ImageImageImageImageImage

Would the Kings offer Rondo a max salary contract?

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Re: Would the Kings offer Rondo a max salary contract? 

Post#21 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:01 pm

C'mon Mavs you can do it! If the deal were right you probably have to do it, if it takes all the Kings assets they are stupid to pull the trigger.

The simultaneous acquisition of Smith/Rondo is certainly interesting on paper but man, if Smith happened and didn't work alone that's one thing, if Rondo/Smith didn't work this team is stuck in deep doodoo for a long time. Probably just interesting enough to see if it worked. Someone like George Karl, Don Nelson, or Rick Adelman would have to be the coach of a squad like that though.
AnDrOiDKing4
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#22 » by AnDrOiDKing4 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:42 pm

I know this worked out for us for the better in the long run but Ainge is pretty overrated. He is focusing on a deal around Brandan Wright in exchange for Rondo.

He had much better offers last year and decided to wait it out ? Hahaha
Lamak wrote:His playstyle is very similar to Derrick Rose, but asian.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#23 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:34 pm

Once again reality sets in on the debate of value. If Ainge was asking for Ben McLemore, IT, and a 1st last year he got a big dose of it this year.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#24 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:35 pm

AnDrOiDKing4 wrote:I know this worked out for us for the better in the long run but Ainge is pretty overrated. He is focusing on a deal around Brandan Wright in exchange for Rondo.

He had much better offers last year and decided to wait it out ? Hahaha

I think it's highly likely the Kings turned that deal down last year, not the other way around. You don't go from that package to the one he's getting unless that was indeed the case. Ben McLemore > anything they got in this trade.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#25 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:38 pm

No, I'm sure that offer was on the table last year. Mclemore looked like a bust and no one appreciated IT until he went into free agency. Trade values change quickly; Ainge screwed up.

I think there was probably some power-brokering behind the scenes, too.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#26 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:45 pm

andy582 wrote:No, I'm sure that offer was on the table last year. Mclemore looked like a bust and no one appreciated IT until he went into free agency. Trade values change quickly; Ainge screwed up.

I think there was probably some power-brokering behind the scenes, too.

That was Ainge spewing jargon to save face. The picks he got were likely even going to be better. Isaiah Thomas was putting up 20 ppg last year, McLemore was still a rookie, and Rondo was even injured to boot. No way does someones value go from that to this. I'm sure he asked, I'm sure he was the one that got turned away. And if he didn't I've lost a lot or respect for Ainge. That said, Ainge is a smart and yes, good GM, I don't buy that he would turn that kind of package down regardless of what McLemore looked like last year only to settle on this.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#27 » by City of Trees » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:11 am

Ainge at least admits defeat and makes a trade.... should have traded Rondo years ago.

Sent from my SM-G900T using RealGM Forums mobile app
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#28 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:16 am

Yeah, but Thomas was considered a shoot-first player on a dysfunctional team- people didn't start appreciating his efficiencies until he went into free agency.

One of the rumors has been that Rondo almost went to SAC but wouldn't sign an extension. I'm sure Rondo's willingness to sign with some teams and not others effected where he ended up. That's what I mean by behind the scenes power brokering. If you're Rajon Rondo, this is the absolute best deal you could get- you leave one good organization for another, you join a semi-contender and get to turn them into a real contender, they're willing to pay for you, they have the shooting bigs to space the floor...
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#29 » by City of Trees » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:51 am

I was speaking in general terms. Not specifically a Kings trade package

Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#30 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:56 am

Sorry, I was responding to SacKingszzz

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#31 » by City of Trees » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:54 am

andy582 wrote:Sorry, I was responding to SacKingszzz

gotcha

SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#32 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:59 am

andy582 wrote:Yeah, but Thomas was considered a shoot-first player on a dysfunctional team- people didn't start appreciating his efficiencies until he went into free agency.

One of the rumors has been that Rondo almost went to SAC but wouldn't sign an extension. I'm sure Rondo's willingness to sign with some teams and not others effected where he ended up. That's what I mean by behind the scenes power brokering. If you're Rajon Rondo, this is the absolute best deal you could get- you leave one good organization for another, you join a semi-contender and get to turn them into a real contender, they're willing to pay for you, they have the shooting bigs to space the floor...

That may have been the case, but the rumors also were that the Kings would trade for Rondo without a guarantee. I just don't think that package was ever really on the table, too tasty for Ainge not to pull the trigger. Ainge is a very good GM, he would have had that package the hot second it was offered I have no doubt. That tells me it was never offered.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#33 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:02 am

Yeah, I don't know.. It's academic now. But Ainge has been very conservative about trades..

Return to Sacramento Kings