some kind of plan other than senseless stacking but maybe they are totally aware of what they are doing and the fact that their are 15 people running the show, some of which that don't exactly have the greatest team building track record, is just a complete coincidence.

If this is what it is then Malone better know what he's doing because he's got a tough job and he is the only one that can make it work. Making it work unfortunately involves crushing trade value if the FO doesn't fix it.

I am not in agreement that you do not add players because you worry that it will hurt your other players trade value. If Stauskis and McLemore cannot play better than Sessions, then they should not play. The front office obviously have more faith in those players developing and earning their minutes more than you do. Both of those guys are in the perfect situation to runaway with the starting SG position. Competition cannot do anything but help them.

Return to Sacramento Kings