ImageImageImageImageImage

Update: Boogie has viral meninigitis, out for 7-10 more days

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Re: Update: Boogie has viral meninigitis, out for 7-10 more 

Post#21 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Dec 8, 2014 6:49 am

Realistically we weren't making the playoffs either way. The top 7 is already set in stone. Take a look at the standings; Dallas is the 7 seed at 16-6. We weren't going to pass any of those teams even with a healthy Cousins. Ostensibly the 8th seed is up for grabs until you realize OKC is healthy now and definitely going to take that last spot. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the 8th seed is well over 50 wins this year. Its a downright brutal conference.

I see us this year as where Portland was two years ago when they started hot only to fade majorly as the season ended. Not suggesting we will fade once Cousins comes back just the rosters are quite similar. They had 4/5 of their starting lineup figured out (I'd argue we're exactly the same) and no bench to speak of (again our current roster is the same). They added Robin Lopez and took off the next year winning 54 games and right now they are a lofty 16-4. If we can just acquire a starting PF this off-season (Millsap please) we will be in great shape for a nice stretch of seasons. As much as I've liked Thompson this year he is a below average starter but he would be an above average first big off the bench.

With Cousins out it exposes how weak we are at the 4 and 5 spots. Improving that situation and giving this team time to jell and build chemistry, time for McLemore to grow up a bit more, and hopefully for Stauskas to become an actual NBA player will put us in a position for multiple 50 win years down the line, coincidentally just in time for the debut of the new arena.
SacTownKings4Life
Starter
And1: 118

Post#22 » by SacTownKings4Life » Mon Dec 8, 2014 9:20 pm

Had we not choked on that first road trip, we would be right there in the pack. Even with the choking, had we not had the injuries we had (Collison & Gay, then Cousins) we would STILL be right there in the pack. Had neither happened, we would be a top seed right now. In the west. When we're healthy we've shown that we can beat anybody, so its not really quite as "tough" in our case as it had been in recent years. Half of the teams ahead of us, we've beaten. The other half we were still right there with them until the end. We've never been "blown out" of any game against these "better" teams. We're just clearly missing a key ingredient that would get us over the hump. We're talking 23 & 12 here. Even with all of our recent losses, we're still barely sitting on the outside looking in, at 9th place. And we all know we're better than what we are right now. We just need Cousins back yesterday.

And you have to believe that at some point the other teams are gonna have to start beating up on each other. Once we play the Jazz and Lakers, we'll have been through the entire western conference within the first 22 games of the season, with 3 teams we played twice. Nobody else has had this type of schedule. It'll even out eventually. I just hope we're not too far back my then.

Sent from my SM-N900T using RealGM Forums mobile app
Just
Image Image
B Cuz
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#23 » by enderwilson » Tue Dec 9, 2014 3:19 pm

As fantastic as it would be to make the playoffs this year, I still would have to believe that making it would be more of a flash-in-the-pan sort of situation, especially with this team. We can all see that we are barely a playoff team WITH Demarcus. And we can all see how much of a a drop-off in ability we have without him. We need to amend the talent level on this team, or at least get the talent we currently have to play at the levels they're capable of. For this, I believe the best solution is gradual, consistent improvement because that is the kind that will last. I don't want a second unit to get us into the playoffs because all of a sudden they're playing beyond their abilities. That can happen but it's not sustainable. I rather we build into a Grizzlies or Warriors, or OKC like organization that are in (relatively) small markets, and have been collecting the right pieces and building chemistry over the years.

Now the news is that DMC is out until January. Ever more reason to consider how to make this team better and just focus on one game at a time. Don't even think about playoffs because its a distraction from what is in front of us. Focus on consistency and continue to do what you're doing right. Focus on correction and fix what you're doing wrong. Each game is a petri-dish and each gives us an idea of how to be a better team so we can win the game after.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#24 » by Kings2013 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:40 am

bleeds_purple wrote:Realistically we weren't making the playoffs either way. The top 7 is already set in stone. Take a look at the standings; Dallas is the 7 seed at 16-6. We weren't going to pass any of those teams even with a healthy Cousins. Ostensibly the 8th seed is up for grabs until you realize OKC is healthy now and definitely going to take that last spot. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the 8th seed is well over 50 wins this year. Its a downright brutal conference.

I see us this year as where Portland was two years ago when they started hot only to fade majorly as the season ended. Not suggesting we will fade once Cousins comes back just the rosters are quite similar. They had 4/5 of their starting lineup figured out (I'd argue we're exactly the same) and no bench to speak of (again our current roster is the same). They added Robin Lopez and took off the next year winning 54 games and right now they are a lofty 16-4. If we can just acquire a starting PF this off-season (Millsap please) we will be in great shape for a nice stretch of seasons. As much as I've liked Thompson this year he is a below average starter but he would be an above average first big off the bench.

With Cousins out it exposes how weak we are at the 4 and 5 spots. Improving that situation and giving this team time to jell and build chemistry, time for McLemore to grow up a bit more, and hopefully for Stauskas to become an actual NBA player will put us in a position for multiple 50 win years down the line, coincidentally just in time for the debut of the new arena.

I believe the top 8 from last year in the West do look good to return to the playoffs.. It was going to be tough to get there even if we were healthy

Millsap might be out of range, although I'm not sure. I don't know much about his game but if I'm hearing a lot about him on the podcasts there might be a market for him. For Sacramento, we usually gotta catch them while they are undervalued.. but who knows how it will shape out this summer
PaKwAn
Veteran
And1: 1,529

Post#25 » by PaKwAn » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:02 am

what sucks is this might cost him a spot for the all star team....
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by Kings2013 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:18 am

I will say that there is something anti-climactic about the season when we already know as of 12/10/2014 that we're going to be in no mans land. No playoffs, and that record and our improvement in other areas derails any notion of a tank. The only question is whether we are giving up this top 10 protected pick

Not that I'm complaining as the goals this year are to take that next step and develop an identity
bleeds_purple
Analyst

Post#27 » by bleeds_purple » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:27 am

If no man's land means we have a young, competitive team that when healthy can beat anyone on any night, has cap space moving into the off-season, has a dominant big man, and is finally freaking fun to watch for this first time in what seems like forever, sign me the hell up ASAP.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Kings2013 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:55 am

bleeds_purple wrote:If no man's land means we have a young, competitive team that when healthy can beat anyone on any night, has cap space moving into the off-season, has a dominant big man, and is finally freaking fun to watch for this first time in what seems like forever, sign me the hell up ASAP.

No mans land means the team won't be in a position to make the playoffs or get a premium pick, regardless of the state of the team.. I'm assuming you knew that. It's subjective, but I believe there is more to immediate stimulate the mind during a certain year when your either in a position to make the playoffs or get a top pick.

I do appreciate that as an organization we are making strides, and again was/am not complaining about where we are
bleeds_purple
Analyst

Post#29 » by bleeds_purple » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:12 am

Kings2013 wrote:No mans land means the team won't be in a position to make the playoffs or get a premium pick, regardless of the state of the team.. I'm assuming you knew that. It's subjective, but I believe there is more to immediate stimulate the mind during a certain year when your either in a position to make the playoffs or get a top pick.

I do appreciate that as an organization we are making strides, and again was/am not complaining about where we are

I'd call it no man's land if we were at where were at with only veteran players who had no upside but that's not the case.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by Kings2013 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:19 am

bleeds_purple wrote:
Kings2013 wrote:No mans land means the team won't be in a position to make the playoffs or get a premium pick, regardless of the state of the team.. I'm assuming you knew that. It's subjective, but I believe there is more to immediate stimulate the mind during a certain year when your either in a position to make the playoffs or get a top pick.

I'd call it no man's land if we were at where were at with only veteran players who had no upside but that's not the case.

Again, I was using the term "no man's land" to refer strictly to the team's lottery standings for this coming year. Not the roster at all. Maybe I should clarify it more when I use the term. Whenever I have seen it on the internet, in forums or from writers, I have believed the term to mean a team that is not making the playoffs or not getting a top pick regardless of the state of the franchise.

Let's put it this way, as of 12/10/2014 us as fans can already assume we won't be in the playoffs or getting a top lottery pick, which to me is a bit anti-climactic, even though I appreciate the strides we are making :)
bleeds_purple
Analyst

Post#31 » by bleeds_purple » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:21 am

Kings2013 wrote:Again, I was using the term "no man's land" to refer strictly to the team's lottery standings for this coming year. Not the roster at all. Maybe I should clarify it more when I use the term. Whenever I have seen it on the internet, in forums or from writers, I have believed the term to mean a team that is not making the playoffs or not getting a top pick regardless of the state of the franchise.

Let's put it this way, as of 12/10/2014 us as fans can already assume we won't be in the playoffs or getting a top lottery pick, which to me is a bit anti-climactic, even though I appreciate the strides we are making :)

I'd say were in transition - no man's land just sounds like there's no future for you. But I suppose we're just disagreeing on semantics.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by Kings2013 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:33 am

bleeds_purple wrote:
Kings2013 wrote:Again, I was using the term "no man's land" to refer strictly to the team's lottery standings for this coming year. Not the roster at all. Maybe I should clarify it more when I use the term. Whenever I have seen it on the internet, in forums or from writers, I have believed the term to mean a team that is not making the playoffs or not getting a top pick regardless of the state of the franchise.

I'd say were in transition - no man's land just sounds like there's no future for you. But I suppose we're just disagreeing on semantics.

I didn't mean it to sound that way at all. I am a hardcore fan. I believe in this team we have. I believe Cousins will be top 5, and that if you kept this core together now they will definitely hit that goal of making the playoffs for the new arena

Return to Sacramento Kings