ImageImageImageImageImage

Coach Malone has been fired

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,245

Re: Coach Malone has been fired 

Post#141 » by blind prophet » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:59 pm

LamarMatic7 wrote:I've read articles from all over the place, Zach Lowe, Woj, Sam Amick, Kelly Dwyer, etc.

A lot of hilarious stuff in those columns (I was surprised that Woj's article stated that "Some semblance of that strategy is expected to be employed with Corbin now, a source told Yahoo Sports," when talking about Vivek's 4-on-5 idea. I gathered from the talk on twitter, with Zach Lowe being among the ones who's involved, that this won't happen at all.) but I do find myself having one serious question for you guys:

Are D'Alessandro and Mullin simply clueless, are they "yes men" or they simply just want to hold on to their jobs (and possibly privately think that Vivek is indeed over-stepping his boundaries while not knowing what the hell he is doing)?

What do you think?

The 4 on 5 is bs.

They maxed Cousins and the national media called them morons, they traded for Gay and most said they had no idea what they were doing, they let IT go and most had something bad to say.

Maybe they saw something they didn't like with Malone and have a plan here.

But its much more amusing to say hey the Kings want to play 4 on 5 and Royce White is the reason things fell apart.

All of that is bs.
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#142 » by enderwilson » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:50 pm

LamarMatic7 wrote:I've read articles from all over the place, Zach Lowe, Woj, Sam Amick, Kelly Dwyer, etc.

A lot of hilarious stuff in those columns (I was surprised that Woj's article stated that "Some semblance of that strategy is expected to be employed with Corbin now, a source told Yahoo Sports," when talking about Vivek's 4-on-5 idea. I gathered from the talk on twitter, with Zach Lowe being among the ones who's involved, that this won't happen at all.) but I do find myself having one serious question for you guys:

Are D'Alessandro and Mullin simply clueless, are they "yes men" or they simply just want to hold on to their jobs (and possibly privately think that Vivek is indeed over-stepping his boundaries while not knowing what the hell he is doing)?

What do you think?

Signing Cuz, trading for Gay, swapping IT for Collison. Each of these were argued as clueless with the NBA and media braintrusts were scratching their heads. Now what do they say? I would include myself among those who are scratching their head about the Malone firing, but the dust has yet to settle. If we start a backward slide, then this would be the first real mistake this FO has made since taking the reigns. Not sure it justifies rounding up a lynch mob just yet. People need to chill.

Are they yes men? I believe the correct answer to be yes.

The part about Vivek being too hands-on has me a little concerned. If we turn into the west-coast Dallas Mavericks and Vivek becomes our Marc Cuban, then OK I guess. I just hope that Vivek's impatience gives way to an understanding that stability is an important factor in long term success.
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#143 » by enderwilson » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:03 pm

As a fan, I have to say that one of the things I really loved about the golden era of Kings basketball was that those teams were like family. You really got to know each of the players, loved their game, and could really see that they loved to play with and for each other. While winning was great, it was also the love for the game and players that really makes me nostalgic for those times.

I was really enjoying the beginning of this season. The team was coming together. You have Cousins, grabbing Malone and talking him down off the ledge. Omri straightening out Cuz's headband. It was beginning to bring back the warm and fuzzies I used to have for my team. I want a team like that again. Wins or losses, I want to care about the players.

I'm a little jaded by the business model approach to basketball. If I don't care about the people on the team, then the wins and losses don't matter as much. I want to like the people who are playing together, and for that to happen I need to see them liking to play with and for each other. If you keep stirring the pot, and adding different ingredients, you'll never have the time to know if your ingredients blend together or not. Almost everyone knows that soup is better the day after its made.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#144 » by City of Trees » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:48 pm

I'm starting to think that Vivek may be a problem... like a Jerry Jones/ Al Davis problem. We don't need an owner so hands on. Let the people you hire to make the decisions, make decisions. I'm a little nervous about the Mullin rumor... If not true then why isn't Karl the coach yet. Karl all but said for the Kings to please hire him yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G900T using RealGM Forums mobile app
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#145 » by LamarMatic7 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:02 pm

blind prophet wrote:But its much more amusing to say hey the Kings want to play 4 on 5 and Royce White is the reason things fell apart.

All of that is bs.

I, obviously, don't expect that to happen and I didn't come in here solely amused by the 4 on 5 plan and Royce White. Just mentioned it that I found it interesting that Woj would even say that.

My question was something completely different.
SacTown Kings
Lead Assistant
And1: 133

Post#146 » by SacTown Kings » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:06 pm

Its sounding more and more like Mullin will be the new coach.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#147 » by blind prophet » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:22 pm

LamarMatic7 wrote:
blind prophet wrote:But its much more amusing to say hey the Kings want to play 4 on 5 and Royce White is the reason things fell apart.

All of that is bs.

I, obviously, don't expect that to happen and I didn't come in here solely amused by the 4 on 5 plan and Royce White. Just mentioned it that I found it interesting that Woj would even say that.

My question was something completely different.

Was quoted in reply to you, but a portion of my comment was also directed in general to everyone who may believe that baloney.

I could of broke it up into 2 posts I suppose.

But I'm glad you don't by it either. Woj normally does a better job. I'm almost starting to believe there is an agenda against Vivek right now they way people have been talking about everything he has done. Nothing in recent memory has been supported by anyone initially that he has done besides the Rudy Gay extension and its price.
Wolfay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 649

Post#148 » by Wolfay » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:34 pm

My theory is the national media is still butthurt the team didn't go to Seattle, so they'll bash Vivek until he falls over dead, or Sacramento is nuked into oblivion. Persecution complex? Maybe, but we all know how the narrative went right up until the final vote. How dare this man stop the glorious return of the Sonics!
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#149 » by blind prophet » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Wolfay wrote:My theory is the national media is still butthurt the team didn't go to Seattle, so they'll bash Vivek until he falls over dead, or Sacramento is nuked into oblivion. Persecution complex? Maybe, but we all know how the narrative went right up until the final vote. How dare this man stop the glorious return of the Sonics!

Seems like that, or maybe it's just hip to hate on Sacramento.

We've got to fight a Magoof legacy that is gonna reek for a few more years. That's how bad it was. Maybe we should consider that, could be a conspiracy of sorts too.

We've waited for years to finally have it known we are going to stay around and get an arena, our franchise player and Rudy have been disrespected for a long time, the pizza guy is killing Phoenix chemistry...

Screw them.

Now I'm very concerned with the next phase the Kings are going to take, but this is just 1 year and a quarter season of work so far.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#150 » by City of Trees » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:30 pm

Amick is reporting Kings will let Corbin coach the rest of the season. Crap! Way to crush the hearts of Kings fans Vivek...

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#151 » by City of Trees » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:30 pm

Also, one can easily connect the dots with Mullin here.

SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#152 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:52 pm

What do you think?

Here's the deal. Vivek is fairly new to the game by his own admission. His first taste of the game was coaching his daughters middle school team or something and he instituted some gimmicky crap and won some ribbon or something. He became buddies with Mullin and I'm sure Mullin has been his guiding force on his excursion into NBA ownership. Mullin sits courtside with him and supposedly is on the payroll as an "advisor". D'allesandro is Mully's boy. As soon as it was time to pick a GM Vivek reportedly wanted Larry Bird. Bird said thanks but no thanks and Mullin pretty much hand picked D'allesandro for Vivek. Vivek likes smart people, D'allesandro is a smart dude. Basketball smart? I don't know. I guess we'll see now because it's full on his show so anything that happens falls at his feet. He's made some good moves, some questionable. But this always looked like a ship with 5 captains, hopefully that changes because even though I don't agree with the firing I know that history says a situation like that rarely if ever works.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#153 » by KF10 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:58 pm

Sam Amick was on KHTK today and he clarified the whole Malone "opposed" the Cousins extension:

DMC’s extension: "Late in the process Malone jumped on board and was just fine giving him the extension, it was more ’Let’s make him work for it."

This makes a lot more sense.

"’Let’s make him work for it."

I have no issues with that.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#154 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:59 pm

City of Trees wrote:I'm starting to think that Vivek may be a problem... like a Jerry Jones/ Al Davis problem. We don't need an owner so hands on. Let the people you hire to make the decisions, make decisions. I'm a little nervous about the Mullin rumor... If not true then why isn't Karl the coach yet. Karl all but said for the Kings to please hire him yesterday.

I don't know about that. I think Vivek being involved is not quite as bad as that because I don't think his personality is the same as those two. They were/are my way or the highway types. I think Viveks problem may be that he is willing to listen too much. Crazy ideas aside I think he can be talked into things and in this situation he was being barked at from more than one direction and being told different things. Maybe one voice in his ear, if that is the case now, will be a good thing. I think Vivek falls for people really quick then gives them the car keys. Of course with him as soon as you're time is up apparently your time is up. I'm not sure that's a good thing for a basketball owner. Just hopefully he doesn't feel the same way about players because if he does it's going to be Maloof 3.0.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#155 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:00 pm

City of Trees wrote:Also, one can easily connect the dots with Mullin here.

I honestly think Mullin is too smart for that. He has a nice kush job sitting courtside with the boss. He'd be a fool to risk that.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#156 » by blind prophet » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:09 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:

I honestly think Mullin is too smart for that. He has a nice kush job sitting courtside with the boss. He'd be a fool to risk that.

Agreed. Mullin would be a fool to accept the coaching gig under these circumstances.

If they did not have Corbin, I could see him stepping in till it was resolved, but nothing more.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#157 » by City of Trees » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:33 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
City of Trees wrote:I'm starting to think that Vivek may be a problem... like a Jerry Jones/ Al Davis problem. We don't need an owner so hands on. Let the people you hire to make the decisions, make decisions. I'm a little nervous about the Mullin rumor... If not true then why isn't Karl the coach yet. Karl all but said for the Kings to please hire him yesterday.

I don't know about that. I think Vivek being involved is not quite as bad as that because I don't think his personality is the same as those two. They were/are my way or the highway types.
having an owner involved can be great, if they know basketball. I just get the impression he isn't well educated in the game of basketball. However IMO as far as business structure, R & D, ect I think Vivek will excell as an owner.....

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#158 » by City of Trees » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:42 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:

I hear that and if that's the case then logically I couldn't argue.... but look at this from a different lens for a sec....

1. Mullin shares the same ideology
2. Reports say Mullin declined a mid season take over. That mid season part is important. Mullin didn't just simply say no thanks.
3. Mullin now plans to have a larger presence in practices and in games.
4. Vivek's choice is Mullin
5. No other coaches have been contacted about the job- allegedly
6. Karl has spoken publicly that he wants to coach the Kings. Kings haven't even contacted him. The writing there is on the wall.

Mullin may very well not coach the Kings however there are multiple signs that point to it happening..... but who knows.

Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,218

Post#159 » by Clemenza » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:01 am

Wolfay wrote:My theory is the national media is still butthurt the team didn't go to Seattle, so they'll bash Vivek until he falls over dead, or Sacramento is nuked into oblivion. Persecution complex? Maybe, but we all know how the narrative went right up until the final vote. How dare this man stop the glorious return of the Sonics!

So you approved of Malone being fired? This was a good move to you??
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#160 » by Kings2013 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:25 am

I personally maintain a secret agreement with karl has been reached, and you can sense his confidence in those Sirius comments. They are waiting to install him because they want to give him a few weeks to ready his ability to coach the team mid season IMO. We will see

Return to Sacramento Kings